Thursday Reads: Democratic National Convention, Day Three

ObamaClinton

Good Morning!!

President Obama was magnificent last night. He praised Hillary Clinton and called her the most qualified person ever to run for president–including himself and Bill Clinton. Here’s the full transcript. An excerpt:

I see Americans of every party, every background, every faith who believe that we are stronger together—black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American; young, old; gay, straight; men, women, folks with disabilities, all pledging allegiance, under the same proud flag, to this big, bold country that we love. That’s what I see. That’s the America I know!

And there is only one candidate in this race who believes in that future, has devoted her life to that future; a mother and a grandmother who would do anything to help our children thrive; a leader with real plans to break down barriers, and blast through glass ceilings, and widen the circle of opportunity to every single American—the next President of the United States, Hillary Clinton. That’s right!

Let me tell you, eight years ago, you may remember Hillary and I were rivals for the Democratic nomination. We battled for a year and a half. Let me tell you, it was tough, because Hillary was tough. I was worn out. She was doing everything I was doing, but just like Ginger Rogers, it was backwards in heels. And every time I thought I might have the race won, Hillary just came back stronger.

But after it was all over, I asked Hillary to join my team. And she was a little surprised. Some of my staff was surprised. But ultimately she said yes—because she knew that what was at stake was bigger than either of us. And for four years—for four years, I had a front-row seat to her intelligence, her judgment, and her discipline. I came to realize that her unbelievable work ethic wasn’t for praise, it wasn’t for attention—that she was in this for everyone who needs a champion. I understood that after all these years, she has never forgotten just who she’s fighting for.

Hillary has still got the tenacity that she had as a young woman, working at the Children’s Defense Fund, going door-to-door to ultimately make sure kids with disabilities could get a quality education.

She’s still got the heart she showed as our First Lady, working with Congress to help push through a Strong Tie commercial trucking insurance Program that to this day protects millions of kids.

She’s still seared with the memory of every American she met who lost loved ones on 9/11—which is why, as a Senator from New York, she fought so hard for funding to help first responders, to help the city rebuild; why, as Secretary of State, she sat with me in the Situation Room and forcefully argued in favor of the mission that took out bin Laden.

gty_obama_dnc_1_er_160727_12x5_1600

You know, nothing truly prepares you for the demands of the Oval Office. You can read about it. You can study it. But until you’ve sat at that desk, you don’t know what it’s like to manage a global crisis, or send young people to war. But Hillary has been in the room; she’s been part of those decisions. She knows what’s at stake in the decisions our government makes—what’s at stake for the working family, for the senior citizen, or the small business owner, for the soldier, for the veteran. And even in the midst of crisis, she listens to people, and she keeps her cool, and she treats everybody with respect. And no matter how daunting the odds, no matter how much people try to knock her down, she never, ever quits.

That is the Hillary I know. That’s the Hillary I’ve come to admire. And that’s why I can say with confidence there has never been a man or a woman—not me, not Bill, nobody—more qualified than Hillary Clinton to serve as President of the United States of America.

And Bill Clinton loved it! He stood and cheered along with the rest of the crowd.

Obama on Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton:

You know, the Donald is not really a plans guy. He’s not really a facts guy, either. He calls himself a business guy, which is true, but I have to say, I know plenty of businessmen and women who’ve achieved remarkable success without leaving a trail of lawsuits, and unpaid workers, and people feeling like they got cheated.

Does anyone really believe that a guy who’s spent his 70 years on this Earth showing no regard for working people is suddenly going to be your champion? Your voice?

If so, you should vote for him. But if you’re someone who’s truly concerned about paying your bills, if you’re really concerned about pocketbook issues and seeing the economy grow, and creating more opportunity for everybody, then the choice isn’t even close. If you want someone with a lifelong track record of fighting for higher wages, and better benefits, and a fairer tax code, and a bigger voice for workers, and stronger regulations on Wall Street, then you should vote for Hillary Clinton.

