Friday Reads: Nearly Every one Loves Hillary these Days

Good Morning!

3_302015_clinton8201_c0-0-5130-2991_s885x516Things keep getting stranger and stranger on the U.S. Political front. I guess that’s what you get when one of the candidates likely has a severe personality disorder.

Dubya’s CIA Director is the latest foreign policy guru to dump on Trump. Michael Morrell just endorsed Clinton on the op Ed page of NYT.  This is the guy that was in charge of the agency during 9/11.  He was also the Director under Obama during the killing of Osama bin Laden in 2011. He’s technically a registered independent and stays out of politics.

On Nov. 8, I will vote for Hillary Clinton. Between now and then, I will do everything I can to ensure that she is elected as our 45th president.

Two strongly held beliefs have brought me to this decision. First, Mrs. Clinton is highly qualified to be commander in chief. I trust she will deliver on the most important duty of a president — keeping our nation safe. Second, Donald J. Trump is not only unqualified for the job, but he may well pose a threat to our national security.

I spent four years working with Mrs. Clinton when she was secretary of state, most often in the White House Situation Room. In these critically important meetings, I found her to be prepared, detail-oriented, thoughtful, inquisitive and willing to change her mind if presented with a compelling argument.

I also saw the secretary’s commitment to our nation’s security; her belief that America is an exceptional nation that must lead in the world for the country to remain secure and prosperous; her understanding that diplomacy can be effective only if the country is perceived as willing and able to use force if necessary; and, most important, her capacity to make the most difficult decision of all — whether to put young American women and men in harm’s way.

Mrs. Clinton was an early advocate of the raid that brought Bin Laden to justice, in opposition to some of her most important colleagues on the National Security Council. During the early debates about how we should respond to the Syrian civil war, she was a strong proponent of a more aggressive approach, one that might have prevented the Islamic State from gaining a foothold in Syria.

I never saw her bring politics into the Situation Room. In fact, I saw the opposite. When some wanted to delay the Bin Laden raid by one day because the White House Correspondents Dinner might be disrupted, she said, “Screw the White House Correspondents Dinner.”

In sharp contrast to Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Trump has no experience on national security. Even more important, the character traits he has exhibited during the primary season suggest he would be a poor, even dangerous, commander in chief.

You can go read the latest complete evisceration of Trump’s unsuitability for the Presidency.  Crazy Charles Krauthammer also spends a lot of ink in WAPO doing a Trump Take down but only strongly suggests he mends his evil

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton talks with people assembled to meet her while sitting with business leaders Kiki Smith Cyrus (L) and Cynthia Hardy (R) at Kiki's Chicken and Waffles restaurant in Columbia, South Carolina May 27, 2015. REUTERS/Chris Aluka Berry - RTX1ET8O

ways.

Of course we all try to protect our own dignity and command respect. But Trump’s hypersensitivity and unedited, untempered Pavlovian responses are, shall we say, unusual in both ferocity and predictability.

This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him.

Most politicians seek approval. But Trump lives for the adoration. He doesn’t even try to hide it, boasting incessantly about his crowds, his standing ovations, his TV ratings, his poll numbers, his primary victories. The latter are most prized because they offer empirical evidence of how loved and admired he is.

Prized also because, in our politics, success is self-validating. A candidacy that started out as a joke, as a self-aggrandizing exercise in xenophobia, struck a chord in a certain constituency and took off. The joke was on those who believed that he was not a serious man and therefore would not be taken seriously. They — myself emphatically included — were wrong.

635762048836482948-AP-DEM-2016-ClintonAs Boston Boomer posted yesterday, the polls continue to show a tremendous post convention bounce.  States are at play that would normally not elect a Democrat.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has surged to a 15-point lead over reeling, gaffe-plagued Republican Donald Trump, according to a new McClatchy-Marist poll.

Clinton made strong gains with two constituencies crucial to a Republican victory – whites and men – while scoring important gains among fellow Democrats, the poll found.

Clinton not only went up, but Trump also went down. Clinton now has a 48-33 percent lead, a huge turnaround from her narrow 42-39 advantage last month.

The findings are particularly significant because the poll was taken after both political conventions ended and as Trump engaged in a war of words with the parents of Army Capt. Humayun Khan, who was killed in an explosion in Iraq 12 years ago while trying to rescue other soldiers.

