Lazy Saturday Reads

Claude_Monet_-_The_Magpie_-_Google_Art_Project

Good Morning!!

WordPress is forcing me to use a new format for writing posts, and I’m pretty clueless about how to use it. For one thing, I don’t know how to insert captions under pictures. I also can’t figure out how to change the size of the images or put them on the right or left side of the post. The images in this post are winter paintings by Claude Monet. The one above is called The Magpie.

Before I get started on today’s news, I want to call attention to the Democratic debate that will be held tomorrow night at 9PM on NBC. Some information from USA Today:

Hillary Clinton,Bernie SandersandMartin O’Malleywill meet for the fourth time — and it’s their final face-off before theIowa caucusesandNew Hampshire primary. For O’Malley, a spot on the stage was no sure thing thanks to lagging poll numbers, butNBC announced Thursday that he made the cut….

The debate starts at 9 p.m. ET. It’ll air on NBC and will be live-streamed on the network’s digital platforms as well as on the NBC News YouTube channel. (If you’ve got exciting Sunday night plans, you can catch a re-airing of the debate on MSNBC at 11 p.m. ET.) ….

The debate, hosted by the Congressional Black Caucus Institute, will be held at the Gaillard Center in Charleston, S.C….

Moderators are NBC Nightly News anchor Lester Holt and the network’s chief foreign affairs correspondent, Andrea Mitchell.

Winter on the Seine, Lavacourt

Winter on the Seine, Lavacourt

Is it just me, or does Hillary Clinton get far less media coverage than any of the other candidates in either party? It seems to me that Bernie Sanders gets much more press than Hillary and when the corporate media does cover about Hillary, the stories are mostly negative. I hope that’s just because I’m so sensitive to the way the media portrays her.

On Google news today, Bernie Sanders is number three under “Top Stories.”under Hillary Clinton is not listed. When I search for Hillary Clinton, I get this. Let me know if you find any positive stories there. Mostly what I see is articles about how Bernie is beating Hillary in Iowa and New Hampshire and other negative headlines.

Hillary has to fight against the media as well as the Republican candidates, Bernie Sanders, and Republican super pacs. I’m beginning to wonder if she can overcome this much negativity.

The New York Times has published two lengthy and positive articles on Bernie Sanders’ campaign organization and ground game recently:

Jan. 3: Bernie Sanders, Needing Early Lift, Builds Iowa Ground Operation.

Jan. 15: Looking at Later Primaries, Bernie Sanders Works to Strengthen Black Support.

The only article I can find about Hillary’s ground game is an article at the Wall Street Journal on Jan. 5 with a negative spin in the headline: Hillary Clinton Counts On Ground Game in Iowa. Democratic presidential front-runner tries mightily to avoid an early loss in caucuses this time around. The story itself focuses on what happened in 2008 and on Bernie Sanders’ ground operation!

The Road in Vetheuil in Winter

The Road in Vetheuil in Winter

Did you know that Hillary appeared on MSNBC’s Morning Joe yesterday? There was little media coverage of her appearance, but a few people took something Hillary said and twisted it into an “attack” on Bernie Sanders’ grandchildren!

Paste Magazine: Did Hillary Clinton Just Take A Strange Shot at Bernie Sanders Over His Grandchildren?

Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton’s biggest challenger in the Democratic presidential primary, has one son. His name is Levi, and he hasthree adopted grandchildren from China. When Sanders married his second wife, Jane, she had three children of their own, and those children now have four children of their own. Sanders considers all seven his grandchildren, as anyone would, even though he’s not related to them by blood.

Clinton, conversely, has one daughter, Chelsea, and Chelsea has a baby daughter named Charlotte.

…Hillary Clinton appeared on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” to discuss her differences with “other candidates” in the field. Until very recently, she took pains not to mention Bernie Sanders’ name in her campaign, and to avoid directly engaging him in debates, and in this video she doesn’t mention anybody by name. However, when Mika Brzezinski asks her about her core message, there’s no mistaking the shade she throws:

For me this really is pretty straightforward. I don’t promise easy answers. I don’t promise things that I’m not…knowing can be delivered.”One of Clinton’s chief tactics in combatting Sanders has been the assertion that some of his proposals are pie-in-the-sky, and despite the idealism he may be inspiring, especially in young people, she’s the pragmatic candidate who can actually get things done.

The issue comes in the next part of her statement, mere seconds later (1:45 mark above):

And I guess at the end of the day, for me—you know, people talk about their extraordinary grandchildren, but I actually have one—and we’re going to do everything we can to give her opportunities…Whoa! My first reaction, hearing that, was “this can’t be what she meant…nobody can be that clueless.”

