Airing of Gratitudes Open Thread

Graphic from Dakini Creations Art and Gifts: Art From and For the World

What a better way to start off a New Year than by offering thanks to all the people, things, actions, efforts, and means we have! There’s never enough occasions for some  good old fashion gratitude!  Yup, some times you gotta gripe!

But, other times you just gotta show some appreciation.

From dakinikat:

I’m really fortunate to have some really great people in my life.  My dad is my best buddy.  My sister comes through when no one else will.  Eldest daughter has right livelihood down to a T and that gives me much joy.  Youngest daughter has figured out that there is life beyond the party zone and that lightens my spirit.  I’m also blessed with a sangha and a dzogchen guru. Then there’s my friends–like you–that keep my head on straight and right-sized for my body.

Yup, the gratitude in me goes out to all the good people in my life! What would I do without you?

A message from Wonk the Vote:

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust

Brava and much gratitude to everybody at Sky Dancing — no relentless distractions on the frontpage and no gratuitous food fights constantly hijacking the comments. Just content, content, content, collaboration, and community! I’m raising my glass to all of you —

So raise your glass if you are wrong,
in all the right ways,
all my underdogs,
we will never be never be anything but loud
and nitty gritty dirty little freaks
won’t you come on and come on and raise your glass,
just come on and come on and raise your glass

Love,
Wonk

37 Comments on “Airing of Gratitudes Open Thread”

1. Branjor says:

Not to be ignorant or anything, but what exactly is “right livelihood”? Making your livelihood doing the right thing? I’ve never heard the expression before.

Yes … it basically means that you earn your living by doing something that adds value and positive karma and merit. It’s a Buddhist precept.

• Branjor says:

Ah, I see. Working for Goldman Sachs would not be “right livelihood.” It’s a funny expression – sort of like “right reason.”

2. Branjor says:

There are things in my life to have gratitude for, but I just don’t feel it much right now. I just have more of a wish, or a hope. I hope I’ll still be functioning by this time next year.

May I respectively suggest this might be part of the problem?

• Branjor says:

Well, it might not have occurred to you that failing to “push” me when I am not feeling up to it will *not* result in my deciding to stay stuck where I am (no, that place is *not* comfortable for me), but I guess I can think of a few things to be grateful for. I’m grateful for having had both of my parents for as long as I did, I am grateful for having had my dogs Brandy and Jordi, I am grateful for my physical health and ability to walk, dance and play athletics, though the latter two are getting a little limited by my arthritis, and I am grateful for the people who have reached out to me since my father’s death.

Hi Kat,

Thanks for sharing your gratitude list.

I’m grateful to be sober today, and every day since May 10, 1982. That is the foundation for everything I have done since. I’m very grateful to have been able to return to college to to earn a Ph.D. I’m grateful to have a place to live for now and that I have loving family and friends in my life.

I’m grateful to still have my mom with me and to have had my dad until this year.

I grateful to have been able to be a part of my nephews’ lives. They are so precious to me. I’m grateful to have learned that giving to others is far more rewarding than focusing on myself.

I’m grateful that we’ve been able to do so well with Sky Dancing, and I’m very grateful for all the people who are writing for the front page and for all our commenters.

There are so many more things I’m grateful for, but those are the main ones.

You’ve really had a rough year and yet you have such a great foundation that you have so many precious things standing. You are one strong hearted woman!

• 0utis says:

Stong hearted and an inspiration! What a wonderful post BB. It brought tears to my eyes.

My gratitude to everyone here. The amazing posts are so fast and furious, I can hardly keep up. And such substance, you leave all the others in the in dust. I don’t get a chance to comment very often but I do try to keep up reading. I’m a silent fan!

4. Minkoff Minx says:

I am grateful for the quiet there is in this house full of people. The rain tinkling on the tin roof is magical. I am grateful that even though my husband and I have gone through hell and back, I still love him and we are still together after 19 years. I love my kids, and I am proud of them, they are beautiful and loud! I am glad that we all have each other and this house that my Daddy built, seven family members in one house…two families, and up until we lost my Nana this summer of 2010, four generations together. I am glad that my kids were so close to their great-grandmother. And that they live with an uncle who has a disability…my brother has Down Syndrome. I think it makes them more aware of the needs that some people have, and that family is the most important thing. We may fight and argue and really get on each others nerves, but we stick together no matter what, we support each other and protect each other and stand up for each other. It is a good thing.