An NBC/WJS poll shows the Clinton/Kaine ticket leading by 9 points.

In this latest poll, Clinton enjoys a significant advantage among women (51 percent to Trump’s 35 percent), African Americans (91 percent to 1 percent), all non-white voters (69 percent to 17 percent), young voters (46 percent to 34 percent), and white voters with a college degree (47 percent to 40 percent).

Trump leads among white voters (45 percent to Clinton’s 40 percent), seniors (46 percent to 43 percent), independents (36 percent to 32 percent) and white voters without a college degree (49 percent to 36 percent).

The two candidates are running nearly even among men, at 43 percent for Clinton and 42 percent for Trump.

As Charles Blow put it yesterday, the one demographic she seems to lose are fragile white men and mostly those without college educations.  How fragile are these guys anyway?

These are the voters keeping Trump’s candidacy alive.

He appeals to a regressive, patriarchal American whiteness in which white men prospered, in part because racial and ethnic minorities, to say nothing of women as a whole, were undervalued and underpaid, if not excluded altogether.

White men reigned supreme in the idealized history, and all was good with the world. (It is curious that Trump never specifies a period when America was great in his view. Did it overlap with the women’s rights, civil rights or gay rights movements? For whom was it great?)

Trump’s wall is not practical, but it is metaphor. Trump’s Muslim ban is not feasible, but it is metaphor. Trump’s huge deportation plan isn’t workable, but it is metaphor.

There is a portion of the population that feels threatened by unrelenting change — immigration, globalization, terrorism, multiculturalism — and those people want someone to, metaphorically at least, build a wall around their cultural heritage, which they conflate in equal measure with American heritage.

In their minds, whether explicitly or implicitly, America is white, Christian, straight and male-dominated. If you support Trump, you are on some level supporting his bigotry and racism. You don’t get to have a puppy and not pick up the poop.

And acceptance of racism is an act of racism. You are convicted by your complicity.

The white male agita has become worse this week and I’ve seen and heard angst about Clinton from that same demographic since the focus has been high on the historic nature of the nomination.

We’ve been having conversations about if white men really have that many mommy issues here. See Samantha B and Amanda Marcotte for that too. It’s more like one group having a national temper tantrum more than anything else. The complaints are openly delusional and patently false. It’s a weird siege mentality.

Here’s a few things you may want to check out:

First, this is how a real man handles a crying baby.

A neuroscientist explains what may be wrong with Trump supporters’ brains.

Some believe that many of those who support Donald Trump do so because of ignorance — basically they are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been, they simply take his word for it.

The seemingly obvious solution would be to try to reach those people through political ads, expert opinions, and logical arguments that educate with facts. Except none of those things seem to be swaying any Trump supporters from his side, despite great efforts to deliver this information to them directly.

A Purple Heart Recipient takes it to Trump.  J.R. Martinez to Donald Trump: Stop Disrespecting Military Veterans and Fallen Soldiers

My hope is that your actions and words do not continue to erode our civil discourse. I pray that good people in this country continue to be shocked by your rhetoric because that means they agree that your words and actions have no place in society, much less in the Oval Office.

You have stated that all press is good pressIt’s an interesting strategy that has thus far worked for you. But this, the memory of our fallen soldiers, their families, former POWs, and the proud recipients of the Purple Heart honor. This is not the position from which you should be getting your press. This is off-limits.

Please remember that the people you are speaking about, our brave men and women of the armed forces make up less than 1% of the population. However, if you become commander in chief, they will be the people who are going to fight for you regardless of personal politics. These are the people who will defend you. These are their families you are talking about. These are not the people you want to continue to carry out your petty grievances and personal attacks with.

I respectfully suggest you get a primer on the word sacrifice, as well as a lesson in human decency.

You may have noticed I’m a little absent here recently. I’m going through some enormous challenges in my life right now.  The University where I have worked for the last five years has changed some rules and created a situation where I cannot teach. The result has been an enormous strain on my finances and right now, I’m fighting to keep my home.  I’m also finding out how challenging it is for a 60 year old woman to be taken seriously as a job candidate any where.  My life has pretty much gone into a free fall over the last six months with freak things happening to my car and house and this.  The anxiety is really causing me severe health problems and of course, I’ve lost my health insurance too.  Anyway, be good to each other and appreciate all that you have today.  Every thing is so fragile and impermanent.

What’s on your reading and blogging list today?

