Thursday Reads: Thanksgiving Day

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a wonderful day today.

Even though the news has been discouraging for a long time now, we probably all have something to be grateful for. I know I do. I’m going to share some of what I’m grateful for today, and I hope everyone who comes around to to our “little blog that could” today will do likewise.

First, I’m very grateful today for all of you who have helped us get up and running these past few weeks!

Most of all, I’m grateful for my family. Although we lost my dad in March, we are fortunate to still have my mom with us. I’m grateful to have close relationships with my two brothers and two sisters. I’m grateful for my nieces and nephews and my grand-nephew and grand-niece. Children are our future, and I’m fortunate to have a chance to help make it better for them.

I’m grateful to have had the chance to pursue my education in the second half of in life. I’m grateful for my mother-in-law, who was there for me when I needed a place to live after my husband and I split up. I cared for her for 18 years, and I’m very grateful to have had her in my life, and all that I learned from her. Because she gave me a place to live, I was able to return to college and eventually earn a PhD in psychology. I’m also grateful for the state and federal government help I received during the time I was in school.

I’m grateful that I’ve been sober since May, 1982. If it weren’t for my sobriety, I wouldn’t have any of the other things I’ve mentioned. I was very fortunate to be able to turn my life around beginning 28 years ago.

As you know, I’m not that happy with how things are going for our country right now. I think our political establishment is beyond corrupt and that corrupt corporations are ruining our country and perhaps the world. I’m so thankful for the internet–without the ability to communicate with other people and share my anger at our political system, I don’t know how I would have survived. So I’m very grateful to many bloggers and commenters who have helped me know that I’m not alone in my anger and frustration.

Here are a few events in today’s news that I’m grateful for:

Texas Jury Convicts Tom Delay on Money Laundering Charges

DeLay was found guilty of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering, court bailiff Gilbert Soto said. He was accused of funneling $190,000 to help elect Republicans to the state House and Senate in 2002.

At the outset of the trial, DeLay predicted the jury would clear him, and he remained unrepentant after learning the verdict..

“This is an abuse of power. It’s a miscarriage of justice,” DeLay told reporters. “I still maintain that I am innocent, that the criminalization of politics undermines our very system, and I’m very disappointed in the outcome. But you know, it is what it is, and we will carry on and maybe we can get it before people who understand the law.”

More like this, please.

HIV Prevention Pill A Big Development in Communities of Color

A new study by the National Institutes of Health suggests that a pill, known as Truvada, may be able to prevent HIV infection for gay and bisexual men. Host Allison Keyes talks with Dr. Jonathan Mermin of the Centers for Disease Control and Adolph Falcon of the National Alliance for Hispanic Health about the drug and what it could mean for communities of color which are disproportionately impacted by HIV/AIDS in the US

You can listen to the interview at the link.

Nations band together to save tigers, eye comeback by 2022

The wild tiger population is less than 4 percent of what it was a century ago, and leaders in 13 nations are taking a stand against the poaching and habitat destruction that have decimated the majestic predators’ numbers….

With the conclusion of a high-profile summit, attracting guests as notable as actor Leonardo DiCaprio and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, governments and conservation groups pledged $327 million with the goal of doubling the wild tiger population by 2022….

Poaching, illegal trade and habitat destruction have forced the animal to the brink of extinction, according to the Global Tiger Initiative, which estimates that wild tigers exist today in less than 7 percent of their historic range.

“I am confident that we will look back on this day as a turning point in the effort to save one of the world’s best-loved animals,” World Wildlife Fund Director Jim Leape said.

The St. Petersburg, Russia, summit featured leaders from all 13 countries where tigers still live in the wild: Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Russia, Thailand and Vietnam.

U.S. prepares for new Wikileaks release

As with past document dumps by Wikileaks, U.S. officials expect that major international news outlets have been provided the documents in advance and that their news stories about what the documents contain will be published around the same time that the website reveals its cache of documents.

The White House and State Department are concerned because the documents may contain negative remarks made by U.S. diplomats about corrupt foreign leaders.

Army Pvt. Bradley Manning was arrested in June and charged with leaking a classified video of a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack in Baghdad that killed several civilians. There has been speculation that Manning also may have been the source for the Iraq and Afghanistan military intelligence reports released by Wikileaks.

