Friday Reads: UnThanksgiving

Good Afternoon!

Three of these pictures have real Presidents doing real presidentin’ things from the last 20 years. Then, there is the current president* enriching his businesses on the taxpayer’s dollars and basically doing nothing.  At least he’s not giving a speech or twittering from the golden piss pot.

I probably just spent the weirdest thanksgiving ever.  I stayed home and eventually made fajitas and only ate a little. All the food that was brought home to me just looked like the most unappetizing piles of globby gook and dried out meat I’ve ever seen. I miss family Thanksgiving in the cabin in the mountains around Estates Park which hasn’t happened for almost 30 years.  Yesterday. There was no TV. There was just Daddy cooking and every one playing card games, reading, or doing outdoorsy stuff. And, no one wanted to talk about Ronald Reagan.

I just still wasn’t together enough to be around people. Now, I have to slog through National Crass Consumerism month and try to sneak in and out of the grocery store quickly.  Lucky for me, the closest bodega is owned by an Orthodox Jewish Immigrant from Iran so crassmas bombardment is much smaller there.

I hope you seriously got to avoid the worst of the holiday yesterday and could enjoy and be thankful for what’s good to you and yours. I really hope you got to avoid watching ‘the’ speech to the Coast Guard by the president*/Russian Potted Plant.  I’m relying here on Tom Sullivan for the full effect.

We know by now the sitting president has problem keeping state secrets when boasting is an option. It seems he revealed yesterday the existence of invisible U.S. fighter jets.

View image on Twitter

But you’ll notice freedom is out as a presidential shibboleth. This president doesn’t care about freedom so much as winning. Instead of parading around the mess hall in person with a plastic turkey, the sitting president graced troops with his telepresence:

“Everybody’s talking about the progress you’ve made in the last few months since I opened it up,” Trump said about his decision to add a small number of troops to the 16-year long conflict in Afghanistan. “We opened it up, we said go ahead, we’re going to fight to win. We’re not fighting anymore to just walk around, we’re fighting to win. And you people, you’ve really turned it around in the past three to four months like nobody’s seen and they are talking about it. So thank you very much, brave, incredible fighters.”

“We’re being talked about as an armed forces. We’re really winning. We know how to win,” Trump said. “But we have to let you win. They weren’t letting you win before. They were letting you play even. We’re letting you win.”Which, of course, is only possible because Himself is in the White House.

The nation’s sick children are not winning. States are preparing to shut down S-Chip.  Doncha just love those death panels in Congress?  Ya know, the pro-life twits?  This is what you get when racist, greedy, shitbags elect other racist, greedy shitbags.

Officials in nearly a dozen states are preparing to notify families that a crucial health insurance program for low-income children is running out of money for the first time since its creation two decades ago, putting coverage for many at risk by the end of the year.

Congress missed a Sept. 30 deadline to extend funding for CHIP, as the Children’s Health Insurance Program is known. Nearly 9 million youngsters and 370,000 pregnant women nationwide receive care because of it.

Many states have enough money to keep their individual programs afloat for at least a few months, but five could run out in late December if lawmakers do not act. Others will start to exhaust resources the following month.

The looming crunch, which comes despite CHIP’s enduring popularity and bipartisan support on Capitol Hill, has dismayed children’s health advocates.

“We are very concerned, and the reason is that Congress hasn’t shown a strong ability to get stuff done,” said Bruce Lesley, president of Washington-based First Focus, a child and family advocacy organization. “And the administration is completely out, has not even uttered a syllable on the issue. How this gets resolved is really unclear, and states are beginning to hit deadlines.”

So, here is some absolutely horrid news from Libya where immigrants are being sold at Slave Markets.  There’s been pretty much world outrage about this since a video appeared although not from the US.

After a video surfaced showing migrants apparently being sold at auction in Libya, people worldwide have been calling for action.

Last week, CNN published a report on modern slavery in Libya, featuring a video that reportedly was shot in August and a9ppeared to show a man selling African migrants for farm work.

“Big strong boys,” the man said in the video, according to a CNN narrator. “400 … 700 … 800,” he called out the mounting prices. The men were eventually sold for about $400 each, CNN reported. The Libyan government said it has launched an investigation into slave auctions in the country.

