Saturday Open Thread

By Armando Barrios

Good Afternoon

As has often happened lately, I just don’t know where to begin. I’m late with this because I’ve just spend hours dealing with a family situation that ate up my whole morning and into this afternoon.

As soon as I started look around at today’s news, I saw that there has been another mass shooting–this time at a synagogue in Pittsburg. As of now, MSNBC is reporting that there are 8-10 deaths, but CNN just said there are only 4 confirmed deaths and 12 people shot.

CBS Pittsburgh: 8 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue.

KDKA’s Meghan Schiller reports that a suspect, a heavy-set white male with a beard, has surrendered. The SWAT team had been talking with the suspect, and he was crawling and injured. It is unclear the extent of his injuries.

KDKA sources confirm to Andy Sheehan that the suspect is 48-year-old Robert Bowers. It is believed that he acted alone.

Police are also investigating if he announced his intentions on Twitter this morning. That account has since been taken down.

Pittsburgh Police spokesman Chris Togneri confirmed that the suspect was in custody and three police officers had been shot. He also confirmed multiple causalities, but did not divulge exactly how many.

Police sources tell KDKA’s Andy Sheehan the gunman walked into the building and yelled, “All Jews must die.” Sheehan’s sources confirmed that eight people were dead. Others had been shot, but the extent of their injuries in unknown at this time.

Trump spoke about the shooting as he departed for another of his Hitler rallies. He didn’t say anything helpful; his main message was that if there had been security inside the temple (I guess he means guns) this wouldn’t have happened.

Press conference now on CNN: The scene inside is very bad. There are multiple fatalities. The injured are being transported to trauma facilities. There will be another press conference at 4PM with government officials and first responders. This is being considered a federal crime and the FBI is leading the investigation.

I’m going to put this post up now, and I’ll had some links to other stories with as soon as it goes up.

The Intercept: Here Is a List of Far-Right Attackers Trump Inspired. Cesar Sayoc Wasn’t the First — and Won’t Be the Last.

Rick Wilson: Of Course Donald Trump Inspired Cesar Sayoc’s Alleged Terrorism.

Jonathan Chait: Trump’s Party Is the Petri Dish for Diseased Minds That Grew Cesar Sayoc.

LA Times: In a week of domestic terrorism, a commander in chief mostly missing in action.

The Atlantic: Trump’s Incoherent Rally in Charlotte.

NYT: Trump, at Charlotte Rally, Tries to Rebuild Political ‘Momentum’ by Reviving Old Attacks

Take care of yourselves today. I love you all.

25 Comments on “Saturday Open Thread”

What is happening to our country?

• Sweet Sue says:

Another day, Another horror.

• Joanelle says:

We’re being torn apart bit by bit,

I know, Joanelle. It’s terrible and it is that it’s going to keep getting worse as long as Trump is in the White House. I’m sure now that it is going to get much much worse, in ways we can’t even imagine yet. I makes my heart hurt.

• Joanelle says:

I know the feeling, I get up with it every day. I’m brokenhearted about our situation and clearly as long as the Repugs can’t see the forest for the trees in as much as they are the problem, not Trump, he’s just the instigator.

We have a sociopath in charge that only cares about feeding his coffers and tremendous need for approval. He’s willing to entertain demons to make it so.

2. Sweet Sue says:

We all love you too, BB. Take care of yourself today.

3. OG says:

That is a good question. Some people think it is startto unravel. We are basically separate nations held together by a common bond that seems to be getting weaker.

It doesn’t seem like there’s that common bond anymore.

The last few days I’ve had the sense that there is no government. All we have is the parts of the government that keep carrying on, what Trump calls the “deep state.” Obviously, the FBI is still doing it’s work. They caught the MAGAbomber quickly, but if it were up to Trump and his staff I don’t think there would even have been an investigation. I think Trump would have been happy if all the bomber’s targets had died.

I know that’s a terrible thing to say, but that’s what I believe.

• quixote says:

“Potential” hate crime? “Potential” hate crime?

/*endless screaming*/

It has already been charged as a hate crime.

“On Saturday, October 27, 2018, at 8:05 p.m., U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert C. Mitchell signed a criminal complaint charging Robert Bowers of Baldwin, Pa., with 29 counts setting forth federal crimes of violence and firearms offenses. The crimes of violence are based upon the federal civil rights laws prohibiting hate crimes. The FBI in Pittsburgh is leading the investigation.”

The federal complaint alleges that Bowers committed the following crimes on or about October 27, 2018, in the Western District of Pennsylvania:

• Eleven counts of Obstruction of Exercise of Religious Beliefs Resulting in Death (18 U.S.C. §§ 247(a)(2) and 247(d)(1))

• Eleven counts of Use of a Firearm to Commit Murder During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence (18 U.S.C. §§ 924(c)(1)(A) and 924(j)(1)

• Four counts of Obstruction of Exercise of Religious Beliefs Resulting in Bodily Injury to a Public Safety Officer 18 U.S.C. §§ 247(a)(2) and 247(d)(3))

• Three counts of Use and Discharge of a Firearm During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence (18 U.S.C. §§ 924(c)(1)(A) and 924(iii))

Voting machines in Texas are flipping votes for Beto to Cruz …

Early voting in Texas began on Monday, but some Texans who showed up to cast a ballot were met with a rude surprise: Despite opting to vote straight-ticket for candidates of a single party, their voting machines tried to disobey their express instructions in certain races. This means, for example, that folks who intended to vote for Democrats found themselves staring at a screen commemorating their alleged support for Ted Cruz instead.

Please read this thread …

8. Pat Johnson says:

I have a suspicion that Trump secretly enjoys these terrorist events.

His ego is so massive he more then likely takes a sense of pride that there are people out there who he has “influenced” by his incendiary remarks.

He is still singling out CNN, one of those on the bomber’s list of targets, as an “enemy”. This man is insane yet there are those equally unbalanced who may feel they are “carrying out orders” on his behalf.

This is how twisted Trump is. Buried in the last two days of domestic terror is the shooter who attacked black shoppers in a Kroeger store.

This stuff will continue as Trump has unleashed this bigotry however he frames it. Sick.