Wednesday News Headlines

Harvard_Square_Subway_Kiosk

Good Morning!!

This is going to be a brief open thread–just some headlines to get you started on the day. I apologize for not being able to write a full post. JJ is dealing with some urgent family problems, I’m at my mom’s house helping her get ready for several out-of-town guests, and Dakinikat is taking her pets to the vet. Dak and I will be around this afternoon.

So here’s what’s happening in the headlines this morning.

CNN: Syrian warplanes strike in Iraq, killing 57 civilians, official says.

BBC: Russian and Ukrainian media consider Putin step

An Arkansas GOP official said of Hillary Clinton: ‘She’d Probably Get Shot at the State Line’.

But the official, Johnny Rhoda, didn’t actually mean what he said as a threat.

And he claims his remarks were “taken way out of context,” because he was laughing when he said them.

Actor Eli Wallach has died: ‘Good, the Bad and the Ugly’ Star Eli Wallach Dies at 98 (Hollywood Reporter).

WaPo: Cochran beats McDaniel in nail-biter in Mississippi.

Mother Jones: A Mississippi Surprise: GOP Sen. Cochran Beats Back Tea Party Champion.

Dick Cheney just won’t go away. From the Hill, Cheney: Next attack ‘likely’ deadlier than 9/11.

CNN: FIFA starts disciplinary action against Luis Suarez after biting claims.

Reuters: New York Congressman Charles Rangel claims victory in Democratic primary.

Reuters: Seattle Archdiocese to pay $12 million to settle child sex abuse claims: lawyer.

What stories are you following today? Have a great “hump day,” Sky Dancers!

29 Comments on “Wednesday News Headlines”

1. joanelle says:

I honestly think that some of those right leaning folks I.e. Chaney, actually want another attack here in the US. And I think they believe if they say it enough, it will happen.

2. Fannie says:

Johnny Rhoda is chairman of Republican Party, and was appointed by his party. He is not an elected official. I called the Republican Party of Arkansas (501-372-7301)…….and asked the young man who answered what exactly did Johnny Rhoda say about Hillary Clinton being shot at the border. He said, his statement was taken out of context, and that it’s become COMICAL. I asked him, did you just say this kind of talk, kind of threat is COMICAL, it’s funny? Then he told me I was taking it out of context. There is nothing funny about the image of Hillary Clinton being shot if she shows up in Arkansas.

I also called the Democratic Party, and they have released a statement asking for an apology. I was told that I had reason to be concerned about Johnny’s statement, that people in Arkansas are not terrorist. The Democratic party was “disappointed” in his statement. Note this also a young man.

At what point does the message become, we will not tolerate people who make threats of gun violence against women in this country.

I left a message with Governor………….I know the FBI, the Secret Service is likely looking into this, but here is where people, men and women stand up, and stop this kind of bullying, and talk. I don’t have video of exactly what he said, so if someone has a link, please share.

Melissa at Shakesville on the Rhoda comments:

David Catanese, the senior political writer for U.S. News & World Report, reported this with a lede describing Rhoda’s words as “colorful language.”

This is not “colorful language.” It’s violent, threatening, eliminationist language.

I don’t care how anyone feels personally or politically about Hillary Clinton. That a male politician can use this sort of language to speak about a prominent female politician, and have it be reported as just another day in politics ha ha, should concern anyone who has even the most modest investment in a future in which women can and do run for public office.

4. ANonOMouse says:

“The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that Utah’s ban on gay marriage was unconstitutional, becoming the first appellate court in the country to find a constitutional right for same-sex couples to marry”

• ANonOMouse says:

“Today the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver ruled in favor of same-sex couples’ freedom to marry, upholding a marriage ruling out of Utah in December. It is the first ruling by a federal appellate court since last year’s victory in the Supreme Court and, unless reversed, will pave the way for the freedom to marry throughout the 10th Circuit, including in Colorado, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Kansas. Evan Wolfson, president of Freedom to Marry, released the following statement: “Today, from the heart of the Mountain West, in a case arising out of Utah, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals has brought us one giant step closer to the day when all Americans will have the freedom to marry. This first federal appellate ruling affirms what more than 20 other courts all across the country have found: There is no good reason to perpetuate unfair marriage discrimination any longer. America is ready for the freedom to marry, and it is time for the Supreme Court to bring our country to national resolution and it should do so now.”

• Fannie says:

I was so totally bummed, Cyrstal Moore who lost her job as Chief of Police, and had election to change things. Know what the mayor did, yesterday during the election he hired a new Chief of Police. Let’s see how long he keeps his job. What BS.

Glad to hear the other states are on board.

• RalphB says:

Just got back from Vet. They are testing Miles for thyroid issues and diabetes. Temple has whip worms and tape worms and heart worms. The expense is just overwhelming but I have started trying to get every one well. Gonna take a nap. Bbl.

Sorry, Dak. I hope it’s thyroid. That would be easier to deal with than diabetes. Get rest and take care.

• Fannie says:

Dak…make sure they aren’t having a reaction to something in their dog food, like corn. Also, plenty, plenty of water. You can buy worm medications from Feed supply store, might be cheaper. Hope your dogs get better, and are soon galloping throughout your house.

I just had two different dogs, with my Murph. He was besides himself at first. He lived in terror of the the 7 lb. chiguagua, honestly, Murph is 110 lbs. Everybody had to be separated from the kitchen area.

The tests results for Miles my old cat are pending. The tape and whip worm meds weren’t awful but it takes like $500 of antibiotics and $900 of misc stuff for the heart worms. Doing that is pretty necessary because it can get incurable at some point and it also is a horrible way to live and die for a dog. It is just horribly common down here unfortunately. Have no idea what Miles situation will cost me.

• Delphyne49 says:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Temple has those horrible worms – when I got Kylie, she had the first 2 and, thankfully, not heartworms. She did have epilepsy, though, which just complicated everything. She tested positive for lyme a couple of years ago, but shows no signs of that.

I hope Temple gets through the heartworm treatment – wish I were closer so that I could help keep her calm during that. I do know about the worry about the vet expense. It weighs heavily.

Take care of yourself during all of this…xoxo

I can’t believe the expense for the heartworm treatments … About $1400. With my current adjunct status, that’s huge but it just gets worse if you don’t get it done and she has no symptoms yet.

The vet and aides loved Temple. We still can’t figure out what she has other than catahoula. Vet said that it could even be a very determined dachshund parent! Guess I will have to save up my pennies for a DNA test some day to satisfy my curiosity.

I am actually fortunate to teach from home because I will be able to watch her. It will take around a month and when the actual shots start I will have to cage rest her. She’s great at staying with me though. She never leaves my side. When I work, she stays under my desk. I have never had a dog that is so attached and in such short time.

Hope all goes as well as possible.

6. RalphB says:

Clarion-Ledger: Cochran wins runoff; McDaniel refuses to concede, plans challenge

Those tea partiers are a bunch of sore loser assholes.

• Fannie says:

Come November, I want to see Travis W. Childers in the US Senate! McDaniels is a A-1, asshole.

• RalphB says:

The DNC and donors should spend some money in the race, but probably won’t. We need to bring back Howard Dean’s 50 state strategy.

Yeah, that was one of the things I liked about Dean. Back the good local candidates, in each state, and after a few years they’ll be moving up. And again, in a few more years, and then ready for federal-level Senate and House campaigns.