Following the CNN report, demonstrators took to the streets in Paris and other cities last week to express their outrage, and Libyans showed their solidarity on Twitter with the hashtag #LibyansAgainstSlavery.

Several world leaders spoke out as well. The chairman of the African Union, Guinean President Alpha Condé, called it a “despicable trade … from another era” on Friday. The U.N. Support Mission in Libya said Wednesday that it was “dismayed and sickened,” and is “actively pursuing” the matter with Libyan authorities.

I am horrified at news reports and video footage showing African migrants in Libya reportedly being sold as slaves,” U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres said to reporters on Monday. “Slavery has no place in our world, and these actions are among the most egregious abuses of human rights and may amount to crimes against humanity.”

Here’s what the placemarker in the oval office is outraged about.

He doesn’t appear to be aware that no one’s gone to make and try to sell stuff here–let alone invest in factories or workers–if there’s no growing middle class with incomes to buy the stuff.  It still appears I’m not up to being out among humanity if that’s what it’s gone back to these days.   Wonder if Kremlin Caligula and Tiger discussed what it’s like to have blonde ex-wives?

Did I mention I’m thankful for Robert Mueller and Colin Kaepernick?  Seems like I may have joined the UnThanksgiving movement.

Colin Kaepernick made a surprise appearance at the Alcatraz Indigenous People’s Sunrise Gathering on Thursday.

A tradition since 1975, the annual dawn festivities, also known as Unthanksgiving Day, commemorate the 1969-71 occupation of Alcatraz by American Indians, during which 89 American Indian activists and leaders occupied the island and former penitentiary with the demands that it be turned into an Indian cultural center and school.

Between traditional dancing and speeches, Kaepernick delivered a message of resistance and hope to the thousands gathered on the island:

“I realize that our fight is the same fight. We’re all fighting for our justice, for our freedom, and realizing that we’re in this fight together makes it all the more powerful.

If there’s one thing that I take away from today and seeing the beauty of everybody out here, it’s that we’re only getting stronger every day, we’re only getting larger and larger every day. I see the strength in everybody.

The dancing, the rituals – that is our resistance. We continue to fight. We continue to fight for justice. We fight for our freedom, and we continue on that path.”

Just some more man’s inhumanity to humanity stuff today to report besides the 63 million shitbags that stuck us with Kremlin Caligula.  Read at your own risk.

There was a deadly mosque attack in Egypt.

Sarah Jeffe writes that “There are no Safe Spaces”,

“Here’s your leftover turkey: The case for Hillary Clinton 2020. What better way to honor the holiday than with a spiteful argument for yet another Clinton candidacy?”

1. Hillary Clinton is the Winston Churchill to Vladimir Putin’s Adolf Hitler.

I agree with the basic principle of Godwin’s Law: The first person to invoke Hitler in a political debate should normally lose. The exception, of course, has to be when someone has genuine Hitler-like qualities. A foreign despot who has invaded neighboring countries and has a right-wing nationalist agenda is about as Nazi-like as you can get.

Okay, I’ll end with this.  Hopefully, I’ll be a bit more chipper, literate, and verbose on Monday.  Take care!

What’s on your reading and blogging list today?

26 Comments on “Friday Reads: UnThanksgiving”

1. Jslat says:

Me thinks you need a ((((hug)))). Tough times.

2. Enheduanna says:

Yes! Hugs for you Dak – fajitas sound yummy! We had the worst globby gook dressing yesterday – hahahaha. Every year for me it’s usually at least one passive-aggressive Mommy story about how I could have married blah blah blah who was so tall and handsome blah blah blah.

Love the top picture and Tracey Ullman as Merkel is classic. I love her show.

Tiger Woods should be ashamed of himself. Colin Kaepernick OTOH is dreamy.

Thanks for the headlines. The Hillary story was designed to solicit abuse in the comments. She would never do it and I don’t blame her.

Yeah. Tracey is brilliant!!

Xoxo. My mom never really liked my ex until he was on his way to becoming my ex. Then, they freaking bonded to gaslight me!

