Live Blog South Carolina Republican Debate(s): Going South and then some

images (6)Good Evening!

The main stage debate of the Republican party Presidential wannabes will showcase seven candidates.  Four candidates were sent to the kiddie table but Rand Paul has decided to stay home since this time he couldn’t whine himself out of his basement level poll numbers . The main debates starts at 9 pm eastern.  It’s on the Fox Business News Network so be prepared to hunt for it or to stream it.   (EWWWWWWWWWW)

Seven Republican candidates are set to clash in the sixth GOP presidential debate Thursday night, hosted by FOX Business in Charleston, SC. The debate, slated to begin at 9pm ET, will feature Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush and John Kasich.

Another four candidates who did not meet the network’s public polling requirements qualified for an undercard debate at 6pm ET: Rand Paul, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum. But Paul has announced that he will boycott the event, accusing the network and the RNC of picking winners and losers in the GOP field.

Fiorina already said something completely objectionable in the currently running kiddie debate.

Unlike another woman in this race, I WAS actually spending time with my husband.”

Newsweek is live blogging both the debates here and she’s a mean one, Ms. Grinch.

“Unlike another woman in this race, I actually like spending time with my husband.” Thus did former Hewlett-Packard Chief Executive Carly Fiorina open the sixth Republican primary debate in Charleston, South Carolina, on Thursday. It was a barb aimed squarely at Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton, whom pundits and analysts expect to be a popular topic of discussion throughout the evening. Fiorina also criticized Clinton’s response to the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead—an event recently immortalized in a factually dubious film directed by Michael Bay, of Transformers fame.

“We should stop letting refugees into this country,” Fiorina continued. A similar proposal to refuse refugees, floated by Republican frontrunner Donald Trump, earned him a bump in the polls, but has garnered widespread criticism from the political class.

As the night went on, Fiorina did not let up on Clinton. “Mrs. Clinton, you cannot wipe a server with a towel,” she said, referring to the Democratic candidate’s ongoing private email server scandal.

South Carolina is looking to play an important role in the elections so how the candidates position themselves will be significant.  

As this state prepared to host GOP primary debates on Thursday and next month, many Republicans are rooting for South Carolina to reclaim its kingmaker role in 2016.

Polls currently show celebrity businessman Donald Trump with a commanding lead, followed by Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. But voters here are widely considered up for grabs, likely to be influenced by earlier contests in Iowa and New Hampshire and the unpredictable 11 days of the campaign after those votes and before the Feb. 20 GOP primary.

Candidates who are struggling in Iowa—such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, whose father and brother won victories in South Carolina that helped them clinch the nomination—are jockeying for better-than-expected showings in New Hampshire, hopefully followed by a strong finish in South Carolina.

“It’s a chance to reset the race,” said South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, who quit running for president last month and has questioned Mr. Trump’s ability to build a winning national coalition in the general election. “My goal for South Carolina Republicans is get back to our roots. Let’s pick a conservative who can actually win the race because winning matters.”

South Carolina Republicans say they have had better luck picking candidates who end up winning the GOP nomination because the electorate is broader and more representative of the country than in the smaller states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

There are evangelical Christians in the northwestern part of the state near Bob Jones University in Greenville; affluent, more moderate professionals and retirees around the capital in Columbia and along the Atlantic coast in Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach, and foreign policy hawks concentrated around the military bases in the central and southern parts of the state.

“South Carolina is a test for every facet of a campaign,” Mr. Moore said. “It’s not just about organization. It’s not just about message. It’s about winning a state with a broad and diverse electorate, so really it’s a test if you can win beyond South Carolina.”

In particular, South Carolina looks like a gateway to a potentially pivotal cluster of nearby southern states that will vote on March 1.

So, pull up a seat and join us for a lively discussion!!


160 Comments on “Live Blog South Carolina Republican Debate(s): Going South and then some”

  1. Pat Johnson says:

    I watched Carly Fiorina and can say for certain she is one miserable human being. With an approval rate of 3 percent you would expect her to come to the realization that she is going nowhere in this race. Yet she hangs on.

    Santorum did a lot of yelling and Huckabee x was flinging the poo as usual.

  2. Sweet Sue says:

    Hey Gals and a few Guys,
    Does anyone else think when Ted Cruz talks about Trump’s “New York values” it’s dog whistle for Jews as in “Jews who run the Media?”

