Friday Night Treats

1 1/4 pounds cashew nuts
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon melted butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until they are warmed through. Meanwhile, combine the rosemary, pepper, sugar, salt and butter in a large bowl. Toss the warm nuts with the rosemary mixture until the nuts are completely coated. Serve warm.

10 Comments on “Friday Night Treats”

1. Sima says:

Hard to think about good recipes when I’m sitting here eating quick and easy pizza (from the grocery store, no less), but lemme give it a try.

Here’s something good for our health. Up here in the North collards are considered strange, although we provide them to our CSA customers every couple weeks. Because of that, I have to provide recipes. Here’s the intro recipe I give:

Take 1 tbls olive oil, 2 tsp minced garlic, 2 slices bacon (or ham, and more if you like bacon and ham). Saute the garlic and the bacon or ham in the olive oil until the bacon is done and the garlic is browned. Pour in a cup or two of chicken or beef stock, bring to a boil and add coarsely chopped, well washed, collard greens. Add ½ tsp salt and crushed red or black pepper to taste. The greens will take anywhere from ½ hour to an hour to cook until tender.

2. Woman Voter says:

I have to go buy candy for Sunday. Ah, another year of waiting for the door bell, but I will admit the little babies and the ones barely walking are cute.

• Dee says:

My local news tells me to prepare for the little ones on both Saturday and Sunday. So I have purchased double the usual amount. I think its a plot to help the local merchants.

3. Sima says:

15 years I’ve lived on this farm, down a long scary private driveway from the busy road. 15 years of Halloween I’ve bought a couple bags of candy for potential trick or treaters. 15 years I’ve spent All Saints Day eating a couple bags of candy…

Good traditions are hard to break!

4. Pips says:

I just love cashews … au naturel. But that recipe sounds deliciously delicious. Must try!

5. grayslady says:

The “Brennan’s Pork Chop” is one of my favorite quick meals (had it for dinner last night). Don’t know if it really comes from Brennan’s (dakini would know), but that’s what the author claims. If it does, they probably use a fancier pork chop, but my take on the recipe is still good enough for company if you want. This recipe is for one person (adjust accordingly for more) and takes about 6 minutes to prepare and cook:

Take one bone-in pork chop, 1/2″ thick. Season both sides lightly with salt, onion powder and garlic powder, and more heavily with paprika. Rub spices into meat.
    In a frying pan, heat 2/3 Tbsp unsalted butter over medium heat. When butter bubbles begin to subside, add pork chop and cook for 3 minutes. Turn chop, turn heat to low, cover pan, and cook for 2 minutes more.
    Remove chop to plate and whisk into pan drippings 2-4 Tbsp sour cream (2 Tbsp if you just want sauce on the chop, more if you want extra sauce to pour over potato side dish–mashed, shoestring fries, or baked are nice with this). Pour sauce over chop (and potatoes, if desired) and serve.

I lived blocks from Brennan’s for years and I have to say I’ve never even eaten there. I can’t imagine spending that much money for something gone that quick! The only Brennan restaurant I frequent is Ralph’s on the Park and I occasionally go to Commander’s but I have to say, I’ve never had pork chop! Most of their recipes are pretty basic, however. I am a Galatoire’s fan since Leon is a friend and his cook books rule. You go to Lisa and Leon’s house and you put on five pounds within minutes.