Thursday Reads: Convention Hangover Edition

Good Morning!!

I’m really beat after two nights of watching the horror show down in Tampa, so today’s post is going to be a link dump. Luckily, there are lots of good reads out there.

Yesterday we were talking about how the media is handling the blatant lies of the Romney campaign on welfare and medicare. Some media outlets have actually begun calling them out and using words like “false” and even “lies.”

Some links on that topic–some of which come from yesterday’s comments, because I think this is such an important issue.

Jonathan Chait: Mitt Doesn’t Care About Your Facts.

Brian Beutler: A Critical Juncture (h/t RalphB)

James Fallows: Bit by Bit It Takes Shape: Media Evolution for the ‘Post-Truth’ Age (h/t JJ)

Robert Reich: How Romney Keeps Lying Through HIs Big White Teeth

Dave Wiegel: “You Didn’t Build That”…But You Sure Did Edit It.

Now, some important reads on Romney/Ryan and race-baiting.

Harold Meyerson: In modern GOP, the old South returns (h/t RalphB)

Ron Fournier: Why (and How) Romney is Playing the Race Card (h/t JJ)

Joan Walsh: Paul Ryan and the GOP’s New Dog Whistle Politics

By now everyone knows that a CNN camera woman was harassed at the GOP Convention. Two attendees reportedly threw nuts at her and said “This is how we feed animals.” They were removed, but no one knows if they were permanently banned. CNN has chosen not to reveal the camera woman’s name or the names of the perpetrators–why?

Greg Sargent: CNN should reveal details of nut-throwing incident

Digby: CNN is fighting the perception of being biased against racist thugs

Digby harked back to the famous incident when Dan Rather was attacked by a security person at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968 and pointed out that Rather and Walter Cronkite didn’t shrink from commenting on the thuggish behavior.

Several links about Tuesday night’s top speakers, Ann Romney and Chris Christie

Connor Friedersdorf: Chris Christie’s RNC Speech Misled Viewers on Medicare

Andrew Rosenthal: Chris Christie: But Enough About Mitt, Let’s Talk About Me

Errol Lewis: Tough Truths About Christie’s New Jersey

Politico: Chris Christie’s Flop at the GOP Convention

E.J. Graff: Ann Romney Loves Women!

Adam Serwer: Ann Romney and the Subversive Conservatism of ABC’s ‘Modern Family’

Don’t Miss this one! Ed Kilgore: Who’s Zoomin’ Who on Abortion?

E.J. Dionne: In defense of Juan Williams (and Chris Matthews)

Today is the last day of the GOP Convention, and tonight is Mitt’s big moment!

Gail Collins: Renovating Mitt Romney

Dana Millbank: Republicans playing Brutus

Michael Kinsley: Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Todd Akin: Going for distance

Now what are you reading and blogging about today?

68 Comments on “Thursday Reads: Convention Hangover Edition”

1. joanelle says:

Great roundup, BB!

2. ecocatwoman says:

On the ground, outside the RNC, another example of the Crazy: http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/two-florida-republicans-want-law-allowing-gun-owners-shoot-illegal-voters?page=0%2C0 Arizona wild west law right here in Florida – coming to a street corner near you.

3. Pat Johnson says:

The Republican speakers have proven that it is possible to stand before the cameras, look straight ahead, and lie and the MSM will sit back and call it “hitting it out of the park”. Fascinating.

With just enough platitudes sprinkled throughout, and a fistful of empty rhetoric that adds up to a “big fat nothingburger”, the press will “rate” each speaker on delivery and their comfort level in addressing a flag waving audience shouting “U.S.A.”

I will say that overall they were able to mask their real intentions of privatizing, deregulating, and denying healthcare access from the young, old and in between by inserting “exceptionalism” into most paragraphs thus obscuring their “vision for America” in a plethora of meaningless word salad aimed at the uninformed.

As Cong. Ryan lied his soul into hell with distortions and outright whoppers, to listen to the pundits today proclaiming his speech as “awesome” is outrageous.

Charlie Pierce: Paul Ryan Is the Newest New Nixon, a Moocher Belied

The difference, of course, is that Nixon was deeply, authentically marked by deep and authentic poverty and deprivation. He came by his ultimately self-destructive neuroses honestly. He earned every wound that he imagined the smart people of the world — the Jews, those damn Kennedys — had inflicted on him. He actually worked a job outside of government, and outside the Washington universe of government-dependent think tanks. He once actually had to earn a living. Paul Ryan hasn’t lacked for a job since he left college as the golden child of Wisconsin Republican politics, riding his family connections into a job with then-Senator Bob Kasten.