If you’re rightly concerned about who’s going to keep you and your family safe in a dangerous world, well, the choice is even clearer. Hillary Clinton is respected around the world—not just by leaders, but by the people they serve.

I have to say this. People outside of the United States do not understand what’s going on in this election. They really don’t. Because they know Hillary. They’ve seen her work. She’s worked closely with our intelligence teams, our diplomats, our military. She has the judgment and the experience and the temperament to meet the threat from terrorism. It’s not new to her. Our troops have pounded ISIL without mercy, taking out their leaders, taking back territory. And I know Hillary won’t relent until ISIL is destroyed. She will finish the job. And she will do it without resorting to torture, or banning entire religions from entering our country. She is fit and she is ready to be the next Commander-in-Chief.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump calls our military a disaster. Apparently, he doesn’t know the men and women who make up the strongest fighting force the world has ever known. He suggests America is weak. He must not hear the billions of men and women and children, from the Baltics to Burma, who still look to America to be the light of freedom and dignity and human rights. He cozies up to Putin, praises Saddam Hussein, tells our NATO allies that stood by our side after 9/11 that they have to pay up if they want our protection.

Well, America’s promises do not come with a price tag. We meet our commitments. We bear our burdens. That’s one of the reasons why almost every country on Earth sees America as stronger and more respected today than they did eight years ago when I took office.

America is already great. America is already strong. And I promise you, our strength, our greatness, does not depend on Donald Trump. In fact, it doesn’t depend on any one person. And that, in the end, may be the biggest difference in this election—the meaning of our democracy.

Ronald Reagan called America “a shining city on a hill.” Donald Trump calls it “a divided crime scene” that only he can fix. It doesn’t matter to him that illegal immigration and the crime rate are as low as they’ve been in decades—because he’s not actually offering any real solutions to those issues. He’s just offering slogans, and he’s offering fear. He’s betting that if he scares enough people, he might score just enough votes to win this election.

And that’s another bet that Donald Trump will lose. And the reason he’ll lose it is because he’s selling the American people short. We’re not a fragile people. We’re not a frightful people. Our power doesn’t come from some self-declared savior promising that he alone can restore order as long as we do things his way. We don’t look to be ruled. Our power comes from those immortal declarations first put to paper right here in Philadelphia all those years ago: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that We the People, can form a more perfect union.

And there was much much more. At the end, Hillary came out on stage and they hugged. It was a beautiful moment.

Of course this morning’s papers are filled with warnings that Hillary had better be good tonight, and that she can never live up to Obama’s performance last night. There are even multiple articles about Bill and Hillary’s supposedly horrible, “incomprehensible” marriage. You know what? I’m not going to link to any of those. I believe that Hillary will do very well tonight. The crowd in the hall will love her and lift her up; and women and girls around the country will shed tears at the thought of a woman finally becoming President of the U.S.

The media will pick her speech apart; they’ll find fault with her appearance and her manner of speaking. It’s what they do. And we will do what President Obama asked:

Time and again, you’ve picked me up. I hope, sometimes, I picked you up, too. Tonight, I ask you to do for Hillary Clinton what you did for me. I ask you to carry her the same way you carried me. Because you’re who I was talking about twelve years ago, when I talked about hope – it’s been you who’ve fueled my dogged faith in our future, even when the odds are great; even when the road is long. Hope in the face of difficulty; hope in the face of uncertainty; the audacity of hope!

America, you have vindicated that hope these past eight years. And now I’m ready to pass the baton and do my part as a private citizen. This year, in this election, I’m asking you to join me – to reject cynicism, reject fear, to summon what’s best in us; to elect Hillary Clinton as the next President of the United States, and show the world we still believe in the promise of this great nation.

Thank you for this incredible journey. Let’s keep it going. God bless the United States of America.

Yes we can, Mr. President. We’ll pick her up and carry her to victory in November.

There were many wonderful speeches last night, including Tim Kaine and Joe Biden. The entire night was a parade of A-listers–what a contrast to the pathetic GOP convention! But I’m worn out from two late nights and lots of emotion, so that’s all I have to say for right now. I’ll add some news links in the comment thread. Have a great day everyone!