41 Comments on “Friday Reads: Nearly Every one Loves Hillary these Days”

Charles Krauthammer is a psychiatrist, by the way. He knows whereof he speaks.

2. Sweet Sue says:

Dak, I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through tough times; no one deserves that less.
    Weren’t you planning to move to Washington to be near your daughter?
    Best of luck, all round.

I’ve been trying but it’s so expensive there and I need to find some kind of job to sustain. I’ve lost nearly all my income.

• Caro says:

I’ve been there, dakinakat. It’s very hard to go through.

Just remember you are loved. ((((Dakinikat))))

• ANonOMouse says:

Dak…..Just know that we are with you. We were knocked down to our knees in 2008, with my wife laid off and having to go back to school to become a nurse at 57 years old. I’ve said many times that for women 60 is the threshold of invisibility. It’s a very difficult time for a woman, especially if you’ve lost your job. It’s taken us 8 years to struggle back to a place of fragile stability with a multitude of things going wrong in the intervening years. I hope you find a way to make it to Washington soon or at least find a job that enables you to stay afloat until you can make that happen. If there’s anything we/I can do, please let us/me know. In the meantime know that you are in my good thoughts every day.

• quixote says:

How awful. So sorry to hear that. (And here I’ve been imagining you soaking in the Seattle dew all this time 😦 .) The nomadic precarious academic life is suitable only for tough annual weeds, not human beings!

Here’s hoping that things work better sooner rather than later.

• Ron4Hills says:

You deserve good things. You have to have some good karma on its way!

• joanelle says:

What Ron said, many times over!

Thanks you two! I’m just trying to do what I can and hope something breaks in the right direction before I do. It’s been awhile since my life has gone flip flop and I’m less resilient and less of a fighter than i used to be.

• joanelle says:

Kat, you are a bright, savvy, sharing soul, oh, and a genius level, economist. Is there a blog that gives wisdom to seekers of economic information, get a few sponsors, donors, fund me kind of dollars coming your way.

Go girl, we’ve got some amazing people who are Sky dancers, I’m sure there is someone here who can intellectually support your start up that can share some of your economic savvy with middle class (us) who need to smarten up about $ and plain old numbers.

Mike and I are both retirees now living on a fairly fixed income, a better understanding of today’s economy couldn’t hurt.

Consult through a blog, to middle class folks, for a fee!

Joanelle

3. Jslat says:

Dak, wish there were some way to lift you up. When bad things happen to good people, it makes no sense. Thoughts of support to you!

4. RalphB says:

Terribly sorry to hear you’re having life issues. It seems to get harder as we age. Please let us know if there’s a way we can help you through it.

Maybe this will lift your spirits a little, made me take notice this morning.

TPM Polltracker: Whoa, Nellie: New Georgia Poll Gives Clinton 44-40 Lead

Add that one to Arizona. This election may be an amazing landslide.

• Enheduanna says:

I don’t know about Dak but it sure raised mine!

Atlanta keeps Georgia from being solid red like AL and MS I think. I like to remind commentators on other sites this is where Jimmy Carter, John Lewis, MLK, Jr., Andrew Young, Julian Bond and so many other civil rights leaders call or called home. We’re also a young city demographically with a lot of transplants from the North moving here.

5. palhart says:

That’s way too much to happen to one, dak. I sincerely hope you have some breaks soon. My friend and her husband have been having a difficult time financially since the recession. She says, of all her life’s problems, this reduced income period has been the worst. I hope things improve soon.

6. Enheduanna says:

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles too, Dak. I’m your age group and would be devastated if I had to look for new work.

You are so super-talented I know you’ll be OK.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

9. Caro says:

From the neuroscientist article: “The Dunning-Kruger effect explains that the problem isn’t just that they are misinformed; it’s that they are completely unaware that they are misinformed. This creates a double burden.”

But it’s actually a TRIPLE burden, because they’ve been trained to distrust anyone but the people who are well paid to lie to them.

10. Thank you for posting — it’s always refreshing to read your take. Take heart — there are many of us out there. I’m an underemployed (adjunct teaching one course) woman in my late sixties. We still have contributions to offer.

11. janicen says:

I’m very sorry to hear about the challenges you are facing, dak. Try to stay positive and know that we here in blogville admire and respect you and hope that this is a temporary disruption until your life evens out again. ❤

12. janicen says:

Wanted to share this tweet I read which reminds all of us that Trump didn’t just throw a baby out of his rally, there was a woman holding that baby who was humiliated and abused by Trump.