When Paul Ryan is really working Nixon’s side of the street, he talks about how his father died when he was a teenager, and about how his mother rode the bus to Madison, and he’s trying to wring the same notes from the biographical tin-piano that Nixon could play like Van Cliburn. However, when Ryan turns the phrase, “I still live on the same block where I grew up,” he doesn’t mention that he happens to live in a 5,800-square-foot mansion that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. No good Republican cloth coats in the Ryan closet, that’s for sure. Richard Nixon would have resented this upstart on sight, and not just for stealing his act. He’d have had Bob Haldeman on Ryan’s ass by morning.

4. Pat Johnson says:

Busy “grading” Paul Ryan’s speech, I have yet to hear one pundit challenge him on the number of lies spread throughout his message.

This is the same guy, now calling Obama a “failure”, who for those 8 years of Bush/Cheney voted “yea” on every piece of legislation that has led to the financial meltdown and the never ending wars that came from that administration and left us dangling on the edge of the precipice today.

The same guy calling for “personhood” for a zygote. The same guy who is anxious to privatize every public service available. The same guy who is eager to eliminate Social Security and healthcare access.

But according to some he “hit it out of the park”.

I must be living in a parallel universe.

5. ANonOMouse says:

Oh, this is priceless. Romney family members party with mega-wealthy donors on yacht flying flag of the Cayman Islands. The yacht is called Cracker Bay? Oh, c’mon surely they’re not that obvious.

That sounds like something from The Onion.

• ANonOMouse says:

It does, but it proves the old adage that “truth is stranger than fiction”. I can’t wait to see if Jon Stewart hooks onto this one.

• ecocatwoman says:

I think it was the Guardian live blog link someone put up last night talked about the yacht party for Romney’s million dollar supporters.

22:11 BST

The big story of the day so far – it’s early days – is that Mitt Romney hates America. How can we tell? Not only does he send lots of his own money to rest in a Caymans Island bank account, he also holds parties on a yacht registered in the Cayman Islands.

It’s not Romney’s own yacht – which would make this more exciting – but it’s the plaything of a friendly wealthy donor and fundraiser who happened to be visiting Tampa. How convenient. Here’s ABC News, which broke what no-one is dubbing “yacht-flag-gate”:

Governor Mitt Romney’s campaign toasted its top donors Wednesday aboard a 150-foot yacht flying the flag of the Cayman Islands.

The floating party, hosted by a Florida developer on his yacht Cracker Bay, was one of a dozen exclusive events meant to nurture those who have raised more than $1 million for Romney’s bid.

“I think it’s ironic they do this aboard a yacht that doesn’t even pay its taxes,” said a woman who lives aboard a much smaller boat moored at the St Petersburg Municipal Marina.

Oh no! A “much smaller boat”? Also, that’s not really irony, except in an Alanis Morissette sense.

Copied from this link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/29/republican-national-convention-ryan-live

• jawbone says:

CaymanGate“??

It’s brief, catchy, and has a nice internal rhyme. Fits well into the long list of post0Watergate political faux and real scandals.

You can riff to it.

So it would be good for bloggers, pundits, and pols. Even Dem ads…. (Oh, please, let there be photographs!)

• Fannie says:

Probably to show that Ryan isn’t cracked up to be what he says he is.

6. Pat Johnson says:

I’d like to pose a question to Paul “I am a Catholic” Ryan: How come only 3 kids?

Am I correct in believing that your sex life is non existent because since both you and I were raised in the same religion, and were instructed early on that sex was confined to “procreation only”, does this mean that your sexual urges are being played out in your daily gym exercises?

Because as Catholics we both know that you would be breaking the laws of the church by practicing any form of contraception – that would be hypocritical – so am I safe in assuming that keeping the number of kids to 3 you have done your duty as far as the church is concerned and are now practicing abstinence?

• ANonOMouse says:

“Because as Catholics we both know that you would be breaking the laws of the church by practicing any form of contraception”

Maybe they’re practicing rythm. Brghahahahahahaha! Because we all know rythm WORKS and I have 3 children to prove it.

• Beata says:

Good question, Pat.

My grandmother was the youngest of 13 children ( the 14th died in infancy ). Now there’s a real Irish family for you!

