Saturday Reads

President Obama after being injured while playing basketball

Good Morning!! You probably heard the top story on all the commercial and cable networks last night. President Obama got a split lip from a flying elbow while playing basketball Friday, and needed 12 stitches.

The White House has identified the person whose elbow injured President Barack Obama during a pickup game of basketball on Friday as Rey Decerega, who works for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute.

Decerega had better watch his back. He did manage to do a little public sucking up:

The White House also released a statement from Decerega, NBC News said: “I learned today the president is both a tough competitor and a good sport. I enjoyed playing basketball with him this morning. I’m sure he’ll be back out on the court again soon.”

Perhaps that will help. Good Luck Ray Decerega!

U.S. officials are freaking out over the upcoming release of diplomatic documents by Wikileaks. According to The Independent:

Frantic behind the scenes wrangling was under way last night as US officials tried to stem the fallout from the expected release of up to three million confidential diplomatic communiques by the Wikileaks website.

Over the past 48 hours, American ambassadors have had the unenviable task of informing some of the country’s strongest allies that a series of potentially embarrassing cables are likely to be released in the coming days….

Downing Street yesterday confirmed that the US ambassador in London had already briefed the Government on what might be contained in the files. Similar meetings were also reported in Turkey, Israel, Canada, Denmark, Norway and Australia.

[MABlue here]
abc has more on the “Big Freakout”. there must really be some unsavory stuff in that report. Apparently, most of the stuff comes from Bradly Manning.
Bracing for WikiLeaks’ Release of Diplomatic Documents, State Department Warns Allies

Senior U.S. officials warn that the next round of WikiLeaks documents would be considerably more damaging than the two previous WikiLeaks document dumps.

“This is outrageous and dangerous,” a senior U.S. official told ABC News. “This puts at risk the ability of the United States to conduct foreign policy. Period. End of paragraph.”

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff also weighed in today, telling CNN he hoped these kinds of leaks will eventually be plugged.

According to op-ed commentator Jerome Taylor: This is a public airing of Washington’s dirty linen

What makes the release of diplomatic cables so potentially explosive is that they could cover a vast spectrum of information that America and her allies would like to keep secret. Cables are the diplomatic equivalent of dirty linen that no country wants to see aired in public. “Diplomatic cables might talk about political instability inside the country – there could be information about secret deals, weapons agreements, talks with dissidents, all sorts of things,” explains Yossi Mekelberg, an expert on Israel-US relations at Chatham House. “But cables are not policy papers. When I read cables I’m often surprised at how gossipy they can be.”

The informal nature of such missives has the potential to cause some serious red faces in capitals around the world.

The U.S. has now been in Afghanistan longer than the Soviet Union was.

The last Red Army troops left Feb. 15, 1989, driven out after nine years and 50 days by the U.S.-backed Afghan fighters known as mujahedin, or holy warriors. Ragtag yet ferocious, they were so spectrally elusive that the Soviet forces called them dukhi, or ghosts. A fitting term, perhaps, for a country that has been called “the graveyard of empires.”

Aren’t you proud to be an American? And our empire hasn’t even collapsed like the USSR’s–yet.

And history twists back on itself. In the Soviets’ war, the United States armed and aided the mujahedin; in this one, Russia is increasingly cooperating with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Moscow agreed this month to let the Western military alliance take armored vehicles through its territory. Last month, Russian counternarcotics agents went along on a joint NATO-Afghan drug raid.

It’s all so pointless…and yet it’s destroying us.

And what about Korea? Is our Nobel Peace Prize-winning President going to get us involved there too? It doesn’t look good:

The joint military exercises the US will conduct with South Korea’s navy on Sunday, off the Korean peninsula in the Yellow Sea, are taking on added significance as a message-bearer to North Korea, following Pyongyang’s shelling of the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong on Tuesday.

The Pentagon is quick to point out that the naval exercises are “defensive in nature” and that similar events have been held frequently. But US commanders also acknowledge that this joint exercise is a pointed reminder to the North of US military strength and America’s allegiance with South Korea. The US announced the exercises after the artillery barrage of Yeonpyeong, home to South Korean military bases and a small civilian population.

George Washington University law professor Jeffrey Rosen has an article in the Washington Post in which he argues that the TSA’s naked body scans and “enhanced pat down” searches are unconstitutional. Interestingly, he cites a 2006 decision by then circuit court judge Samuel Alito:

…Alito stressed that screening procedures must be both “minimally intrusive” and “effective” – in other words, they must be “well-tailored to protect personal privacy,” and they must deliver on their promise of discovering serious threats. Alito upheld the practices at an airport checkpoint where passengers were first screened with walk-through magnetometers and then, if they set off an alarm, with hand-held wands. He wrote that airport searches are reasonable if they escalate “in invasiveness only after a lower level of screening disclose[s] a reason to conduct a more probing search.”

