Saturday Reads

Good Morning !

The Reason blog hit & run has a fun post up today that highlights attack ads by pols circa 1800s. There’s a youtube up there but the historical sources are even better. Well, we really don’t have to go that far back to wallow in it, however.  Check out Plum Line at Wapo. I’m not doing the youtube for this one.

The spot shows Angle running away from reporters. The claim that she’s “pathological” is a reference to Nevada journalist Jon Ralston’s tireless efforts to document what he describes as her “pathological” tendency to rewrite history and pretend she never said what she plainly did say.

Has any campaign ever been quite this direct in claiming that their opponent is, well, a complete whack-job? The Reid team has completely emptied the thesaurus.

If that’s not bad enough, how about being told by your employer that you need to vote Republican because your pay and benefits might be impacted in the future?

… with their recent paychecks, employees received a pamphlet from their employer on company letter head that stated “as the election season is here, we wanted you to know which candidates will help our business grow in the future.” While pointing out that the vote is the employee’s “personal decision,” the pamphlet explicitly states, “if the right people are elected we will be able to continue with raises and benefits at or above our present levels. If others are elected we will not

That was from a Think Progress quote given at Crooks and Liars.  They have  the note left in the employee’s pay envelopes posted there.  The franchise owner did apologize but still it’s creepy. I’m ready for Tuesday to be over.

[MABlue here] I read this fascinating story in the hardcover of Der Spiegel this week. Luckily, they uploaded in on their international site. Just check it out:

An American Child May Hold Secrets to Aging

Brooke Greenberg is almost 18, but she has remained mentally and physically at the level of a toddler. An American physician is trying to uncover the child’s secret, because he wants to give mankind the gift of eternal life.

[…]

She has no hormonal problems, and her chromosomes seem normal. But her development is proceeding “extremely slowly,” says Walker. If scientists can figure out what is causing the disorder, it might be possible to unlock the mysteries of aging itself. “Then we’ve got the golden ring,” says Walker. He hopes to simply eliminate age-related diseases like cancer, dementia and diabetes. People who no longer age will no longer get sick, he reasons. But he also thinks eternal life is conceivable. “Biological immortality is possible,” says Walker. “If you don’t get hit by a car or by lightning, you could live at least 1,000 years.”

Do we even want to live that long?

Ezra Klein has post a list of

Six things Obama has done wrong

1) The tax cut that failed: The administration likes to brag that the stimulus was comprised substantially of tax cuts. Look how bipartisan! Only the tax cut they included was the Making Work Pay tax cut from the campaign.

[…]

2) Neglecting the Federal Reserve: Matthew Yglesias has made this critique better than I could’ve, so I’ll outsource it to him. “A party whose leaders realized that economic results were the most important driver of public opinion wouldn’t have renominated a conservative Republican to head the Federal Reserve. Even more astoundingly, having given Ben Bernanke a second term in office, the Obama administration didn’t get around to nominating anyone to fill the other vacant posts on the Federal Reserve Board until April 2010.” [Oh noes! Somebody keep Matt Yglesias away fron Kat…ed]

3) The Fiscal Commission: I’ve come to see the “National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform” as a major error on at least a few levels. Remember, first, that it’s a powerless executive body created after Republicans filibustered a bill that would’ve created a similar, but more powerful, commission in Congress.

[…]

4) The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: I struggle with this one. The stimulus included measures designed to create jobs and help the economy immediately and measures designed to make investments and strengthen the economy over the longer-term. As a matter of policy, I fully support that.

[…]

5) The size and sale of the stimulus: By now, this is a familiar critique. Christina Romer thought we needed $1.2 trillion in stimulus. Then the recession turned out to be larger than we’d calculated. Then we got just $787 billion — and not all of that was stimulus.

[…]

6) It’s the procedure, stupid: Here are four words we’ve really not heard out of the Obama administration: “Up-or-down vote.” Obama has spoken occasionally about the filibuster, but the relentless perversion of the legislative process has not been made into a sufficient issue. […]

So, what do you think and what would you add to that list?

What’s on your reading and blogging list today

73 Comments on “Saturday Reads”

1. Zaladonis says:

Wish I could be here Friday nights! I love cooking and talking about food. Maybe next Friday – my partner will be traveling.

