Tuesday Disgusting Behavior Open Thread

061915coletoon

Good Afternoon!!

This blog is just barely limping along. JJ is dealing with family issues, Dak is trying to help a friend who is in fear of her life from an abusive husband, and I’m dealing with urgent dental problems. And would you believe I still have itching on my arms and neck? It doesn’t make it easier that the news is filled with just plain horrible, awful, disgusting stuff these days. So here’s a really disgusting open thread.

Yesterday it was Bill Cosby the serial rapist. Today it’s Donald Trump and marital rape. You’ve probably already read or at least heard about the article by Tim Mak and Brandy Zadrozny at The Daily Beast yesterday about the time Ivana Trump accused her husband Donald of raping her.

47934785.cached

Ex-Wife: Donald Trump Made Me Feel ‘Violated’ During Sex.

Ivana Trump’s assertion of “rape” came in a deposition—part of the early ’90s divorce case between the Trumps, and revealed in the 1993 book Lost Tycoon: The Many Lives of Donald J. Trump.

The book, by former Texas Monthly and Newsweek reporter Harry Hurt III, described a harrowing scene. After a painful scalp reduction surgery to remove a bald spot, Donald Trump confronted his then-wife, who had previously used the same plastic surgeon. He suggested Dr. Nicole Schrader to be his surgeon because of her skills.

“Your fucking doctor has ruined me!” Trump cried.

What followed was a “violent assault,” according to Lost Tycoon. Donald held back Ivana’s arms and began to pull out fistfuls of hair from her scalp, as if to mirror the pain he felt from his own operation. He tore off her clothes and unzipped his pants.

“Then he jams his penis inside her for the first time in more than sixteen months. Ivana is terrified… It is a violent assault,” Hurt writes. “According to versions she repeats to some of her closest confidantes, ‘he raped me.’”

Ivana ran to another room, locked herself in and cried all night. The next day Trump asked her coldly about her torn out hair, “Does it hurt?”

Clown runs for prez

When the Daily Beast writers contacted Trump’s “special counsel” Michael Cohen, he was outraged and threatening.

Michael Cohen, special counsel at The Trump Organization, defended his boss, saying, “You’re talking about the frontrunner for the GOP, presidential candidate, as well as a private individual who never raped anybody. And, of course, understand that by the very definition, you can’t rape your spouse.”

“It is true,” Cohen added. “You cannot rape your spouse. And there’s very clear case law.”

Obviously, that is false. New York state criminalized marital rape in 1984, before the incident described in the Ivana’s deposition. Marital rape is now a crime in all 50 states. Cohen then threatened the writers.

“I will make sure that you and I meet one day while we’re in the courthouse. And I will take you for every penny you still don’t have. And I will come after your Daily Beast and everybody else that you possibly know,” Cohen said. “So I’m warning you, tread very fucking lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be fucking disgusting. You understand me?”

“You write a story that has Mr. Trump’s name in it, with the word ‘rape,’ and I’m going to mess your life up… for as long as you’re on this frickin’ planet… you’re going to have judgments against you, so much money, you’ll never know how to get out from underneath it,” he added.

Of course Ivana is now denying that what happened was rape, but from the description she gave a the time it certainly was a violent sexual assault in which she was held down and raped. Of course Ivan was forced to sign an agreement that prevents her from ever saying anything negative about her ex-husband or their marriage, so she can’t really be honest about what she thinks of the incident anyway.

AnderN20150712_low

There’s much more to the story. Go read the whole sorry thing at The Daily Beast if you haven’t already.

This is what the Republican Party has done to this country. This repulsive buffoon Donald Trump is leading the race for the GOP presidential nomination, and the rest of the clown car aren’t much better.

In a response to the Daily Beast Story, the Trump campaign told Business Insider:

A representative for Trump, who is now a front-runner in many polls of the Republican primary, provided a statement to Business Insider that said the incident was “old news and it never happened.” The person also said Ivana Trump made up the “rape” allegation as part of an effort to “exploit” Trump during their divorce proceedings in the early ’90s.

“This is an event that has been widely reported on in the past — it is old news and it never happened,” the Trump representative said. “It is a standard lawyer technique, which was used to exploit more money from Mr. Trump especially since he had an ironclad prenuptial agreement.”

Today Trump lawyer Michael Cohen tried–and failed–to clean up the mess he made yesterday. People make mistakes and sometimes these mistakes can be costly, if you need any legal help then contact Gruber Law Offices.

CKS0HEHWIAEP-in

From The Huffington Post: Donald Trump’s Lawyer Apologizes For ‘Inarticulate Comment’ About Spousal Rape.

“As an attorney, husband and father there are many injustices that offend me but nothing more than charges of rape or racism,” Cohen said in a statement to CNN. “They hit me at my core. Rarely am I surprised by the press, but the gall of this particular reporter to make such a reprehensible and false allegation against Mr. Trump truly stunned me. In my moment of shock and anger, I made an inarticulate comment — which I do not believe — and which I apologize for entirely.”

