Breaking: Stan McGee “Abruptly” Resigns as Massachusetts Gaming Commission Head

Carl Stanley (“Stan”) McGee

The Boston Globe reports:

The newly appointed interim head of the state gaming commission abruptly resigned Wednesday night, saying that the ‘‘growing distractions’’ created by allegations of sexual abuse against him had made it impossible to be effective in the job.

In a message to the board, Carl Stanley McGee said that ‘‘after much personal thought’’ he decided to step down to let the commission ‘‘get on with the important public business of job creation and economic development it was created to perform.’’

Board chairman Stephen Crosby, who had staunchly defended McGee’s appointment as interim executive director and had called the 2007 abuse allegations ‘‘meritless’’ and ‘‘warrantless,’’ said Wednesday night that he agreed with McGee’s decision.

On Sunday, I wrote a post about McGee: The Story of Stan McGee: More Evidence that Children Are Expendable in America.

In 2007, while he was on vacation in Florida, McGee was arrested and charged with sexual assault on a 15-year-old boy. The charges were later dropped, but the boy’s parents filed a civil suit against McGee, and the suit was settled in their favor.

Criticism of the appointment had been building after several articles about the alleged assault appeared in local newspapers. According to the Globe,

The resignation by McGee capped a day of mounting criticism over the decision by the board to offer him the job without thoroughly investigating the abuse allegations.

The article suggests that the Commission had decided to hold up the appointment while it did a thorough background check on McGee.

A spokeswoman for the commission hinted the agency might hold up the appointment while it conducts a background check on McGee — even though Crosby has previously said that he and other board members had looked into McGee’s record and found it ‘‘pristine.’’

The spokeswoman, Karen Schwartzman did not return messages from the Globe, but she told New England Cable News host Jim Braude that ‘‘after voting to extend an offer to Mr. McGee, the vote made clear that it was subject to passing a background check. … The background check for Mr. McGee is under way and is not complete yet. Mr. McGee won’t be on the commission payroll until such time as the background check is complete.’’

McGee will return to his post as assistant secretary for policy and planning in Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration. Maybe it’s time the Governor also did a background check on McGee.


11 Comments on “Breaking: Stan McGee “Abruptly” Resigns as Massachusetts Gaming Commission Head”

  1. I’m behind on this story. Can Deval Patrick fire him?

    • bostonboomer says:

      I don’t know what he’ll do. McGee hasn’t been convicted, but Patrick never investigated either. You can read my earlier post. It’s linked above.

  2. Hot Damn!!!! I just got your email BB…wow…

    • bostonboomer says:

      I had a feeling this might happen. What a relief!

      I’d like to be a fly on the wall during Stan’s conversations with his husband about all this.

      • I would want to have some kind of investigation into McGee’s contacts with the students at the underprivileged school the husband runs.

      • Seriously says:

        Hopefully this isn’t just going to go away for Stan. MassKids and other sex abuse advocacy groups have done a great job of putting on pressure so far, they’re calling on him to void the confidentiality agreement and make details of the settlement public. Wendy Murphy’s saying the victim and his family would be eager to speak if Stan willlet them. And now that the Patrick administration finally confirmed that they never did any investigation of the case, as the anonymous sources had already alleged and in opposition to Crosby’s version, they look awful. Hopefully they can keep the story in the news long enough to force Patrick to act.

      • bostonboomer says:

        Seriously,

        It sounds like there will still be an investigation because Rep. Winslow hired a detective and plans to pay him with his own money.

      • Seriously says:

        I’m afraid, though, unless Democrats start getting on board, it’s probably going to be easy to dismiss Winslow as a buffoon who’s conducting an Arpaio-style partisan witchhunt against poor persecuted Stan, not to mention the investigator will probably be hamstrung by the gag order. I give Grossman credit for speaking out, but he was a lot more focused on the “the integrity of the gaming commission must be preserved at all costs!” as opposed to “btw, not really acceptable to be employing known pedophiles in state government, period,” especially as the gaming commission position was only a 5 month acting gig. Patrick needs some pressure to direct McGee to cooperate.

    • NW Luna says:

      Good riddance to this slimeheart.

  3. wampaleaks says:

    But now Stan “the Massachusetts casino man” McGee, gets to return to his job as point man for the Governor on casino gaming policy and the chief casino compact negotiator between the Commonwealth and the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe? Given that Indian casinos have an even higher risk of corruption and other abuse problems given their sovereign nation status which can block the state from being able to even view their books, shouldn’t this job require at least the same level of trust and diligence? The facts remain and McGee should disclose what happened in Florida – simply moving from one high-ranking state casino job to another doesn’t suffice. McGee has never publicly stated that he did not molest this child. Nobody in the state investigated the charges. And, most importantly, it is critical that the state divulge if McGee or anyone in Governor Patrick’s office used political influence to get the Florida prosecutors to drop charges that their own state child sex crime investigators, local police involved and the victim’s family wanted prosecuted.

    • bostonboomer says:

      I totally agree. I thought Winslow had hired a detective to investigate? I assume he’ll stay on the case, if only to embarrass Patrick. The Gov. needs to be pressured on this.