download (4)I’ve been blogging over 10 years and we’re up to another birthday for sky dancing. I’m looking at the bill from word press for the blog gee gaws and I keep thinking I’d go nuts without this community of good people.  But as for adulting and blogging,  I just cant today.

The state of our Nation is summed up by the piece of toilet paper stuck to the Russian’ Potted Plant’s shoe. He’s busy unraveling everything done by Obama and yet, he rides the crest of an economy left to him.  He’ll own our economy next year and watch what happens.

He gleefully led his vindictive and cruel bunch of white ragers in another chant made to bully another woman. Mississippi Goddam.  I expect more attacks on women, immigrant children, and the voting rights of POC as he drags his knuckles and more toilet paper from sea to shining sea in search of a group of scared angry, hyperreligious white people who will wave signs, adore him, and vote for his agenda of greed and disruption.

As per usual, he’s oblivious to his trail of shit and garbage.

In a week consumed by a fraught Supreme Court confirmation battle, you could probably use a little levity. To that end, on Thursday, a video of Trump boarding Air Force One with toilet paper apparently stuck to his shoe surfaced. And it’s everything you imagined.

Nothing to see here. A “hanging will not” always sticks to TP.   But … here’s the Trump future …

Still the vile hubris and the gut choking debris …

The cloture vote passed but the confirmation vote is out there.  It’s important to recognize that there were some folks that voted for the right thing.

Fifty-one senators voted for cloture, and 49 against. Among the notable votes, Republican Jeff Flake of Arizona voted yes, while Lisa Murkowski, an Alaska Republican, voted no. Only one Democrat, West Virginia’s Joe Manchin, voted for cloture.

The final vote on Kavanaugh is expected Saturday afternoon, assuming there are no snags, but it’s still unclear how a few key senators will vote

Heidi Heitkamp voted no and called it one of the most difficult votes she’d had ever cast.  As BB mentioned yesterday, this could cost her the seat. She’s going to see it through.

Heitkamp added that she did think of the people of North Dakota when making her decision, “Countless North Dakotans and others close to me have since reached out and told me their stories of being raped or sexually assaulted—and expressed the same anguish and fear. I’m in awe of their courage, too,” she said. “Some of them reported their abuse at the time, but others said nothing until now. Survivors should be respected for having the strength to share what happened to them — even if a generation has since passed. They still feel the scars and suffer the trauma of abuse.”

Heitkamp also made sure to say that she was willing to cooperate and work with the president on any other Supreme Court candidate he nominates. “There are many extremely qualified candidates to serve on the Court. I’m ready to work with the President to confirm a nominee who is suited for the honor and distinction of serving this lifetime appointment,” she said.

Meanwhile, the question is do they have 50 for the confirmation?  It has become deeply amazing to me that such a small number of states can elect bugfuck crazy senators that represent fewer people than one  neighborhood in greater LA and the rest of us have to live with it.  From Axios:

Sources involved with Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation were nervous going into today’s 10:30 a.m. test vote, Jonathan Swan reports:

• Four senators are undecideds: Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).

A senior source involved in the process told Swan fairly late last night:

• “We’re going into this vote and we don’t have 50 right now.”
  • “There’s been a lot of work that was done today, by members wading through this material. I don’t want to put my thumb on the scale. Things keep moving — so much, it feels like we’re walking on quicksand. So I don’t even want to say confidence or not confidence.”

“Sometimes you just have to vote,” the source added. “But what if … something f—g happens in the morning? This whole process has just been … so much drama, so many balls coming out at the last minute.”

At 7:30 last night, Kavanaugh gave his final argument in a Wall Street Journal op-ed, “I Am an Independent, Impartial Judge: Yes, I was emotional last Thursday. I hope everyone can understand I was there as a son, husband and dad.”

• “I might have been too emotional at times. I know that my tone was sharp, and I said a few things I should not have said.”
  • Be smart: The piece looks wildly desperate. It’s a sign of how worried Team Kavanaugh is that a Supreme Court nominee felt he had to publish a last-minute op-ed to promise he’s not going to be emotional, but rather an independent, impartial Supreme Court justice.

As long as it can be prolonged, even if its for a Senator I’ve never heard of going back to the outback for his daughter’s wedding, more lawyers come out against him and we see more of this like today in WAPO:  “We were Brett Kavanaugh’s drinking buddies. We don’t think he should be confirmed.”