2. Zaladonis says:

Call me paranoid or an out of control cynic but I was saying the same kind of thing when Bush was in office and I have the same feeling now.

This end of October terrorist threat that’s turned into a constant stream on all the cable news channels seems awfully damned convenient to me.

I don’t believe them.

3. Zaladonis says:

As for “Attack Ads Circa 1800,” that pisses me off too.

On one hand people love to crow how superior today’s generation is to previous ones, supposedly post-racial (utter nonsense) and oh so “tolerant” of LGBTs and everyOTHERbody around (some of the same people who boast about tolerance indulge in bullying behavior, subtle or veneered with “lighten up!” though it may be) and certainly some people believe they’re so much evolved from how people were 200 years ago. On the other they justify disgusting campaign tactics by comparing behavior today to 200 years ago and saying hey we’re not worse than they were then.

What an excuse-laden responsibility-free country America has become. Republicans went there first but many Democrats are behaving just as scummy now.

4. Zaladonis says:

Wish I could post a picture from my harddrive here.

Can’t find the “I screwed you all but thanks for blaming it on the black guy” (with George Bush pictured) poster in Google images that I’ve seen repeatedly on Facebook. There’s a version that reads “I f***ed you …” but the black and white one that’s all over FB is somehow worse IMO. Reminds me of the Willie Horton ad.

An old friend of mine, an elected official in New Hampshire, has been one of those spreading it around, and laughing about how “true” it is, and I’m stunned. He’s my age and a New England style liberal who, until 2 years ago stood exactly where I stood politically. We never disagreed about tactics or candidates or anything. Obama came along and ever since we’ve agreed about almost nothing. And now this disgusting smarmy poster. I can’t believe Democrats elected an African American into the Oval Office and this is what they do with the opportunity. I think Democrats are losing every bit of their decency.

5. sima says:

Dak, received your invitation to blog here, and I’m psyched! I’m also a bit embarrassed to admit I’ve never blogged on wordpress before, so I’m going to have to do a bit of learning before I start work. Hope that’s ok. I’m working on an article about S 510, food and farming regulation that will drastically expand the mandate of the FDA and potentially make even backyard gardening problematic.

• Zaladonis says:

That sounds fascinating, especially the part about how it could effect backyard gardening. I had a feeling that was next up — they won’t be satisfied until they’ve infiltrated every seed we can plant … literally.

• Sima says:

Ironically, seed control is part of it. It’s really scary. I keep thinking they’d never do it, naw, never. But look at the health care fiasco. I didn’t believe they’d do that either. I hope I can get through the hype and find out what is really dangerous in the bill though. I know it needs fighting, badly.

• Zaladonis says:

I don’t doubt for a moment they’re going to do it. I’m frankly surprised they haven’t already — well in some ways they have. I’m pretty sure if you buy seeds from any of the big companies they’re all genetically modified. So far we can still buy and exchange heirloom seeds online but I wonder when the FDA will start meddling with that.

And from what I understand, once you start using genetically modified seeds it effects your soil. Or am I wrong about that?

• Sima says:

I don’t know about GMO seeds effecting the soil. They very well could. I stay away from them entirely, as my farm and CSA are as close to organic as can be without paying the big bucks to be certified. I’m more afraid of them interbreeding with other closely related plants, weeds and such, and producing monster hybrids. And as for round-up resistance plants, well the bugs are already starting to mutate and guess what? They don’t mind round-up so much any more. Why no-one in government had the foresight to see this, surely we all did, is beyond me. Ohh, right, money, money blinded them.

• grayslady says:

Genetically modified seeds have no effect on your soil. Seeds are just embryos. Also, as you point out, almost all modern seeds have been “genetically modified” to the extent that many modern seeds have had the best characteristics bred into them and the worst bred out. Examples: super-sweet corn, tomato plants that are resistant to verticillium wilt, etc.

Most of the problems with GMOs come from those that are bred to be resistant to chemicals, such as Round Up Ready corn. Here in Illinois and Wisconsin, you can see fields where farmers planted RUR corn one year and then the next year decided to plant soybeans: the soybeans have large numbers of corn “volunteers” in the fields because the corn is resistant to chemical control. That results in less productive soybean crops and more difficulty in harvesting.

