Thursday Morning Reads: About Last Night

Good Morning!!

Thanks to everyone who helped with the live blogs last night. You guys are the greatest! I’m still fired up from Warren’s and Clinton’s speeches last night. The comparison between those two and Lyin’ Ryan and Etch-a-Sketch Willard could not be any greater. Tonight we’ll see both Joe Biden and Barack Obama. It should be another fun night, so please join us tonight if you can.

Here are some of the early reactions to Wednesday night’s speeches.

TPM: Bill Clinton to Mitt Romney: Barack Obama is My True Heir.

Bill Clinton offered an impassioned defense of President Obama as a leader in the mold of his own image Wednesday night, praising him for rescuing an ailing economy even as Republicans sought to thwart him at every turn.

Mitt Romney has tried to position himself as Clinton’s heir in recent months, employing a false claim that Obama gutted Clinton’s signature welfare reform bill, comparing the two presidents on jobs and claiming he’d follow Clinton’s lead in working with the other party.

Clinton made clear that there was only one candidate in the race who embodied his values.

“If you want a future of shared prosperity, where the middle class is growing and poverty is declining, where the American dream is alive and well and where the United States maintains its leadership as a force for peace, and justice, and prosperity, in this highly competitive world, you have to vote for Barack Obama,” he said.

NYT: Transcript of Bill Clinton’s speech.

ABC News: Elizabeth Warren: The System is Rigged.

Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, speaking ahead of Bill Clinton tonight at the Democratic National Convention, delivered an acid rebuke of Mitt Romney and Republican economic policy.

Their vision is clear, she said: “I’ve got mine, and the rest of you are on your own.”

Warren, who founded the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in 2010, is the Harvard professor who became a YouTube hero among Democrats when she asked a small gathering of Bay State supporters, “You built a factory out there? Good for you — but I want to be clear: You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for.”

LA Times: Sandra Fluke: GOP positions ‘offensive, obsolete relic’ of past

Sandra Fluke on Wednesday offered a dire vision of the future if Mitt Romney is elected president, one where rape would be redefined, women would be forced to have ultrasounds against their wishes, and access to birth control would be controlled by men.

Calling GOP positions “an offensive, obsolete relic of our past,” Fluke told delegates at the Democratic National Convention that “we know what this America would look like and in few shorts months that’s the American we could be, but that’s not the America that we should be, and it’s not who we are.”

Fluke was referring to a host of Republican moves, including measures to narrow the definition of rape to include only those that are “forcible,” as well as attempts by Republicans in some states to force women seeking abortions to undergo a vaginal ultrasound and efforts to curb funding for Planned Parenthood, a leading source of contraception for poor and younger women.

HuffPo: Randy Johnson Speech Attacks Bain: Mitt Romney Lacks A ‘Moral Compass.’

Bain Capital became front and center at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, with three speakers knocking the private equity firm that GOP nominee Mitt Romney founded for costing them their jobs.

First up was Randy Johnson, who has needled Romney has far back as 1994 when he ran for U.S. Senate in Massachusetts, the same year Johnson was laid off.

“I want to tell you about Mitt Romney’s record of cutting jobs. Mitt Romney once said — quote — ‘I like being able to fire people,'” Johnson said, quoting a remark Romney made in January about keeping the competitiveness of the health care industry, rather than workers.

“I don’t think Mitt Romney is a bad man. I don’t fault him for the fact that some companies win and some companies lose. That’s a fact of life,” he said. “What I fault him for is making money without a moral compass.”

Connie’s friend Cindy Hewitt also spoke.

Cindy Hewitt, interviewed by The Huffington Post about layoffs at the plant where she worked, echoed Johnson’s sentiment about Romney Wednesday, along with David Foster, another employee laid-off by a Bain-controlled company. All three speakers acknowledged that business had “winners and losers” or some variation — perhaps to stave off sounding too “anti-business” — but proceeded to attack Bain’s model of capitalism.

A couple more general links:

Here’s an interesting piece comparing Michelle Obama’s convention speech with Ann Romney’s: Study: First Lady’s convention speech seven grade levels higher than Ann Romney’s

The speech First Lady Michelle Obama delivered at Tuesday night’s Democratic convention read at a twelfth grade level, according to an analysis by a University of Minnesota political scientist, making it, by that measure, the most complex speech delivered by a presidential candidate’s spouse at a nominating convention.