We were college classmates and drinking buddies with Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh. In the past week, all three of us decided separately to respond to questions from the media regarding Brett’s honesty, or lack thereof. In each of our cases, it was his public statements during a Fox News TV interview and his sworn testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee that prompted us to speak out.

We each asserted that Brett lied to the Senate by stating, under oath, that he never drank to the point of forgetting what he was doing. We said, unequivocally, that each of us, on numerous occasions, had seen Brett stumbling drunk to the point that it would be impossible for him to state with any degree of certainty that he remembered everything that he did when drunk.

and a few senators that keep trying to do the right thing but can’t seem to find it in them  … with the exception of Heidi from North Dakota who decided that it’s was the only thing she could do to face herself in the mirror each day.  Lisa Murkowski evidently listened to her heart and constituents and voted no also. This man would be disastrous for indigenous Alaskans.

For a moment we hoped that Colorado’s Cory Gardiner would man up.  Gardiner’s office is one of the few senators still accepting phone calls though so it’s worth a shot.

The senator wants to finish reading the FBI report before making a decision, spokesman Casey Contres said. Gardner said he’d vote yes on Kavanaugh’s confirmation after meeting with the judge in July. However, that was before several women accused him of sexual misconduct.

Later Thursday, Politico reporter Burgess Everett tweeted that Gardner was sticking with Kavanaugh: “New statement: ‘Senator Gardner has been supportive of Judge Kavanaugh throughout the nomination. He had the opportunity to review the FBI report tonight. Nothing in the report changed his mind and he remains supportive of Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination.’”

Gardner’s office didn’t respond to a request to confirm whether the tweet was accurate.

Most of them are like silly Ben Sasse from Nebraska who talks a good game but goosesteps right down the path to plutocracy.  Don’t even get me started on Flaky Jeff.  Then, there is my Senator Kennedy who should just eat shit and die.  The nonsense spewing from his mouth is downright embarrassing unless you’re a duckbilly from Monroe.

From ” The Fix : ‘I don’t think their mother breast-fed them’: GOP senator attacks Democrats who oppose Kavanaugh”

It kept getting worse: “With FBI report on Kavanaugh, John Kennedy says ‘put down the bong’ if you think concern is genuine”

It’s tough living in a state full of religious whackos and racists.  I was born in one (Oklahoma), raised in two (Iowa and Nebraska), and the only thing I found that’s possible for me to do down here in Louisiana is stay in Orleans Parish or fear the white plague. The rest of the state is full of a few good people and a lot of really fucked up ones.

Sen. Kennedy: Kavanaugh ‘just didn’t do it’ Louisiana’s other U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy, also a Republican, said he came to the same conclusion following a review of the FBI report.

White men do not seem to understand modern sexual assault laws passed in the 1970s.  They have no apparent knowledge that outcry witnesses count more than any “he said”.  They frighten us into silence no more. Any one lays a hand on me today. I out cry to my two friends and head to the police.

I’m done for the day. I’ll pop in to see what you say because we’re a safe space.  I’m afraid the rest of the country isn’t.  If you see a white man, run for your life unless he identifies himself as a friend of woman and people of color or announces he is or knows what it is to be a friend of Dorothy clearly. Hide your daughters, your mothers, your cousins, and your aunties away from the likes of Brent Kavanaugh and my Senator Kennedy. Women’s lives are increasing endangered.

We must continue to stand with each other and with the other targets of white patriarchy.  We must value the lives and rights of all oppressed peoples more and learn to leave whatever whiteness buys us in the dust. We cannot enable this.  We must fight along women of all colors and disenfranchised men for an equal presence and voice in our country and we must work to see if our white identities prevent us from doing so.  We must listen more to women of color and establish their unique positions in the struggle for women’s equality.

What’s on your reading and blogging list today?

Be excellent to each other.

49 Comments on “Friday Reads: In Other news, POS sticks to toilet paper and 30% of the population votes for 70% of the Senate”

…says the man who has to hire people to stand behind him and clap. He can’t believe people would actually show up because SCOTUS affects their very lives.

I’m going to make some chili and get some grading done. just wanted to let you know that my roof is fixed and that as of Sunday, my electricity seems to be holding. So, when it rains like it did yesterday, I stay dry and the lights stay on.

I love you all … Happy 10 years of blogging together!!!

I can’t believe it’s been so long. I don’t know what I would have done without this blog and all of you Sky Dancers!

• Riverbird says:

Thank you for ten years of worthwhile blog posts.

