Mubarak’s “I am not Crook Speech”: He’s not going anywhere

Well, this is interesting.  It seems that Al Ariabia got it right and every one else–including the Public face of our

Not going anywhere, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture

CIA–was wrong. Mubarak says he’s going to be a figurehead and the Torture VP is going to do the official duties.

Live Blog from UK GUARDIAN here:

9.02pm GMT: No one in Tahrir Square is listening to the rest of the Mubarak speech. The chant is: “Get out, get out.”

“We will be dignified until the very end, may God preserve Egypt, may peace be upon you,” is Mubarak’s final remark.

No sign he’s leaving. The “I have been ignoring international pressure” line suggests this was a “I fight on” speech by Mubarak.

9pm GMT: Mubarak’s not stepping down, that much seems clear, although exactly what that means with his previous statements about the army implementing change isn’t clear.

Tahrir Square is going nuts, based on the live footage.

8.58pm GMT: “I have spent most of my life in defence of our homeland,” says Mubarak. “I have never succumbed to any international pressure…. I have my dignity intact.”

So he’s not stepping down, it seems.

8.53pm GMT: Mubarak says he’s asked for the amendment of articles 76, 77, 88, 93 and 181 of the constitution, and abolishing the controversial article 179.

Article 179 is the emergency law that has been a huge issue and a major demand of the protesters. The rest involve the powers and terms of the presidency but we’ll get more details later.

8.51pm GMT: Mentions that the reforms will be “implemented by our armed forces,” and on-going dialogue.

Talking about a “national dialogue” and a “road map that is very clear on a specific timetable … until September,” but follows this by talking about the various committees he has had set up.

I’m not sure more committees are going to cut it right now in Tahrir Square.

8.50pm GMT: Mubarak speaking: talking of a “smooth transition of powers” but not much detail yet.

8.49pm GMT: Mubarak reaffirms that he’s not standing for election as president and that power will be transfered to “whoever the electorate chooses in the new fair and square elections”.

8.48pm GMT: Mubarak speaking: mistakes were made, he says.

I can tell you that I as the president of the Republic I have to respond to your calls but I am also embarrassed, and I will not accept or listen to any foreign interventions.

8.46pm GMT Mubarak now speaking on state television.

I can tell you before anything else that the blood of your martyrs will not be wasted and that I will not be easy on punishing people who committed these crimes.

Says he will “respond to your demands and your voices” and carry our promises.

Is this an appeal to Egyptian people watching him from their sofas in their living rooms?  He still seems to think that the protesters are still foreign agents and upset young people.  What does he see as the difference between ‘delegating’ power and remaining in power?

President Hosni Mubarak addressed an expectant Egypt on Thursday, saying that he had delegated his powers to his vice president, Omar Suleiman, but would not leave the country,  according to NBC News translation.

Saying he was addressing Egypt’s youth and people in Tahrir Square and the nation, he said he believed in the honesty of the demands of the protesters and their intentions.

“I am addressing from the heart,” he said. “The blood of the martyrs and injured will not go in vain … My heart aches for your heartache.”

96 Comments on “Mubarak’s “I am not Crook Speech”: He’s not going anywhere”

1. Verbatim what Al Arabiya said he would say.

Oh and Wolf Blitzer is soooo stupid, the crowds began roaring for Mubarak to leave…

and Wolf’s instant reaction was that he’s confused why the crowd is exuberant over Mubarak’s speech.

CNN needs to let Wolf go. He’s really awful. Wedeman had to correct Wolf on the nonsense he’s been saying.

2. Live Tweet:

RT @Egyptocracy: #Mubarak just portrayed to the world what 30 years in power does to a person.

3. zaladonis says:

Anderson Cooper sounds like a fool, too.

I don’t understand why everybody’s so surprised.

People really have come to believe life is like a video game.

4. Fannie says:

I guess they (Panetta) got it wrong on him stepping down.

• The CIA isn’t going to stand for being made a fool like that.

• Fannie says:

Panetta made a fool out of himself by comparing CIA’S collecting and analyzing intelligence to predicting earthquakes”……

“People can tell you where the tremors are, they can tell you where the fault lines are, they can tell you what the past is, they can een tell if the threat of something happening is close. But they can’t tell you eaxactly when an earthquake is going to take place, he said.”

What the hell was he talking about the BIG ONE, cause we know every damn day in California we have earthquakes, you can go online and see them very clearly happening everyday, and for a long time now.