There was also a recommended (!) diary on this at DailyKos, which has descended into a hotbed of Hillary hate and Bernie worship that threatens to outdo what happened there in 2008. I can’t find the link to it right now, but here is a response:

Clinton Did Not Diss Sanders’ Grandkids.

There is a silly diary on the rec list right now calling out Hillary Clinton for… well… saying that her granddaughter is extraordinary. (Apparently Sanders has trademarked that word. Who knew?)

The diary uses an edited clip from the Morning Joe interview to capture Clinton saying:

I guess at the end of the day, for me… you know, people talk about their extraordinary grandchildren, but I actually have one. And we’re going to do everything we can to give her opportunities. But it’s not enough…

She actually has one. She doesn’t mention Bernie Sanders. But what is she getting at here? Why did she bring up her grandkid at all in response to the question “What is the message of your campaign?” That doesn’t seem like much of a message.

But wait, there was more (a lot more) to her statement. And here’s what Clinton said after the ellipses (in the part edited out by whoever made the video).

And I think too many people are forgetting what are some of the biggest determinants as to what happens to your children and grandchildren. The first being what kind of country we are and whether we’re still providing the opportunities to realize your promise and potential and what kind of world’s going to be out there waiting.

And I feel passionately that just because we had it in the past, doesn’t mean we’re going to keep it in the future. You shouldn’t have to be the granddaughter of a former president to have your American Dream realized. I think every kid should have a chance to live up to her god-given potential.

She says this stuff all the time. The idea that somehow now she’s taking a shot at Sanders grandchildren because she used the word “extraordinary” to describe her grandchild… smh.

Sigh . . .

The Tow Path at Argenteuil, Winter

The Tow Path at Argenteuil, Winter

On to other news.

I wonder how the Republicans will put a negative spin on this story.

Huffington Post: Iran Releases 4 American Prisoners After Months Of Top Secret Negotiations.

VIENNA, Austria — Four American citizens, including a Washington Post reporter, who have been imprisoned in Iran are set to board a Swiss aircraft Saturday from Tehran to an undetermined location, where they will be freed as part of a prisoner release deal between the U.S. and Iran. The agreement is the result of long-running, high-stakes secret negotiations between the two traditional adversaries.

“Our citizens have not yet been flown out of Iran, so we don’t want to do anything that could complicate it,” a senior administration official said Saturday. “But we are told the deal is done, that they will be let out.”

As part of the exchange, the U.S. will release seven Iranians who were being held in the country on sanctions violations. All were born in Iran, but six are dual Iranian-American citizens. The seven men all have the option to remain in the U.S.

The deal will bring home four Americans who have been imprisoned in Iran for years on trumped up charges, or in some cases no charges at all: Washington Post Tehran correspondent Jason Rezaian, former U.S. Marine Amir Hekmati, Christian pastor Saeed Abedini, and Nosratollah Khosrawi-Roodsari. The imprisonment of Khosrawi-Roodsari has never been previously reported.

Read more at the link.

View of Argenteuil Snow

View of Argenteuil Snow

We haven’t talked much about the “militia” nuts in Oregon lately. Here are some recent updates.

Mashable: Oregon militia has 4,000 artifacts in the building they’re occupying.

Thousands of archaeological artifacts — and maps detailing where more can be found — are kept inside the national wildlife refuge buildings currently being held by an armed group of protestors angry over federal land policy.

Ryan Bundy, one of the leaders of the group occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in southeastern Oregon, says they have no real interest in the antiquities. Still, their access to the artifacts and maps has some worried that looters could take advantage of the situation.

“There’s a huge market for artifacts, especially artifacts that have provenance, where you can identify where they came from,” said Carla Burnside, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s refuge archeologist.

More than 300 recorded prehistoric sites are scattered across the refuge, including burial grounds, ancient villages and petroglyphs. Some of the artifacts — including spears, stone tools, woven baskets and beads — date back 9,800 years.

About 7,000 artifacts and samples from the refuge are kept at a museum in Eugene, Oregon. But 4,000 more are kept at the refuge for research.

Only Burnside has a key to the room containing the artifacts and the maps. She’s since seen pictures of the occupiers in her office, adjacent to the room where the artifacts are stored. The group has been looking through government files at the site, but it is unclear if they’ve gone through the room with the artifacts.

Authorities have finally arrested one of the idiots. The Guardian reports: Oregon militia standoff: man arrested driving stolen government vehicle

The standoff with armed militia in Oregon escalated on Friday after police swooped in on one of the protesters to make the first arrest in connection with the two-week occupation of a federal wildlife refuge.