By contrast, the speech delivered by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s wife, Ann, checked in at a fifth grade reading level. Romney’s speech marked the lowest reading level for a spouse’s convention speech since the practice first began in 1992, according to Eeic Ostermeier, the Minnesota political scientists.

Ostermeier reached his findings using the Flesch-Kincaid readability test, a metric that rates sentence structure and difficulty of word use, and then computes numbers corresponding to grade levels to indicate how verbally advanced a given text is. For example, longer sentences and words score more points, while monosyllabic words score fewer points.

Hmmm…5th grade level vs. 12th grade. Interesting. I wonder what grade level this Lyin’ Ryan Speech would test at?

Ryan praises Bill Clinton, compares Obama unfavorably to the former Democratic president.

Void of a single reference to Clinton-era scandals, Ryan’s praise was a way to paint Obama as a failure on the GOP ticket’s terms.

“Under President Clinton we got welfare reform,” Ryan told an audience outside a small-town courthouse west of Des Moines. “President Obama is rolling back welfare reform. President Clinton worked with Republicans in Congress to have a budget agreement to cut spending. President Obama, a gusher of new spending.”

I’m guessing that one is about 3rd grade level.

I’ll end with this video of Lewis Black talking about how long-winded Bill Clinton’s just how white Mitt Romney is and lots more.

60 Comments on “Thursday Morning Reads: About Last Night”

1. ecocatwoman says:

Just finished reading last night’s comments during the speeches. I had switched to C-Span to catch all of the speeches minus commentary. No breaks, so it wasn’t possible to follow online as well. Everyone here did a great job with the comments – better than the talking heads on tv.

I have to say that Sandra Fluke impressed me more than anyone else. I expected Warren & Bill to be incredible, and they were. Sandra really rose to the occasion and simply blew me away. I feel certain that she, unlike some last night, wrote her own speech & it was powerful.

I am so proud of Cindy, in so many ways. I first met her when Florida’s cat people gathered in Kissimmee to prevent the fish & game commission from waging war on cats, feral cats in particular. Although she’s tiny, she packs a punch. She is amazingly well informed (surpassing most vets I’ve known) and a terrific advocate. You can see her appearance on Politics Nation here: http://leanforward.msnbc.com/_news/2012/05/30/11968970-another-bain-victim-tells-her-story?lite

Last night’s “infomercial”, as many commentators have called the conventions succeeded in energizing me for the upcoming critical election. From last night’s comments here, it seems it did the same for the SD community as well. Let’s hope it will get people off their backsides & to the voting booths around the country & we’ll see the Rymney bots go down in flames.

Why Mitt Romney Has the Worst Favorability Ratings in Memory

3. Pat Johnson says:

I shouldn’t be surprised but I guess I am in noting the hateful things being hurled against Sandra Fluke for “daring” to address women’s issues on national t.v.

This from the same crowd trolling blogs day and night in defense of Sarah Palin because they see “sexism and misogyny” pouring out of every criticism leveled against her. But in the case of an intelligent woman making a case for contraception and being called a “slut” in the process by an overweight, drug addicted, 4 times married white man, not a problem!

The same “we love Hillary” crowd who apparently sees no harm in condemning a woman for standing up for her rights by offering a counterpoint to those who would deny her those same rights by suggesting she has nothing to offer but seeking publicity.

The absurdity is framed within the insults the posters feel necessary to include as they refer to themselves as “feminist friendly”.

Give me a break.

• ANonOMouse says:

The criticisms of Fluke, from the “former dems”, “former hillary supporter”, “former liberal”, pretend-like feminists makes be want to puke. I’ve had to fight myself to keep from commenting at those blog (s)

I think what’s really bothering them is they know that the Dems are taking it to the end zone on almost every possession at their convention while the RNC convention was a clusterfuck of losers who punted on 1st down. Speakers like Sandra Fluke, Elizabeth Warren and Our Man Bubba, pulled the scab off the RNC again last night and revealed their UGLY!

• Pat Johnson says:

But that had those remarks been aimed at “Sainted Sarah” they would have been screeching from the rooftops, demanding apologies, wanting heads to roll.

My suspicion is that during the 2008 campaign, though many of us were solid Hillary supporters but remained true to our Democratic principles, we were actually joined by the “ratfuckers” who went on to infest those blogs with more and more Right Wingers and it took some longer to “suspect” this than others.