He also may be the source of the State Department cables, because prior to his arrest Manning boasted in e-mails to a former hacker that he had passed along thousands of diplomatic cables to Wikileaks.

I’m sorry that some people in the government will suffer embarrassment, but the best disinfectant is sunshine.

Expert-Networking Worker Arrested for Insider Trading

U.S. prosecutors Wednesday arrested an employee of an “expert networking firm” on charges that he promoted the firm’s services by arranging for corporate executives to leak inside information to hedge funds.

According to a complaint unsealed in Manhattan federal court, prosecutors claimed that Don Ching Trang Chu, also known as Don Chu, who worked at California-based Primary Global Research, had arranged for hedge funds to get tips on companies including Atheros Communications, Broadcom Corp and Sierra Wireless.

The arrest comes amid a wide-ranging probe by U.S. authorities into potential insider trading at hedge funds, mutual funds and expert networks.

Great. Now let’s hope he rolls on the higher ups and the feds bust them too.

Trading Inquiry Widens to Big Firms

Federal authorities, intensifying an insider-trading investigation, are demanding trading and other information from some of the nation’s most powerful investment firms.

Hedge-fund giants SAC Capital Advisors and Citadel LLC, big mutual-fund company Janus Capital Group Inc. and Wellington Management Co., one of the nation’s biggest institutional-investment firms, have received subpoenas from the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office seeking trading, communications and other data as part of a broad criminal investigation, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation also recently questioned an account manager at Primary Global Research LLC, a California company that provides “expert-network” services to hedge funds and mutual funds, people familiar with the matter say.

Such expert-network firms set up meetings and arrange calls between traders seeking an investing edge and current and former managers from hundreds of companies. The FBI is seeking information about a Primary Global consultant and his hedge-fund clients, these people say.

What are you grateful for today? Feel free to share your news links as always, and have a terrific Thanksgiving Day!!!!

53 Comments on “Thursday Reads: Thanksgiving Day”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Happy Thanksgiving BB, I appreciate your honesty and thankfulness for the things in your life that made a difference…or helped you succeed and flourish in life as time passes. I am glad that this little blog that could is off and running…

I wanted to post a link to some sort of historical aspect of Thanksgiving, and before I went looking for some information…this came through on my reader:

“In celebration of the Thanksgiving holiday, the National Women’s History Museum has released, “A History of Thanksgiving,” a short video that explores the origins of the festival and the special role that Sarah Josepha Hale, the “Mother of Thanksgiving,” played in establishing the holiday.”

As for me, I am thankful that my family was there for me and my husband and my children…and that even though living together can be a challenge, and we want to strangle each other sometimes…we at least have a roof over our head, and the support of each other during these dreadful times.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, may you eat enough turkey to “choke a pig!”

Have a great day, Minkoff Minx. I’m glad you have your family all around you. I know things have been tough for you lately. As I get older, I realize more and more that family is the most important thing to me.

2. HT says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope you are all in a warm place, surrounded by loved ones and eating great food to your heart’s content.

3. Branjor says:

I’m glad you’re grateful for so many things, BB.
    What about your daughter?

4. mablue2 says:

Happy Thanksgiving BB, DK and all the Skydancers.

There’s no such thing here but my daughter always insist I make a turkey because she wants to keep the spirit of the holiday even if we’re a gazillion miles away from home.

5. juststoppingby says:

I’m grateful our Thanksgiving allows us more than a month between turkey holidays. 🙂

So, has everyone on the planet but me already read this?:

When I arrived at this awesome woman’s little blog and saw there were 44,088 comments on this post, I rubbed my eyes a couple of times…

but yes, her blog post went viral.

No, I hadn’t seen it. Thank you. {crying}

• juststoppingby says:

My heart just swelled when I read this. I was so incredibly proud of her, a person I don’t even remotely know.

• Branjor says:

Hmm. Nothing against it. He should be able to wear dresses and skirts all the time if he wants, as far as I’m concerned. But the important thing is that little girls should *never* be forced to wear dresses.

6. janicen says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. BB, you brought tears to my eyes with your touching rundown of everything you are thankful for. Thank you. It’s wonderful to have a special day to remind us to reflect upon so many things. I would list the things I’m thankful for, but I’m so sentimental, that it would be a huge list. I would like to say that I’m am thankful for this blog and for the brilliant and talented posters and commenters. Even if I’m too busy or preoccupied to comment, I’m lurking and getting enlightened and entertained. Thank you all.