• Enheduanna says:

Happy 10 Years to you Dak, BB and JJ and all the front pagers and posters! You guys are my little support network because family doesn’t always live up to that for me. You kept me sane in 2008 and 2016. It doesn’t get any easier, does it.

So nice to know I’m not alone.

Happy 10! Glad to hear the roof is holding and the electricity too.

Fed the kitty a bit.

Thanks! It’s hard to believe it’s October and that time again! But, we’ve all been together pretty much since they beat Hillary down the first time out of the gate sooooo … still bitter knitting together ….

• purplefinn says:

Congratulations on 10 years!! This is my go to site when I need to understand the political scene and find a glimmer of hope and/or humor. Thank you all for calling out the threats to our democracy and championing our most inclusive values.

• Jslat says:

Thanks for being a safe place for us all. We’ve been through alot together since 2008.

Read these inspirational stories …

• Enheduanna says:

Excellent choice by the committee this time. It’s unbelievable what humans can do to one another.

8. Pat Johnson says:

Has it been 10 years already? Unbelievable!

My hair was a different color then. One of my granddaughter’s began Kindergarten and today is a high school sophomore with a learning permit.

I lived in a big house and am now in a condo. I owned a different car. I lived in the city but am now in a small town. Some things change, others not so much.

We are still New Dealers. We’ve lived with the highs and lows of politics. We stayed true to Hillary even though we often shed tears. We believe in much the same things when it comes to government. We recognize right from wrong. We love our country and its diversity but we can also criticize when it attacks our ideals.

What we recognized in one another was our shared strength. Our singular courage. The much needed humor we all need to survive. We prize intelligence and thought. We appreciate one another and the 10 years we have shared together validates that.

We grow old but hopefully wiser. We can still laugh with each other and we can cry along together when it gets heavy. From vast distances we connect. We have discovered the common thread which is the humanity we share.

This is what you all mean to me. For a little while each day we “stay in touch”. Thanks to the wonderful, talented writers and posters who make it a little easier to get through each day. It means a lot.

fragile white snowflake man

I was only throwing a temper tantrum as a father, a son and a husband. As a judge, I am a mind of pure light floating in a vat. The person you saw will cease to exist when he is appointed to the highest court of the land.
    …And when immediately after the hearing I went to the Columbia Country Club golf course, burrowed into the sand hazard up to my waist and hissed like a crab at anyone who approached until I had to be removed by staff, that was just me being a person.

Anyone else get a flash vision of stepping hard on this Kavanaugh sand crab and hearing the crackle-squash? Of course, I would not do that to a real crab.

She’s making a case that he’s not radical right now. I honestly think she’s completely ignored his days as a political operative and we’re all fucked. She hates the political activity around him while ignoring he’s a creature of it.

Well that’s some good news anyway. Thanks Luna.

It was only 2nd-degree murder, but it’s been so hard to get cops convicted of murdering black people, even with videocam evidence, so this is an important verdict.

It’s lost. Manchin just caved and Collins just gave the most incredible shit sandwich of a speech ever. She deliberately ignored facts and gave a high handed speech on presumption of innocence. She ignored the outcry witnesses that were decades old. She ignored his political screed and temper tantrum completely. It sounded like the legal arguments part was written weeks ago and she just plastered a never believe an assault victim screed on top of it.

what a shitty woman she is!

• purplefinn says:

What is Manchin’s excuse? What’s the point of his calling himself a Democrat, if his vote is owned by the Republican Party?

14. RonStill4Hills says:

First of all, much love to Nina Simone.

Second, Susan Collins is a piece of shit.

I know that sounds a bit narrow, but here it is.

I will contribute to the campaign of whoever run against her. If it is a syphilitic monkey he has got my money.

16. Jslat says:

Over 2 million $ raised!!!!

The U.S.’s laws re: representation makes me despair we’ll ever get a government which reflects what most of us believe in.

18. Happy 10 years! Thank you for being my port in the storm. Three nights this week, I’ve had random paralyzing dreams in which some major part of my life is shown to be a lie! The Republican assault on The Truth has even turned my sleepworld dreams into nightmares. Keep reporting The Truth!

Hi ! You’re welcome and I’m glad you’re here!!! I think it’s just important we have a place free from all the gaslighting so we know that it’s not only us that feel misplaced. I took break for last night and today just to breathe.

19. RonStill4Hills says:

I love you people. I really do. Thank you so much for what you allow me to share and what you all share back. I would not know what to do without you.