Via Raw Story, It seems that Rice University students, who tend to be heavily focused on their studies tend to look down on those who attend Texas A&M, like Governor Rick Perry.

Now Rice’s Marching Owl Band has taken a shot of their own at Perry’s intelligence, telling a stadium full of cheering spectators, “The next time you go to the polls, ask yourself, ‘Is your candidate smarter than an Aggie?’”

(See the video above.)

Just how dumb is Rick Perry? HuffPo has published his college transcript as a public service.

A source in Texas passed The Huffington Post Perry’s transcripts from his years at Texas A&M University. The future politician did not distinguish himself much in the classroom. While he later became a student leader, he had to get out of academic probation to do so. He rarely earned anything above a C in his courses — earning a C in U.S. History, a D in Shakespeare, and a D in the principles of economics. Perry got a C in gym.

Perry also did poorly on classes within his animal science major. In fall semester 1970, he received a D in veterinary anatomy, a F in a second course on organic chemistry and a C in animal breeding. He did get an A in world military systems and “Improv. of Learning” — his only two As while at A&M.

“A&M wasn’t exactly Harvard on the Brazos River,” recalled a Perry classmate in an interview with The Huffington Post. “This was not the brightest guy around. We always kind of laughed. He was always kind of a joke.”

Here’s the transcript:

Perry made up for his poor academic performance by being so popular that the was elected cheerleader two times. Apparently that’s a huge honor at Texas Aggie.

About these ads

10 Comments on “Late Night Open Thread: Rice University Marching Band Makes Fun of Governor Goodhair”

Call me a sexist but I just don’t get the male cheerleader thing. Actually, I don’t understand the cheerleader thing at all, but I can’t imagine any guy wanting to do this.

• Valhalla says:

Cheerleading teams are a whole different world at those big state schools, esp. in the South (ok, I know Texas isn’t really the South, just the same idea). It’s as much its own thing as it is the support of the “real” teams. Same with marching bands and drum corps and stuff.

I’m sure much fun will be made of him for it. But I don’t really get going on what people did when they were college-age (outside of academics, and even then, there’s room for debate). Most people did some irresponsible and silly stuff (gawd knows I wouldn’t want to be judged NOW on the person I was then, and I think he’s older than I am). But then, no way in hell I’d ever vote for him, so I can afford to be blase about it. Plus, I still suffer something of an aversion reaction to the way Obama’s credentials were blasted in our faces 24/7 as a mark of his cosmic superiority, and as a reason why everyone should vote for him.

I AM puzzled, though, why he persisted with the sciences, esp. orgo, when he clearly didn’t have either the head for it or the drive for it.

• propertius says:

Let’s not forget that both G,W. Bush and Trent Lott were cheerleaders.

Must be a Republican thing ;-)

• Branjor says:

Men are the quintessential cheerleaders of their own teams, except that they usually do it from the stands.

2. Fannie says:

Those people of Texas would rather vote for the local dog catcher than Perry for president.

3. PJ says:

He’s either not too bright or lazy – probably both.

However, if he becomes president, we’ll have national pep rallies! Woohoo!

4. PJ says:

Based on that video, it looks like he’s still “kind of a joke.”

5. joanelle says:

Well, well, interesting how it was so easy for them to get Perry’s transcript and we’re still waiting to see just one of the many that might exist for O’s college forays. :?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Someone leaked this. How did Obama get so many people to keep his secrets? It’s kind of scary to think about.