• Pat Johnson says:

My father was one of 12 children. His mother died at the age of 47 from rampant diabetes.

But she obeyed the “laws of the church” in producing children that not only destroyed her health but kept her chained into a life of poverty since they were financially incapable of raising that many kids.

Married at 19, she was pregnant for most of her adult life and was so sick toward the end that she was unable to walk.

But she died “in the arms of the church” by fulfilling her duty to an institution that could honestly care less about her and the children, some of whom were raised without a mother.

This is where the proposals of the GOP would send women: back into sexual slavery for an ideology that has no bearing on real life.

• Beata says:

My great-grandmother was married at age 15 and had the first of her fourteen children at age 16. Four of the children did not live to adulthood. Who knows how many miscarriages she may have had as well? Amazingly, she outlived her husband and died ( of complete exhaustion ) at age 65.

Ah, the good old days…

7. ANonOMouse says:

A couple of mulitiple day polls.

Rasmussen (Thursday) 3-Day Tracking 1500 LV

3.0

Obama 45

Fomney 45

Tie

Gallup (Wednesday) 7-Day Tracking 3050 RV

2.0

Obama 47

Romney 46

Obama +1

• Pat Johnson says:

I have a hard time accepting that it is this close.

Who in hell would even consider voting for Romney in the first place?

You don’t even have to like Obama to see the destruction a Romney/Ryan administration would deliver.

Romney lies, denies,and refuses to even reveal his tax returns. Ryan is a co-author of a bill that would stifle women’s rights even more. They are vague on specifics but strong on the platform to shackle women, seniors, gays, and children.

I don’t get it.

• RalphB says:

Gallup, Rasmussen, and most others to a lesser extent are using a polling sample that is older and whiter than the 2008 electorate. They are using something closer to the 2004 demographic.

• Pat Johnson says:

ralph: I wonder too if perhaps they are only reaching those with landlines. My phone rings off the hook from those doing surveys or those seeking donations for the Dems.

I never get those same calls on my cell.

• ANonOMouse says:

Do you think Rasmussen is steering his poll? If I remember correctly Rasmussen had McCain beating Obama through much of the fall in 2008.

• ANonOMouse says:

OMG “do you think Rasmussen is steering his poll”? Brhahahahaha! I promise, that wasn’t an intentional tacky comment. But he probably does steer his poll.

• RalphB says:

Rasmussen will get whatever he is supposed to get, up until it’s final crunch time. 🙂

8. jawbone says:

Re: CNN not covering news made involving its black camera woman (is that correct that the camera person is a woman? That fits the Repub set of people who can be attacked and demeaned, women and minorities, oh, and Muslims, eh? May be Dems or especially liberals, as well) —

Jim Lehrer has a rule at NewsHour that interviewers do not outright correct a politican’s lies or misstatements. Gwen Ifill repeated in on NPR’s convention coverage Tuesday night. She said it’s her role to let the speaker make statements, but to never point a finger at him or her and say he or she is a liary. She said she can talk about the issue is such a way that the viewer/listener can figure out the pol is lying. But it can never be said outright.

Note to Gwen — You don’t have to point your finger; just use your brain and the microphone you’re endowed with, partially due to the First Amendment.

Unless the person is a reporter speaking truth about conditions in Iraq in March 2004, toward the middle of that war/occupation, and then Lerher himself goes on the air to apologize for the statements made by Christian Parenti, and independent reporter, who was a guest being interviewed about his findings while in Iraq. Lehrer said they did not comport with the spirit and standards of The NewsHour. The reporter has never again been asked to be on NewsHour, even after it became painfully apparent he was giving a sadly accurate report.

The corrolloary of the the Lehrer rule is that never will pols be embarrassed by having NewsHour tell the truth about them, until they are no longer powerful within the Beltway or out of favor with Lehrer..

CNN is merely extending that to cover a political party and even its not well known supporters.

This does not apply to Occupy, of course. Or those out of favor with the MCM.

9. Beata says:

Great links today, BB. Thanks for all your hard work.

10. RalphB says:

Amazingly enough, this is a good fact check of Ryan’s speech from Fox.

Paul Ryan’s speech in 3 words

• Pat Johnson says:

Sally Kohn got this right.

Let’s see if Tweety sticks to the script and pronounces it a “barn burner” as he did with Chris Christie.

• RalphB says:

memeorandum is full of stories which basically call Ryan a liar. I think Tweety may do the same, but you can never tell.