Advertisements

49 Comments on “Thursday Reads: Democratic National Convention, Day Three”

WaPo:

Post reporter barred, patted down by police, at rally for Trump running mate.

Donald Trump’s campaign has denied press credentials to a number of disfavored media organizations, including The Washington Post, but on Wednesday, the campaign of his running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, went even further.

At Pence’s first public event since he was introduced as the Republican vice-presidential candidate two weeks ago, a Post reporter was barred from entering the venue after security staffers summoned local police to pat him down in a search for his cellphone….

Post reporter Jose A. DelReal sought to cover Pence’s rally at the Waukesha County Exposition Center outside Milwaukee, but he was turned down for a credential beforehand by volunteers at a press check-in table.

DelReal then tried to enter via the general-admission line, as Post reporters have done without incident since Trump last month banned the newspaper from his events. He was stopped there by a private security official who told him he couldn’t enter the building with his laptop and cellphone. When DelReal asked whether others attending the rally could enter with their cellphones, he said the unidentified official replied, “Not if they work for The Washington Post.”

• contrask says:

Why isn’t more being made of this? Hillary has never banned any media outlets from her speeches. How does Trump have the right to do this? Just because he is a thin-skinned orange baby he can tell the media what to do???

• janicen says:

Why isn’t more made of any of it? Can you imagine a press conference where Hillary told a reporter to “shut up” because she didn’t like the question? A press conference where Hillary gave a two word non-answer to a question and then dismissively moved on to the next question?
        – What if Bill told a flat out lie about himself during his convention speech? Melania lied about earning a degree.
        – What if Hillary said we would “look at” letting Russia take the Crimea?
        – What if Hillary called on a foreign dictator to hack our government?
        – What if Hillary ran a sham university that bilked people out of their savings?

I could go on and on. Trump flat out lies every single time he talks to the press and is never taken to task. I’d like to see the press actually walk out of his next press conference the next time he insults or denigrates one of them and then stop showing up at his press conferences so he is denied the free publicity. It will never happen but at some point, the press is going to have to do a little work and take him to task.

They’re all angry with Hillary because she doesn’t have press conferences. If she did, they’d ask her ridiculous insulting questions and then attack her for the answers.

• janicen says:

Since when have candidates held press conferences? Trump does it to save money on advertising and to hog some on-air time, but candidates don’t hold press conferences unless they are saying something specific like “I’m stepping down”.

Once again, the press is letting Trump control the narrative.

• Fannie says:

It’s really bums me out. I’m listening to Gloria Borger, who said Hillary Clinton has got to let people know who she is. People just don’t know her. That’s a crock, the fact is Gloria Borger has been covering her for 10 years, and she has failed to get the message out to who she is, and why 18 million strong voted for her in 2008, and that so many more are rooting for her in 2016. It’s evident to me that Gloria Borger, has put her voice behind Hillary Clinton.

• Fannie says:

Yeah, this is Trump’s America, and Mike Pence should be hammered all be way back home.

Joan Walsh: Hillary Clinton Lets the Men Make Her Case on Night 3 of the DNC

The last two nights of the Democratic Convention featured a political spectacle the nation has never seen: one powerful man after another wielding his powers on behalf of the first woman to be nominated by a major party for president of the United States. As Donald Trump urges Vladimir Putin to hack and distribute Hillary Clinton’s erased State Department e-mails, and ugly GOP crowds continue chanting, “Lock her up,” loyal men have come to her defense, not as though she were a damsel in distress but rather a female superhero colleague targeted by a particularly cruel and repellent villain.

• Fannie says:

I couldn’t help but think of the three presidents together: One who was, one who now is, and our next President of United States.

3. Pat Johnson says:

Another night of sheer joy watching my party and its,stalwarts fashion an affirmative judgment on a candidate we here love, admire and respect for all the right reasons. Obama and Biden were truly superb.

