Careening towards disastrous 2017

This is just an open thread. But, if any one can explain why a Victorian artist would put an animated potato on a New Year’s postcard I would be much obliged! Is this Mr Potatoheads’s Grandspud?

President Obama was named Most Admired Man in America for the 9th time. Hillary Clinton was named Most Admired Woman in America for the 15th consecutive year.This brings her total to a record-breaking 21 times.

Please note that “record-breaking,” does not mean “for a woman”. Clinton earned this title more times than any person–man or woman–since this distinction was created back in the 1940s.

Eat shit and die T-RUMP.

38 Comments on “Careening towards disastrous 2017”

1. joanelle says:

I just got a solicitation for funds from the DNC – I’m a registered Independent.
    I gave them a snoot full about what I think of the ‘boyz at the top’ basically Obama, Biden and even Bernie and their adolescent behavior towards Hillary and lack of support.

2. Enheduanna says:

I hope Hillary’s popularity soars even more now. It always seems to do that when she’s not running for anything. Even her detractors can’t argue she doesn’t have grit. Wasn’t that the only thing nice tRump could find to say about her? Anyway it’d be nice for her popularity numbers to put tRump to shame.

And agree – fk Biden, Bernie and Obama. Is there ANY male politician out there not in love with himself? OK – John Lewis, Elijah Cummings and Al Franken. Maybe Sherrod Brown. Which you can count on one hand.

3. ANonOMouse says:

Basically what Obama, Biden and Bernie have said is “the girl was too weak”, which is incorrect, plus they’ve interpreted the electoral college loss incorrectly. Hillary lost in the rust belt states because of White MEN, all demos and uneducated white women, with a dash of interference from the States by purging the voter rolls. It’s that simple. I do think some of it was backlash against Obama, but most of it was straight up SEXISM. And yes, even women are sexist and self-loathing. But Obama, Biden and Bernie are no more relevant than Hillary. They’re just spouting off because male privilege is out of control. But now we need to look forward and attempt to put more WOMEN in a position to win in the Congress and POTUS. That should be our mission and that’s the only way we protect our rights. Bernie, Obama and Biden are the past and no one gives a shit what they say anymore.

Yeah.weak bitchy girl who needs to smile more.

They are ignoring the Putinized hacking, because they are spineless and haven’t done a damn thing about it. Not back when it would have done any good, and not now. What sort of counter-cybertactics back at Russia is Obama thinking off? There’s nothing he can do — or even what he would want to do — which would be the equivalent of Putin losing an election.

• joanelle says:

Not self-loathing so much as unidentified pure lack of self confidence in the ability of women (themselves) because they believe what they’ve been told about their personal inability by those around them. Projection

4. ANonOMouse says:

Let me guess at the potato question. The artist chose a potato because like the New Year it’s never been seen and it was brought to the surface to be part of the meal in the New Year dinner Celebration? Sort of convoluted, but I’m sick that way.

5. Pat Johnson says:

Help me Hannah, but President Elect Tweet is “fighting” with both Kerry and Obama and he still has 23 days before he is sworn in!

Lucky for me that I was able to spend the last 5 days (drinking and eating myself into a coma) and stayed away from the news. Today, home at last, I am making up for that deficit by catching up on what I have missed.

Bibi, Putin and our stupid beyond belief president elect are going to send us all to hell before they are through and we no longer have Carrie Fisher around to make us laugh.

I may as well open a bottle of wine and one of those boxes of chocolates and go to town since we may not all be here come Springtime and my cholesterol level won’t matter anyway.

As my dear friend would say, “screw them all!”

• ANonOMouse says:

Well you know I’m of the Eat, Drink and be Merry persuasion and always have been.Donald tRump isn’t going to ruin what’s left of my life. I won’t let him. I’m going to fight his agenda, make fun of him at every opportunity and find humor even in the darkest places. We should all TRY to find pleasure in life, especially when things are at their worst. All we can really control is how we live and react to what’s happening. I’m going to LIVE at full speed until I die.

• Fannie says:

You’re funny Pat………I am like you, eating and drinking my ass into a coma. I went to Shopko and doubled up my Reds 2, maybe that will make see straight, or so the doctor said!

Nope, I don’t mean Reds as in downers.

• joanelle says:

You have a wise friend, Pat!

Backlash, riiiight.

Articles implying that Russian had been trying to split the supporters of Democratic primary runner-up Bernie Sanders and Clinton while building up Trump set off fears among Peskov and others that they would be held responsible for the backlash from the United States, according to the information obtained by the Western intelligence source.

7. Riverbird says:

That potato has several eyes and the note says *I* wish you a happy new year.

I would have been happy with Al Franken or Cory Booker as VP. I still haven’t forgiven Biden for his role in the Clarence Thomas hearings.

• ANonOMouse says:

tRump threatened Cory Booker in a tweet saying, “If Cory Booker is the future of the Democratic Party, they have no future! I know more about Cory than he knows about himself.” I read that tweet as threatening to tell all if Booker was chosen as VP. I wouldn’t doubt if tRump is holding stuff over a lot of people. He’s a bum and a punk who has fought dirty and screwed people over his entire life. The next 4 years will be hell.

A pun???

Could be …

Only weird thing I found was this:

“Peru: Peruvian New Year’s traditions are a dime a dozen, with everything from wearing new clothes and lighting candles to writing down wishes, all practiced with the intention of bringing good luck for the upcoming year. One of the most interesting of these is the tradition of foretelling the next year’s fortunes with the use of potatoes. According to the tradition, three potatoes are placed under a chair or sofa– one peeled, one half peeled and one unpeeled. At midnight, one potato is chosen at random, which forecasts the state of next year’s finances, with the peeled potato signifying no money, half-peeled a regular year and unpeeled a great financial bounty in the year ahead.”

• Same here. I’ll never forgive or forget the way Biden treated Anita Hill, and approved the worst supreme court judge of my lifetime, maybe anytime.

8. Fun article: http://remezcla.com/culture/princess-leia-hair-buns/

Princess Leia’s hair style was inspired by Mexican revolutionary women.