7. juststoppingby says:

Oops, where are my manners?

Happy Thanksgiving to all !

8. bluelady says:

Yessss! I’m also grateful Tom Delay was convicted- couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
    And more of the insider trading stuff- just hope it’s not only the smaller fish who get caught.

And to the little blog that could- you guys rock, as my offspring would say.

9. juststoppingby says:

“”This is an abuse of power. It’s a miscarriage of justice,” DeLay told reporters.”

Oh, BUG OFF, Tommy!

10. LJSNAustin says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Sky Dancers, and thank you BB for your very moving post this morning. Yes, family becomes more and more dear as I get older.

11. Boo Radly says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am grateful for pithy witty front pagers I have enjoyed for years and their faithful followers.

Thanks for sharing some more of your life experiences with us today BB. In the past Dak has also shared and I learn how strong we women really can be. I seek knowledge and those who demonstrate balance in life. I am grateful for the internet as it is my only source now for clear communication. Thanks to you all for contributing to my sense(right or wrong) of well being……. Have a wonderful day.

Nerdyapplebottom is an awesome human being!

12. Joanelle says:

My husband gave me a hug this morning as we woke and said “Happy Thanksgiving, I’m most greateful for you!” Boy, how can you beat that? We’re married over 46 years and dated 4 years before that – really best friends forever – my honey suffers from a dibilitating ailment and has lost the sight in one eye a coupld of years ago – so life has been tough for him these last 30 years.

But, you know, Love does conquer all. We have fun together, we have two beautiful, smart and funny little grandchildren and two sons and a daughter-in-law who love us and whom we love dearly.

I put myself in the “semi-retired” category because although I started up my consulting firm when I opted out of a long-time sales role with an international non-profit that was getting more and more stressful the year before the finanacial bottom fell out; business has been very slow. I’m very grateful for whatever buisiness does come my way.

And actually I’m discovering new, exciting skills I have that I never had time to explore before.

I am also very thankful for having found TC shortly after it started, as I never would have been able to get through the primaries or the election without the great folks I found there. I have come to think of both you and Dakinikat as wonderful sources of sane, solid information and humor; and in fact colleagues. One of these days we need to meet face to face.

My tagline on my emails is something I made up in a workshop I was giving and became a tenet of my beliefs: Face to face discussion is the spark that lights creativity.

I hope that all Skydancers at this little blog that could have much to be grateful for – Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you Joanelle. I’m also very grateful to have found TC back in early 2008. There are so many wonderful people that I’ve interacted with on the ‘net over the past three years–it has been a great experience.

I’m so glad you and your husband have a happy life together. Have a wonderful day.

13. Zaladonis says:

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

14. Delphyne says:

Happy Thanksgiving Kat, BB, Sima, MABlue and all of the commenters! I’m grateful for your blog, your posts, your comments – such a sane place to be in this day and age!

Boomer, your post is so honest and beautiful – thanks so much for sharing your gratitude list with us.

In spite of all of the weird and strange political events, it is a wonderful life and I am grateful that I’m alive to experience it and still see the Beauty that is here and that is Planet Earth.

15. Seriously says:

That was beautiful, bb, and I loved every single one of those links. Awesome way to start the day. It’s absolutely freezing, and I’m grateful I get to go inside where it’s warm. Happy Holidays.

Ex-Obama Campaign advisor arrested for soliciting a minor for sex.

17. purplefinn says:

Happy Thanksgiving, BB, Dak, mablue, and ALL!

Thanks for a great post and all of the goodwill, BB. I saw “Fair Game” last week. Locally a woman is fighting back against an egregious school board member. I am grateful to those who stand up to bullies.

I am also grateful for the opportunity to rake leaves, prepare for winter and anticipate spring.

Thank you for sharing those, purplefinn. I’m grateful for being able to do yardwork too.

Have a wonderful day today!

18. foxyladi14 says:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone..and the little blog that could :mrgreen:

19. Outis says:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone at Sky Dancing. I appreciate all that you do and all that you give. This has become such a warm, positive place, I look forward to visiting as often as I can. And thank you BB, for reminding us to cherish our families, that is such an important sentiment and one I sometimes lose in the stress of the holidays. THANK YOU!