Because try as I might, and as disappointed in Obama as I sometimes am, I cannot find a “link” to what was once an outpouring of support for liberal Hillary Clinton by becoming rabid GOP mouthpieces for an agenda that is truly destructive and as opposite of her positions as one can get.

To maintain “I am a feminist supporter” in face of the comments that plague Sandra Fluke is the most disenguous piece of crap ever offered up as proof.

For those who insist in maintaining “I am a liberal” then support the most radical of all agenda proposals is either delusional or just plain lying.

I tend to lean toward the latter.

• ecocatwoman says:

And Sister Simone Campbell. She ROCKED the house.

• ANonOMouse says:

Sr.Simone was great. She eviscerated the Ryan budget and the evil plans of the GOP/TP to destroy the safety nets. And she did it all with a smile. Sister Simone believes in a god worth believing in.

• ANonOMouse says:

‘During Fluke’s speech Ann Coulter “tweeted” that “Bill Clinton just impregnated Fluke backstage”. She then went on to suggest they were close to performing a “live abortion” onstage. Hilarious or what?’

What Ann Coulter was really saying was “look at me, look at me”. Coulter and her male id, Dick Morris, don’t even rise to the level of coughed up fur balls.

• peggysue22 says:

I’m amazed and disgusted by the comments I’ve read his morning on Sandra Fluke, and even the ripping of Bill Clinton [who gave a barn burner speech last night and made the Republicans look like the empty shells/shills they really are]. And many of these comments coming [as Pat commented] from ‘so-called’ Hillary Clinton supporters.

WTF??? Have people lost their minds? Or were they always looking for an excuse to mind-meld with with the party of ‘I’ve got mine, I feel fine and the Hell with you?’ Because that’s where the GOP is, has been for the last 30 years. Romney is bad enough but Paul Ryan tells you everything you need to know about the current Republican party–they are lying dogs who expect the American public to have mass amnesia when they go to the polls in November–those who are deemed suitable to vote, that is. The only way these suckers can win is by reducing the voting rolls.

I don’t like Obama, haven’t from the start. But to pretend that the Republicans are an antidote is positively suicidal.

It’s so great to see you, Peggy Sue!

• ANonOMouse says:

It is great to see you Peggy. I’ve missed reading your comments.

4. ecocatwoman says:

In case anyone skipped Charlie Pierce, this from his coverage of Bill’s speech is pure Pierce & priceless:

There are two things I now know for certain in this world.

Number One: Bill Clinton. At least 300 electoral votes. Against anyone. Tomorrow.

Number Two (and I say this as delicately as I possibly can): I would crawl on my knees naked through four miles of crushed glass just to listen, on a bad radio, to a debate between Bill Clinton and the zombie-eyed granny-starver Paul Ryan.

Number Three: Any reporter who complained about the length of that speech has no soul. There weren’t four non-media people in the hall who wouldn’t have sat there for another 15 minutes. I even didn’t object — much — when Clinton started talking about The Deficit and shilling for the non-existent “Simpson-Bowles Plan.” (There was no plan, I tell you!) There was as complete a merger of speaker and audience as you are ever going to see. More than any politician of the age, Bill Clinton inhabits a room and, at the same time, envelops it within himself. He breathes it in like oxygen.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/#ixzz25h3sniz9

• ecocatwoman says:

I have to admit that Point #2 is my favorite. I’m with Charlie, except for the nekkid part.

That’s a great post, and Tom Junod’s is excellent also.

• RalphB says:

This line from Junod’s piece is wonderful. Talking about Bill’s use of the teleprompter:

“as John Coltrane used the chords of “My Favorite Things” — as a point of departure, and as an excuse for a show of virtuosity.”

5. Pat Johnson says:

What Bill Clinton did was reduce the issues in language that made what the GOP proposes quite clear:

“If they do “X” this is what will happen”.

Even the least informed voter could understand the message when put in those terms.

If only President Obama could do the same thing. They need to send Clinton to the swing states ASAP. And he should be on the TV talk shows instead of Axelrod and Plouffe.

• ANonOMouse says:

You are so right BB. Clinton needs to go to VA, Ohio, FL and then on then for good measure on to NC, WI & MI for good measure. He’s the best stump advocate in the country. Bravo Bill

• ANonOMouse says:

Wow, I need to proof read before I hit “post comment”. 🙂

• Pat Johnson says:

Obama is a skilled orator. Bill is the consumate communicator.