As currently used in U.S. airports, the new full-body scanners fail all of Alito’s tests. First, as European regulators have recognized, they could be much less intrusive without sacrificing effectiveness. For example, Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport, the European airport that employs body-scanning machines most extensively, has incorporated crucial privacy and safety protections. Rejecting the “backscatter” machines used in the United States, which produce revealing images of the body and have raised concerns about radiation, the Dutch use scanners known as ProVision ATD, which employ radio waves with far lower frequencies than those used in common hand-held devices. If the software detects contraband or suspicious material under a passenger’s clothing, it projects an outline of that area of the body onto a gender-neutral, blob-like human image, instead of generating a virtually naked image of the passenger. The passenger can then be taken aside for secondary screening.

Rosen concludes:

…there’s good reason to believe that the machines are not effective in detecting the weapons they’re purportedly designed to identify. For U.S. courts, that’s yet another consideration that could make them constitutionally unreasonable.

Broadly, U.S. courts have held that “routine” searches of all travelers can be conducted at airports as long as they don’t threaten serious invasions of privacy. By contrast, “non-routine” searches, such as strip-searches or body-cavity searches, require some individualized suspicion – that is, some cause to suspect a particular traveler of wrongdoing. Neither virtual strip-searches nor intrusive pat-downs should be considered “routine,” and therefore courts should rule that neither can be used for primary screening.

The only question is whether the Supreme Court will stand up for individual rights or continue to accede to the executive branch’s demands for more Presidential power.

I’m going to end with a funny, but pretty realistic, satirical piece from The Onion: Frustrated Obama Sends Nation Rambling 75,000-Word E-Mail

The e-mail, which was titled “A couple things,” addressed countless topics in a dense, stream-of-consciousness rant that often went on for hundreds of words without any punctuation or paragraph breaks. Throughout, the president expressed his aggravation on subjects as disparate as the war in Afghanistan, the sluggish economic recovery, his live-in mother-in-law, China’s undervalued currency, Boston’s Logan Airport, and tort reform.

According to its timestamp, the e-mail was sent at 4:26 a.m.

“Hey Everyone,” read the first line of the president’s note, which at 27 megabytes proved too large for millions of Americans’ in-boxes. “I’m writing to you because I need to clear up some important issues. First and foremost, I want to say that this has nothing to do with the midterm elections because I was going to send an e-mail regardless of the outcome. However, I guess one could argue that, in the end, the midterms are an important measure of a president’s overall success, though I wouldn’t go so far as to call the results a referendum. Legislatively, I feel I’ve had a lot of success that I think history will judge quite favorably. I mean, pretty much every modern president has seen his party lose seats during a midterm, you know?

Go read the whole thing. It’s really funny, in an lolsob kind of way. Oh…and Fox News published the Onion story on their website without identifying it as satire.

[MABlue’s Saturday picks] It’s all about real life crime and investigation.
From Vanity Fair: The Case of the Vanishing Blonde

After a woman living in a hotel in Florida was raped, viciously beaten, and left for dead near the Everglades in 2005, the police investigation quickly went cold. But when the victim sued the Airport Regency, the hotel’s private detective, Ken Brennan, became obsessed with the case: how had the 21-year-old blonde disappeared from her room, unseen by security cameras? The author follows Brennan’s trail as the P.I. worked a chilling hunch that would lead him to other states, other crimes, and a man nobody else suspected.

Apparently, the Chandra Levy case is not resolved: Reasonable doubt in the Chandra Levy case

How reliable is the conviction of Ingmar Guandique for the 2001 murder, when the key evidence is a disputed prison confession?

There’s a debate going on about the goodness of religion between Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens. By all accounts, Hitch won the 1st round yesterday.
Hitchens defeats Blair in Canadian religion debate

What are you reading this morning?

86 Comments on “Saturday Reads”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Hello and morning…I think today is going to be a busy day (news wise) I just saw this over at Daily Mail:

It has a lot of information, and really shows that this leak is serious…

Corrupt politicians named and shamed. I have no problems with that. I guess we’ll find out why Obama doesn’t like Gordon Brown too. LOL.

• Woman Voter says:

I still don’t believe it was Bradley, the amount and the level of the leaks seem way beyond his capabilities and therefore I have come to my own conclusion that it has to be someone that has seen some thing so egregious that they leaked part and parcel.

I mean look, these wars are bankrupting the working people, not only in the US, but in other countries and the only ones making money on these wars are Cheney/Bush connected friends and the ultra rich. Now, Nobel Peace Prize Obama is about to enter into troubled waters with North Korea and will this be our THIRD WAR, a war that could engage CHINA?

I still would want to know what on Earth is in that ‘insurance file’.

• Woman Voter says:

rixstepnews Rixstep News
      by Twiitsy
      Contents of the recently removed Spiegel article on #WikiLeaks release http://is.gd/hSuQm (via @LizLemonCologne)

I will hold my instinctive guess that it was someone high up in the government and not Bradley especially since some of the ‘diplomatic’ docs go back to 1966, albeit the vast majority are 2004 onward. Der Spiegel has removed the Sunday release according the this tweet.

Any thoughts?

• Minkoff Minx says:

This was also something I find interesting…it is written by Max Hastings (a historian)

“We claim that we want our rulers to be honest, but in reality modern politics is ringed by a vast minefield of Things We Know, But Are Not Allowed To Say.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1333542/Whatever-happened-freedom-speech.html#ixzz16Vlf6RGF

I wonder if most of the stuff in these wikileak cables is going to be something that everyone knows, or accepts, but does not say….Anyway, the article does not mention anything about the upcoming leaks.