• NWLuna says:

That is a potentially very dangerous regulation — a textbook example of the “devil is in the details.” Incredibly cumbersome for small companies, from the little I’ve read about it. I’d be very interested in a detailed post on it.

Whenever you are ready. Let me know if you need help with anything.

6. sima says:

My Mom is fascinated by the stories of scientists looking for eternal youth. As she’s aged, she keeps wondering why anyone would want to stick around that long. As I’m almost 50, I kind of understand what she’s saying. I remember a world without cell phones, computers… and so much more. It gets more disorienting as one gets older, or at least she says so.

• HT says:

My aunt lived to her 95th birthday – she didn’t want to live that long – all her beloved friends, husband, brother and sister were long gone and while we tried to keep her engaged, it just wasn’t the same. She actually willed herself to die – stopped eating entirely, was hospitalized and put on intravenous and spent her last two weeks in a coma with one of us constantly at her side. It was horrible to watch, but she had a beautiful smile on her face when she finally slipped away.

• Sima says:

Yes, when everyone you know is gone, life would just be empty. When all the memories, all the things that shaped you have passed from common social congress, what’s left? I suppose it would be different if everyone lived longer. But I’d probably not like being the one person who did so, all alone.

• HT says:

yeah – and I support euthanasia in these circumstances. It would have saved my beloved aunt so much suffering. I personally have signed a living will that specifies I do not want to be resuscitated under any circumstances. Unfortunately, that does not extend to someone giving me the blessed goodbye – one shot. We are better at seeing our pets pass along.

• NWLuna says:

Oh that sounds terrible. But it’s possible to discuss your wishes and have them written up as Advance Directives, and to abstain from food/water and not have IVs forced on you.

• Zaladonis says:

Nevermind living forever, I can’t even understand why everybody wants to keep looking 25 their whole lives.

I think it’s great to look good, healthy and vibrant and all, but this American obsession with eternal youth is completely out of control.

Meanwhile we’ve made some but really not all that much progress with things like depression and physical pain management, both of which can increase with age. By and large our health care industry and government handed over those things to the pharmaceutical industry – so our primary response is covering it up rather than diminishing or relieving it in other ways. I know some doctors encourage good eating and exercise, but they’re just words while most write prescriptions.

And good eating is so frickin expensive today. I love to cook and have access to excellent vegetables and locally raised beef and chicken, and so far I can afford it, but from what I can see most Americans don’t have that. As long as our affordable food is full of steroids and god-knows-what-else, Michelle Obama can give all the speeches she wants about obesity or take all the money she wants from Food Stamps and give it to school lunch programs, but it won’t make Americans healthier or leaner.

• Sima says:

I happen to like the look of people in their 30s-60s. I suppose as I get older I’ll like them older. But under 30 looks like a baby to me, and did even when I was under 30. Heh. I’m strange I guess.

I wish our medical system would work more with the middle aged and elderly. It’s like after you hit 40, all they do is watch over your demise and pass the pain pills. I know they do excellent work on some things, but common pain caused by degenerative arthritis can barely be controlled. My Mom’s nearly bedridden with this, so it’s a sore spot with me.

• Zaladonis says:

I love the way human beings look at every age. Really. Since I was a child I have been in love with Edward Curtis’ photographs of Native Americans, and one of the things that draws me to them is he photographed babies to very old people, with all the smooth innocence and deep crevised wisdom proudly present. I think it’s just spectacular how one’s life gets etched into every face, every body, as if to say, “This is where I’ve been, this is who I am.” And today people inject poison into their faces to erase it. I just don’t get it.

So sorry that your mother is bedridden with arthritis. It’s in my family as well. As you point out that’s one of the diseases that hasn’t been dealt with effectively. I have a good friend (we’re in our 50s and grew up next door neighbors, really adore one another) who works in the pharmaceutical industry and we can barely talk about it anymore she gets so defensive. I probably don’t approach it gently enough, but they’re so proud of their achievements and although I think it’s justified in some ways (I sure prefer the options we have today to what was available 100 years ago, and so genuine kudos to those who invented them) the narrow range seems profit-oriented rather than needs-oriented. But then I’m not convinced the answer to degenerative arthritis is in synthetic medication.