So hey, they’ve made mistakes before.

• Mistakes yes, they have made plenty on their own and then some, but this seems more like someone (Mubarak) deliberately crossing the CIA and the US, revealing America’s impotence.

5. I’m hearing Al Jazeera is wondering why the disconnect between the reports out of the military and media earlier vs. what came down later from information Minister, Al Arabiya, and then Mubarak himself.

6. I don’t think it’s a game or people see it that way… I think they’re genuinely and legitimately frustrated and outraged.

7. grayslady says:

About now, Egypt needs its own version of Alexander Haig to talk sense into Mubarak.

Mubarak keeps saying he will die in Egypt. Maybe he’s hoping for suicide by cop.

Suleiman is going to speak next.

Al Jazeera can’t understand why there is silence from DC. “You can hear the tumbleweed blowing in the wind.”

Don’t they know Obama is in Michigan sucking up to business?

The torturer speaks.

I dunno know if you’re watching anything on our own authoritarians but CPAC just gave Rumsfeld its Defender of Constitution award.

Also, some one shouted War Criminal at Cheney when he entered and has just probably won a trip to Egypt.

“The door is still open for further dialogue.”

That doesn’t sound like a very open door.

and now he’s telling folks to go back to work and stop the sedition

14. Live tweet on Suleiman remarks:

RT @JawazSafar: Sillyman: bla bla bla… bla bla bla.. I’m Mubarak’s bitch.. bla bla bla.. dialogue with my puppets.. bla bla bla.. #Jan25

This reminds me of the time I was one of nearly a million people in DC at a moritorium demonstration against the Vietnam war. Everyone was ecstatic, and then we heard Nixon was watching football.

16. grayslady says:

For some reason I am seeing numbers superimposed over the individual avatars. Is anyone else noticing this?

17. Live Tweet from techsoc (woman voice on Egypt)…chilling…

RT @techsoc: Now either Tahrir becomes Tienanmen or Mubarak becomes Ceausescu. #Egypt

18. paper doll says:

I see numbers and they are getting bigger….looks like it’s the number of the post response

It wasn’t going to be that easy…sigh. I remember reading that during the” talks”, no matter what was said….all the regime would say in response was read a statement they had already prepared….we saw that again today . It’s really up to the military at this point how this plays out .
    I have to think this poking the people with a sharpe stick is to create violence so the regime may crush it. Suleiman is saying I’m asking you to go home. Tomorrow I will compel you

The Egyptian ambassador to US is on CNN and he’s saying all the presidential powers were handed to the VP. He also says he heard that VP. The VP is acting president and has all authority of the Presidency under the constitution.

20. From the New Yorker Online, February 10th, 2011.

And Mubarak says…

[Cartoon: Saul Steinberg.]

See what I just said … the US ambassador is saying he handed all his powers over to VP … who is now in charge of the military and everything. VP has ALL authority now.

• I heard that… but I don’t think it makes any difference to the protesters.

I’m assuming they’ll be told some how. If they accept this situation, I have no idea. But they’re saying this is the way to do it within the Constitution.

No one can dissolve parliament right now. That’s the only power no one has.

VP can end martial law and controls military.

• This translation thing (seemingly?) being pushed by the Egypt ambassador is confusing… wouldn’t the protesters in Tahrir have heard Mubarak and understood what he was saying? Why would the translation be an issue for them?

• On Al Jazeeera English, they just said that powers being transferred to Suleiman won’t make any difference to the Egyptian people/protesters.

I can’t imagine the ambassador–being told to do so by the VP–is lying on world TV. Maybe Mubarak was fuzzy for some reason.

okay, so, a reporter on the ground is saying that the protesters know that but they don’t believe it and they don’t think it’s enough. One guy is thinking that it doesn’t sound ‘real’ to them.

• I don’t think he’s lying… just seems like they’re trying to spin this (as if everybody didn’t understand the nuance) to save face or cover their asses or something… it still sounds the same as what we understood earlier. Mubarak’s handing over power to Suleiman but he’s not stepping down.

• Yup as I thought—AJE now reporting that what the Egyptian ambassador was saying to domestic audience was just an attempt at damage control. Protesters didn’t need any translation. Egyptian ambassador was just trying to save US face here at home.

21. grayslady says:

From The Guardian live blog on Egypt:

Ewen MacAskill reports on the humiliation the White House has received from Mubarak, after Barack Obama’s speech this afternoon and various US officials briefing that he was stepping down:

The Obama administration was embarassingly wrong-footed Thursday when the Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak confounded expectations by refusing to leave office.