Cohen had some choice words for The Daily Beast, saying he planned to “come after” the publication.

“So I’m warning you, tread very f—ing lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be f—ing disgusting. You understand me?” Cohen said, according to CNN.

OK, so now you’re threatening reporters for doing their job. Ever hear of the first amendment? But I guess this is how things are handled in Trump World. I don’t think it will work much longer in the world of politics. At least I hope not.

Jon-Stewart-reacts-to-Donald-Trumps-possible-2016-run-on-May-28-2015.-YouTube-800x430

And for the record, from Think Progress: Memo To Donald Trump: Here’s What The Law Actually Says About Raping Your Spouse.

Cohen’s claim that sex between spouses cannot legally be rape was once true, although it is rooted in a definition of marriage that our society abandoned decades ago. Under the English common law, which still shapes much of American law, a woman became little more than her husband’s property when she said “I do” at the altar. As Sir William Blackstone wrote in a widely cited explanation of the common law rule of marriage, “[t]he very being or legal existence of the woman is suspended during the marriage, or at least is incorporated and consolidated into that of the husband; under whose wing, protection and cover, she performs everything.”

Under this traditional definition of marriage, a wife’s financial identity was subsumed into her husband’s. Though she could retain title over real estate, such land was managed and controlled by her husband. The husband actually gained legal ownership of his wife’s remaining property.

Significantly, the common law also held wives to be sexually subservient to their husbands. A husband “cannot be guilty of a rape committed by himself upon his lawful wife,” Sir Matthew Hale wrote in a 1736 treatise on the common law. “[B]y their mutual matrimonial consent and contract the wife hath given herself up in this kind unto her husband,” Hale added, and this consent was something “she cannot retract.”

This vision of the wife as a kind of sexual property continued until surprisingly recently in the United States. The 1962 draft of the Model Penal Code, a proposed set of criminal laws drafted by legal scholars seeking to encourage uniform laws throughout the states, provided that the crime of rape could only occur when a “male . . . has sexual intercourse with a female not his wife.” Nebraska, the first state to abolish the marital rape exemption, did not do so until 1976.

After Nebraska took this step, however, the remaining states followed fairly quickly. In 1993, North Carolina became the last state to repeal the old rule holding that a husband could not rape their wife.

So . . . what do you think? Again, this is an open thread.

Advertisements

24 Comments on “Tuesday Disgusting Behavior Open Thread”

Writing about Donald Trump gives me a headache!

2. ANonOMouse says:

I appreciate you writing about Trump, he’s a nincompoop menace who wouldn’t be taken seriously if he didn’t have a pot load of money, plus if what Ivana says is true, he’s a rapist.

And here is another example of how dangerous this guy is. Today, in an interview Trump praised Sarah Palin and said he would consider her for a Cabinet post

Stand back girls, this guy’s getting ready to implode.

• Pat Johnson says:

That alone would disqualify him for seeking the presidency. That dunce is still flailing away in a sea of word salad, inserting her dimwitted views onto subjects she knows nothing about.

BTW: Congratulations to you and your partner – now spouse – for completing a journey that has long been denied you. XXOO

• ANonOMouse says:

Thank you Pat, it’s a dream come true for us. When the ceremony first began I said “oh no, I’m going to cry”. We both cried and the minister that married us got tears in his eyes and a bit choked up too. We’re still pinching ourselves and kissing our wedding bands to make sure it’s all real. XOXO. 🙂

3. Sweet Sue says:

I think that we should focus on what Michael Cohen said which is, of course, offensive and completely inaccurate, rather than rehash decades old charges. Especially when the former Mrs. Trump has walked them back.
    This road leads nowhere good, imo.
    I’ve already heard some Republican asshole bray “Juanita Broderick” on CNN, today.
    Just my two cents.

• ANonOMouse says:

I think we’re getting ready to see the unwinding of Donald Trump. He’s letting his ass overload his mouth in ways that will sink him sooner rather than later. He’s so accustomed to saying whatever he wants to his butt kissers that he’s too unfiltered to make it through the nominating process. I think his praise of Sarah Palin today and the fact that he’s so dumb he thinks she’d make a good Cabinet member speaks volumes about how out of touch he is.

I’m going to predict that Trump is out of the contest by early Winter. He’s just too much of blow hard to last into 2016.

• Sweet Sue says:

I’m hoping that he’s in it for the long haul. 🙂
        With my teeth, I don’t do popcorn but I sure am looking forward to seeing Trump on the debate stage.

• ANonOMouse says:

I look forward to him in the debates too. I can’t wait to hear him give some off-the-cuff answer about the Iran Deal or something else equally provocative. He can’t do that “blow-smoke-up-their-asses” answers that he’s giving now on the campaign trail. Hell, he may even look dumber than Rick Perry, if that’s possible!!!!