  3. Fannie says:

    You can count on it.

  4. bostonboomer says:

    Here’s the latest data on Iowa from FiveThirtyEight:

    The new Des Moines Register poll conducted by Ann Selzer is now out on the Democratic side, and like the results for the Republicans released yesterday, it really doesn’t change our perception of the race. In the poll, Hillary Clinton is slightly ahead of Bernie Sanders, 42 percent to 40 percent, while Martin O’Malley brings up the rear at 4 percent.

    The FiveThirtyEight’s polls-only forecast continues to suggest that Iowa leans Clinton’s way. She’s still at a 66 percent chance to win, as she was last night, while Sanders retains a 34 percent chance. Clinton continues to lead in the model not only because the Selzer poll has her ahead, but also because Selzer’s polls have had a fairly significant house effect. That is, they have tended to produce better results for Sanders and worse results for Clinton than the average poll. The model takes that into account — if a pro-bernie poll is showing Clinton ahead, the model thinks she must really be ahead.

    In the FiveThirtyEight polls-plus forecast, Clinton maintains a larger advantage. She’s at an 82 percent chance to win, while Sanders is at 18 percent. Clinton is in a better position in this forecast because of the many endorsements she’s earned. Moreover, Sanders didn’t really rise from the 39 percent he earned in the last Selzer poll, rather, Clinton dropped from 48 percent. Support from within her party’s infrastructure may help push newly undecided voters back into her column.

  5. Fannie says:

    Thanks Dak for doing live blog tonight!

  6. roofingbird says:

    You folks watching?

  7. roofingbird says:

    So, I just got on for Cruz. He is trying to be calm and resolute.

  8. roofingbird says:

    Kasich-simple formula freeze regulations and tax cuts for corps and few for peeps.

  9. roofingbird says:

    Aren’t we really beyond this mantra?

  10. Fannie says:

    Wow, Neil got the date wrong, it was a year before Obama took office, and Kascich was on the Lehman Brothers Board when it happened.

  11. roofingbird says:

    Sailors forced to appologise. Christie- military action when should it be used, strengthen alliances around the world. Talk to adversaries limits for patience. Wow, what an idiotic stance no third term for Obama.

  12. bostonboomer says:

    Has Ted Cruz ever answered a question as asked?

  13. Fannie says:

    So Christie would you have used military force? He will not answer, his only answer is the world on fire, and don’t let Hillary in the white house for 3rd time.

  14. roofingbird says:

    JEB! Red lines, yeah, lets talk about the red lines for women not your garbage.

    • bostonboomer says:

      We’re not better than when Obama was inaugurated? When he was inaugurated, the economy had collapsed as a result of Jeb Bush’s brother’s policies.

    • roofingbird says:

      I thought he was referring to the military lines, like the chemical warfare, Syria said they wouldn’t use then did, and Obama didn’t go in, after he said he would. I meant that recent article where the welfare of women and children are not considered part of a red line.

  15. roofingbird says:

    WTF Terrorism is on the run?

  16. Fannie says:

    Think about it, Bush just said that we are worst off than when his brother left office!

  17. bostonboomer says:

    Dodd Frank? That’s foreign policy and Hillary’s fault?

  18. Riverbird says:

    I thought I could watch more than 15 minutes, but nope. I turned it off as J.E.B. was lying about Hillary being under investigation by the FBI.

  19. Fannie says:

    Whoa, Hillary is disqualified from being president!

  20. bostonboomer says:

    Marco Rubio needs a drink of water. Calm down, Marco.

  21. roofingbird says:

    Whats his name, says Obama doesn’t understand ISIS. Apparently he thinks Guantanamo should be immortalized.

  22. bostonboomer says:

    Carson is a boob.

    Obama doesn’t understand we live in the 21st century? Someone got him to memorize a bunch of gibberish and conspiracy theories.

  23. roofingbird says:

    Carson makes a joke about being woken, is that an in doctor joke? Existential threat can be won if Carson helps our military.

  24. roofingbird says:

    Trump I’m real, war is real threats are real immigration are real, hoards of men are COMING!

  25. Fannie says:

    What a fuckin’ liar, Trump, the refugees, the lines I have seen are all men, strong, young men, not women, not children.

    • roofingbird says:

      He is playing to the German attack of 100 women, by a reported 1000 men. Also reports indicating in Germany that a larger percentage of men have in fact traveled as refugees and what that means socially.

