Paul Ryan: “It would take me too long to go through all of the math.”

On Fox News Sunday, Chris Wallace worked very hard to get a straight answer out of Republican Paul Ryan on the tax plan he and Mitt Romney are proposing, but he failed. Paul Ryan is nothing but a flim-flam man–a sneaky little weasel who couldn’t tell the truth if you paid him a million dollars. Never in my life have I seen such bullshit artist! He truly is Eddie Haskell. Here’s the video (via Think Progress):

WALLACE: So how much would it cost?
RYAN: It’s revenue neutral…

WALLACE: No no, I’m just talking about cuts. We’ll get to the deductions, but the cut in tax rates.

RYAN: The cut in tax rates is lowering all Americans’ tax rates by 20 percent.

WALLACE: Right, how much does that cost?

RYAN: It’s revenue neutral.

[…]

WALLACE: But I have to point out, you haven’t given me the math.

Ryan: No, but you…well, I don’t have the time. It would take me too long to go through all of the math. But let me say it this way: you can lower tax rates by 20 percent across the board by closing loopholes and still have preferences for the middle class. For things like charitable deductions, for home purchases, for health care. So what we’re saying is, people are going to get lower tax rates.

In the midst of refusing to give any specifics on what loopholes he would close and/or programs he would cut, Ryan brags that he’s been on the Ways and Means Committee for twelve years. So? Are we supposed to take that as proof that he’s not full of shit? And as a bonus, the throws out his favorite word “baseline” again. I guess we’re supposed to be impressed about how wonky he is? Give me a break! Just look at those Power Point slides he’s been using in his stump speech. They could have been created by a high school sophomore.

This guy has been in the House for twelve years and he has nothing but surface knowledge about the legislative process. But he knows exactly what he wants to cut–Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, plus even cent that goes into infrastructure or protecting the environment. What else is there now that he’s claiming the middle class will still have charitable deductions, mortgage deductions, and health care deductions?

Honestly, Mitt Romney is one of the most shameless liars I’ve ever seen in my more than fifty years of following politics; but I really think Ryan is worse. I can visualize him in the Old West, selling youth tonics and elixirs out of the back of his wagon to credulous homesteaders, then hightailing it out of town before the sheriff catches up with him.

Please use this as an open thread.

25 Comments on “Paul Ryan: “It would take me too long to go through all of the math.””

1. pdgrey says:

I wish I had said it, BB and I loved the visual of Eddie Munster but the core of Paul Ryan really could be no one but Eddie Haskell. NEVER tell the truth, think of yourself, never get why you should be honest.

More from Ryan’s Fox News interview.

On Romney’s “47 percent” comments:

“Mitt acknowledges himself that was an inarticulate way of describing how we’re worried that in a stagnant Obama economy more people have become dependent on government because they have no economic opportunity,” Ryan continued. “It was an inarticulate way to describe what we’re trying to do to create prosperity and upward mobility, and reduce dependency by getting people off welfare back to work.”

Inarticulate? I thought Mitt’s meaning was perfectly clear.

I’ve never once heard anything out of Paul Ryan’s mouth that shows he has even a basic understanding of economics.

It would take him too long to do the math because he doesn’t understand math!

Yet the look on his face says he thinks he’s so clever. He’s been getting away with things his whole life by fast-talking and vagueries.

“If it sounds too good to be true, he’s fooling you.” The voters are going to hand Ryan a big smack in his lying face in November.

• HT says:

I think we’ve all known one of those folks which is why we recognize them when we see them again. The problem is with the people who have never recognized the conmen in their midst.
        My mom always used to tell me that if it sounded too good to be true, then it wasn’t. Your cite is just as appropriate.

Riverside County GOP registration surge raises questions of fraud — At least 133 residents of a state Senate district there have filed formal complaints with the state, saying they were added to GOP rolls without their knowledge.

• pdgrey says:

This scares me to death, link from the BRAD BLOG

This guy as been doing this for years and Michael Iskioff kept reporting only, that this “was a new company”.
      The firm, Strategic Allied Consulting, is the latest creation of Sproul, a longtime, high-level GOP operative whose companies — including Sproul & Associates and Lincoln Strategy Group — have been accused of destroying Democratic voter registration forms and changing information on them in election after election, in state after state, year after year. He was hired for similar operations by Bush/Cheney in ’04, by McCain/Palin in ’08 and by Mitt Romney’s campaign late last year.

“If they’re changing your address from your real address, and you did not submit that, somebody was submitting it on your behalf in a false manner, then on Election Day you will not appear on the voter rolls and you’re going to have vote a provisional ballot and the law says that if you don’t go to the correct polling location on Election Day and you vote a provisional ballot, we can’t open the envelope and count your ballot.”

5. pdgrey says:

Since this is an open thread, is anybody watching Arnold Schwarzenegger on 60 minutes? This man is insane.

6. pdgrey says:

I have to leave for work and will have to catch up tomorrow but if you missed it Dancing Dave did his part today.

7. pdgrey says:

I hope no one hear gets mad at me but I just can’t stand Tim Tebow and I am only linking to this because of the tweet in the article.
    @Brian_Bassett
    Brian Bassett
    And that’s why they call what Tim Tebow throws… Hospital Balls.

8. HT says:

I’ve been watching and participating in politics for the better part of 45 years, yet I’m feeling adrift because I cannot understand what the heck is happening. Is this attributable to something in the water? the Milk? the vegetables? How on earth can anyone even attest that they will vote for these people? Time for the old fogies home for me – seems to be a more sane place these days.

The polls are indicating that plenty of other people know that R/R don’t pass the smell test. I can only hope that the Republican loss in November will sink these extreme-radical R-wings for good.

• HT says:

from you lips to Chtulahs ears. I can only hope, otherwise I’m bound for the old fogies place. Lately, I’m beginning to believe it’s the only sane place left.

• RalphB says:

More polls, include the Columbus Dispatch poll. Guess they’re all skewed 😉

PoliticalWire: Latest Swing State Polls

Here are the latest polls from the battleground states, updated as needed through the day:

Iowa: Obama 49%, Romney 45% (Des Moines Register)

Ohio: Obama 51%, Romney 42% (Columbus Dispatch)

Ohio: Obama 49%, Romney 45% (Public Policy Polling)

North Carolina: Obama 48%, Romney 48% (Public Policy Polling)

9. RalphB says:

Via Paul Constant, #Romneyzingers Such as “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what your country will bring on the Chinese market.” and “Excuse me sir, but I PAID for this election“….

10. List of X says:

Wallace should have taken up Ryan on “will take too much time” and offered Ryan as much time as he needs. Seriously, I can answer Chris Wallace’s question in a minute: assume that 2011 personal income receipts are more or less representative of the future years. 2011 personal income receipts were approximately $1.1T. A 20% reduction across all personal rates will bring 20% less revenue, i.e., $220B. For 10 years it cost 10x$220B = $2.2T in today’s dollars. (This assumes the GDP grows at the same rate as the interest rate we pay on 10 year bonds – which is the case now at about 2% each).
    That’s it, done, $2.2T in 10 years. Mr. Romney, I’ll be waiting for your offer to replace Ryan as his running mate. Yes, my birth certificate is no good, but I’m white and that’s all your people care about.