Xoxo

3. Mary Luke says:

Hug to you Dak. After my mishap with the exploding Pyrex casserole full of freshly made stuffing we had a lovely quiet day with my father, daughter, and granddaughter. I have never heard of a Pyrex bowl exploding but maybe it was just too old or maybe they do have a temperature limit. We were fortunate neither Dad nor I got cut by exploding glass. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Dak, fajitas sound great to me now. No more heavy Thanksgiving food for me. No tv and not reading anything from the Orange Menace.

• quixote says:

Well, I’d never heard of Pyrex exploding either. A friend of mine was making her Thanksgiving turkey in a large Pyrex baking dish. (You know this story does not have a happy ending.) The juices were almost evaporated and the turkey was only about halfway done. So, with total assurance, I said of course she could pour some water in to keep the juices from turning into a salty concentrated burned mess.

Shazam.

Glass everywhere. Also in the back of the turkey. And about ten people due for dinner any minute.

She’d been the older sister in a large family and was resourceful. We carefully pared off the risky layer of turkey, picked the glass out of the oven, the kitchen, the floor, put the turkey in a new (metal) pan where it finished roasting, and the dinner was a complete success. (She was a very good cook when not following the advice of interlopers with obvious Dunning-Krueger issues.) Nobody wound up in the emergency room.

So, depending how you treat it, yes, Pyrex can explode.

I exploded my roomate’s Pyrex dish when I put it too close to the top of the oven and set the dial to “broil” and didn’t check it in time. Too much heat for too long and yes it will break. Also its thermal shock resistance is much better than regular glass, but not unlimited. Glad no one was injured in any accident yesterday!

Wow. Maybe they disintegrate with age?

4. quixote says:

“Crassmas” What a perfect word. It’s what I’m using from now on.

That is a great one.

I’ve been using it. Sometimes people do a double-take before they realize the accuracy of that description.

Damn, even my local classic station played some Crassmass music yesterday. Can’t they wait until at least December? And forget about needing to do any normal shoppingoing, though the grocery store’s OK.

If I could afford it, I’d take the time between Thanksgiving and Xmas off and go someplace where it’s not “celebrated,” or at least not so crassly. That’s probably anyplace but the USA!

I’m a “Holidays? So what?” type of person, and vegetarian so roast bird doesn’t appeal to me. I had homemade borscht made with stock simmered from two types of wild mushrooms which I’d hunted & picked myself. Alas, it lacked the traditional sour cream but we can make do with yoghurt. Then I binge-read a couple of fantasy novels by Ginn Hale, who features LGB characters. Not great literature but fun.

It’s all about him and never mind that our troops should be deserve a hot meal on Thanksgiving. Makes me ashamed to be American.

“Look at the muscles on that guy. Can I beat him in an arm wrestling contest?” Mr. Trump said at a U.S. Coast Guard station near his South Florida resort Mar-a-Lago, handing out turkey sandwiches with first lady Melania Trump.

9. Sweet Sue says:

Any temp over 400F can make Pyrex or Corning Ware explode. You can broil a topping for one or two minutes but that’s that.
    As I recall, Colin was one of those special snowflakes who saw no difference between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton so…

• Enheduanna says:

Eeks didn’t know that about Kaepernick. I take it back then.

I have an extensive collection of vintage Pyrex from the 60s or so. Lots of the pastels and even the peach lustre which I just use for serving. Older glass in general is heavier and much sturdier than new glass. Temperature extremes can indeed break glass.

Yes, you are right about Kaepernick not being able to tell the difference between a racist and an experienced civil servant who early in her career went undercover to get evidence of racial discrimination against blacks so it could be fought in court.

Simply an amazing and good change!

Church of Sweden to stop referring to God as ‘he’ or ‘Lord’

The Church of Sweden is urging its clergy to use gender-neutral language when referring to the supreme deity, refraining from using terms such as “Lord” and “he” in favour of the less specific “God.”
    …the church has 6.1 million baptised members in a country of 10 million. It is headed by a woman, Archbishop Antje Jackelén.

11. purplefinn says:

This NPR headline gave me a smile this am: “Trump Says He Passed On Being ‘Person Of The Year.’ ‘Time’ Says He’s ‘Incorrect’

12. RonStill4Hills says:

The Merkel clip was hilarious! Awesome.