Wow, looks like I’m late to the party, as usual!!! My thanksgiving morning was my usual thanksgiving telephone calls to all my absentee family and then multiple text messages trying to figure out exactly when youngest daughter will come down here!

I’m thankful it’s 78 degrees here and that I didn’t wake up to snow like my sister and dad did in Seattle!!!

I’m thankful Bywater Barbecue homecooks thanksgiving for 20 bucks all you can eat so I don’t have to make huge messes any more!!! (I love you guys!!!!! You’re my favorite Bear chefs!!!!! and your homemade cakes are the best!!!!)

I’m thankful to have all of you to keep me sane when discussing politics any more. I’m tired of explaining why I’m not going to support a double standard of not voting for any product of a corrupt political machine. I don’t care what race they are! Corrupt is Corrupt!!! No excuses!!!

I’m thankful that my daughters are happy and following their paths to self fulfillment

I’m thankful that my dad is my best friend and my sister and I are on better terms as the years go by.

I’m thankful that I have my sangha and my teachers! Mindfulness training works!!! Having a community with shared values rocks!

I’m thankful I have my computer and access to the internet so I can work, study, play, and keep up with things easily! Knowledge is power!!

I’m thankful I had a wonderful public school education that taught me to read, write, think, and act critically!!! Also, that I still live in a place where I can google whatever I want to google!!!

I’m thankful New Orleans is still here and that we still can bring the world great music, great food, and now, great football!!!

Happy thanksgiving every one!!!

21. juststoppingby says:

re the upcoming Wikileaks dump:

“The U.S. government has notified Ottawa that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage American relations with allies around the world.

U.S. officials say the documents may contain accounts of compromising conversations with political dissidents and friendly politicians as well as activities that could result in the expulsion of U.S. diplomats from foreign postings.”

and…

“Many of the cables are believed to date from the start of U.S. President Barack Obama’s administration, meaning that the White House will not be able to distance itself from any disclosures.”

Rut-roh.

• HT says:

There must be a lot of damaging information then, as apparently the U.S. Government are contacting a lot of countries with the same message. It should get very interesting, however, I hope Assange is truly in a safe place.

This so reminds me of when I was a kid and Daniel Ellsberg released the Pentagon Papers.

• HT says:

Moi aussi, except I wasn’t a kid – I got married that year (lasted 14 years). I remember it vividly, the vitriol thrown his way, the character assassination, the hatred. It gives me shivers today just thinking about it. Have you seen his documentary? I haven’t yet, am waiting for it to be picked up by the library.

• Woman Voter says:

I fear he maybe in more harm now, than ever and maybe he did the release due to some info he obtained recently and thus the MAJOR release that is causing diplomats gray hair and reaching for a stiff drink.

In honesty though, if the Fourth Estate, hadn’t gone Hollywood and had been doing their jobs, would people feel a need to leak to wikileaks?

• Woman Voter says:

Just finished cooking the dinner for four and stopped in at the wikileaks twitter page and the world is all a flutter about the up coming release, PKK (don’t know what organization or party that is) in Turkey causing some tensions, due to potential mention in cables??? There are many articles, pre-agreements being released about the Iraq War, etc, allies being warned and the potential ‘harm’ to diplomatic relations!?!

If this is causing such a flutter and raw nerves and news papers to start calling Assange ‘Hawker’, one has to wonder what on Earth is in the ‘insurance’ file? Or is this it???

• Minkoff Minx says:

just published…”WASHINGTON—It is a hallmark of cross-border diplomacy to keep all the bruises hidden, whenever and wherever possible. Or at the very least wait a generation before the fading scars are shown.

That’s why today, nearly 40 years after the fact, we still know only fragments of what the famously pugnacious Richard Nixon had to say about that “clever son of a bitch,” Pierre Elliott Trudeau.”

Thanks! Think I’m going to front page this and more wikileaks stuff… even though most of us appear to be on tryptophan today.

• juststoppingby says:

If I read that Hillary called us Cheeseheads, I’m going to be very upset!

🙂

But, seriously, I hope I get to see what our right wing ratfink of a PM has been up to.