• NWLuna says:

Pain can almost always be reduced (but not eliminated). Sounds like getting another medical provider / pain med consult is indicated. Often physical therapy can be helpful, and acupuncture. TENS units sometimes work. As a prescriber, I hate hearing when not enough is done to reduce pain. I hope things get better for your mom.

• Woman Voter says:

Any one know where I can find a live feed to the Jon Stewart Rally?

• Minkoff Minx says:

When I was just starting college I read a study that was done with people who have Down Syndrome. (Having a brother with Downs, it made a lot of sense.) They were looking into why Downs people do not “age” like normal adults. There is a tendency for those with Downs to look younger than a normal person their same age. The study found that since most Downs people do not have the concept of time and aging, or the preconceived notion that looking young is so damned important, they are not affected with the “worry” that normal adults experience. (Not to mention, the worry that no job and bills and the horrible state the society is in now, that we all are feeling in today’s current situation.) Being that they are unaware of these perceptions that are associated with “age”…they are actually less likely to experience the affects that worry and age have on normal people.

I just found that interesting….

• mablue2 says:

This is really interesting. It confirms the point that our attitude towards aging matters a great deal.

• Delphyne says:

This makes sense to me, Minkoff Minx. I think the desperate act of trying to avoid aging, which I often think people fear more than death, actually makes one look and feel older than they actually are.

It’s odd how the best thing to do to avoid advanced looks of aging is to avoid directly sunlight and get the stress ouht of your life and our ad-wild, profit-wild merchants promote both as well as the creams, gels and pills to supposedly offset the damage. I still haven’t figured out why people still tan in beds. It’s like asking for age spots and skin cancer.

• Woman Voter says:

Their appearance looks younger, however, their bodies age more rapidly and they begin to have ailments that people 20 years older have. Their life expectancy has increased with the aid of vaccines. Respiratory infection were a major concern and still are, but some are living well past 50 now and some even unto their sixties.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Exactly WV, my brother has always had health problems, but now that he is older (he turns 40 this year) we see that he is going into another stage…as far as his mental condition is concerned. I think that they also have a higher rate of Alzheimer as well. But that is something, that even though physically they experience more health issues, they do have less of the effects of aging in their appearance.

stress and sunlight are the two factors that I’ve heard add up to rapid aging signs. Too bad our culture thrives on promoting both.

• Sima says:

Interesting study. I think we’ve talked about this before, but, I have a sister with severe autism. My sister’s face definitely looks younger, she has none of the worries, but her hair grayed far earlier. I think her worries are different things than most peoples’. She worries about schedules and what’s for dinner and if tomorrow the sun will rise. Heh. Maybe they aren’t so different.

• HT says:

Don’t get me started about the lack of progress on depression, which btw is crippling, and doesn’t just affect females. The diagnoses are just pie in the sky get em out of here, and yes, drug em up.
        I was prescribed Eldavil back in the day, because I had an unfortunate pregnancy (conjoined twins), and they figured I would suffer, so they drugged me. Three days out of the hospital, I flushed them down the toilet (yes I know, bad HT, but in those days (77) no one thought about the water systems) I suffered withdrawal and so they prescribed some other machievalian cocktail, which to my shame, I also flushed. Fast forward 26 years, 17 year old daughter is going through some rough time – vomiting, nausea yadda – so what else for a teen girl when the doctor can’t figure out what is wrong – stick her on drugs. They nearly drove her to insanity – family history – our bodies don’t like chemicals, and my poor beloved took after her mom. Anyway, after she went through some really serious issues, I insisted she be referred to an Internist – a specialist in Internal medicine. Low and behold, she had a legitimate medical condition, which by the way had grown worse because she was not diagnosed properly when she was 17. Celiacs, which left untreated led to additional food allergies. Now she is a vegan – not by choice but by necessity. Celiacs is one of the most underdiagnosed conditions because most doctors don’t know what the heck it is, and haven’t realized that normative allergy tests will not identify the issue. Anyway, she’s fine now – a healthy 6 foot beauty (and that’s being honest, she really is beautiful), but my concern is that other children are not being diagnosed properly and are fed drugs under the umbrella of “depression”. BTW, since she was diagnosed, she has encourage some of her friends to have the necessary testing – Yup, they all have Celiacs.

