Rand Paul: He’s for a woman’s choice…of toilet

See Rand. See Rand rant.

See Rand rant about the right to choice when it comes to selecting toilet, light-bulb, dishwasher, washing machine, etc:

From ABC’s The Note:

Sen. Rand Paul, R-KY, today went off on a tirade about toilets in the midst of an Energy & Natural Resources Committee hearing on energy efficiency standards for certain appliances.

His unwitting victim was Kathleen Hogan, the deputy assistant secretary for energy efficiency at the Department of Energy.

“You’re really anti-choice on every other consumer item that you’ve listed here, including light bulbs, refrigerators, toilets – you name it, you can’t go around your house without being told what to buy. You restrict my choices, you don’t care about my choices,” Paul said to her. “You don’t care about the consumer frankly. You raise the cost of all the items with your rules, all your notions that you know what’s best for me.”

[…]

“This is what your energy efficiency standards are. Call it what it is. You prevent people from making things that consumers want. I find it really appalling and hypocritical and think there should be some self-examination from the administration on the idea that you favor a woman’s right to an abortion, but you don’t favor a woman or a man’s right to choose what kind of light-bulb, what kind of dishwasher, what kind of washing machine. I really find it troubling – this busy-body nature that you want to come into my house, my bathroom, my bedroom, my kitchen, my laundry room. I just really find it insulting and I find that all of the arguments for energy efficiency – you’re exactly right we should conserve energy, but why not do it in a voluntary way? Why do it where you threaten to fine me or put me in jail if I don’t accept your opinion? In America we believe in trying to convince our neighbors, but not trying to convince them through the force of law. I find this a ntithetical to the American way.”

There’s more. Be sure to watch the entire video.

Oh, and apparently this was a 20 year tirade in the making:

When Paul finally paused, Hogan smiled, and then another senator asked if he should go ahead with his own comments or let Paul continue.

“I was just kind of enjoying it,” Paul said. “I’ve been waiting for 20 years to talk about how bad these toilets are and this was a good excuse today.”

Isn’t that lovely? Rand Paul enjoys wasting congressional hearing time to whine about his kitchen and plumbing at a time when…

Those are just a few of the depressing statistics I came across in the past 24 hours.

In 2008, then-vice presidential candidate Joe Biden said the number one issue facing middle class families was a “three-letter word” J-O-B-S.

In 2010, Boehner and the GOP asked, “Where are the jobs?”

The amount of stupidity, incompetence, and malfeasance coming from DC somehow manages to grow exponentially day by day.

Perhaps this should be a new litmus test: if a candidate can’t even find a working toilet or light bulb, then Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect US Senate or House seat.

If a Democratic Administration looks to Reagan, and a Republican Congress looks to Coolidge, then this isn’t divided government, this is a same-ideology marriage.

I have 6 letters for both parties:

ENOUGH.

You want to talk about choice…let’s talk about choice.

I want a choice on the ballot other than between the annihilation of collective bargaining rights for public workers (for political, rather that stated budgetary, purposes) and dead silence from the White House.

I want a choice other than between Republicans who want to investigate the toilet’s of women for evidence of fetal murder and Democrats who would pass health care on the backs of women’s civil rights and enable Republicans to use those rights to then further degrade them while distracting and avoiding doing anything on the economy.

I want a choice other than between a party that doesn’t even “believe” in evolution and climate change and another party whose president sat back and observed while oil and dispersant accumulated in our environment, ecosystem, and food supply in the “worst environmental disaster this country has faced.”

I want meaningful alternative to a politics that either actively scapegoats ordinary people as personally “irresponsible” or implicitly suggests it by asking them to “sacrifice.”

I want the choice between Medicare-for-All or a Swiss-style regulated healthcare system–not the false dichotomy between the so-called good Obama HCR and the perfect public option that we weren’t supposed to let be the enemy of Obama’s junk insurance mandate.

I want more than the options of libertarian “cut welfare to Israel…and kill public education” and Obama kowtowing to Israel and pushing corporate scheme of charter schools to accomplish what is supposed to be public and thereby a societal equalizer.

I want a choice besides Democrats who cave-by-design and Republicans who ram things through illegally.

I want a choice other than Republicans who would hold up people’s unemployment benefits and a Democratic president who won’t even mention poverty in his State of the Union address.

Enough with all these incredibly narrow options. Enough with being between Barack and a Rand place. America deserves real choices.

I think if we had more public officials doing right by their constituents, these officials would have been waiting 20 years to rant about the path that has led the US to rank dead last in a comparison of income equity and other measures while Australia ranks first:

20 Comments on “Rand Paul: He’s for a woman’s choice…of toilet”

1. If Repubs are going to do this kind of crap turning hearings on energy efficiency and environmental regulations into sexist, anti-choice tirade when all the libertarians are huge hypocrites themselves unable to tell the gov’t to get out of our uteruses, then well, we can turn their toilet tirade lemons into lemonade! /end rant

2. Minkoff Minx says:

I wish WordPress had a love button! So if the Dems don’t offer what we want, and of course neither do the Repubs and Libertarians, where can we go? It all is just too depressing. And here in Georgia, they are making abortions a thing of the past:
    Georgia to Essentially Eliminate Abortion

So only in hospitals can you get a legal abortion, if you can find a hospital that actually will do them on demand.

