Thursday Reads

carrie-and-debbie

Good Morning!!

We just have three more days to go before we reach the bitter end of this terrible year, but there’s still plenty of time for things to get even worse.

Another Hollywood Icon Gone

Last night Debbie Reynolds left us, just one day after her daughter Carrie died. It sure seems as if Debbie died of a broken heart.

Variety: Debbie Reynolds, ‘Singin’ in the Rain’ Star and Carrie Fisher’s Mother, Dies at 84.

Debbie Reynolds, the Oscar-nominated singer-actress who was the mother of late actress Carrie Fisher, has died at Cedars-Sinai hospital. She was 84.

“She wanted to be with Carrie,” her son Todd Fisher told Variety.

She was taken to the hospital from Carrie Fisher’s Beverly Hills house Wednesday after suffering a stroke, the day after her daughter Carrie Fisher died.

The vivacious blonde, who had a close but sometimes tempestuous relationship with her daughter, was one of MGM’s principal stars of the 1950s and ’60s in such films as the 1952 classic “Singin’ in the Rain” and 1964’s “The Unsinkable Molly Brown,” for which she received an Oscar nomination as best actress.

Reynolds received the SAG lifetime achievement award in January 2015; in August of that year the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences voted to present the actress with the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the Nov. 14 Governors Awards, but she was unable to attend the ceremony due to an “unexpectedly long recovery from a recent surgery.”

Reynolds had a wholesome girl-next-door look which was coupled with a no-nonsense attitude in her roles. They ranged from sweet vehicles like “Tammy” to more serious fare such as “The Rat Race” and “How the West Was Won.” But amid all the success, her private life was at the center of one of the decade’s biggest scandals when then-husband, singer Eddie Fisher, left her for Elizabeth Taylor in 1958.

Advertisements

17 Comments on “Thursday Reads”

Interesting thoughts on Cervantes’ addled hero there. I’m just laying low. This year has nearly done me in. I have a feeling 2017 is going to be awful. I keep hoping Death Visits Trump Tower next.

2. joanelle says:

oh, my. I have always found that what I think about most, what I hold in my heart and or ‘worry’ about is that shows up in my life.
    I’m sure you may find that a bit pollyannish, but that’s what’s actually happened over the years.

I liked Dean and his 50-state strategy until 2008 when he gave away Hillary’s votes to Obama. Ignored him after that. Was pleasantly surprised to see he strongly supported Hillary over Bernie this time around. He certainly was and is right about our needing that 50-state strategy.

Good to see that Gertz article on how political journalists failed this nation and themselves. Hope we see more of this clarity.

• gregoryp says:

No, it is too bad that our fellow American’s lack judgment, wisdom and critical thinking skills. In the USA it is fashionable to be stupid, narcissistic, arrogant, without character, reckless and greedy. It is not fashionable to be intelligent, knowledgeable, cautious and educated. We have huge segments of our population that are essentially wrong about everything from evolution, science, what is healthy to eat, etc. who know beyond certainty they are right and the people who have studied those things are just making it up. They think the Earth is 6,000 years old because a convicted con artist said so. They think Hillary Clinton is a serial murderer. There are people in the USA who deny that HIV causes AIDS, that deny climate change is real, that think vaccines are a bad thing, and the list goes on and on. Honestly, nothing good is going to come our way again until these folks wake up and start figuring things out. Until then, it doesn’t really matter because not even the greatest minds are going to be able to fix the real problems that we face.

6. Pat Johnson says:

As a teen and pre-teen I was a huge fan of Debbie Reynolds. Spent my babysitting money on every fan magazine that featured her, hung her pictures on my bedroom wall, and started a scrapbook that was “all about Debbie”. She was my idol.

Talented, fresh faced, I saw every movie she made during those growing up years but her best one in my opinion was “The Rat Race” with Tony Curtis in which she displayed her dramatic acting chops.

I remember when they announced the birth of Carrie and the “scandal”of her divorce from Eddie Fisher. She was global star.

The announcement of her death was very emotional for me. It marks the end of an era but also the heartbreak of a mother losing her adult child that was too much to overcome.

Rest in peace, Debbie. You gave me hours and hours of entertainment for which I am grateful.

The stars shine little brighter tonight since you joined the firmament. You will be missed.

I remember all that stuff too. The betrayal by Fisher and Liz Taylor was big news for a very long time. That must have been so hard for Debbie. Liz was her best friend.I

I loved all her movies as a kid too–even Tammy. I adored The Unsinkable Molly Brown.

“..the question will remain whether the US acted too slowly…

The answer is “Yes.” And the result is tRump. Hell of a legacy, Obama.

• gregoryp says:

Yep, needed to do this before the election along with the firing of Comey and outing his behavior as completely unlawful and unjustified. In the end, Obama and his administration turned out to be spineless pacifiers who always caved to the Republicans even when it was paramount not to do so.

7. Fannie says:

Holy Cow!

8. janicen says:

I love the pics of Debbie and Carrie. The love Debbie has for her daughter oozes out of each one. She literally could not live without her. It’s so tragic and yet so moving.

On Wednesday President Barack Obama officially announced the creation of two new national monuments: Nevada’s Gold Butte and the Bear Ears area of southern Utah.

The new monuments, which are likely to be last created before Donald Trump assumes office, are both, in their own way, political lightning rods. Gold Butte, currently maintained by the Bureau of Land Management, was among the areas contested by Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, leading to an armed standoff in 2014. The fight over Bear Ears intensified in recent years among tribal groups and Utah politicians—Republican Gov. Gary Herbert has already pledged to fight the designation in court, and Obama’s use of the Antiquities Act to protect western lands has led GOP lawmakers to attempt to curtail the president’s powers under the law. (Our Climate Desk partners at High Country News have a good overview of the Bear Ears battle.) In other words, the fight is far from over, and it will certainly carry over into the next Congress and the Trump administration.