Live Blog: It’s Official!! Hillary Clinton has made Herstory!!

It’s official!  Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has become the first woman ever to win the presidential nomination of one of the two major parties.

13754674_10208220966415548_5528877670091677896_n

This is the Louisiana Delegation featuring Mayor Mitch Landrieu, former Senator Mary Landrieu, and State Senator Karen Carter Peterson

After the roll call completed  with the final votes caste by the state of Vermont, Senator Bernie Sanders rose to suspend the rules  to move that all votes cast be given to Secretary Clinton and that she be acclaimed the party’s nominee!!

Vermont ends it all: On behalf of Bernie Sanders, “who has changed the trajectory of this country in a way that will make the lives of working Americans better for generations to come,” a delegate said, “Vermont casts our votes: 22 votes for our beloved Senator Sanders and four for the next president, Hillary Clinton.” Then Sanders himself addressed the crowd: “I move that Hillary Clinton be selected as the nominee of the Democratic Party for president of the United States.”

Bill Clinton

Former President Bill Clinton applauds First Lady Michelle Obama as Eric Holder and Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland take their seats during the first day of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia , Monday, July 25, 2016. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe has followed the roll count with an inspirational talk on his personal relationship with the Clintons as well as speaking to his pride in his Virginia’s favorite son Tim Kain, the Vice presidential nominee. Here’s the Schedule for this evening’s speakers where the keynoter  will be former President and future First Gentleman Bill Clinton.

Starting at 10 p.m., the latest speakers will echo the day two theme, “A lifetime of fighting for children and families.” According to NJ Advance Media, the convention Tuesday night will hear from Philadelphia children’s advocate Thaddeus Desmond, a fifth-grade teacher in Arkansas named Dustin Parsons and a student who works at an academy for at-risk youth.

The Clinton campaign will also fold in its platform on gun control, with speakers like Anton Moore, who founded a youth group to talk about gun violence, and representatives from Mothers of the Movement, an organization of mothers who have lost children to gun deaths or police brutality.

Tuesday big-name politicians include Democratic National Committee vice chair of voter registration and participation Donna Brazile, former Georgia state Sen. Jason Carter and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.

Last but not least, Clinton’s husband Bill will headline the night, likely delivering a speech appealing to his ethos as former president to voice his enthusiastic support for his wife.

13731604_10153705659401828_1384299645474174841_n

CNN announces the moment via my friend Matt Harris from Georgia

Former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi–standing with all the Democratic Congresswomen –is discussing how Clinton will be shattering the “Marble” ceiling.  The theme of unleashing the power of women and helping our children is key to the program tonight because this is Hillary’s crusade. The theme is entitled  “A Lifetime of Fighting for Children and Families“. Each Congresswoman is speaking on the role of women in creating our great country.

Tuesday will feature the roll call vote and how Hillary has spent her entire career working to make a difference for children, families, and our country. The Mothers of the Movement participating include Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner; Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin; Maria Hamilton, mother of Dontré Hamilton; Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis; Lezley McSpadden, mother of Michael Brown; Cleopatra Pendleton-Cowley, mother of Hadiya Pendleton; Geneva Reed-Veal, mother of Sandra Bland.

Headlining speakers

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton
(This is an excerpt of a bio taken from the White House’s website.) Bill Clinton is an American politician from Arkansas who served as the 42nd President of the United States (1993-2001). He took office at the end of the Cold War, and was the first baby-boomer generation President.

Mothers of the Movement

You can find the names of the other speakers at the link .

Cameron Joseph provides the picture of when Senator Bernie Sanders moves to unify the party by asking the party to suspend the rules to acclaim Hillary Clinton the nominee.

CoU3t9FW8AAzFz9

Here’s my Friend Franklin live from the floor at the very moment it happened representing for Augusta!!!

Meanwhile!  Let’s Celebrate!!!

130 Comments on “Live Blog: It’s Official!! Hillary Clinton has made Herstory!!”

1. Jslat says:

HILL A REE!l

We’re up here with a new live blog to celebrate!!!

3. janicen says:

This was handled very well. No booing, everybody got a voice.

4. MsMass says:

Yay!!! We have come so far!!!

5. RalphB says:

Watching earlier on c-span and when she crossed 2382, I unexpectedly broke out in tears of joy. This has been a long time coming. One more race to go this year!

6. Fannie says:

I can’t stop crying. 4:38 Idaho time, and the great state of the Lakota Nation, of South Dakota put us over the top.

Damn, Bernie made a wreck of me. All that political pressure, and all the damn interferences from the media, from the republicans, and now we can applaud Hillary Clinton.

Let’s dance:

7. Pat Johnson says:

He was given the opportunity to go out with his head held high.