Kenneth Medenbach, who was arrested for unauthorized use of a government vehicle, is a chainsaw sculptor and longtime nemesis of the government with a history of previous entanglements with the courts over the occupation of federal lands.

He is the first militiaman connected to the armed occupation to be arrested since the bird sanctuary in rural Oregon was unexpectedly taken over on 2 January.

Medenbach, 62, was detained outside a Safeway supermarket in Burns, Oregon, some 30 miles from the Malheur national wildlife refuge, according to a statement from the Harney County sheriff’s office.

Skaters in Giverny

Skaters in Giverny

What stories are you following today?

47 Comments on “Lazy Saturday Reads”

My quotes from articles didn’t indent. They were OK in my draft. Sorry I don’t know how to fix them. Maybe JJ or Dak can help me if they show up.

I’m going to try to post more images, don’t know if it will work.

I’m feeling a little desperate right now . . .

I got some help from Dak. I hope this thing is readable now.

• Fannie says:

Thanks BB, glad you got this up and running. I’ll be making a donation mid week. Had a fuse blow in the dryer, cost me $259 for a guy to come out and replace it.

I can’t believe anyone would be so damn negative as to say Hillary is dissing children. She’s spent her life fighting for children’s rights. She is the one who greets all the kids on the campaign trail.

Also, I see Cruz is out saying his prayers is what freed the prisoners, and see republicans saying Obama didn’t consult with them, as they are concerned more about that matter, than there freedom. Trump’s out putting dollar amounts on their release and freedom.

Why I Don’t “Feel the Bern”
    One Liberal Iowan’s Case for Hillary Clinton

View at Medium.com

3. Willow says:

I hate the new improved software. Sadly it happens even with the iPhone. You just get used to one way of doing something then you have to learn the “new improved” version. 😦

4. List of X says:

I would think that Republicans could spin the release of Iranian hostages by either blaming Obama for not bombing Iran in response, or taking months to release them, or entering secret negotiations with a terrorist regime, or releasing several extremely dangerous Iranian criminals into the US.
    But i think it will be all of the above.

5. roofingbird says:

I haven’t posted for while, so you have thrilled me with the idea of a new WordPress future.

Re: Bundy and the artifacts; it made me really nervous, to hear Ammon mention in a recent video, that they were cleaning up around there because it was a mess. His comment came shortly before that video that the pic of the bulldozed road showed up. Really, how messy is an occupied ranger station going to be?

6. ANonOMouse says:

BB…..I commented to you on yesterdays post and asked if you’d seen Rachel Maddow’s interview of Hillary the night of the GOP debate. Rachel is nothing more that a Bernie shill. She basically called Hillary out for questioning Bernie’s position on the Affordable Care Act. She accused Hillary of demeaning Bernie. She said Hillary campaign had their “hair on fire”. She was professional and attempted to hide her contempt for Hillary, but she did a very poor job. She even said that Bernie was liked and respected by everyone in the U.S. Congress, it was a total setup to take a slap at Hillary. I fired off an email to Rachel, that I’m certain burned down her email inbox. I also emailed the Hillary campaign and expressed my frustration with not seeing Hillary more in public. Bernie is on MSNBC, CNN and basically owns Sirius. Thom Hartmann being the primary Bernie cheerleader even going so far as to compare Bernie to FDR. What a total Bernie shill. I’m beginning to wonder if we’re seeing a coalition of the same invisible forces that undermined Hillary in 2008, working together in 2016.

Hillary has been on the morning shows fairly often, but her appearances are pretty much ignored in the media unless there is something they can spin negatively.

• Fannie says:

That’s right, there was article post here about the Sunday Shows, and Hillary has been left out.

Rachel has always hated Hillary, and she does nothing to help her, and neither is the media, and forget it if you think I am going watch snot in morning.

I stopped watching Tom, and getting pretty damn tired of it all. I read about Bernie’s logo problems. Got to thinking Hillary sends her lawyers after those who are suppressing the vote in Ohio, and Bernie sends his after a free information site.

• joanelle says:

Maddow ran a most aggressive campaign against Hill and for Obama in 2008 and now the boys must be thrilled to see Carly’s aggressive attacks on Hill

I have stopped watching MSNBC, so I didn’t watch Maddow’s interview. I’ll take your word for what happened. I’m not going to watch it.

• ANonOMouse says:

I watched it only because Hillary was on and I was curious as to how Rachel would treat her. Rachel was acting as if it was a big interview coup for her, but she spent most of the interview attempting to paint Hillary as attacking Bernie and Bernie as innocent of anything devious or underhanded. Rachel has lost all credibility, again! I should have learned my lesson in 2007/2008

• ANonOMouse says:

The 2 latest Iowa polls

DM Register/Bloomberg Clinton 42, Sanders 40, O’Malley 4

Gravis Clinton 57, Sanders 36, O’Malley 7

538 blog also has gives Hillary a 66% chance in Iowa, Bernie 34%
          Hillary a 57% chance of winning NH, Bernie a 43% chance

I’m going with the 538 blog so that I can sleep better at night.