I got my answer from the State Rep about the miscarriage is murder bill. I am working on a post about it…but I just had to throw this new crap out there cause I just read about it and I am pissed.

Georgia abortion clinics shuttered under Senate bill  | ajc.com

Loudermilk also brought up — and the Rules Committee discussed and passed — Senate Bill 210, which says that any doctor who performs an abortion that has not followed a series of state stipulated actions, such as notifying parents of a minor getting an abortion or performing an ultrasound for the women, can be sued for wrongful death.

I feel like I am drowning in a sea of idiotic religious right rhetoric. Fuck ’em all! (I told ya I was pissed.)

• Fredster says:

Try this: ♥

Not the best but…

You use ampersandhearts;

• I’m pissed too. I hope DC chooses a toilet wisely because they’re all full of it! Flush the PLUBs!

psst.. (small voice)..the place where the middle and working class join together to demand our rights and social and economic justice–that’s where. This is about every other day besides election day… a way outside of that to hold whoever is president or party in power accountable.

• from the ajc link:

To put it in a nutshell abortions would be legal in Georgia, you just couldn’t get one,” said Janelle Yamarick, the community services director at Feminist Women’s Health Center of DeKalb County.

Oh, doubleplusgood that! Orwellian abortion.

Again I have to link Onion “Oklahoma Doctors Can Now Legally Pretend to Give Abortions” :

3. jmac says:

Republicans won the last election. Big. Too complain about both sides when your dealing with the likes of Rand Paul and Scott Walker? Right now we’re stuck with Obama. If a centrist steps forward to run, can anyone imagine that he will actually be center-left? It would be nice, but all I have to do is turn on Fox and view the other side – tonight John Stossel claimed only 12% of union members were in the middle class. Union members are the new elite?

• I reject the “stuck with Obama” mindset because Obama isn’t the point. This is about creating a meaningful space beyond the presidency for people to demand accountability. There’s no good governance without accountability. We’ve got to hold the Obama/Reagan-worshipping Dems (center-right), the GOP (far right), and the tea party (batshit right) all accountable or else we’ve already lost the argument. As long as we’re talking about Walker and public employee compensation, the RIGHT is winning the argument. It’s when we’re talking about the wealthcare bailouts, bonuses, and tax cuts for the wealthy that WE are winning the argument and to be able to talk about those things, we have to talk about Obama’s complicity in that.

• jmac says:

Obama/Reagan – that Obama is – George Walker Bush for sure. But the odds Reagan or Bush senior could win in the Republican party of today? Maybe the Republicans will put up an Obama – and we can all stay home. A centrist Republican just might work with a Democratic congress to pass Democratic measures. It’s happened before.

• I’m not thinking so much about election day and Obama vs. GOP choice which is going to pretty much stink unless Huntsman miraculously is the nominee. I’m thinking more about every other day and people joining together to protest and demand actual governance. If the movement and activism that’s been spurred by what’s happening in WI and other states continues to grow and people don’t return to complacency, then I couldn’t really care less who wins in 2012.

4. boogieman7167 says:

is randi in the twilight zone or something to-toilets heres the soluion its called a plunger.

5. Fredster says:

I can’t say I sympathize with (Ayn) Rand but I found a toilet that works (and not imported from Canada). This is what I’m getting to go into the repaired house, it’s something like the Flushmaster 2000 or whatever. It’s supposed to have a BIG flush! What he’s griping about are the low flush toilets. For awhile after they were mandated, people were getting the regular flush ones from Canada.

As far as light bulbs, I’m not thrilled with the cfl bulbs. I’ve got two 3-way stand lights I use for reading and they both take up to 150 watt 3 way bulbs. I haven’t found any of those in cfl so I’ve bought a *huge* number of incandescent bulbs. Those are the only 2 lamps I use the “regular” bulbs in. These eyes are old and I need the extra light.

Here’s the toilet!

6. Fredster says:

Live coverage on CNN now on the quake.

7. Fredster says:

Gawd they are showing the waves rolling in.

8. Pilgrim says:

I’m all for women and all their rights.

I also sort of sympathize with Rand Paul’s frustration about the unsatisfactory toilets.

• I just don’t think he should have mixed the two. A woman’s choice to abortion or not is about trying to achieve parity with the autonomy men have over their own bodies and decision-making authority over their own reproductive health. In the case of plumbing, he’s not getting any less or more choices than a lot of us generally speaking. Apples to oranges.

• madamab says:

He has a lot of nerve talking about how invasive and restrictive, environmental regulations are, when he wants to invade and restrict a woman’s physical body and restrict what legal medical procedures she is allowed to purchase!

The hypocrisy, it burns.