“Yet within politics, freedom of speech is more drastically constrained than ever before. Seldom have those who govern us been so much inhibited in what they feel able to say or write, not by legislatively-imposed censorship, but by a smothering blanket of supposed propriety and oppressive liberal values.”

So read it for what it is worth…it is just that I was reading it, the thought came to my mind, that these leaks may not be any startling new revelations about what people in the State Dept think about other countries, and their leaders/politicians. It just may be stuff that everyone knows but won’t mention aloud.

2. Pips says:

O.M.G!
    [Whiping tears from face and screen]
    That piece from The Onion! It’s hilarious!
    😆

• Minkoff Minx says:

I love that little rascal, I have to tell you HT that this book I am reading, is not a typical “biography.”

http://www.peterlorrebook.com/ The Lost One A life of Peter Lorre by Stephen D. Youngkin

His interviewed sources, which are staggering, give more than the typical fodder for biographies. They analyse not only Peter Lorre as an actor or an intellectual, it goes deeper than that. This book succinctly discusses Lorre and his style of creating characters that have sort of a dual soul or presence about them. Youngkin is a fantastic writer, and I am truly enjoying his book.

Another real good book about Hollywood is written by Budd Schulberg: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAschulberg.htm
      Moving Pictures: Memories of a Hollywood Prince
      (Actually anything that Schulberg wrote is wonderful.) I would highly recommend this book as well.

The book about Peter Lorre sounds fascinating. I’d also love to read this new biography of Erroll Flynn.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I have to check out that Erroll Flynn one. I have wanted to know more about him since seeing “My Favorite Year” with Peter O’Toole. His character in the movie is based on Erroll Flynn, and the time he came to do Sid Ceasar’s TV show. Mel Brooks was the writer who had to babysit Flynn…so yeah thanks for that link BB.

• HT says:

OMG, I though I was the only one who knew about that movie – I love it. O’Toole is priceless As is Mark Lynn-Baker as his keeper. I didn’t know it was based on Flynn though. Time to rewatch it.

• Minkoff Minx says:

It is one of my favorite movies HT. I love that line when Benji’s old Aunt comes to dinner with the movie star and walks through the door, wearing her wedding dress.

“Sadie you look beautiful, what a lovely dress.”

“You like it, I only wore it once.”

• HT says:

Minx, the sword fight – a drunken O’toole lurching around with a sword. Jeesix I love that movie – but I also loved High Spirits, another little known O’Toole film (comedy).

• paper doll says:

MM , thanks for this round up within a round up…both books sounds fascinating !

• Minkoff Minx says:

Your welcome, they are both real good reads…I think you will enjoy it.

They really have Obama’s rambling style down, don’t they? No wonder he needs a teleprompter!

• talesoftwokitties says:

I love the Onion! Last two paragraphs were perfect.

3. HT says:

Good morning. Great roundup, and Minx, that’s quite an article.
    I meant to ask you last night, what book are you reading on Peter Lorre, and is it good? I always liked that little rascal.

4. Branjor says:

I’ve read this more than once, with never any details given to back it up. In what way are they not effective? What weapons get through?

• cwaltz says:

Here are some of the details.

Apparently the scanner can not detect powder or liquids which are often used to create bombs.

• Branjor says:

Thanks, cwaltz. If it catches cell phones and knives, but not powders and liquids, then it seems that mere metal detectors would be just as effective.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Ah, but then there would not be those flattering centerfold like pictures to leak to the http://WWW….

Actually, I read something this morning about scanners in use over in Amsterdam (I think) that use radio technology, so they are not like x-rays. I have to look for the link, and post it.

• Branjor says:

Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam has scanners which use radio waves and if anything is found the part of the body it is found on is highlighted over a mannequin rather than an image of the passenger’s naked body.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Yup that is it…and the radio waves do not emit the radiation, like our scanners do.

• Minkoff Minx says:

I am an idiot, here I was looking for this article I read…with a link to this Amsterdam scanner with radio waves, and it was in this post by BB…wow.

The info on those far more effective, and less intrusive, Amsterdam scanners — which BTW are made with USA ingenuity & technology — has been out for a while.

Odd why the MSM hasn’t picked it up more. Or is that sheer coincidence based on directions from their corporate masters?

A scientist on Keith Olberman last week demonstrated that you could get a large package of explosives through the scanners. You just have to put it in a round package. The scanners detect sharp edges only. They also can’t penetrate skin, so can’t detect anything in a body cavity or that has been swallowed. Cavity searches of every passenger next?

• cwaltz says:

It’s all pretty ridiculous because the bottom line is that unless you intend to fully probe every person boarding the plane thoroughly there is always going to be a chance that someone can do some damage.

• Branjor says:

Thanks. Glad to finally get the details on this.

• Woman Voter says:

Well, yes, but the scanner’s CEO rode on the plane with Obama and Michael Chertoff former Homeland Security Chief is now rolling in $$$$ in less than two years, telling others about the ‘holes’ that (BTW he didn’t fix when in charge) can be penetrated.