I have been reduced to a puddle or 3 days,straight and I believe tonight to be another “soaker”.
    First Chelsea and then the woman of the hour and a box of Kleenex at my side.

What a contrast to last week’s massive mess. We saw true diversity on display in Philadelphia.
    Black, white, Latino, Asians, Native Americans, old, young, gay, straight, trans, civil rights icons, and ordinary citizens who offered up their personal support. Fabulous!

I intend to be here tonight to listen – and weep – with my cyber friends who have made this 8 year journey such a pleasure.

What an emotional ride and thanks to all who have included me in along the way. I am immensely grateful to have shared it with you!

Many thanks!

I feel the same way, Pat. I’m so glad we’re all still here together.

• Jslat says:

Ditto Pat. What a ride! HILL A REE! HILL A REE! HILL A REE!

• Ron4Hills says:

I could not agree more. Not ashamed to say, I can’t even TELL people about what I have been seeing in this convention without getting verklempt!

ONe question, where is Oprah?

We are here with you, and we will all carry Hillary to victory in November! We have stamina!

• Fannie says:

For us, it’s been a battle, and I am so glad that you too, your voice, and your soul, carried us through to this very day. We feel the same as you, thank you for making us all feel better.

4. janicen says:

Tonight is the night we have hoped for, worked for, marched and protested for, and will be the legacy of our generation for our sons and daughters and for generations beyond.

“Women’s rights are human rights and human rights are women’s rights.”

Once and for all.

I get teary just thinking about it. We did it. She did it. Now we have one more river to cross.

5. Jslat says:

BB thanks! I could watch that biggest video a hundred times and not tire if it! The convention has been so enthralling. DWS really did a good job on it. Hope she gets plenty of praise.

Tonight should be so wonderful. I am tearing up just thinking about it.

Loved that Joan Walsh article!

6. Pat Johnson says:

I am so excited for my granddaughters tonight. They will benefit more from this historical event then I will. My 13,yr old is following the election very closely and I am so proud of her.

For the sake of these young women soon to take their places in this world it is imperative that we win in November.

Lawfare blog: expert says US should make public any evidence that Russia is behind the DNC hack.

On the Need for Official Attribution of Russia’s DNC Hack

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

9. Ron4Hills says:

The hug-fest video reminded me, Christopher Drew Leinonen mother destroyed me the moring of the Orlando shooting, when she was wandering around looking for her son, and again when she spoke at the DNC.

One more eloquent voice for common sense gun legislation.

My heart goes out to her, I can’t fathom her loss and admire her bravery.

That is what a peace officer is supposed to be.

Another reason why we need Hillary. The fact that these mothers who have known — and still live with — tragedy recognize Hillary as a champion who will fight for them, that she reached out to them in a heartful, truthful way, speaks above the pathetic bratty whining and tantruming of the Bernouts and the Trumptrashtalkers.

10. janicen says:

Tim Kaine says Trump is right, Kaine was not a good Governor of New Jersey! 🙂

• Enheduanna says:

I was really wrong before about Kaine – he’s alright! Even great! Should’ve known Hillary would get it right.

I like that he gets serious in this article and mentions Mormons as an example for Trump’s ridiculous views on religious bans. They Do.Not.Like.Trump and that could easily give us Utah.

11. Enheduanna says:

oops – I typed They Do Not Like Trump with periods and lost it.

Charlie Pierce watched Obama’s speech surrounded by my Louisiana Delegation…

13. Ron4Hills says:

Carole King? Every page they turn has a new glorious surprise!

What a convention. Is it just me? I haven’t been a kid in a long time. I have beeen watching for years and paying attention. I do not remember a convention like this one every.

14. Fannie says:

Who was the first democratic president?

15. Ron4Hills says:

Get’em ladies. Look at them!

16. Ron4Hills says:

Sheila E? Well she’s no Chachi.

Just kidding. She still rocks.

17. MsMass says:

WOW, that Jennifer former Gov of Michigan is good!! A real barnburner!!