Mubarak’s speech came only hours after Barack Obama and the director of the CIA, Leon Panetta, appeared to give credence to the rumours that the Egyptian president was heading for the exit.

The Obama administration has been putting pressure on Mubarak since last week to stand down straightaway but Mubarak, in a televised address Thursday, said he would not bow down to international pressure, a direct snub to the US president.

Mubarak’s response provides a graphic illustration of America’s slow decline from its status as the world’s sole superpower, unable to decisively influence events in Egypt in spite of that country being one of the biggest recipients of US military aid.

Ouch!

Head of state is still Mubarak but the presidential powers have all gone to VP

Mubarak is president de jure.
    VP is de facto president.

VP has all presidential powers.

That’s what the US Egyptian ambassador to US has just told CNN.

• Egypt ambassador to US

That’s exactly what the Obama administration has been saying they want. So why are they humiliated?

Both the US and Israel want the torturer in charge.

• I’d guess they want Suleiman in charge on *their* terms, not on the Mubarak regime’s.

Some of them don’t want Suleiman there at all too. El Baradei was just saying it should be a caretaker government again. He’s also thinking this could incite violence tomorrow if the people think the army aren’t on their side.

• By some of them, who do you mean Kat? The protesters don’t want Suleiman, but the US and Israel really seemed to prefer him… their only concern has seemed to be whether they could control him to their satisfaction or not. I had seen some rumor, I think in the comments here over the weekend, that Israel and/or US was worried whether they could count on Suleiman when it came to negotiating with Muslim Brotherhood or something, but I don’t remember after that… whenever the obsession with Muslim Brotherhood comes up, I start tuning out.

I’m just listening to what the protesters near reporters are saying. They don’t want OS any more than MB so even though they understand that MB is not de facto president,it’s not satisfying their complaints. They think he’s just a proxy and can’t be trusted to do the actual transitions. That’s at least what the folks I’ve heard so far say to the reporters. They didn’t miss the transfer of power, they just don’t like the circumstances.

• I was just confused if you were referring to US/Israel or not by “them,” sorry. The protesters def. don’t want Suleiman… they’ve been protesting against him in their demonstrations for days.

23. paper doll says:

Head of state is still Mubarak but the presidential powers have all gone to VP

Does that make any sense out side of a shell game? Just asking

24. paper doll says:

I’m glad the people aren’t buying the Suleiman ruse…. It’s tweedledum and tweedledee.

25. TheRock says:

My Egyptian friends here at work say he is not stepping down because he is afraid of being prosecuted for all the money he stole. The penalty would be death….

26. From tweet handle TheNewsBlotter about 20 minutes ago:

There is a conflict of power currently in Egypt , a fight between army and Mubarak

in response to what looks like this tweet from handle Zeinobia:

did anyone notice that Mubarak did not mention the army in his speech ?

27. AJE: Protesters would rather have military in control than Suleiman or Mubarak.

28. I hear Obama is preparing a statement.

29. Minkoff Minx says:

Hey I have found one news person that is dumber than Wolf, and she is talking on Fox now…Judith Miller!

30. My reaction to Obama’s statement released just now… there’s a word for what he is….

31. Former CIA director James Woolsey on CNN: “Muslim Brotherhood blah blah blah” Good grief.

32. SGardinier LATimes on DC split: Clinton Gates pro-Isrl Ross 4 Suleiman, NSC BenRhodes who wrote Cairo speech & SamanthaPower think this bad idea #Jan25

• Obama’s advisors split on when and how Mubarak should go: White House aides acknowledge that the differing views among Obama’s team of advisors has resulted in a mixed message on Egypt.”

From the link:

Reporting from Washington —
      The Obama administration’s shifting response to the crisis in Egypt reflects a sharp debate over how and when Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak should leave office, a policy decision that could have long-term implications for America’s image in the Middle East.

After sending mixed signals, the administration has appeared to settle on supporting a measured transition for easing Mubarak out of power. That strategy, which remains the subject of vigorous debate inside the administration, calls for a Mubarak crony, Vice President Omar Suleiman, to lead the reform process.

According to experts who have interacted with the White House, the tactic is favored by a group of foreign policy advisors including Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, national security advisor Thomas Donilon and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, who worry about regional stability and want to reassure other Middle East governments that the U.S. will not abandon an important and longtime ally.