TSA’s Nude Scanners, Former Homeland Security Head Chertoff, and How Our Government Works

How our government works:
        1) Get a position in the government.
        2) Hype up some scare and advocate a solution to it
        3) Sell/convince the government on your proposed solution, leave your government position, and partner up with the company that provides that same solution.
        4) Sit back and enjoy your new money.

Michael Chertoff, while he was the Head of Homeland Security under Bush, advocated and pushed for installation and implementation of these new full-body scanners at our airports. Once he was out of “public service”, Chertoff’s consulting company (Read: Lobbying Company) landed as a client (Surprise!), Rapiscan, the company that makes the scanners. He is now a much richer person, I’m sure. There are multiple links to info about Chertoff and the scanner company. Below is a bit from rightpundits:

One point noting is that the Naked Scanners are not the best, the best have been in use in Europe, but Michael Chertoff isn’t mentioning those because there isn’t any money to be made by him.

5. Branjor says:

Love this from Isabella F –

First they came for the Muslims’ junk
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Muslim.
    Then they came for the blacks’ junk
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t black.
    Then they came for the women’s junk
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a woman.
    Then they came for my junk…
    …and I kicked up a huge fuss and demanded that they cut it out because it was infringing upon my freedom and goddamimit you should listen to me because I’m a white dude and I and I alone have domain over my junk.

• purplefinn says:

Funny! Yet, I am glad he did “kick up a fuss.”

I don’t think it’s really fair to say that he doesn’t care about the rights of other groups besides white men. Not according to what I’ve read about Tyner. I think it’s a shame he is being smeared on all sides.

It’s more of the *divide and conquer* propaganda that aids the rich and powerful and hurts ordinary citizens.

• Branjor says:

It’s not just Tyner. It’s the entire phenomenon of how big a deal privacy and bodily integrity has become, even with the right wing, only now that it’s white men’s which is threatened.

6. HT says:

Minx, thank you. That book is definitely on my winter reading list. Who could not love Peter Lorre? Even in his later most banal, trite movies, he shone. BB, I’ll check out the Errol Flyn book as well. Good reading for the cold nights in front of the electric fake fire!

Bob Herbert on the class war:

Even as millions of out-of-work and otherwise struggling Americans are tightening their belts for the holidays, the nation’s elite are lacing up their dancing shoes and partying like royalty as the millions and billions keep rolling in.

Recessions are for the little people, not for the corporate chiefs and the titans of Wall Street who are at the heart of the American aristocracy. They have waged economic warfare against everybody else and are winning big time.

8. janicen says:

MABlue, thanks for the link to the Case of the Vanishing Blonde in Vanity Fair. It reads like an episode of NCIS. Thank goodness for that detective’s tenacity.

Yes, that was a great article! Thanks, MABlue.

• mablue2 says:

BB,
        I knew you would like the story.
        You write yourself like a very good crime beat reporter.

• HT says:

Was fascinated by the article as well. It makes one wonder how many cases go under the radar. We have over 500 missing aboriginal women in Canada, going back 50 years. Cases have never been solved – we even have a Highway of Tears where a suspected serial killer is working even today. And how about that Picton pig farm.

• Branjor says:

Hmm. Brennan. Cop. Long Island. That rings a bell with me. It was either that guy or his son I met. He was tending bar in Montreal in the early 1970s.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Yup, I enjoyed that read…thanks MAB.

9. juststoppingby says:

A commenter on the Globe & Mail forum suggested as an alternative to the scans/searches – and he actually asked readers not to laugh – that the airlines lock us in our seats for the duration of flights.

He had it all worked out. Although, he didn’t mention whether he thought we should be cuffed to the armrests.

Well, the snow has started to fly, which is really unfortunate as I’ve been in bed for 8 days with the flu and have missed my window of opportunity to take care of a ton of outdoor stuff. I’ll be out in my toque today planting bulbs, and that may be all I accomplish ’til Spring.

Have a great day, everyone!

(@ Sima: We can finish our garden talk tomorrow maybe, yeah? I really appreciate your interest in helping me!)

• janicen says:

Isn’t the best method using explosive sniffing dogs? I’d rather be sniffed by a dog than exposed to x-rays or groped by a TSA employee, and I think dogs would be much cheaper than scanners. Oh wait, no corporation could make billions of dollars if trained dogs were used. Never mind.

• paper doll says:

Exactly and a timely bomb couldn’t be easily planted either…nah, dogs are off the table . They would work! And where would the ever new no bid contracts come from if stuff worked?

• HT says:

just, take care of yourself and bundle up if you’re going out back. Just got back in from a milk run and it was hailing heavily.

• Sima says:

@juststoppingby Yes, we can garden talk tomorrow or whenever :).

10. paper doll says:

Great round up! Thanks for the Onion link…always good for a huge laugh…the production values are just like “real news” ! How do they do that money wise?

As for WikiLeaks …let all the poisons hatch out…but my concern is that after a few pearl clutching days, it won’t make a difference… I was shocked over Thanksgiving how much troop glorification was going on TV. It would have been nice if is was about the troops…but it was about normalizing and glorifying our leading export, War Inc and hiding behind the troops to do so. If they really gave a damn about the troops, they would get them the hell out and not make them pay for their own gear and heath care….so perhaps who ever is behind WikiLeaks is trying to stop a military take over of the US…the powers that be might want to by pass even the Bush family… and go to the Nuremberg option straight up ….Lord knows . More likely its a bombardment between warring factions of the Upper Crust…THAT war they take very seriously .