  26. roofingbird says:

    Cruz is explaining his loans and made a paperwork error, Lol.

  27. Fannie says:

    I’m sorry that fucker, Cruz is blaming it all on the NEW YORK TIMES.

  28. Fannie says:

    You know I have borrow some money a time or two, or three. On that disclosure above the signature, I recall a clause regarding a penalty of perjury. And his wife is CEO of the bank? Come on brother, you can do better than feed us that shit.

  29. Pat Johnson says:

    I loathe all of these people!p

  30. Pat Johnson says:

    Cruz is an idiot.

  31. Pat Johnson says:

    Here we go with the treatment polls.

  32. Pat Johnson says:

    FREAKEN POLLS

  33. bostonboomer says:

    Wow, Trump is nuts. Democrats are going to file suit against Trump. Give me a break.

  34. bostonboomer says:

    I don’t know how much of this I can stomach.

  35. roofingbird says:

    Trump, Cruz, battle it out over Cruz’s citizenship and turn it into a reality show brawl.

  36. Pat Johnson says:

    Let them go after one another and let the insanity flow.

  37. bostonboomer says:

    Rubio says Obama doesn’t believe in the Constitution or the free enterprise system. What a moron.

  38. roofingbird says:

    Whathisname needs move gravitas and less fast talk.

  39. roofingbird says:

    Here is to incompetent people!

  40. Fannie says:

    Mr. Trump, our country as made YOU a very big billionaire!

  41. bostonboomer says:

    Chris Christie wrote a check to Planned Parenthood!! Horrors!

  42. Fannie says:

    And while I am talking, no one on this stage is a socialist, and secondly no one is under investigations, looking Christie square in the face. Hahahaha.

  43. Pat Johnson says:

    I am trying to figure out who is lying the most. Tough call.

  44. Pat Johnson says:

    NJI s in free fall under Christie.

  45. roofingbird says:

    Carson, can’t we all get along? If we lose the judges will be liberal.

  46. roofingbird says:

    Kasich- retrain 50 year olds. Yeah we wimmins need that, or we could pass the ERA, and fair wages.

  47. Fannie says:

    Your’re 51 years old, have lost your job, and you have no where to go? Yeah, ashol, because he doesn’t a UNION to back him up anymore. That’s why we don’t have the American Dream anymore.

  48. Fannie says:

    Here we go, Bill Clinton’s affairs.

  49. roofingbird says:

    Clinton’s a dick, HRC is an enabler. Carson, do we have standard and principles anymore? actually he almost sounds rational like he looking to build consensus. Scary.

  50. Pat Johnson says:

    There is not one – NOT ONE – up on that stage who is even remotely qualified, or appears presidential.

    • I’m actually glad that I can’t watch this shit. My mom had an accident while driving Bebe’s car this evening. Ma is bruised up a bit around the knees and they are swollen. Dealing with all this stuff now. Yuk.

      • dakinikat says:

        Oh I’m sorry … It’s liarpalooza!

      • roofingbird says:

        Your Mom, gonna be ok? Car damage can be a pain. A couple of years ago we parked our RV, Hubby’s company truck and my old Talon in a row on the street, cause we were using our parking area. That night around 11, a drunk made it around the corner of our 25 mph street and managed to speed up in 200 feet enough to smash into the back of the Talon, totaling it and pushing it into the full sized newer truck, almost totaling that, pushing the truck into the RV, damaging the bumper. The driver was drunk but fine and amazingly, had insurance. I had fixed up the Talon for my granddaughter but that was gone. Can’t do anything but laugh, even though it changes your driving parameters.

  51. Pat Johnson says:

    ANSWER THE GODDAMNED QUESTION!!

  52. Fannie says:

    We’ll be right back to see how this debate is going:

  53. roofingbird says:

    Guns In Florida you make money shipping guns to CA.

  54. bostonboomer says:

    Bush: If you commit a gun crime in Florida, you’re going away.

    Really? Like George Zimmerman?

  55. Pat Johnson says:

    These people lack even a modicum of commonsense.