I thought at first reporting he had all of Vermont’s delegates vote for Hillary. Chump. At least he then acknowledged Hillary.

8. Pat Johnson says:

Just look at that stage full of accomplished and diverse women who represent us.

Beautiful!

• Fannie says:

Nothing like it Pat, when sisters help sisters, strong together. I don’t know where I would have been without you, Dak, BB, JJ, and all of my sky dancers. You carried me through, and I will stand with you to defeat Trump.

Nancy Pelosi looks like she has tears in her eyes. Am I imagining it?

10. ANonOMouse says:

And Congratulations to ALL SKYDANCERS who’ve waited, hoped and worked for this day.

11. Mary Brown says:

Soo happy! I cried when the Arizona 102-year-old cast the votes for Hillary. When she was born, women couldn’t vote. I also cried when Hillary’s childhood friend in Illinois cast the Clinton votes for that state; she was so choked up for “Hil” she couldn’t talk.

And wow – the Louisiana delegation was the most fun and happy! Can I be adopted? My WA state delegation was really lame, they were so busy keeping a muzzle on the baby anarchist booing bullies.

12. Jslat says:

It is great to hear all of the wonderful support for Hillary. Poor T-rump he had Chachi!

13. janicen says:

Hubby read that one of the convention organizers said that the reason the CA delegation was so rowdy is that they were seated in the very back and there was an open bar directly behind them. They were loaded. Explains why they are a little more subdued today.

14. Pat Johnson says:

I have turned into a puddle listening to the mother’s followed by the song “Rise”. I may not make through the rest of the evening.pp

15. Ron4Hills says:

Contrast the beauty and grace and strength and courage and and wisdom and integrity and love on display tonight , with that sh!t show they had in Cleveland.

I have gotten choked up just telling people at work what I have seen and heard.

I expected to be touched by this moment, but Hillary’s moment is proving to be more and better than I anticipated.

I do not know what the media will make of this tomorrow, but I am blown away. They will rtear it down because that is what they do, but I will not forget. They can’t take it away.

The ” Mother’s” is just one part of it.

I was stunned by Bernie calling for Hill’s nomination. Bernie ain’t perfect but he ain’t no Ted Cruz either.

I was stunned by Jimmy Carter. He has my favorite version of Jimmy Carter tonight.

I was stunned at the strong statement from Donna Brazile.

And the Big Dawg has even spoken yet.

16. Pat Johnson says:

I love Sherrod Brown!

17. Pat Johnson says:

Chris Matthews is an moron.

I put on MSNBC for a minute and Rachel was acting surprised about the mothers who have been traveling around supporting Hillary for months. She didn’t even given Hillary credit for reaching out to them, just talked about “the Democrats” inviting them.

• Ron4Hills says:

Rachel baffles me. What keeps her eyes so firmly closed?

• Pat Johnson says:

Because Bill did not fully support gay rights when he signed DOMA. She also pushed for Bernie.

Rachel can’t tell the difference between Bill and Hillary? Come on, Congress pretty much tied Bill Clinton’s hands back then. And Sanders wasn’t doing anything to help back then.

18. Jslat says:

The contrast with the repubs convention is stunning! The real stars out for Hillary. The pillars of the Dem party stand with her overwhelmingly. The heart on display, the love on display.

HILL A REE! HILL A REE! HILL A REE!

It’s hard to believe this is only the second night. The GOP convention was so shallow, and this has been the opposite.

• ANonOMouse says:

Tonight was a great night. Aren’t you glad you watched? And you’re right BB, this convention has been a convention of substance and it’s only going to get better.

19. Pat Johnson says:

Meryl Streep is speaking tonight.

20. Boo Radly says:

Awesome event – does anyone know when Bill Clinton actually will speak? I have to watch on MSM because C-span doesn’t provide CC’s and those MSM pundits are giving mea headache.

21. Ron4Hills says:

They are killing me.

Heroes, one after he other, to praise a hero.

Hills has been doing the same thing for her whole life.

Nothing like the false image created by the media.

22. janicen says:

Laura Manning is inspiring.

23. Ron4Hills says:

Chelsea! Are she and Ivanka still friends?

24. janicen says:

Howard Dean’s finish was hilarious!

25. Pat Johnson says:

THE BIG DOG IS NEXT!

26. Jslat says:

The future First Gentleman is up next!

27. Pat Johnson says:

Hillary is exceptional in every way.!

28. Pat Johnson says:

The Big Dog has the audience eating out of his hand.

29. Jslat says:

The real one!

30. Jslat says:

Meryl!!!

Okay I’ve totally lost it now. Between the film and now Alicia … Those pics of all those suffragettes … Never thought I’d see the day.

31. Ron4Hills says:

Still the best. He is the natural.

They talk so much about “humanizing” Fluffy-Doo, but they never quite did it.