Obama is the professor. Bill the ultimate pol.

Obama the “compromiser”. Bill the pragmatist.

Obama the loner. Bill the schmoozer.

A difference in style and context but Clinton will always prevail since politics is in his DNA and not so much with Obama.

Which is why we are so quick to “forgive” Bill his piccadillo”s and to hold Obama in less favorable terms.

One “connects”. The other less so.

• ecocatwoman says:

I don’t remember the year, but Clinton was out of office. I was still more than disappointed in him. The Dem primary wannabees were at Harkin’s corn festival (or whatever). I watched because I didn’t know who I wanted to vote for. The candidates spoke and then Bill got on the stage. I found myself, in my living room, standing up & clapping like a maniac. That man – there’s no one like him. It’s like he taps into your innermost core & jump starts it. A real “in body” experience. I wanted to vote for HIM, even though he wasn’t running.

6. HT says:

Last night was amazing. So many talented, sincere, well spoken people and of course, Big Dawg was the icing on the cake. Put the previous week’s gabfest to shame. And the delegates – a rainbow of people who were clearly enjoying themselves. Looking forward to tonight.

7. peregrine says:

Bill Clinton did hit it out of the ballpark and the Obama team had a fantastic night. But, FWIW, I’ve had to slow down my convention watching because (if I correctly understand northwestrain’s reluctance to watch) I too am sad that Hillary didn’t win the chance to preside over the last 4 years. I can’t be persuaded from my belief that we would be much better off had we had her leadership and I wish I could be excited over voting for her again. It is so and will never change for me.

• northwestrain says:

Overload hit — computer crashed halfway through. I’d rather read — so I’ll read what Clinton said today.

Clinton is always able to explain complex subjects in a way that everyone can understand — 0bama does not have that skill. 0bama is one of those “trust me” preachers who isn’t as smart as he thinks he is.

The Dem women are impressive — more Dem women are needed to clean up after the men.

8. Beata says:

Too tired this morning to comment on the convention, but I was thinking about Dak’s job search.

Dak, can you tell us on the blog what types of jobs you are interested in? Academia only or willing to work outside a university setting? Give us some job titles. We can be on the lookout for you. Good luck.

Thanks. It would help me if I really knew what I wanted to do at this point. I’m just mostly tired these days; like the wind’s been knocked out of my sails.

• Boo Radly says:

Got a bucket list? Can we help in any way?

I’m not sure. I need to take stock of things around here. First thing up is dealing with Allstate and the ceiling in the hall and the bathroom. I’m thinking about going to visit my sister and dad in Seattle since I can get my friend Mags to watch the cats and I don’t have to worry about Karma. I can put my CV around the Universities there and see if there’s any interest. I’m just dog tired right now.

• HT says:

Ditto what Boo and Beata said. If we know what areas you want to check out, we can check around.

9. RalphB says:

Factcheck.org got pretty nit-picky and still didn’t find much to complain about in Bill’s speech.

Our Clinton Nightmare

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Former President Bill Clinton’s stem-winding nomination speech was a fact-checker’s nightmare: lots of effort required to run down his many statistics and factual claims, producing little for us to write about.

Republicans will find plenty of Clinton’s scorching opinions objectionable. But with few exceptions, we found his stats checked out.

Politifact is about the same. The outlier is the AP who “fact checked” his speech by bringing up the Monica debacle. AP must be asshats for Rmoney.

Here’s a comparison of the Clinton speech… transcript vs what he said.

11. Boo Radly says:

I agree with Peregrine and northwestrain – some of their posts could be done by me – if
    I had the energy. The reason I admire WJ and Hillary Clinton is that they project their authenticity. It all goes back to my thinking/agreeing with the philosophies of Erich Fromm, Viktor Frankl – search for meaning of life. Any normal person recognizes that the drives people call the “needs of one’s inner being” are diffuse, subjective and often culture bound. For this reason among others, authenticity is often “at the limits” of language; it is described as the negative space around inauthenticity, with reference to examples of inauthentic living.
    Enter Randist = R/R. I call the last 12 years an assault on the US by Randism promoted whole heartily by our media – not just the news outlets. I consider the rethug party a culture(cult) bound hate group.