• teele says:

While we know Trump has women problems, I think this is more representative of his narcissistic/borderline personality disorder. I know about this through being related to someone who has this disorder, who is female. People like Trump will go off on anybody, at times that seem random to a casual observer. Even with years of experience dealing with them, it is easy to miss cues if you let down your guard for a minute (which happens because they can be disarmingly charming at times). Their worst treatment is always saved for those closest to them, and I believe his children and wives have not had an easy time of it. The wives can bail, but the kids are stuck for life.
      He has treated men just as badly — he’s made lap dogs out of Chris Christie and Mike Pence and weak-looking fools out of Paul Ryan, Reince Priebus and Mitch McConnell, and reduced a national hero (John McCain) to a national joke who can never claim any self-respect again. A narcissist doesn’t respect anyone besides themselves, and race, gender and ethnicity are all truly immaterial to them. If you are not Donald Trump, you exist only to be belittled by Donald Trump. His KKK fanboyz are deluded if they believe they have special favor in Trumpiverse; if he got a chance to humiliate one of them in the same way he did the woman with the baby, he would take it.

• janicen says:

I agree with all of your points about Trump, but I think the more subtle point about the comment is how many people who took issue with the incident and Trump’s behavior, focused on the baby and barely acknowledged that there was an adult woman on the receiving end of Trump’s abuse. The baby didn’t know what was going on, the woman did. As well, the commenter’s point about women being forced out of public life and events because they are expected to be responsible for children is valid and often overlooked.

13. William says:

Dakinikat, I am sorry to hear that you are having some economic struggles, and I do hope that you can find some comfortable footing in a while. In a more general sense, I do think that the plight of many people of middle age in this country, is being overshadowed by other concerns and complaints. It is harder to find jobs. And those senior citizens who depend on Social Security checks, and interest on their savings accounts, find that the first is absolutely stagnant, while the second is coming perilously close to negative interest rates. Ben Bernanke used to regularly say at his Fed conferences, that he realized that retirees and fixed income people were suffering, but that it was more important to keep interest rates low to (help the banks). That was years ago, and the situation has gotten worse for many people; and it is tragic in some cases, and yet we hear almost nothing about it.

Dak, I am sad to hear about how things have gone downhill for you. Sucks how experience isn’t seen as valuable as we grow older. Housing prices are insane in Seattle. (Another reason I refuse to patronize Amazon.) No way could I afford to live here now if we hadn’t bought a fixer back in ’90. Even condos are priced exorbitantly.

Tacoma or Bellingham may be good alternatives, though they’ve gone up too. Just got a realtor’s flyer in the mail today: Avg price 3-bdrm house in Tacoma: $228,000. B’ham: 361,00. Seattle, depending on area: $541,000-$865,000. Urgh. Hmmm. Edit your CV and aim at economics consultant to tech companies?

I hope the situation improves soon for you. Gentle hugs to you.

15. Enheduanna says:

Here’s something for laughs for anyone in the mood – courtesy of my hilarious brother-in-law:

(If Donald Trump Sounded Like Donald Duck)

Happy Friday and Weekend to everyone…

Thx for the thoughts, hugs and kind words. It’s hard not to feel completely worthless. I’m so glad we have our safe spot and community here! It makes me feel surrounded by love and kindness.

• Fannie says:

Dak, you know you are in our hearts and our minds. It’ll fall in line, you are so upbeat. Makes me think of doing the shuffle, com’ on sky dancers, let’s get the groove.

• Beata says:

Kat, always remember that you are not worthless! You have intrinsic value. That can never be taken away from you. And you are loved by many people, including me!

Wishing you “peace like a river”. xoxo

From Smithsonian Folkways:

17. janicen says:

The first link, the Michael Morrell endorsement is a must read. This isn’t funny anymore folks.

In the intelligence business, we would say that Mr. Putin had recruited Mr. Trump as an unwitting agent of the Russian Federation.

18. janicen says:

Gotta love this tweet…

• Sweet Sue says:

Republicans should be forced to carry their candidates to term. Even when the life of the party is in danger

My Goodness, that’s brilliant

19. janicen says:

Olympic opening ceremonies are pretty cool so far.