• Pat Johnson says:

Tweety hailed John Kasich last night by stating “I admire you, my friend!” setting aside that as governor of Ohio Kasich is actively involved in denying both voters rights and dismantling unions.

Tweety is an ass! He viscerally despises Romney but praises Ryan. The same Tweety who found something admirable and heroic when W bounced onto the ship announcing “mission accomplished!” wearing a codpiece that was unavoidable to the eye.

This is Tweety who could not contain himself over the emergence of Rudy Giuliani into the 20008 race.

I expect Tweety to offer words of praise to Ryan based soley on the fact that they share Irish Catholic roots if nothing else. This is our Tweety – forever in search of a mancrush. The same Tweety who declared Chris Christie’s speech a barnburner when it was nothing more than a capaign opening for 2016 made on his own behalf.

Not expecting too much else from him judging from past history.

• Beata says:

Tweety is all over the place with the GOPers these days. Lambasting one and then praising another. Consistency is obviously not his strong suit. I do think he has a Catholic school-boy crush on Ryan. Blarf.

11. jawbone says:

Singable comment from Eschaton re: Cpndi’s speech —

R. McGeddon, futilitarianCollapse

Who can take Osama (who can take Osama)
    Shove him in a drawer (shove him in a drawer)
    Whisper in her boss’s ear he’s something to ignore
    The Condi Ma’am (the Condi Ma’am)
    Oh, the Condi Ma’am can (the Condi Ma’am can)
    The Condi Ma’am can
    ‘Cause she mixes it with lies
    And makes the Chimp feel good (makes the Chimp feel good).

12. RalphB says:

Obama video of TV anchors fact checking Ryan in near real-time. I think it’s effective.

• Pat Johnson says:

Wow, ralph, after reading all the accolades this morning I am amazed that CNN and even Chris Wallace took these lies on.

Terriffic!

• RalphB says:

I haven’t seen many accolades for his speech. I’ve seen more stories, even the APs, which basically fact check him and call him out for lying.

• Beata says:

Excellent ad. Chris Matthews is heard in it criticizing Ryan’s speech. Good for him. So much for my crush theory. 🙂

• ANonOMouse says:

Good Ad!!! But hell, he’s “cute” and his eyes are “blue” and BLOODSHOT, in case no one noticed but me.

13. ANonOMouse says:

Oh hell, here we go again.. American Family Association caught in another “Teh Gay did it” moment.

14. HT says:

BB thank you and all the other frontpagers for your indefatigable work in putting together these posts – and you must be exhausted both mentally, physically and emotionally.
    Rove and the PACs are on the job. The blogs and newspaper comments are alive with the sound of GOP minions (remember the Obots in 2008). Rove’s Rangers and Koch’s Komandos are on the ball and commenting on every post that involves Romney and Ryan – at least all the ones I’ve read so far, repeating the exact same misrepresentations and lies – almost from a script. Hmmm, I wonder why that is.

15. pdgrey says:

Hi, I’m back, Skydancers. After 2 bottles of wine and a couple of therapy sessions. I am ok now. I have been watching this eye scratching SHIT in Florida and trying to keep up with all of the great post and links. I will admit I skipped the very personal stories on rape. I am so sorry that I had to do that. I will go back and read them when I am better.

I wanted to say that of all of the LIES I heard, and you have pointed out, I am still going to talk about Ann Romney. I’m sure nothing she has said will make any difference to who wins. But I honestly can’t find a single thing I like about her. Caveat, My sister was diagnosed with MS the same year as Ann. Please do not think I don’t know diseases progress differently. Or that I am jealous of people who have more money. But this is a disease that needs money. Just to help my sister stand, walk, get the medication, physical therapy, and help the burning pain she has. When I talk to my sister, every conversation starts with whether it’s a “good day or bad day”. The fact Ann doesn’t understand the “moochers” (poor people) get MS. too, makes me a hateful person. Because I’d like to make her spend the rest of her life taking care of my sister. Or just scratch her eyes out, (snark, I am not a fighter), but I can dream.

But my point is, Ann will never be truly called out for the kind of person she is, Obama campaign can’t, the media won’t, so the blogs are left to just kinda of laugh at her “You People” shit.

I saw her speech dragging all women back to the “good old days” when women had such a wonderful life in the 1950’s. Ann Romney, June Cleaver gets a mansion. Beaver goes to Prep school. America!

And to add to the big fucking laugh. When is the last time you saw a grown woman do the “curtsey”. “I love you women”!