• Woman Voter says:

I agree, someone, up on high saw some thing, and decided to spill the beans, as I don’t believe Bradley did all this (millions of documents) and they had a concern about the lack of checks and balances, given that these WARS were never declared under the constitution as so written and had a fear of WAR escalations going forth into a THIRD WORLD WAR.

Some of the our teens today have never known what it is to not be at WAR, only it has been sanitized via BUSH and now Obama in not letting the American people see the horrors of War and never allowing the coffins of American soldiers to be seen.

11. Woman Voter says:

via

WL Central An unofficial WikiLeaks information resource
    2010-11-27: “The Embassy Files”ready for launch [Update 1]
    Submitted by admin on Sat, 11/27/2010 – 16:13

Der Spiegel: Q & A: What the diplomatic cables really say

Der Spiegel has posted a Q&A about the ‘Embassy Files’ release. Among the details:

* Included are 251,287 cables and 8,000 diplomatic directives
    * One cable dates back to 1966, but most are newer than 2004
    * 9,005 documents date from the first two months of 2010
    * Der Spiegel, The New York Times, The Guardian, Le Monde and El País have had access to the files and reviewed them.

None of the documents are classified ‘Top Secret’, but only ‘Secret’ at the highest classification rating. This was also confirmed by Politico’s White House correspondent Mike Allen on Twitter, quoting the US administration.

According to Der Spiegel, just over half of the cables are not subject to classification, 40.5 percent are classified as “confidential” and only six percent or 15,652 dispatches as “secret.” 2.5 million U.S. employees have access to SIPRNET material, where these cables originated.

A graphical representation of the worldwide distribution of the cables appears on the Spiegel site.

Der Spiegel is expected to go live with the full edition at 22:30 Sunday, local time.

The documents are in the millions??? Holy Smoke, but someone had a lot of time on their hands or developed a ‘super worm’ to retrieve the information and then a ‘super inscription code’ for transport. It boggles the mind, really, it really does.

12. Woman Voter says:

While SOS Hillary R. Clinton is busy doing clean-up, our Nobel Peace Prize President was busy playing basket ball and got coverage for his 12 stitches and was not doing any PEACE WORK or Diplomatic talks. The only talks he cares about is with Simpson and how the Cat Commission can STEAL MONEY FROM SOCIAL SECURITY so they can get into another undeclared war.

13. Woman Voter says:

BB & MaBlue,

Great round up…still reading… 🙂

14. jillforhill says:

Family Research Council now officially a ‘hate group’

They say they’re not. Let’s let the Family Research Council’s own words speak for themselves (I did the research for this page I’m linking to, and all the links were live at one time – they’re for real):

Gays will recognize pedophiles as prophets

“…one of the primary goals of the homosexual rights movement is to abolish all age of consent laws and to eventually recognize pedophiles as the ‘prophets’ of a new sexual order.” – “Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys,” FRC publication, July 1999, http://www.frc.org/misc/bl057.pdf

Gays are pedophiles, and want to promote youth promiscuity

“There is a strong undercurrent of pedophilia in the homosexual subculture. Homosexual activists want to promote the flouting of traditional sexual prohibitions at the earliest possible age….they want to encourage a promiscuous society – and the best place to start is with a young and credulous captive audience in the public schools.” – Robert Knight, Family Research Council, http://www.frc.org/insight/is93f1hs.html

Columbine killers might be gay/bisexual

“What Are The Media Hiding?….the media have been slow to give a full profile of the killers -avoiding any mention of their alleged bisexuality as reported by several students….Matt Drudge describes them in his report as ‘gay, jock-hating, confederate flag-wearing, goth rock & Marilyn Manson loving, white supremacist, fingernail polish wearing, Hitler birthday celebrating outcasts’….One student shortly after the attack said they were militant ‘gays’ who were retaliating against jocks. Another student said on NBC’s Today Show that the trench coat kids bragged about being bisexual… No American news outlet has reported that bi-sexuality could have played a part in the tragedy.” – FRC’s “CultureFacts”, April 21, 1999, http://www.frc.org/culture/cu99d3.html

Matt Shepard, and gays generally, will not inherit the kingdom of God

“homosexuals are included in a list of sinners, who, if unrepentant, will not inherit the kingdom of God.” – Family Research Council press release about Matt Shepard’s funeral, on the day of the funeral, October 16, 1998, http://www.frc.org/press/101698.html . The release implied that a gay person who had not yet become, or tried to become, an “ex-gay” was “unrepentant.”

Matt Shepard compared to a drunk

” ‘They create a climate and environment of intolerance and give license to those who seek to vent their rage or frustration on an entire community,’ Human Rights Campaign executive director Elizabeth Birch said Wednesday, addressing a Washington rally attended by the likes of actress Ellen DeGeneres and Alan Simpson, a Republican former senator from Wyoming. Ms. Farish vehemently rejects such allegations. ‘Don’t blame AA because a drunk was beat up,’ she said.” – Heather Farish of the Family Research Council, quoted in the Dallas Morning News article, “Why now? Other gays have been victims of brutal attacks, but the slaying of a Wyoming student has caused a national outcry,” by Brooks Egerton, October 17, 1998.