  56. bostonboomer says:

    From FiveThirtyEight’s live blog:

    HARRY ENTEN 9:53 PM
    We’ve heard a lot from Bernie Sanders citing general election polls to prove he’s electable. I don’t put much faith in general election polls at this point because they haven’t proven to be predictive. Indeed, John Kasich’s response on facing Sanders shows Republicans are champing at the bit to face Sanders because of his support of democratic socialism. Why? Gallup polling has shown that only 47 percent of Americans are even willing to vote for a socialist. That’s below the percentage willing to vote for a Catholic, woman, African-American, Hispanic, Jew, Mormon, gay or lesbian, evangelical Christian and Muslim.

  57. bostonboomer says:

    Imagine having Rubio as president? A fast talking liar and con man.

  58. Fannie says:

    Where did those guns on the black market come from Rubio?

  59. Pat Johnson says:

    His age, religion and political label will bury him in the general.

  60. roofingbird says:

    I can’t take this, whatshisname makes me want to dig a hole and push him in it. Christie is right-a petulant child. Clearly I am pre-imagining child abuse, If this keeps up I ‘ll have to give one of us a time out.

  61. Pat Johnson says:

    I hate Cruz with a burning passion.

  62. roofingbird says:

    Cruz is burying himself with this NY thing. Stop digging.

  63. roofingbird says:

    Trump the smell of death and rebuilding. Trump understands NYC like Clinton.

  64. Pat Johnson says:

    Storm Thurmond? That racist pig?

  65. roofingbird says:

    Did JEB say something rational? I missed it while I was centering. Kasich blah.

  66. Pat Johnson says:

    You look at that stage and you have to question is the best we can do? Not one original thought or policy issue coming out of any of them.

  67. Fannie says:

    No more barbques for the Prince of Saudia Arabia………bad beef in Texas.

  68. Pat Johnson says:

    “I will beat Isis by closing all the bridges.” Chris Christie

  69. Fannie says:

    Christie, let me help you: Isis is Sunni’s, and the Saudia Arabians are Sunni’s…………and on 9/11, they were Saudia Arabians.

  70. Fannie says:

    When I am president, I will ask them as they come here, are your a bad guy or a good guy. That works.

  71. roofingbird says:

    China has control of North Korea and could do something. China needs a corporate whack job from us, not politial hacks. hmmm tpp a good thing?

  72. Pat Johnson says:

    Obama is at fault for everything.

  73. Fannie says:

    Caterpillar has been headquartered in France for over 15 years, Trump.

  74. dakinikat says:

    I can’t believe we’re getting Trump to talk tariffs.

  75. Pat Johnson says:

    Apparently Rkubio has never heard of Flint, No as he demands,we deregulate.

  76. roofingbird says:

    JEB has just clearly explained why soybeans should be used in the US, not China.

  77. roofingbird says:

    I’m losing Wifi.

  78. Fannie says:

    Christie, I suggest that we legalize breaking the US TAX Laws to fix the bridges in SC, we don’t need to build a tunnel.

  79. Fannie says:

    Rubio, I am going to side with Raygun, and not Pelosi. If any unions are left, you can be assured that I will bust there asses.

  80. roofingbird says:

    Reagan’s said no VAT tax. 15% flat tax. Abolish the IRS.

  81. Fannie says:

    Three fucking more minutes to go. The biggest idiots I’ve ever listened to.

  82. roofingbird says:

    Carson is doing the same thing women are accused of; not speaking up enough. Men win cause they talk more and longer and over each other.

  83. Fannie says:

    If I become President, I wouldn’t care about my businesses, my employees can go screw themselves.

  84. roofingbird says:

    Kasich. arggh. I have to stop using the word “folks”

  85. roofingbird says:

    I keep thinking these people will still be around even after this election, and some of them will be in Congress.

  86. roofingbird says:

    How do you retrain a right wing nut? What job are they suited for?

  87. roofingbird says:

    JEB wants to put the NSA in charge of private internet safety? did I hear that right?

  88. roofingbird says:

    HRC apologised for not saying all live matter? That’s a mid warp.

  89. Fannie says:

    Tomorrow morning a new movie is out on Benghazi, watch it, I produced, directed, and I am the shining star in this movie, not Hillary Rodham Clinton.

  90. Fannie says:

    I tell you what if any of these idiots are elected, this country will be haunted by fear for years, and years, and years to come.

  91. roofingbird says:

    Trump. Construction workers were upset about the view of our soldiers kneeling? Declare war!

  92. roofingbird says:

    Nite everyone, that was hard work and my brain feels abused. Gonna look at seed catalogs for awhile.