But that position has been harder to defend as Suleiman and other Mubarak allies appeared to dig in, refusing the administration’s entreaties to undertake swift reforms such as scrapping the country’s longstanding state of emergency. On Wednesday, Suleiman warned ominously of a coup unless the unrest ended. That prompted White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs to fire back that the Egyptians should “expand the size and scope of the discussions and the negotiations and to take many of the steps that we outlined yesterday — one of which is lifting the emergency law.”

Suleiman’s behavior reinforced the arguments of another camp inside the Obama administration, including National Security Council members Ben Rhodes and Samantha Power, which contends that if President Obama appears to side with the remnants of Mubarak’s discredited regime, he risks being seen as complicit in stifling a pro-democracy movement.

I’m sure everyone remembers when Samantha Power called Hillary a monster.

I agree with Samantha Power on Egypt. Unfortunate to see Hillary be on Obama’s bad cop team, which is what the above reads like to me.

• It sounds like another house of cards/ cover-potus-ass move. Split Obama WH up into good cop, bad cop camps to facilitate the “weather vane” movements of O going where the wind is already blowing.

• jillforhill says:

Why are you suprised Wonk? Everyone knows Hillary has always been hawkish on national security and foreign policy,she voted for the Iraq invasion.

If anything happens to Israel or they feel they are in danger,who is going to get blamed. The one who will get blamed is Hillary “the monster,anti-democracy,pro-dictator” Clinton. Bibi hates Hillary because of Bill and would love to screw her over. All the “liberals” everyone loves like Anthony Weiner sent Hillary a letter stating that if the UN blames Israel for anything,she should say the UN is wrong and walk out. If she does not say the USA loves Israel every two hours they throw a temper tantrum.

If something goes wrong which one of these people will get blamed:

1.Obama-the messiah
        2.Ross-Obama’s best bud
        3.Susan Powers- Obama’s best bud,anti-Hillary
        4.Gates-republican
        5.Hillary”who hates egypt and loves murbak”Clinton whose husband is now labeled a racist to this day by Obama’s friends(susan powers)

I agree with Susan Powers too,but I also know where Hillary and Gates are coming from because they are responsible for Israel. Hillary would have to answer for what went wrong not Powers who does not answer to any.

Or maybe Powers was right and Hillary really is a monster.

• I’m NOT surprised. I still don’t have to like it or agree.

• I love Hillary, but she’s not doing the right thing supporting Suleiman.

• jillforhill says:

I agree 100% with you Wonk. Hillary may not does she is wrong,becasue she is looking at it froma different perspective and has to make sure everyone is pleased. Israel will always come first and that will not change anytime soon or later.

If we want are middle east policy to change,we need to elect people who will stand up to AIPAC. Pressure may come from Israel,but more pressure comes from the people we elect.

• Sadly, I think a lot of well-meaning and gullible people supported Obama wholeheartedly in 2008 thinking he was the one to stand up to AIPAC.

Obama can stand up to a fly and swat it, but that’s about it.

33. jillforhill says:

I don’t agree with or like what Hillary is doing with Egypt. But please answer my question if something goes wrong who will get blamed.

Susan Powers has a different perspective from Hillary because she does not have to answer to anyone,Hillary has to answer to every foreign government and try to please all of them. Hillary has to listen to Bibi whine and basically call her an anti-semite because she does not wear an I Love Israel sign 24 hours a day. Some people believe Bill is a racist,so what makes you think people won’t believe Hillary is an anti-semite. Normally Obama has to answer to every government,but guess what since is the messiah he gets a pass. So it falls on Hillary.

• jill, can you please go back and read what I said? All I said was that it’s unfortunate to see her be on his bad cop team. I’m not surprised at all. I *get* that she’s between a wimpy Barack and a suck place. I’m not even angry with her as much as I just feel bad. You say if something goes wrong in terms of Israel, she’ll get blamed, but Hillary is going to get blamed for supporting Suleiman, too. And, I can’t say that I could blame people who’d take issue with her for that. They don’t have loyalty to Hillary and this isn’t about Hillary. It’s about the Egyptian people. Suleiman is not an acceptable replacement.

• jillforhill says:

I agree. She should and will get blamed for support the tortuer. But she is willing to take that blame and not the blame if something goes bad with Israel. I would love to ask her why she would do that.

As you said, it is not about Hillary,Obama, or Powers. It is about the people of Egypt and what they want and need. I hope tomorrow goes great for them tomorrow.