• Branjor says:

HT, re withdrawal from elavil – I took triavil many years ago (combo of elavil and trilafon) and finally stopped the drug cold turkey, without medical supervision. I had a rebound insomnia in which I was unable to sleep at night every night for the next 2 1/2 solid years, but I am now off it, can sleep again and haven’t taken any psych drug since (except a short course of Prozac, but that’s a whole “nother story.)

• HT says:

Branjor, I was given eldavil after being on a cocktail of librium and demorol – keep the girl under mentality (and this was in a hospital after the caesarian to birth the twins), so my withdrawal resulted in catonia. I don’t know whether my body rebelled, or whether my brain just said – Enough!
            Since then I’ve had problems sleeping, but one adjusts because one has to. It’s a bad day when I have to take any kind of medication. Just had to dispose of acethominophin because it was several years past it’s expiry.

• Branjor says:

HT – catatonia, that’s one terrible withdrawal effect. After being on all that, though, it’s no wonder you were catatonic. Keep the girl under seems to be practically all psychiatry has to “offer” women. I am sensitive to drugs also now. I developed a slight tongue tremor, which is a symptom of tardive dyskinesia, a progressive movement disorder caused solely by antipsychotic drugs, so I stopped the drug in order to stop the disorder in its tracks. Luckily, it has not progressed. I also still have occasional trouble sleeping, but not like during the withdrawal period. Hopefully, your sleeping problems will improve over time too.
            Trilafon, btw, is a drug given for schizophrenia, which I don’t have, but I guess it was given to quiet the paranoid ideas of reference I used to get at the time.

• HT says:

Branjour, the closest I get to a drug these days is tryptophan in the guise of milk. I wake up several times per night. If I wake around 3AM, I get a huge glass of milk, which allows me to sleep until 7AM. I’ve come to the conclusion that I worry too much about my sleep patterns and that worry is probably more dangerous to my health that the lack of sleep. If I nod off in the middle of the day – so what and good for me. I’m not out doing nasty things to other people although some days that sounds like a great stress reliever.

• NWLuna says:

Argh! It’s almost always easier on the body to taper off a med.

If only the drug industry would take real illnesses seriously instead of profit-making from natural acts of nature like wrinkles and erectile dysfunction. I have been struggling with a drug resistent staph all year and you’d think they’d be concerned their old antibiotics are failing. It will probably take an outburts of some form of bubonic plague that threatens their marketing reps before we see any action. Either that or some other country will do it first with a decent health care system.

• HT says:

Agree – sad thing, in daughter’s case, drugs were the easy way out. It’s changed, thank the goddess because more doctors are being educated about her situation. It will take time for sure to redirect the medical field’s preconceived notions, and you are correct, that only comes when Profit is discounted as a motivater.

Another horror story – a friend came down with debilitating symptoms precluding her ability to work. She could not get up in the morning, could not read a page without forgetting the first sentence or why she had the book in hand to begin with. Doctors prescibed depression medication – didn’t work. Worse, her symptoms got worse – cardio-pulmonary failure. She had to hire a nanny cause she could not take care of the children that she had tried so hard to concieve, but she was just depressed – female and all. The following year, another woman of my acquaintance came down with the same symptoms and was treated the same way. Both these women were high functioning, really intelligent women, destined for VP positions in a major global company (both were in the upper levels of management). The situation didn’t get much attention until some men started to display the same symptoms and even today the medical establishment doesn’t have an answer. It’s gone from Epstein Barr through a few incarnations to Chronic Fatique syndrome, and who knows what it’s labeled today.
            My friend carries her X-rays around when she is referred to other specialists. She has had a heart attack, a stroke, pulmonary failure – none of them know what the heck is going on. The other acquaintance – unfortunately succumbed some years back – she was 35 and left behind two children and a grieving husband. Yeah, depression is the catch-all of the clueless.
            My apologies. I got carried away.

