Open Thread: Shep Smith Says Republicans are on the Wrong Side of History

I wonder how much longer Fox Noise is going to put up with Shep Smith?

After Obama’s announcement today that he supports the right of same sex couples to marry, Fox News went on the warpath, according to New York Magazine. However:

Shep Smith was not shy on-air about his agreement with the president’s stated belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry. “The president of the United States, now in the 21st century,” Smith said dryly after airing Obama’s historic announcement. He then asked Fox host Bret Baier, with some attitude, if the Republicans would dare make marriage equality a campaign issue “while sitting very firmly, without much question, on the wrong side of history on it.”

Reuters has more details on Obama’s statement.

Senior administration officials indicated that Obama – who had walked a fine, politically sensitive line in supporting gay rights but not gay marriage – decided earlier this year to support same-sex marriage.

They said he initially planned to announce his change in position for such marriages before the Democratic National Convention in September.

On the President’s reasons for making the announcement now,

The officials acknowledged that Biden’s comments had moved up that timetable and said the president was not upset at Biden over his remarks….

Obama told ABC that his daughters were an influential factor and that his wife, first lady Michelle Obama, shared his views.

“You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples,” Obama said. “There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents, and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently.”

I agree with Shep Smith. Obama is on the right side of history now.

31 Comments on “Open Thread: Shep Smith Says Republicans are on the Wrong Side of History”

From the Reuters article:

“Today’s announcement ensures that marriage will again be a major issue in the presidential election,” said Tony Perkins, a prominent evangelical leader and president of the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian group. “The president has provided a clear contrast between him and … Mitt Romney.”

Added Ralph Reed of the Faith and Freedom Coalition: “This is an unanticipated gift to the Romney campaign. It is certain to fuel a record turnout of voters of faith to the polls this November.”

If the Republicans return to focusing on social issues, Romney will lose. His only hope is to focus on the economy.

• “…voters of faith?”

I sure hope you are right about that BB, there are a lot of those Jesus freaks out there…

OT: I love this cartoon:

The Jesus freaks weren’t going to vote for Obama anyway.

Great cartoon!

• ANonOMouse says:

JJ. you’re the cartoon Guru. This one is classic. I’ve already started my documentation diary on today’s events. This cartoon is going directly to the diary.

• ANonOMouse says:

I also just read at another blog that I’m being used by Obama in some clever ploy to win re-election.

Oh hell yeah

Y’all have to forgive my JOY, this whole thing’s made me high. I better drink a couple of beers to level myself out.

• OMG that is so funny Mouse, I didn’t even see the youtube in your post when I read it (weird! must have been a loading glitch) and posted the exact same song ROFL

• ANonOMouse says:

Even more mellow.

Use me! PLEASE, til you use me up!

• This was my favorite song when I was a baby. It is one of the first vivid memories I have of playing the 45 on my little toy record player. I played it over and over again until the record was worn white…I can even remember the color of the record player, it was a monkey shit gold…and the white with pink and blue flowered lacy table runner it was placed on.

• ANonOMouse says:

Wonk….We’re having too much fun with this. 🙂

• RalphB says:

JJ I love your taste in cartoons. Luckovich is always excellent.

Next big announcement should be Shep Smith following Don Lemon’s example.

3. I saw that Fox had a headline about war on marriage and then they changed the headline.

My guess is that Jon Stewart is gonna nail it tonight.

• ANonOMouse says:

Don’t want to miss Jon. I might overdose on JOY before this day is over.

• Hey, the NC law also bans straight civil unions and partnerships: North Carolina passes ban on gay marriage, civil unions – BostonHerald.com

The amendment not only outlaws same-sex marriage — already illegal in the state — but bans civil unions and domestic partnerships for gay or straight couples. Family law experts say it will threaten domestic partnership health benefits for local government workers and strip unmarried couples, both gay and straight, of their rights to make financial or emergency medical decisions for an incapacitated partner.

With 96 of 100 counties reporting, the amendment held an overwhelming lead, 61 percent to 39 percent.

Passage of the measure, called the Defense of Marriage Act by Republican sponsors, makes North Carolina the final state in the South to pass an amendment banning gay marriage, and the 29th state overall, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. At least 10 states have statutes defining marriage as between a man and a woman. Proponents said the amendment was needed to keep “activist judges or politicians” from overturning the state’s 1996 law.

The measure is more restrictive than all but three of the marriage amendments passed in other states, according to a study published by 11 family law professors at seven North Carolina universities. The measure could even deprive unmarried women of protections against domestic abuse, while restricting child custody and visitation rights for unmarried gay or straight couples, they said.

If someone posted this, sorry…I must have missed it.

4. ANonOMouse says:

Thanks BB for the Shep Smith youtube. This just keeps getting better and better.

5. boogieman7167 says:

I’m glad that BO came & did the right thing

6. northwestrain says:

The GOP is right in step with early 19th century Republicans.

Then there is this moron — who ousted Sen. Lugar

“Richard Mourdock: ‘Bipartisanship Ought To Consist Of Democrats Coming To The Republican Point Of View’”

7. Pat Johnson says:

The “usual suspects” are slowly crawling out of their holes.

It’s either a “war on marriage” or a “war on religion”. You decide.

Rush is blathering away, using the war on marriage as his crutch. From a man on his 4th merry go round of wedded bliss, this is funny.

Still waiting for someone go dig Quiterella out of a nearby glacier for her “brilliant” take on things. Sure to include “freedoms” or some such word busily running laps around her empty head but I’ll wager she won’t let Shep get away with praising the president.

Rachel’s opening was great tonight.