5. paper doll says:

Thanks to dakinikat and her fabulous frontpageres!

Here’s a funny example of right livelihood. My sister and I, as a sort of joke, years ago out lined a restaurant concept called “Fatsos” …where everything was a gazillion calories, over sized greasy goodness and we would have a nurse on call etc The idea was to go against what people SAID they wanted…because in their almost clogged hearts what they really wanted was the deep friend onion blossom with the blue cheese dressing of course …it would have been a big success and I see the folks behind heart attack cafe ran with it….but it wouldn’t be right livelihood making sacks of cash while clogging other sentient beings arteries …even if they decided to clog them up …sigh .

6. I’ll keep it simple: I’m grateful for my family and friends and for the night sky. I was able to get away from city limits during the holidays and the sky was so beautiful and clear. Made me feel like sky dancing 🙂

7. Sima says:

Tonight as I made dinner (chicken creole) I chopped extra ‘trinity’ vegetables for my parents and sister. Just a few weeks ago, Mom didn’t need that kind of help, but now she does. I made chicken creole for her and Dad and Sis as well, and I cried. I thought to myself how I just wanted to run away from it, from Mom’s worsening disabilities and understandable deep depression, from my Dad’s increasing frailty, from my sister’s autism. They’d all understand if I just up and went to England, told them I had some archaeological work, and then never managed to make it back… Mom never wanted it to be like this, she told me so on the phone just this afternoon.

And yet, Christmas dinner was grand. Mom talked and laughed (yes, she was highly medicated against the pain, but she was there!), my sister grinned and grinned. My Dad watched it all like the cheshire cat. My friends have been embraced and have embraced us as family. My partner was in his element, cooking up a storm, managing the presents and the treats and all the festivities. It was marvelous.

Maybe there won’t be many more. Maybe there will. I’m grateful for the joy we’ve had in the past couple weeks. I’m grateful that I took Mom with me to England the last time I went to study, and we got to be roomies together and she got to be an un-Mom for a while. I’m grateful that my partner and my father are best friends and real help-mates. I’m grateful that I have new family in my close friends.

My little red dog’s eyes are bright, wet and gentle with love as she looks at me. She reminds me of her Aunt, who died a year ago last November. Time changes all things as it moves on, we all grow old, wither and die. I’m grateful I can take that journey with my parents and family, even when it scares me to the core and makes me cry over the chopped onions.

I spent the last week getting the seed orders for the farm ready. Spring will come soon, the ground is already quickening, and our does are nuturing babies for late April. I’m grateful for that too, for the rhythm of nature and the seasons. It’s been very cold the last few days, never getting above freezing. Cold enough we pulled the plough out of the muck we’d got stuck in due to the unseasonable rain. Mother nature came through!

I’m grateful for Sky Dancing, a place to learn and share and grow. I’m grateful for the sun coming up tomorrow.

8. Fannie says:

I am grateful that my son is giving the gift of his kidney to his father who has Chronic Kidney Disease. The expression of his love for us, and the offer to help him live a longer life, is something I am very very grateful for.

9. Zaladonis says:

I’m grateful for my grandparents, who died many years ago but without them I wouldn’t be here today and they are with me still.

For my partner, we’ve been together nearly 20 years. The depth of a gratitude, for me anyway, has some roots in context, and without boring with details I’ll just say the last thing I expected was to be coupled this way, for this long, into mid-life. I only wish I were less damaged so I could be a better partner to him.

Grateful for our dog Nick. We’ve had lots of animals with us along the way, loved them all. Nick is a bit different, a magical creature, a big bear of an angel sent to multiply our happiness and divide our grief. I think we’d not have made it intact the past five years without him.

I’m grateful for a roof over my head, food and a place to cook it, a warm bed. I know what it is to be cold and wet and hungry on the street. Every night I pull the covers to my chin, every night, I say, “thank you.” And mean it.

And I’m grateful to Kat and bostonboomer and everyone else here. Since first jumping into a political discussion online in the early 90s, Sky Dancing is the kind of place I’ve hoped to find. There were times I really enjoyed some contentious arguments with Republicans during the Clinton and Bush years, and back then even when we disagreed liberals and I were on the same side. Since 2008 conversations with liberals (or anyway people who oppose Republicans – I think a lot of them actually don’t understand or don’t care about Democratic/liberal/progressive principles) has too often been like a mean-spirited f’d up family, rather than people who are glad to be in each other’s company even if they don’t agree about everything. I’m very grateful to you; like my grandparents and my partner and Nick, you make me want to be a better person.