7. Sima says:

I’m surprised the health care bill isn’t on Ezra’s list of six things. It’s going to be the gift that keeps on giving for the Republicans. I keep hoping it’ll be made ‘better’ by the Dems, but I don’t see how.

• Zaladonis says:

It’ll be tweaked here and there but the big stuff that’s wrong with it will remain.

Our window of opportunity for real health care reform has closed.

• cwaltz says:

I think the great compromise was Ezra’s baby. I remember reading BTD from Talk Left discussing him when discussing health care

8. HT says:

BTW, just an aside – Mablue, I’ve always enjoyed your postings and although a lurker, really missed them at TC. I’m so glad to see you here.

9. Pat Johnson says:

After scouring the headlines and the predications of a GOP blowout this coming Tuesday, the very thought of Boehner taking over once again is too depressing to contemplate. Add to that factor the possibility of some of the most radical and extreme candidates joining the fray and my mood darkens even more so.

I have no idea what the general public hopes to gain by this shift backward. The prediction that a bulk of the women’s vote will go toward those who have already telegraphed their intent to weaken women’s issues even more to the point of complete obliteration and I have completely lost hope in the process.

Obama has proven what many of us had long suspected: that he is not up to the job of getting “down and dirty” with those who would further the agenda of imposing even more limitations in the area of social and cultural policies. Rather than fight for the priniciples we maintain he has chosen a path of appeasement that has led us to the eventual rise of a semi theocracy brought to us by those who have been waiting to inflict this success for decades.

Hopefully there will rise from this travesty a voice of reason and leadership that will return a sense of inspiration rather than this malaise of defeat. Until then I am deeply saddened by the direction we may be taking and facing a future that is dire in the face of the midterm outcome.

I hope this just puts the real Democratic representatives in a fighting mood on all sides. It’s ridiculous that it’s come to this.

• grayslady says:

When the economy is in the tank there is always an anti-incumbent attitude among voters. The Dems received the benefits in 2006 and 2008, but they didn’t deliver on their promises. The problem this cycle, I think, is that most voters really aren’t that well informed on what shapes the issues, as well as some ignorance on the issues themselves. They know the system is broken, that there is no leadership in Washington, and that both parties are essentially corrupt. So the voters are being swayed by who speaks the loudest. It’s a question of group dynamics, in my opinion. Have you ever noticed that in any group, unless a strong, reasoned voice emerges, people flock to the person who talks the most and the loudest? The Repubs are simply taking advantage of that behavior.

10. mablue2 says:

How long until some tragedy of epic proportion happens?

Woman Receives Death Threats Days After Beck Targets Her On His Show

The League of Women Voters has filed complaints with police in Evanston, IL and the FBI saying that one of their officials has been targeted by death threats relating to a candidatess debate she moderated last week. Kathy Tate-Bradish was a volunteer moderator at the October 21 debate in the state’s 8th District and sparked conservative outrage when she expressed what was perceived as “lukewarm” support for reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

I know. I know. Glenn Beck is just a Libertarian who cares only about low taxes and small Government.

• grayslady says:

IL-08 is my district. I mentioned on a thread last night that the Repub running here is the worst the party has fielded in years–downright scary. We’re very much a moderate, purple district so it sounds to me like Joe Walsh’s supporters planned this deliberately and then fed it to Glenn Beck. It certainly sounds as though it’s an attempt to discredit the League of Women Voters as a “left-wing” organization. The League has been responsible for all the suburban candidate debates along the North Shore of Chicago for as long as I can remember, and it has never been viewed as a partisan organization.

• mablue2 says:

This is just horrible.

• Branjor says:

Today, discredit the League of Women Voters as a left wing organization, tomorrow, discredit women voters as (largely) left wing, next day, repeal women’s right to vote. Hopefully, that was just a flight of fantasy I just took off on.

They try that all the time. When I ran for office in the early 1990s, my membership and activity in the League was held up as “marching in the streets with lesbians” and supporting a “radical left” agenda. I guess they consider giving voters information on candidates a communist conspiracy.

• purplefinn says:

Glenn Beck sends dog whistle. I thought the intimidation was particularly insidious when he was careful to emphasize her name twice.