• ANonOMouse says:

Update to the 538 blog, as of yesterday evening they increased Hillary’s chances of winning Iowa. Hillary 82% Bernie 18%.

Again, my impression is the MSM is trying their best to make a contest out of this. If Hillary can get over this hump, I think there will be smooth sailing from there on.

As for Rachel Maddow, she can GO TO HELL!!!

FiveThirtyEight keeps me from jumping off the ledge.

• The latest from FiveThirtyEight is keeping me from a padded cell myself.

• ANonOMouse says:

The only thing any of us can do is support her campaign and vote. We can’t stop the hateful rhetoric from the bernie campaign and from his supporters. We can’t stop the MSM from negative reporting, or giving bernie too much credit and too much air time. We can’t stop the MSM from trying to make a race out of this so that they have a story to tell. All we can do is work to get people to the polls, to spread her message and to defend her against false attacks.The only control we have is our own vote. I am confident that Hillary will give it the best shot she has. That’s all I ask of her and her campaign. This is a crazy ass country we live in and we’re all accustomed to expecting the unexpected. In the end whatever happens, happens. Life will go on regardless. And FWIW….I’m getting old, I’ve already decided that if Hillary doesn’t win the nomination, that this will be the last Primary and Presidential election, or election of any other kind where I cast a vote. I’ve done my part.

• Riverbird says:

This campaign is bringing back bad memories of late 2007 and 2008. My acquaintances and friends who were Obots back then are all for Bernie now. I’m amazed at them because they soon became disenchanted with Obama after his election and yet they’re still naive enough to think Bernie can magically make their dreams come true. Shaking my head.

• ANonOMouse says:

Bernie can’t deliver on his promises and he knows it. People who are enthralled with Bernie are naive, stupid or don’t want a woman POTUS elected. I’m inclined to think that for most of them it’s total rejection of a woman POTUS. I’ve noticed around the internet that the most hateful Bernie supporters talk about Hillary like she’s a dog and most of them are also men. It just doesn’t make sense that a lifelong Democrat would vote for a man who’s never spent a seconds worth of political capital working to elect other Democrats or paying his dues as a Democrat.

Here’s another response to the stupid claim that Hillary attacked Bernie’s grandchildren. It’s pretty funny too.

I For One Am Disappointed By All The Candidates’ Grandchildren.

• Fannie says:

Hillary has worked for families, and day care, and has always pointed to improving child care centers in all communities, and on the college campus, and work place. And we are talking about for all children, including those disabled.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

I watched Michael Bay’s Benghazi Movie at Cowboys Stadium with 30,000 pissed-off patriots.

10. roofingbird says:

LIfe is much better when you don’t Dowd.

11. Riverbird says:

Apologies if this link has been posted here. I searched and didn’t see it.

Sam Wang posted this on twitter and Facebook. It’s the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time.

Bernie has flip flopped on guns.

CNN: Bernie Sanders backs away from 2005 gun vote

• ANonOMouse says:

Well, you understand that when Bernie flip-flops it’s not a flip-flop, it’s a informed change of mind. I watched Jake Tapper interview Hillary & Bernie this morning. Tapper’s tone with Hillary, even his facial expressions during the interview ,where entirely different with Hillary than with Bernie. His tone with Hillary was accusatory, his tone with Bernie was exonerating. With Hillary his facial expressions were mostly frowning, somber, with Bernie they were softer and more inviting. It’s unbelievable. These folks just cannot hide their Hillary hatred.

• Fannie says:

I watched Tapper this morning too. Agreed with your opinions. Noticed how he approached Chelsea Clinton on the campaign trail, and the Bernie camp calling Chelsea a HACK. Hillary Clinton was very clear, I love my daughter, and she answered the question that was asked of her. To the point, Bernie has not told us what his specific plans are.

Then Tapper asked if she was going to watch the Benhazie movie? Get ready for another very clear response: You know I am real busy running a campaign, and I don’t have time for movies.

Sanders comes on, and yes Tapper says what about Chelsea the Hack. And he responds, I am sure she loves her daughter, excuse me? He then said, I’ve known Hillary for 25 years, and yes I am going to share my plans, and real soon, before the day is out, he said.

Then comes Trump, and all he had to say was he’s holding on to all the “anger” in this country. That’s all he has, anger, ever since the black man was elected into office.