Saturday: NY sends forth a Tiny Ripple of Hope

Click to view larger; U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton meets with Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C., on June 23, 2011. (State Dept./ Public Domain)

Morning, news junkies. I’m under the weather, so forgive me if this is scatterbrained.

Marriage equality has arrived in NY. Last night, the New York senate legalized same-sex marriage in a 33-29 vote, and Governor Cuomo signed the bill into law, making NY the largest state where lesbian and gay couples can tie the knot. What an epic moment of pride and history, especially during Pride month, and as Queer Talk blogger Joyce Arnold notes, this is the first GOP-controlled state legislature to pass gay marriage. (Also, remember what Huntsman said about the law earlier this week when asked about it.)

At times like these, Bobby Kennedy’s words at Capetown in June ’66 always come to mind for me.

As dismal as the last decade of political leadership in DC has been, ultimately it could not stop the million different centers of energy and daring that came together on Friday to sweep down the barrier to marriage equality–in the state that sparked the modern LGBT movement to begin with, no less. That’s hope in action, years of activism coming to fruition, putting the idea of change you can “believe in” to shame. What has happened in NY is change that the constituents of that state can now experience–and change that the rest of the country can see (and follow in the footsteps of!)

I only have one quick note on Madame Secretary this time. On Monday, June 27th, Hillary will be hosting an LGBT Pride event at the State Department called “The Human Rights of LGBT People and U.S. Foreign Policy.” Go Hillary! If only someone would hold a WH event called “The Human Rights of LGBT People and U.S. Domestic Policy.” (Obama’s half-assed speech on Thursday to LGBT donors does not count.)

My Nifty graph pick for the week: If Congress Does Nothing, The Deficit Will Disappear (via TPM).

New Deal 2.0’s Bryce Colvert has posted an excellent interview with Roosevelt Institute’s Senior Fellow Ellen Chesler on Wal-Mart v. Dukes: “The Simple Answer is an Equal Rights Amendment.”

Amanda Marcotte on Using the War on Contraception as an Opportunity:

It’s true that anti-choicers are linking contraception to abortion in order to attack contraception, but we can turn that strategy on its head. If they’re going to link contraception and abortion, then pro-choicers should embrace that. And we should use the fact that contraception is widely accepted and even popular to help change the framing of abortion.

If you missed Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas’ piece “My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant” earlier this week, go read it now!

Mark Kelly and Gabby Gifford are going to be writing a memoir.

Indian American paper honors Nikki Haley as Person of the Year.

Via Huffpo, Women In Power: Annemarie Goedmakers, The Woman Who Brings Light To The Darkest Corners Of Africa. Goedmakers’ advice for young women:

“You cannot do everything on your own. You need people that like you, or like your ideas. It might be your boss, a friend, or a group of women that pushes you for a certain post. It’s essential to have these kinds of sponsors around you. They give just the push at moments where on your own, you wouldn’t be a success.”

That’s what the Sisterhood is for.

Speaking of which, did you hear that Gillibrand and other female legislators beat the Washington press corps in a game of softball on Thursday night and dedicated their win to Gabby Giffords? It’s a nice story… definitely check it out if you need a pick-me-up.

I’ll leave you with a fun and intriguing item before I wrap up with today’s historical trivia.

Earlier this week I saw CNN’s Ali Velshi interview two investigators from the Wellman Center for Photomedicine (at Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital). Velshi basically introduced the segment by saying that humans might get to have a glowing pointer finger like ET. I’ve been around as long as ET, so in my lifetime we’ve gone from a sci fi special effect to something that may have practical applications in cancer treatment:

Maybe most promising, however: the Harvard physicists say that the technology could be used to help destroy cancer. While lasers are already used in certain treatments to battle malignant tumors, the ability to aggressively and precisely target cancerous cells from deep within the affected body tissue — using bio-lasers — would represent a major breakthrough in oncology.

Here’s more from SciAm’s writeup last week: Green Fluorescent Protein Makes for Living Lasers.

Today in Women’s History (June 25)

In 1881, Crystal Eastman was born. Teaser, via National Women’s Hall of Fame:

Crystal Eastman, co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union, struggled throughout her life for equal rights and civil liberties for all. Acquiring her law degree from New York University in 1907, Eastman was one of only a few hundred women lawyers in the early twentieth century.

Well, that’s it for me. What’s on your blogging list this Saturday?

[originally posted at Let Them Listen; crossposted at Taylor Marsh and Liberal Rapture]

8 Comments on “Saturday: NY sends forth a Tiny Ripple of Hope”

1. Pat Johnson says:

Good that Hillary is an advocate for women in foreign countries in her role of Secretary of State.

What is needed is the same attention paid to women of this country who are being stripped of their rights under this GOP onslaught.