Bill Clinton absolutely made Hills relatable to anyone who ever started a family and worked their way up from very little.

He is the bet ever.

32. Fannie says:

Bill, was being so honest, about the loves in his life. I loved his story and could relate so well, since we were married about the same time, and had children just about the same time too. I really teared up hearing that he was orphaned when he was born, and when Hillary gave him a daughter, he made sure he was there, rushing her to the hospital.

I really liked his remarks about her life work which resulted in her being the real change maker. It was really great, as much as he loves his family, to know that she will be rewarded for all that work, and devotion, and that we will accept her as the next President, tomorrow, seems like that day can’t come soon enough. Building 2016, turn all that fear, all that hate from the republicans, into LOVE.

33. janicen says:

I would have commented while Bill spoke but I was mesmerized by his speech. Well it wasn’t really a speech because he wasn’t reading it, he just had a chat with us. OMG that was compelling. That “real one/cartoon” was brilliant. We are so lucky to be alive to see this.

FYI, Alicia Keys is not wearing a drop of make up during this performance.

Every speaker has talked about his or her connection to Hillary. In Cleveland, no one even wanted to say Donald Trump’s name.

• Jslat says:

That real one/cartoon was so right! I agree we are lucky to be alive to experience this. (We Janice’s agree😉)

• Pat Johnson says:

She is absolutely stunning with or without makeup.

34. janicen says:

GIRL ON FIRE!

35. Boo Radly says:

This has been such a wonderful joyful evening! Howard Dean was a scream! Bill was terrific. The world does not seem as frighten; sane leaders do still exist!

36. Jslat says:

Hillary on fire!

Wow.

38. Jslat says:

How am I going to get to sleep tonight after all of this fantastic excitement?

39. Fannie says:

Last words for tonight: The republicans ought to be real scared, they are about to lose everything.

• Jslat says:

Be prepared..they are going to get uglier . They will be vicious

Boo-effin’-hoo to the Rethugs. They can go eat their own hate. The real America wants toughness with love and compassion!

The glass ceiling shattering had me teary-eyed.

40. William says:

Just an amazingly great speech by Bill Clinton. The absolute thing that Hillary’s campaign needed; and I can only hope that tens of millions of people got to see.it. The real version of Hillary he knows, versus the ridiculously caricatured version that the right wing has purveyed and the media has enabled, for 25 years,

Send Bill Clinton to the Rust Belt, and he will tell people how Hillary and he will help the White middle class, and we will win the election.

41. Sweet Sue says:

I think that Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons said it best: “Oh What A Night!”

I tried MSNBC again. Rachel is talking on and on about the Clinton’s marriage problems. I’m just done with them.

• Jslat says:

CNN is actually a bit more positive.

• janicen says:

Yes. Rachel launched into criticism as soon as the speech ended and I switched to CNN. I’m so glad I did. They are swooning over Big Dawg.

• ANonOMouse says:

I thought Bill’s speech was perfect and powerful. I don’t know what Rachel’s bitch was about, except it seems she didn’t think it was feminist enough, but I thought it was pitch perfect. His recollections were about an earlier time when relationships began a bit differently than they do today and I think the speech was directed more at men than women because it was told totally from his perspective as a young man and progressed through his presidency to today. I thought he did a spectacular job.

Reid said she thought it was a pitch to white married women.

• janicen says:

I agree, it was one for the ages. We will never see the likes of him again. I caught two seconds of her saying she was uncomfortable with him calling her a “girl”, but it was so ridiculous that I had to change the channel. What a stupid point to make. Conversely, on CNN, Dana Bash was saying she thought it was charming and it humanized her.

There are a hell of a lot of white married women who don’t need a pitch. They are already rock-solid behind Hillary!

• Ron4Hills says:

Here’s the thing, the cartoon that they try to create is that Hills is some kind of bloodless robot.

The reason she is so GOOD is because she is not human.

Bill blew that out of the water tonight. He said, “She ain’t no robot, she’s my Boo!”

He said that smart and strong and determined is SEXY!

I want so much to like Rachel Maddow, but she is killing me!

Hillary Clinton has been kicking as on behalf of the weak, and facing down bullies her whole life.

The haters who have stood in her way all these years have tried to dehumanize her.

Tonight Bill started the speech talking about the flesh and blood woman that he fell in love with.

We have already heard about the GIANT of American politics.

43. Jslat says:

G’nite. Time to walk the dogs and try to get some sleep. What a great night… can’t wait for tomorrow!

44. Mary Brown says:

It’s been a really great night! Better than I hoped; after yesterday I really worried, but they have really hit it out of the park. After the RNC being so cringe-worthy…

45. Ron4Hills says:

Morning Joke is fighting the urge to gush and losing.