Gays are deviants

“Homosexuals have never been forced to sit in the back of the bus. They are as privileged a group as any. To compare their attempts to affirm deviant sexual conduct to the legitimate discrimination claims of true minorities is a sham,” said FRC Director of Cultural Studies Robert H.
    Knight – FRC’s CultureFacts, July 28, 1999, http://www.frc.org/culture/cu99g4.html

Gays hate God

” is the opposite of love for God. It is a rebellion against God and God’s natural order, and embodies a deep-seated hatred against true religion.” – THE ASSAULT ON CHRISTIANS BY THE MILITANT HOMOSEXUAL MOVEMENT, by Steven A. Schwalm, Family Research Council, http://www.frc.org/podium/pd98j2hs.html

Gays oppose Christianity

“Militant homosexuality is fundamentally opposed to religion, family, and anything that presupposes a natural moral order, a transcendent God, or something else higher than ourselves. The activist homosexual agenda and worldview are fundamentally incompatible with Christianity or any form of true religion, because homosexuality is ultimately narcissism” – THE ASSAULT ON CHRISTIANS BY THE MILITANT HOMOSEXUAL MOVEMENT, by Steven A. Schwalm, Family Research Council, http://www.frc.org/podium/pd98j2hs.html

Comparing gay Christians to Satan worshippers

“Religious Right groups went on the attack against President Clinton after Rev. Troy Perry, a gay minister, was included among the 120 religious leaders taking part in an ecumenical breakfast at the White House. Family Research Council’s Robert Knight said, ‘We are witnessing the Administration’s moral meltdown. What’s next? A memorial to Church of Satan founder Anton LeVay?’ ” – People for the American Way Web site, http://www.pfaw.org/news/press//show.cgi?article=903565

Homosexuality can kill you

Gary Bauer: “involvement in homosexuality can kill you. It can kill you emotionally, it can kill you physically, and it can certainly kill you spiritually.” – Oct 16, 96 – Family Research Council Web site, http://www.frc.org/net/st96j3.html

Gays spit on Jesus

“Homosexual activists who once asked for tolerance now show no tolerance or sympathy for Christians whose sacred symbols they defile. They are totalitarians who accuse everyone that disagrees with them of “hatred.” Even as they masquerade under the banner of tolerance, they spit on the most sacred Person revered and worshipped by millions. They mock our religious symbols, deride our beliefs, and even desecrate our churches and sacraments. ” – – THE ASSAULT ON CHRISTIANS BY THE MILITANT HOMOSEXUAL MOVEMENT, by Steven A. Schwalm, Family Research Council, http://www.frc.org/podium/pd98j2hs.html

Lesbians hate men

“hatred for men, which is very typical of a lesbian experience” – Kristi Hamrick, FRC, Oct 16, 96, Family Research Council Web site, http://www.frc.org/net/st96j3.html

Gays think they’re exempt from God’s rules

Robert Knight: “one of the bigger lies that is told about the lifestyle is that somehow homosexuals are different from the rest of us, that they have an exemption from the responsibility to live by the rules of nature and nature’s God that the rest of us have.”- Oct 16, 96 – Family Research Council Web site, http://www.frc.org/net/st96j3.html

Homosexuality is a “life destroyer” – destroys families, shatters hope

Robert Knight: “The sexual revolution, of which homosexual activism is a key part, has laid waste to countless lives, destroyed families, and shattered hope for people who have been cast adrift into a deadly carnival of excess. It’s time to reaffirm the permanent things of marriage and family and sexual sanity. It’s time to throw people a life preserver instead of a life destroyer, which the homosexual subculture surely is.”- December 1997 Address at Harvard, http://www.frc.org/podium/pd97l1hs.html

Gays are diseased, die early, and are less productive than heterosexuals

“homosexual behavior is extremely unhealthy, contributing to the spread of AIDS, hepatitis A, B and C and other sexually transmitted diseases….A study of more than 6,400 obituaries in homosexual publications reveals that homosexuals typically have far shorter life spans than the general population. Other reports indicate that homosexuals are more likely to have drug and alcohol abuse problems. It is unfair to force businesses to pay the extra insurance expense and lost productivity that inevitably results from homosexual behavior.”
    – Robert Knight, Family Research Council, testifying at ENDA Hearings, July 29, 1994 – committee on Labor and Human Resources, US Senate.

This is a “war” against “destructive” homosexuals

“…wage the war against the homosexual agenda.” – From the Web site of Bauer’s Family Research Council, which calls homosexuality “destructive”, source: Time magazine, Oct 26, 1998.

Gays hurt people, families and communities

“homosexual behavior hurts people, families, and communities.”- Robert Knight, March 1997 speech, http://www.frc.org/podium/pd97clhs.html

Gays are security risks

“homosexuals are a security risk” – http://www.frc.org/insight/is95d1hm.html

Gays embrace culture of death, risk well-being of all society

“Those who practice homosexuality embrace a culture of death. They risk their lives as well as their mental and spiritual well-being….a band of radical activists, many of them highly placed, put the well being of all society at risk to satisfy their craving for approval.” – People for the American Way, “Hostile Climate,” 1998, p. 9.