• HT says:

pd, so good to see you! It’s difficult to live through this when you have personal experience of people who did not have Ann’s advantages and then to hear her husband using it as a political plus because we did it, so can you – makes me ill. How many of us have the wherewithal to undertake the therapy that they did. Yeah, “We people” know exactly what Ann Romney is – a women in a place that 90 percent of the people who are ill will never be. Even worse was the “love you” comment. The woman is truly clueless, and I’ll never understand how anyone can be so out of touch.
      I do not know totally what you are going through, because most of my beloveds died before I was a caregiver – too young, too frigging young. And that’s not because we didn’t have medical help – in Canada you do have medical assistance. However it makes me wonder about many things about the Romney narrative.

• pdgrey says:

HT, thank you for the reply. I really cut short my comment, if you can believe that! I went through the same RNC crap in 2004 because my father had Parkinson’s (stem cell research). I was a care giver for both of my parents. Sadly, both are gone now.

• HT says:

pd, I can never know what you have experienced – as mentioned all of my beloveds died very quickly, so I was never exposed. My mom and dad, gone within 13 days, with no prior indication that they were terminal. Like you, I would have taken care of them because that’s what “We People” do (Mind you, prior to their unexpected death, I did take care of them, but they were considered healthy at the time, just failing). The worst was my younger brother at the beginning of this year – no warning – nearly killed me to lose him. On one hand I am fortunate. On the other….well you know. It’s difficult listening to multi millionaires totally deviod of empathy arseholes going on about how they have struggled – about what I wonder, which fork to use for the salad, because they were all born wealthy. Ann Romney is no better than Fanny Faye Baker in my humble opinion.
        Anyway, keep your chin up. You are strong, and I know it’s difficult, but throughout, you are the better, stronger person.

• HT says:

Sorry, I got her name wrong. Tammy Faye Baker later to become Tammy Faye Messner.

• pdgrey says:

HT, what wonderful responses to pain you give. I have not lost young people in my family like you. I just can’t image.

• HT says:

Actually, you can. You are far stronger than I. But the one thing I keep remembering, while I’m drinking myself to death is that I had wonderful family members that I have lost, or those who are still here and are not well. I love them, as you love your sister. You are doing something really positive, despite how difficult I know it is for you. You are the hero m’dear. However you need to make sure that you have time for yourself. You need a support network. You need to engage that support network to save yourself from either insanity or total and complete exhaustion. Up here, we have social services that put us in touch with many support networks. I don’t know about down there, but if you haven’t connected, then do so for your own sake. Your sister needs you, and if you burn yourself out… In support networks, others step in to make sure you have some time and they connect with the patient. Our June Callwood, a famous writer (up here) and activitist for aids hostels and many other social hostels, chose to die at home. She had all of her friends, and her friends friends, and her friends friends acquaintenances to oversee her final days to ensure she was comfortable. Now I know she was wealthy, but she was not like other wealthy people, she contributed, gave back without acknowledgement,gave most of her money away. Anyway, her caregivers had time away because there was someone else to step up and allow them time away to recoup (it’s always difficult to watch someone die). You need to have a support network.

• Beata says:

HT, stop drinking yourself to death and get some support for yourself! I mean it. You are worrying me. Your life is far from over even though you have lost significant loved ones.

• HT says:

Beata, thanks for the concern. I’m not really drinking myself to death, although it holds a strange attraction. I’m still trying to cope with my brother’s loss, and I’m not doing that in a positive way. I shall survive, I always seem to anyway. thank you very much for your concern. I have a very strong affection for you too.

• pdgrey says:

I love your care and love in that reply. I too, drink to much wine, I have stress from my relationship the my husband, too. My sisters are all I have and now you. You are lovely.

• HT says:

pd, you need a connection. If you do need to talk, ask JJ to give you me email.

• pdgrey says:

I will HT.

16. RalphB says:

Good piece by John Cole on the right’s propensity to always play the victim.

Balloon-Juice: Always, Always, Always the Victim

Look- I’m as shocked as Jay Rosen that even the Washington Post Editorial Board and other media outlets that normally roll over and play dead whenever Republicans blatantly lie are finally coming out and calling a lie a lie.

But if Republicans want to stop being called liars, they should probably stop lying about everything. But they can’t, because every time they are honest about their beliefs, people look at them like they are the three-headed spawn of Satan. Ask Rep. Akin.