We can’t change what happened four years ago – it was hate shown by both parties – flagrant. I will never be a member of either legacy party again. Watching so many new and seasoned politicians last night speaking truth, using facts – well, it’s like Bill said – does not have to be a blood sport to get elected. Except when one legacy party is totally into blood sport. Could this be a turning point – the juxtaposition of the two parties platforms has never been exposed so glaringly.

The worst thing that can be said by the GOP about last night’s convention – BO is not Bill Clinton. Knowing that – I will still vote for him, for the first time. I feel so lucky to have had this blog – these posters to read, having followed their new direction from the other blog immediately.

• RalphB says:

The differences between the two parties could hardly be more stark than now. I know whose side I’m on and it’s the same one I’ve been on for over forty years, now more than ever.

• Beata says:

Exactly, Ralph. What happened to Hillary in 2008 made me extremely angry but it didn’t cause me to lose my mind. I continue to have the same core political beliefs I have had all my adult life. The Democratic Party in 2012 certainly isn’t perfect but it represents those beliefs in a way the GOP never can. I see absolutely nothing in the radical right-wing Romney/Ryan ticket to support. That some former Hilllary voters do is mind-boggling to say the least.

Boo, it’s good to see you commenting again. Like a visit from an old friend. 🙂 It’s not surprising that Frankl is someone who has shaped your philosophy of life. I see it in your writing. He has done the same for me, too, since my undergraduate days. The search for meaning never ends.

LOL. I feel like a lot of those old Hillary supporters have had their brains poisoned by hatred.

I really agree with this one.

Thanks for expressing it so well, Boo Radly. Kat and I have been talking about this a lot lately. I can be angry about what happened to Hillary and still recognize the reality of our current situation. I still believe that Hillary would have handled the financial crisis better than President Obama. But the choice we have now is “stark,” as Ralph says. After strongly supporting Hillary, I’m not going to turn around now and vote against everything I believe in just because Obama is the current standard bearer.

People change. I believe both Barack and Michelle have a better understanding now of the values that drive Bill and Hillary. I think he has finally recognized that the Republicans don’t respect cooperation. They don’t want to compromise, period and that make people loyal to them. He gets it now that he has to stand and fight. He’s still not that good at it, but I expect to see more improvements.

As Kat wrote recently, I can support any voting decision except for a vote for Republicans–vote for Jill Stein or another third party candidate. Leave the top of the ticket blank. That’s why I told Northwestrain last night that I respect her position. She’s still angry and she simply can’t vote for Obama. JJ feels the same way. But neither of them would support Romney because of that anger like some people who once claimed to be Hillary supporters.

I’m voting for Obama this time on principle, because I feel a strong need to reject everything that Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney stand for. These men are death-affirming. They don’t care that their promised policies would leave millions of people, most of them frail elders, young and vulnerable children, and families struggling to take care of their weaker members out in the street on their own. want to be life affirming rather than dead inside like Romney and Ryan.

12. RalphB says:

Molly Ball in The Atlantic has what may be my favorite explanation for why Bill’s speeches work so well.

Bill Clinton Shows How It’s Done

CHARLOTTE — Bill Clinton spoke for nearly 50 minutes. His speech was dense, didactic and loaded with statistics and details. The paper version handed out to reporters took up four single-spaced pages in a tiny font, and he departed from it frequently. It may have been the most effective speech of either political convention.
    […]
    Clinton made arguments. He talked through his reasoning. He went point by point through the case he wanted to make. He kept telling the audience he was talking to them and he wanted them to listen. In an age when so many political speeches are pure acts of rhetoric, full of stirring sentiments but utterly devoid of informational value — when trying to win people over to your point of view is cynically assumed to be futile, so you settle for riling them up instead — Clinton’s felt like a whole different thing. In an era of detergent commercials, he delivered a real political speech.
    […]
    A few minutes after Clinton was finished, a spokesman for the Romney campaign delivered its response: “”President Clinton drew a stark contrast between himself and President Obama tonight.” He did nothing of the sort, of course. But the point was, the GOP knew it wouldn’t get far taking on Clinton. Instead, the Republicans could only hope he was so good at pumping up Obama that Obama might pale in comparison. In its way, that was the greatest tribute of all.

13. RalphB says:

One can only hope this forecast turns out to be correct. However, they’ve missed the BLS numbers big before.

Bloomberg: ADP Says U.S. Companies Added 201,000 Workers in August

Companies added more workers than forecast in August, easing concern the U.S. job market may be stalling, a private report based on payrolls showed.