“They came first for the Communists,
        and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
        and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
        and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for me
        and by that time no one was left to speak up.”

• ORtreehugger says:

Beck is a creep. I think some Americans are becoming fascist idiots. The only time I said the pledge of allegiance was in grade school. Are these people stuck in that time?

Beck is profiteering from fear and anger. Typical demogoguery.

• Branjor says:

Speaking of demogoguery – profiteering from fear and anger – do you think that was the original motive for the demogoguery feeding off fear and anger that occurred in Germany in the 1930s – profit?

profiteering and power grabbing are the two sides to one coin

• HT says:

Uhm. lets look at who surreptiously supported Germany in the 30’s. US Steel, check, Joseph Kennedy, check, Charles Lindburgh, check, William Randolph Hearst, check, John Rockefeller, check, Andrew Mellon, check, Prescott Bush (yes those bushes), Check. and too many more to name. Those were just the most recognizable. When looking at the list of upstanding magnates, who already had more fistfuls of money than they could ever use, consider the difficulty that FDR had in bypassing and neutralizing them. If these men had their way….well American would be a vastly different place. I have no doubt that Hitler would have been defeated however, America without FDR …well consider it.
            And Branjour, your original question was about profit. Look at the names – and I haven’t listed them all. However, it’s not profit that motivates these leeches – it’s power.

• Branjor says:

Thx, you two. Come to think of it, I once read that another word for fascism is corporatism. I guess profiteering and power grabbing also combine with a lack of conscience, to produce an environment in which something like the holocaust could happen.

11. Adrienne in CA says:

I have different take on the pledge thing. Look, Glenn Beck is a despicable hate-monger, that’s a given. But how many times do progressives have to let flag phobia unfairly paint us as godless communists? If they want the damn pledge, say it. Wear the flag pins. Put your hand over your heart, as Hillary wisely did in that famous photo. There are plenty of quotes by our forefathers that speak to progressive values, so quote them. Intellectualizing this issue is a losing battle. Americans love their symbols, so display them proudly — bigger and better than the other side. I did Dem voter registration tables here in ‘godless’ Silicon Valley most weekends for years. Believe me, I had plenty of patriotic red, white and blue, and the biggest flag on the block.

*****A

• HT says:

I’m a Canuck, so I’m not affected, however, I am also not a progressive – whatever the ‘ell that is. I am a liberal. I don’t believe that people putting their hand over their heart and reciting words is indicative of their ability to serve and protect the people who elect them and that is where I agree with you. Words, words, words haven’t people learned anything from this last most egrecious election cycle. Words mean nothing. Actions – that’s where the muscle lies. Words without muscle – just words.
      BTW, Nov 11th is Remembrance Day here – it’s a day for honoring all of our people involved in protecting freedom – world wars or whatever peacekeeping expedition. I am not happy about Afghanistan – can you tell? but that is not the fault of our brilliant soldiers. Anyway, I know you folks have your own day to commemorate (memorial day?) however, if you could send some really good thoughts on November 11 – not just our guys and gals, but yours and Britain’s and all the Nato countries.
      Last thought – I hate war – as I get older I’m beginning to believe that war really is a game run by very old men of all colors who have no other sexual outlet. Apologies if that offends anyone, but really, look at the leaders of every major conflict. See any women?

12. Hey Dakinikat, can’t figure out why I’ve been getting so many hits from This post, but I will say this: “The Rally To Restore Hannity never said the words ‘Afghanistan’ or ‘BP Oilspill'”. That’s a fact Jackinikat. Nada about our nearly 10 year WAR. Nothing about the Gulf…. I mean at least Abby Hoffman tried to Levitate the fucking Pentagon ok?
    I’m sick of it all, sick of seeing faux progressives hand their testicular fortitude to the Nazis on a silver platter with a chive garnish.
    This isn’t funny to me. It is much more poignant than Comedy Central ratings.
    We’ve been severely had.
    Proles-R-Us

A working class hero is something to be …
      That is why our we have to do our own versions of pamphleteering from our respective corners of the blogosphere. I remain a liberal. I’m not sure what type of animals be these progressives.