Tuesday Open Thread

Good Morning Sky Dancers!!

I’m not feeling well today, so I’m just posting this as an open thread. Don’t worry, it’s not Covid; I’m having an issue with a condition I’m being treated for and I’m in touch with my doctor. Some stories to check out:

Local GOP leaders are censoring Congresspeople who supported impeachment or conviction. This is incredible.

Mediaite: GOP Rep. Kinzinger Receives Stunning Letter from Relatives Over His Trump Opposition: ‘You Have Lost the Respect of Lou Dobbs…’

A new profile on Congressman Adam Kinzinger, one of the few House Republicans who voted to impeach Donald Trump, reveals that several family members actually sent him a handwritten letter criticizing his condemnation of the former president’s actions that led to the riots at the Capitol.

Kinzinger spoke to the New York Times about his efforts to get the GOP to move on from Trump, but the report also highlights how he’s received criticism not just from fellow Republicans but from family members.

The letter reads in part, “Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God!… You have embarrassed the Kinzinger family name!”

The Times says this letter — which accuses him of joining the “devil’s army” — came from 11 members of his family.

At one point the letter says, “You should be very proud that you have lost the respect of Lou DobbsTucker CarlsonSean HannityLaura IngrahamGreg Kelly, etc., and most importantly in our book, Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh and us!”

See the letter at the NYT.

Sorry this isn’t much of a post. I hope to be back to my usual form by Thursday. Have a nice day everyone!

18 Comments on “Tuesday Open Thread”

1. jslat says:

Healing thoughts for you, bb. Warm virtual hugs from all of us.

“We did not send him there to do the right thing.”

Rare example of Republicans telling the truth.

• quixote says:

/*endless boggling*/

• Enheduanna says:

I have a brother and many uncles/cousins etc. who are racist “Xtian” Trumpists. We just don’t acknowledge their opinions one way or the other. Not a lot of socializing going on (actually none).

Watching news today of new findings covid affects the eyes in a bad way for some people. And news Dump was a lot sicker than they let on. Wonder if he’ll have lasting after-effects.

Saw that about Trump nearly being put on a ventilator. I bet he had a tantrum and told them not to. O2 sats in the 80s??? Anyone else would have been vented pronto; there’s hardly any oxygen to the brain at those levels.

But the lasting after effects on cognitive function — how could we tell the difference?

Agree on the not socializing with Xian Trumpists; there’s no point to it.

I’m sorry to hear you haven’t turned the tide yet on that pain and all. Please just hang in there and ttyl!

Hospitals turn to artificial intelligence to help with an age-old problem: Doctors’ poor bedside manners

Um … there’s a fix for that, and it’s not AI. Train them right in the first place, or try an NP.

• Enheduanna says:

Is it weird I’ve always been relieved when I get a NP instead of a doctor to look at me?

I don’t think so, but then since I’m an NP I’m obviously biased, lol! NPs usually have more education and focus on psych, patient education, and just plain listening. The patient isn’t the disease — I want to also know how are they living and managing with it? What effect does it have on their relationships, work, recreational activities? How are they doing with continuing adjustment to chronic disease? What education or info would help them and family or caregivers? What else besides medicine can help — physical therapy, healthy diet, massage, physical activity, adaptive equipment, meditation, acupuncture, psychology/counseling?

I also know my limits and am happy to refer to MDs on the team for ultra-complex specialized stuff. What works well is to have alternating visits with the MD and the NP; that way the patient gets the best of both worlds.

• quixote says:

With one or two extreme outliers (male doctors who were good), NPs are *always* better than male doctors. They’re also better than most (two thirds?) of female doctors!

So if you’re weird, Enheduanna, so am I.

The studies done on patients of NPs have found equal or even better health outcomes compared with MDs.

5. Minkoff Minx says:

BB I hope you feel better…it’s good you have seen the doctor. Sending good juju your way. Xoxoxo

Good news for our sisters in Virginia!

From a lengthy interview retiring Washington Post editor Marty Baron recently gave to the Germany’s Der Spiegel:

“We had to be much more forthright about Trump’s mendacity, his lies over the course of the administration. We needed to call them that from the very beginning. We were very much operating on good principle; and let’s be fair, he was president, he was duly elected. But he was exploiting that. He was exploiting our principles. That said, I don’t think it would have made any great difference.”

There’s a lot there, and unfortunately much of it cannot be defended. What’s most exasperating is that Baron, who’s one of the best in the business, waits until Trump is out of office to make this sweeping concession about the central error that the media made covering the congenital liar. “We had to be much more forthright about Trump’s mendacity, his lies,” stressed Baron, which raises the obvious question: What was stopping him and the Post from doing that?

Baron has been executive editor for one of the most influential news outlets in America, so why did the paper fail to be “more forthright” about Trump’s lies? Why did the Post on the one hand employ an aggressive team of fact-checkers to document the thousands of Trump lies, but then refuse to call them “lies”? That’s not journalism. It’s some kind of weird hybrid where the Post and others created a safe place where they could claim they were holding Trump accountable without being honest and accurate in the process.