I’ve just awakened to read some very moving comments and now I’m all verklempt over my coffee. Thank you for sharing these. They’re absolutely inspirational.

11. joanelle says:

What a great bunch of folks, here Sky Dancing – I’m grateful to have found you all and to have gotten to know some of you over the last two and a half years.

I didn’t even know what blogging was when I stumbled into TC – and learned so much about current economics from Kat.

I’ve also learned not to take much for granted as our colleagues in Australia, Europe, and Asia have enlightened us with their take on things. Thanks for that.

This little blog expands my world every day – gives me a balanced view of what is going on both good and bad.

As we gathered for dinner yesterday my younger son talked about “resolutions” I turned to my six year-old granddaughter (his child) and asked what she thought the new year had in store for us. Her response was so perfect, “I don’t know grandma.”

Let’s have as much fun as we can and enjoy each other’s company as we learn together in 2011.

• We don’t know – we can guess, hope, plan, and aim for certain things resolve to do better, but as that old saying goes: “Man plans and God laughs.”

You reminded me of this tune–Regina Spektor, “Laughing With” (you have to listen all the way to the end to get to the laughing *with* part):

12. Riverbird says:

I’m grateful for the front-page posters and the commenters. Thanks for being here.

I’m grateful for my internet connection that lets me keep in touch with family and friends. I’m glad to have the means and ability to move again this year, correcting a mistake I made last summer when a carefully planned relocation back to my home state turned out to a be a big FAIL.

13. janicen says:

I am grateful that my daughter survived a potentially fatal condition thanks to the brilliant healthcare workers who identified and treated her condition swiftly. I’m grateful to all of the friends and family to sent their prayers and wishes in support. I’m grateful for my wonderful husband whose gentle yet unconditional love makes every day a joy. I’m grateful that we are weathering the difficult economic times, despite some setbacks, better than so many other families who are struggling just to keep their homes. Finally, I’m grateful to be able to come to this blog and be informed, inspired, and educated by the posters and commenters who share their wisdom in a non-judgmental way. Thanks to all of the Sky Dancers!

14. Delphyne says:

Oh, these writings are just so beautiful – thank you for sharing them!

I’m grateful to be alive on this beautiful Earth – in spite of some of the horror I see or read about, there is so much beauty if one takes notice. Not always easy when overwhelmed with circumstances – but it’s there just outside of the circumstance and, sometimes even within the circumstance.

It’s a pleasure to read the posts and comments here – for that, I am grateful.

15. HT says:

What beautiful inspirational words from everyone – thank you for sharing. I very grateful that my daughter survived a car accident on New Year’s Eve relatively intact except for bruising and muscle pain (The car was totalled). I’m grateful she called my son, and he drove right out to pick her up (she couldn’t reach her husband). I’m grateful for my daughter’s in-laws who were there for her. Her mil is with Emergency Services, so had the EMTs notified and reporting back to her. I’m grateful for my family, friends and loving animals that shower me with love.

What lovely writing from everyone here! Kudos to all, and please keep writing, all.

Thank you to Dak, BB, Wonk, and all the other FP writers and inspiring, questioning, fact-finding, opinion-stating and resilient commentators. You help keep me sane and thinking!

Gratitudes also for: this lovely planet and the section on it in which I live, which right now has clear cold sun, snow on the mountain ranges, and waves sparkling on the cold Puget Sound water, and seals barking, which I can hear from outside my house when they get vociferous.

For my health, which allows me to enjoy moving in the outdoors.

For my job, which allows me right livelihood and the privilege to care for people and their health, and that I still have a job, and for my colleagues who are often friends and mentors, and for my patients from whom I learn much.

For my furry home companions who give me love, snuggles, playfulness.

For my parents at their best, though my father has been gone for a few years, and my mother just placed on hospice. They taught me to read before formal schooling, and were Scroogish about TV viewing; thank the dieties for that.

For my mind, that I continue to think, analyze, compare, contrast, understand, create, and to annoy and aggravate those who are rich, powerful and callous.

For my husband and other friends who give me love and resiliency.

For Dharma teachers and friends, who teach and give compassion, lovingkindness, insight, and equanimity.

Wow, I finally found time to read all the way through this thread. I feel so positive and hopeful after reading all your inspiring words.