So far we are left devoid of a voice who would strongly speak up against the inequities we will suffer here and that in itself is pathetic.

The hyypocrisy is in applauding our efforts in other lands while those at home are about to be denied access to much needed healthcare by a handful of zealots who seem to “know better” about a woman’s right to privacy.

Women the world over need to be free of the shackles imposed upon them by moronic policies that do nothing to advance their rights. But let’s concentrate on the laws here at home that may lead to women in foreign countries to look upon us in much the same way that Hillary has campaigned against their efforts to keep women prisoners of the same system.

I agree. I don’t know how much Hillary can get involved in domestic politics, but it does feel awful to know that supposedly the administration cares about women in other countries while they are allowing the GOP to turn U.S. women into baby incubators with no humanity of their own.

• Branjor says:

Maybe she can get involved in domestic politics after she retires from State. I certainly hope she does.

Hi Wonk, sorry you’re not feeling well. Thanks for doing your Saturday post anyway. I’d be lost without it. Now to read it–I slept too late today!

3. Woman Voter says:

Wonk,

Get better soon and thanks for the lovely photo of Hillary, brightens the day.

4. apishapa says:

10 months ago I filed a gender discimination suit against my employe,r State of Colorado DWR _Division2, because I was denied a promotion based on my gender. This is an agricultural division and almost completely dominated by men. To me it was really obvious that they circumvented the hiring process to hire a younger, less qualified man. I went through Colorado Civil Rights Division which takes forever. Since I’ve read that CCRD rules for employers over 90% of the time, I pretty much assumed I would lose. But, I was so damned mad over how they have treated not just me but most of the few women employed in this Division. Yesterday I received the ruling from CCRD and I WON!!!

I don’t know exactly what I’m supposed to do now because I did this all alone. I wrote my own brie(s)and gathered my own evidence. I was interviewed by the investigator twice with no one to represent me. He was really nice though, and I managed to state my case clearly I guess. I think everyone but me thought it was a loser, because it was really convoluted to explain clearly how I reached the conclusion that there was absolutely no other explanation for why I was denied that position. It helped that the Division Engineer got angry at the CCRD investigator and ended up admitting that they manipulated the hiring system to get the result they wanted. He really thought that was okay. I asked the Union (COWINS) for help, but I didn’t get much. They encouraged me to go for it, but I did not get any advice or support. But now that I dragged myself over this first hurdle, the are pretty excited. I am scheduled to meet with the Union lawyer in Denver next week to discuss my next actions. I’m a founding member, I pay union dues, and I’ll take help from anyone.

I am so happy finally someone believes us (the women of Division 2). I don’t know how it will all work out, but I do know that at least now, DWR knows they cannot continue to treat women this way. They have already hired two women into the surface water section since I filed this suit. There were no women at all in that area until I filed this suit. Wish me luck. If anyone knows what I need to do next, please let me know. has any adviec on what happens from here on, I would be happy to hear it. I haven’t researched what to do next. Didn’t think I would get this far.

• paper doll says:

Congratulations!!!!!

But now that I dragged myself over this first hurdle, they are pretty excited.

of course, you have done the work.

Honey just watch they don’t sell you down the river…using YOUR victory as a chip in their own poker game with capital….take the “help”, but please just watch out. They are there to help themselves first …as you already know. and capital uses them as a means to stifle protests imo. Please be careful.

But congratulations again!!

• apishapa says:

The Uion wanted me to file my suit as a class action. I didn’t do it, because I didn’t think anyone else in my office was going to sign on until one of us paved th way. THere were many women who had been passed over, but it is hard to go up against your boss and stay in the same office. There are a lot of subtle ways of payback when you rock the boat around here.I’ve been there a long time, and I’m not afraid of no one talking to me. I don’t talk much anyway. The only people I care about were on my side. One reason I applied for that position was because my old supervisor was mistreated and abused until she gave up and retired. I was so angry, then they passed over my coworker for a job she was really qualified for. This was about the 5th time she had tried to get one of those higher level surface water jobs. When this one came up I knew who they had selected and I knew I was much more qualified than he was. I knew I would not get hired, no matter ow much better I would have been. I wanted that job, and I really did not see how they could justify passing me over if I aced the interview. I did and he apparently did very poorly in the interview. They gave him the job anyway. “just to give him a chance.”

I admit I have been a nervous wreck for months. I have to watch everything I do and say at work, because I know they are gunning fo rme. The leadership team make really uncool remarks about how I have disrupted the office. I was required to complete some kind of career planning form. No one else in the office ahd to do that. I refused. They have thrown hints about giving me a different promotion, but I know BS when I hear it. I don’t know if I should sign on with the union lawyer or not. I don’t know what I’m doing, and I am afraid to go to a personnel board hearing withut some representation.