I’m not really interested in the charges–or anything else about Donald Trump. Unfortunately, he’s leading the news every day, and this is the latest garbage that has come to the surface. It all nauseates me.

But Mrs. Trump can’t “walk it back.” In the first place, it’s in a court document and in the second place, she can’t talk about anything that happened in her marriage without Donald Trump’s written permission. Therefore, anything she has to say on this is irrelevant.

4. Beata says:

Wow. This the first time I’ve heard about this. It’s appalling. Sickening. I don’t know what more to say.

5. Sweet Sue says:

Donald Trump didn’t know that a “scalp reduction” surgery would hurt??
    Yep, there’s the genius I want leading my wagon train.

• ANonOMouse says:

Absolutely. If you’ve ever had a scalp wound of any sort injury to your scalp you know how much pain it can cause. You’d think a “smart”, “rich” guy like him would have found out before the surgery about the pain.

6. TheRealKim says:

I realize it’s old news and I know everything everyone had said is true. But Jesus H. Freaking Christ the Republican front runner for the president is an abuser, guilty of a sex crime and domestic violence. Lord have mercy what have we become???

• ANonOMouse says:

They’ve become the Part of Dysfunction. “We” or, the rest of us, get to watch them unravel. Oh, it’s gonna be so much fun. And I thought the GOP debates and primary in 2011/2012 was a sideshow, this one is going to blow that one out of the water.

• Fannie says:

Yeah, well throw in Bernie Sanders too, with his mind f…king gang rape women want. It’s like was he freakin’ doing booze and drugs and he’s back. How in the hell did he come with that essay in 1970? Meanwhile, women were kicking ass and fighting for our rights, and here we are with violence against women worst than ever.

I mean to say they are BACK.

7. Pat Johnson says:

My heart goes out to all the talented writers of this blog who seem to be experiencing an assortment of issues during this period.

As far as the GOP goes although we may view them as “entertaining” we still must consider the last 6 years that have turned so many state governments into Right Wing strongholds. They have been enjoying those gerrymandered districts that favor their views so obviously there are enough morons out there willing to cast votes for them. Especially those below the Mason Dixon Line who are still “recovering” from the Civil War. Think about it.

Hillary is not a favorite in those states and whoever they put up against her is well aware of the “negatives” – real or otherwise – that she faces going up against the Koch Bros, the Evangelicals, and Sheldon Adelson. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about the damage these forces can produce in their quest for power.

My pessimism has increased over the last 7 years and I fear what will be the outcome in 2016. Never underestimate the lack of knowledge coming from an electorate who has placed these people in power.

• ANonOMouse says:

Pat……In my opinion the GOP only has 2 candidates that can give Hillary a contest, Jeb Bush and John Kasich and I don’t believe either of them will be a real contest. Hillary’s biggest challenge is Bernie Sanders, that’s the hurdle she has to clear to get to the nomination, after that I am confident that she can kick the ass of whoever the GOP nominee is.

As for South of the Mason-Dixon, the Democratic Party can’t field a candidate that can win anything between Indiana and Alabama/Georgia, except maybe North Carolina. The States of KY, TN, AL, GA, SC, AR, LA, TX will all go GOP. I don’t think the Democrats could win those States even if they ran Jesus Christ, he’s too liberal.

• Fannie says:

My question to Hillary is how will she rectify the gerrymandering you speak of Pat. On Climate control, and other issues I don’t see the House giving her a dime, and nothing will change until 2020 census. The supreme court if the reason to vote for her.

Four Texans gave Ted Cruz, 36 million dollars……….that the power we are seeing, and we can’t stop it with Citizens United.

8. janicen says:

I’m sorry but I’m honestly not surprised whether it’s the Republican front runner or any of the rest of them in the clown car. What has any of them every said that would make one believe that they respect women?

• Pat Johnson says:

Precisely. They have attempted to redefine rape. Laugh off references in branding a woman a slut when she testifies in favor of birth control. Call it a “blessing” should a woman become pregnant through force.

Scott Walker just signed into law a bill that would ban abortion even if it involves rape and incest. Planned Parenthood has been in their sites for years.

How any woman could vote for them is beyond by comprehension.

• ANonOMouse says:

And while all of that bullshit works well for a GOP audience, it’s not a winner in the General Election. I think what we will begin to see is what we saw in TX where SCOTUS blocked enforcement of their anti-abortion laws. Women, doctors and clinics are going to have to challenge these pernicious laws and restrictions in court before we’ll be done with these ridiculous infringements on our personal autonomy and civil liberties.

9. TheRealKim says:

Not all of us below the Mason Dixon!!! Lol

10. janicen says:

Jonathan Pollard is being released on parole. I don’t know how you feel, but I’m sickened that there are people serving longer sentences for non violent marijuana offenses currently serving longer than this traitor will ultimately serve.