Gays are after children

“Homosexual activists have made such strides in gaining acceptance that now they feel the final frontier is the children. That’s been the goal all along: get the next generation.” People for the American Way, “Hostile Climate, 1988, p.9.

More on gays are after children

“Homosexuals say they don’t want the children, but boy they put a lot of energy into going after them.” – Robert Knight of FRC writing in a Focus on the Family newsletter, quoted by People for the American Way, “Hostile Climate,” 1997, p.15.

Lesbians drink, do drugs, or are hateful

When asked “Do you think most lesbians, when they first get involved in lesbianism, think it’s wrong?”, Yvette Cantu of the Family Research Council responded: “Yeah, you know it’s wrong. And then you either drink or do drugs to get past those feelings of knowing it’s wrong, or you blame it on society and become aggressive and hateful. Those are your options.” – AFTAH Web site interview, http://www.americansfortruth.org/ycc_interview.html

Lesbians are dysfunctional

“What people commonly call “dysfunction” is everywhere in the lesbian community. Once I went to this party at someone’s house, and none of the women there drank because they were all alcoholics. So it ends up that this is a dry, AA lesbian poker party. I thought, “What am I doing here? This is crazy. Why do I want to go to a dry poker party?” I don’t even know how to play poker. This is weird.” – AFTAH Web site interview with FRC’s Yvette Cantu, http://www.americansfortruth.org/ycc_interview.htm

Gays don’t like children

“To me, thinking that a gay couple would even want to adopt a child is bizarre I can’t imagine them wanting that kind of responsibility. The homosexuals I knew who had been married before had already dumped their kids on their ex-wives, and were perfectly happy to see them two weeks out of the year! If they had children, what would happen when they were too busy having their sex parties?” – AFTAH Web site interview with FRC’s Yvette Cantu, http://www.americansfortruth.org/ycc_interview.htm

Gays don’t support monogamy, child-rearing, family values

When asked about gay Americans who support monogamy, child-rearing and family values, FRC’s Yvette Cantu responded: “I want to know who’s saying this, besides HRC … Is it the men in the gay bars and bathhouses taking a look at their lives and saying, ‘We need to settle down, pull together a family and live normally?’ No, the only people who are saying this are the activists who are trying to gain special rights for homosexuals. They’re saying, ‘Look, if we play it right we can get the special rights we want. Stop making us look bad.’ But the people who are ‘making homosexuals look bad’ are pretty much the entire male homosexual subculture.”- AFTAH Web site interview with FRC’s Yvette Cantu, http://www.americansfortruth.org/ycc_interview.htm

Lesbianism akin to eating off the floor

“You don’t have to eat the stale crumbs off the dirty floor, which is basically what lesbianism is.”- AFTAH Web site interview with FRC’s Yvette Cantu, http://www.americansfortruth.org/ycc_interview.htm

Gays are after children

“Gaining access to children has been a long-term goal of the homosexual movement.” – “Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys,” FRC publication, July 1999, http://www.frc.org/misc/bl057.pdf

Gays only pretend to oppose pedophilia

“In the United States, homosexual activists are more circumspect about their efforts to gain access to children…homosexual activists publicly disassociate themselves from pedophiles as part of a public relations strategy”- “Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys,” FRC publication, July 1999, http://www.frc.org/misc/bl057.pdf

Gays are 33% of child molesters

“they constitute about a third of child molesters.” – “Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys,” FRC publication, July 1999, http://www.frc.org/misc/bl057.pdf

Gays commit 80% of child molestations

“it is estimated that approximately 80% of pedophilic victims are boys who have been molested by adult males.” – “Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys,” FRC publication, July 1999, http://www.frc.org/misc/bl057.pdf

More on gays only pretend to oppose pedophilia

“The homosexual rights movement has tried to distance itself from pedophilia, but only for public relations purposes.” – “Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys,” FRC publication, July 1999, http://www.frc.org/misc/bl057.pdf

Gay relationships are unpure, perversion of God

“Hanes said what has struck him most about married life is its purity — a quality, he said, that is always lacking in homosexual relationships. ‘It wasn’t until my marriage that I understood what a gift from God this really is, and what a perversion of God’s ideal homosexuality is.’ ” – FRC’s CultureFacts, June 23, 1999, http://www.frc.org/culture/cu99f4.html

Gays may destroy American family

“Legally destroying the exclusive territory of marriage to achieve a political end will not provide the real benefits of marriage to homosexuals, but it may be the blow that the shattered American family does not survive.” – Kristi Hamrick http://www.frc.org/net/st96d2.html

Gays are like a gun to the head of America

“That’s what we’re talking about whenever you’re talking about gay rights. You’re talking about giving somebody a gun to put at the head of anybody who disagrees with them, whether it’s the Boy Scouts, whether it’s a local dry-cleaning establishment or a giant corporation like Shell Oil.” – Robert Knight, http://www.frc.org/net/st96d2.html