The 201,000 increase in employment, the biggest gain in five months, followed July’s revised 173,000 rise, Roseland, New Jersey-based ADP Employer Services said today. The median forecast of 41 economists surveyed by Bloomberg called for an advance of 140,000.

A sustained pickup in hiring would help generate the wage gains needed to spur consumer spending, the biggest part of the economy. A Labor Department report tomorrow may show private payrolls rose by 138,000 in August, and unemployment held at 8.3 percent, according to the median forecast in a Bloomberg survey.

• ANonOMouse says:

That’s a good sign, but don’t you know the ratfuckers are going to say this forecast is propaganda? That’s what they do!!!

14. RalphB says:

Could they not find anyone else to be in their ad? 🙂

buzzfeed: Republican Staffer Breaks Up With Obama

“It’s a sad state of affairs over at the RNC,” the staffer said. “They couldn’t find anyone to say anything nice about Mitt Romney at their convention and now they can’t find anyone but an RNC staffer to star in their anti-President Obama web video during the Democratic convention. It might be time for them to have “the talk” with Mitt Romney.”

15. Boo Radly says:

@Beata – it’s remarkable you remember me, been a long time – thanks for the kind words. You are a standout! Some of the people here – I remember from the old orange place I left many years ago. Painful to see the changes in a lot of people I thought I knew. Voting Rethug was never an option for me – unthinkable.

16. pdgrey says:

I don’t really want to fight the Primary again too many problems in my own little life but I am like Ralph on this one, I do not share any “values” the Republicans have, will never vote for a Romney and I would put pins in my own eyes before I NEVER voted for a Paul Ryan.

So you knew it was coming, the new ad out by the GOP is using the Clinton Fairy Tale lie. The people who supported Hillary knew Bill was talking about Obama’s vote on the war. Even today, Howard Fineman’s article said it was about his life again. Last night Rev. Al Sharpton couldn’t join in the joy of Clinton’s speech. he made some comment like “He didn’t come down from heaven, He came up from hell”. I couldn’t believe it, for Al to be so stupid not to see he was slowing down Bill’s message, and actually hurting his own cause of re-electing Obama. I don’t think he heard Clinton’s speech last night. This is what stupid Democrats do, they can fuck up their own ideology whether it gives them an alternative with more pain for this country. Gee, Rev. if Bill Clinton can get over being called a racist, you need to do some soul searching. So now the Republicans know once again to divide the Democratic Party use the Racist Hate LIE.

My drama moment for the day: As God is my witness, is Bill Clinton the only gracious man in America?

• HT says:

Judging by what is passing for commentary, fact checking and so called “news” reporting, yes, Clinton is the last gracious man in the political realm.

• RalphB says:

Sharpton is Sharpton and is what he’s always been. I expect nothing so am hardly disappointed in him. Al’s not going to admit being a douche in 08. He hasn’t copped to being wrong in the Brawley case all those years ago, when it’s plainly what happened from the lawsuits filed and won. This is one case where the “both sides do it” argument holds up. There are grifters on both sides. 😉

Thanks Ralph. My comment was actually addressed to pdgrey, but I appreciate the reply. I like Sharpton. Everyone makes mistakes. He’s done a lot of good. But I guess my opinions isn’t popular here. I just wanted to explain the “came up from hell” comment. It was in praise of Clinton’s empathy.

I didn’t hear Al Sharpton’s comments the same way you did. Sharpton praised the speech–said it was “masterful.” When he said Clinton “came up from hell,” he meant that Clinton was a survivor of the hatred he and Hillary faced during his own presidency so he could “empathize” with what Obama has experienced.

Sharpton also said that Obama didn’t need to do anything in his speech other than inspire the crowd, because Bill Clinton had already made the case for him, “signed, sealed, delivered.” Finally he said that both “Elvis and Bubba showed up tonight.”

I don’t see how any of that hurts Obama.

• RalphB says:

Oh I don’t think Sharpton hurt Obama or Clinton at all, but that doesn’t mean my opinion of him is a lot higher. 😉 We do however agree on most of the same policies, so that’s cool.

Ralph,

My reply to your comment nested in the wrong place–see above.

17. RalphB says:

Melissa Harris-Perry apparently on twitter last night: “Ok is it weird that President Clinton started the speech in his 60s but is apparently 40 at the end?”

Maybe there should be some kind of Senior Presidential Tour like for golfers so we could hear from Bill more often?