Gay parents lead to prison, voyeurism

“I know a guy who has just entered jail, tragically, because he grew up in a lesbian household. He still loves his mother and doesn’t really blame her, but he said, ‘You know, as a boy in a lesbian environment where it was intensely anti-male’ — that’s all he heard, this bitterness toward men — he said that he felt totally disenfranchised, began having sexual problems. He eventually became a voyeur, and he is in on a peeping Tom charge. He was so curious about how normal people have sex. We have other people that are cases like this.” – Robert Knight, http://www.frc.org/net/st96d2.html

Homosexuals in the bedroom

“Homosexuals do not do what mom and dad do in the bedroom. They don’t provide children the role models that mom and dad do” – Robert Knight, http://www.frc.org/net/st96d2.html

Gays against home, family

“Homosexual and lesbian activists have made it clear in recent days that they are in this fight to change the world — from one that values and cherishes home, family, and heterosexual marriage as the cornerstone of society to one that says anything goes.” – Kristi Hamrick, http://www.frc.org/net/st95l1.html

Gays are about promiscuity, violence

“Homosexuality is not merely about a harmless personal preference. It is about a lifestyle that involves having sex with another person of the same gender. More often than anyone would like to admit, it’s about promiscuity — and even violence. It is about unnatural, unsafe, and unhealthy behavior.” – http://www.frc.org/ie/ie98j.html – Laurel L. Cornell

Gays are tragic misuse of sexuality

“Homosexual behavior is a misuse of sexuality that has tragic consequences for individuals, families and communities.” – Robert Knight, http://www.frc.org/podium/pd97l1hs.html

MORE:

• Woman Voter says:

It is no wonder that Hate Crimes against Gays (LGBT) are up and continuing to rise, especially when the ‘Christian’ leaders don’t speak out against the hate.

• Branjor says:

Jill4hill, all your links lead to pages not found.

It’s amazing how much energy some put into defaming gays and lesbians. Don’t they have anything better to do?

15. mablue2 says:

[Ed. note]
    Jill4Hill,

I rescued your comment from the Spam folder, but it landed automatically in the Pending folder. It’s just wayyyyyyy too long. It’s over 2,300 words and I guess WordPress has a tough time with extremely long comments.

I just don’t have the time to edit it.

Try keeping your comments at reasonable length.

16. Joanelle says:

well, my cousin sent me this solution and hey, it may have some real applicability.

WONDER WHY NOBODY THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE??? MAYBE ALL THE NEW SENATORS, GOVERNORS, ALL U.S. AIRLINES… ANY AND EVERYONE WHO “CARES” SHOULD HEAR THIS AND FIND SOMEONE TO INVENT IT!!!

Here’s a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at the airports:

All we need to do is develop a booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you,
    but will detonate any explosive device you may have hidden on or in your body.

The explosion will be contained within the sealed booth.
    This would be a win-win for everyone.
    There would be no racial profiling and the device would eliminate long and expensive trials………

This is so simple, it’s brilliant!!!!

I can see it now: you’re in the airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion.
    Shortly thereafter, an announcement comes over the PA system,
    “Attention standby passengers, we now have a seat available on flight number…

• HT says:

Brilliant, I really like that solution.

• Woman Voter says:

That would be a clever device indeed.

• soupcity says:

Great idea! It is brilliant, but not too much money to be made for some former (insert any name) gov’t security expert or private security (insert any name) firm.

And as dak says, what about some more dogs for cripes sake?

Like we used to say at work, (when I still had a job) “if it makes sense, you’re doing it wrong.”

I think using dogs is just too low tech and common sense for them. For pete’s sakes they’ve got dogs that can smell cancer now and even bees they’ve trained to find explosives. Any or these are better than being assaulted or bombarded by Xrays.

17. Joanelle says:

I agree, but you know my cousin’s suggestion not only identifies the perpetrator but also eliminates them at the same time – that’s gotta save money too!

That pic of Obumbles looking flabbergasted and p-o’d as he holds his split lip is priceless. Twelve whole stitches — itty bitty plastic surgery quality sutures to minimize scarring. Can’t have Mr. HopeNChangeTM scarred.

Now the rest of us small people would not have been rushed into the attentive hands of a surgeon capable of doing facial suturing quite so fast. Assuming we had coverage, that is.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Rey Decerega, works for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute…what was that slip Obama had about Latino’s voting against their “enemies.” Payback is a bitch….

19. Boo Radly says:

BB – what a juicy thread! Back to reading more.

20. Boo Radly says:

Thanks for the article MaBlue.

21. lake lady says:

Whew! Here you all are! I kept checking The Confluence for you and wondering what happened? Had to email Wonk and she told me where to find you.

I have never been a big commenter but I love reading boston boomer and dakinikat. In fact I depend on danikat to explain economics and boomer for her sage thinking.

Glad I found you!

22. jillforhill says:

Sorry about the links not working. Here is the link that shows what sick and hateful people the family research council are.

23. HT says:

Hey lake lady – welcome to the best site in town (speaking from a personal perspective of course) – Where’s Wonk? She doesn’t really fit in where she is right now. Hope to see her soon.