Thursday Reads: Bad Mood Blogging

Good Afternoon!!

I’m in a bad mood today. Actually, I’ve been feeling this way for a few days. I’ve got some kind of nasty cold, and I keep falling asleep. Nothing in the news seems to interest me., but I still blog because that’s what I do, and if you want to success in blogging you need to be constant, that’s why I learned from resources online as the Blogging Industries – Skyrocket Your Blogging Paycheck and many others.

Am I really supposed to care that Hugh Hefner died? Well I don’t. I found this article at the Guardian that reflects my attitude toward him: I called Hugh Hefner a pimp, he threatened to sue. But that’s what he was, by Suzanne Moore.

Long ago, in another time, I got a call from a lawyer.Hugh Hefner was threatening a libel action against me and the paper I worked for at the time, for something I had written. Journalists live in dread of such calls. I had called Hefner a pimp. To me this was not even controversial; it was self-evident. And he was just one of the many “libertines” who had threatened me with court action over the years.

It is strange that these outlaws have recourse in this way, but they do. But at the time, part of me wanted my allegation to be tested in a court of law. What a case it could have made. What a hoot it would have been to argue whether a man who procured, solicited and made profits from women selling sex could be called a pimp. Of course, central to Playboy’s ideology is the idea that women do this kind of thing willingly; that at 23 they want nothing more than to jump octogenarians.

Now that he’s dead, the disgusting old sleaze in the smoking jacket is being spoken of as some kind of liberator of women. Kim Kardashian is honoured to have been involved. Righty ho.

I don’t really know which women were liberated by Hefner’s fantasies. I guess if you aspired to be a living Barbie it was as fabulous as it is to be in Donald Trump’s entourage. Had we gone to court, I would like to have heard some of the former playmates and bunnies speak up in court – because over the years they have.

The accounts of the “privileged few” who made it into the inner sanctum of the 29-room Playboy mansion as wives/girlfriends/bunny rabbits are quite something. In Hefner’s petting zoo/harem/brothel, these interchangeable blondes were put on a curfew. They were not allowed to have friends to visit. And certainly not boyfriends. They were given an “allowance”. The big metal gates on the mansion that everyone claimed were to keep people out of this “nirvana” were described by one-time Hefner “girlfriend no 1” Holly Madison in her autobiography thus: “I grew to feel it was meant to lock me in.”

Please go read the rest if, like me, you are disgusted by those who are lionizing Hefner.

Am I supposed to care about the latest GOP pipe dream–cutting taxes for the rich on the backs of the rest of us? I think the headline on this USA Today story by Heidi Przbyla in meant to be sarcastic: Trump’s tax plan could actually benefit wealthy people like him.

President Trump is making one thing clear about his plan to cut taxes: It won’t be a windfall for the richest Americans, including him.

“It’s not good for me, believe me,” Trump said in a speech unveiling the tax reform blueprint on Wednesday.

“We’re targeting relief to working families,” Trump said in Indianapolis. “We will make sure benefits are focused on the middle class, the working men and women, not the highest-income earners.”

A lot would have to change before that’s true.

Trump’s initial plan – backed by Republican leadership on Capitol Hill  – would eliminate the individual Alternative Minimum Tax and estate taxes. It would also tax so-called “pass through” businesses at 25%.

Both of these changes could greatly benefit Trump and his family’s business empire.

Read more at the link. It’s absolutely amazing how stupid Trump and his gang think the people who elected him are.

One thing Trump’s tax “plan” does is end the federal deduction for state and local taxes. The Boston Globe reports: Mass., other blue states are in crosshairs of GOP tax plan.

To offset the huge loss in revenue from his proposed tax cuts, Trump and GOP congressional leaders want to eliminate widely used personal income-tax deductions for state and local income taxes and property taxes, among others.

Massachusetts ranks fifth among states where residents would see the largest average federal tax increase if the deductions are scrapped, behind Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and California.

Homeowners in Massachusetts and throughout New England pay steep property tax bills to support local town government, in addition to their state income taxes. Property taxes are especially high in cities and towns with hefty real-estate values and heavy demand by residents for high-performing public schools, such as Boston’s suburbs.

Being able to deduct those state and local taxes on annual federal tax returns reduces the sting. Some Massachusetts officials quickly opposed eliminating the deductions, saying it would hit many on all rungs of the economic ladder.

“It would have a profound negative impact on working-class families, those struggling to afford to stay in our communities or send their kids to school,” said Mayor Joseph Curtatone of Somerville. “Is their intent to create fiscal disaster?”

One thing I do still care about is that the “president” is loony tunes. Did you see him last night telling the press that “we have the votes” for the health care bill, but the vote had to be put off because one Senator is in the hospital?

USA Today: Trump cites support for health care bill from mystery senator in hospital.

Even though Senate Republicans abandoned plans for a health care vote this week, President Trump says he’s got it in the bag — including support from an unnamed senator that triggered a mystery on Wednesday.

“With one Yes vote in hospital & very positive signs from Alaska and two others (McCain is out), we have the HCare Vote, but not for Friday!” Trump tweeted Wednesday, one day after Senate Republicans’ last-ditch proposal to unwind the Affordable Care Act collapsed.

Yet it was not immediately clear whether any senators are currently in the hospital. Sen. Thad Cochran is recuperating from what his office referred to as treatment for a urological issue back home in Mississippi, but, as he later pointed out in a tweet, he isn’t in the hospital.

Later on Wednesday, the president again spoke of a senator in the hospital while talking to reporters.

“He can’t vote because he’s in the hospital,” Trump said. “We have two other votes that are coming and we will have them, but the problem is we can’t have them by Friday because reconciliation ends on Friday. So we’ll have to do it in January or February.”

WTF?! And “journalists” are just laughing this off. Trump needs an immediate MRI and psychological evaluation. This man is not well, and he controls the nuclear arsenal. This is not a joke!

I also still care about all the people who are suffering the aftereffects of the September hurricanes, including our own J.J. Does Trump care? That would be a definite “no.” Check this out at The Hill: Trump administration requiring Puerto Rico evacuees to pay transportation costs.

People evacuated by the U.S. from hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico must sign promissory notes ensuring they fully repay transportation costs to the Defense Department, according to the State Department.

Evacuees from Dominica and other countries hit by the hurricanes also must sign the promissory notes, though their repayments would go through the State Department.

Marketwatch first reported that the evacuees from Puerto Rico were required to put up the promissory notes.

The notes fall under a longstanding but discretionary policy meant to ensure that evacuees pay transportation costs, which are based on “the price of the last commercial one-way, full-fare (not discounted) economy ticket prior to the crisis.”

How are rescue efforts going in Puerto Rico? It’s hard to tell, but this from Bloomberg isn’t good: Mountains of Aid Are Languishing on the Docks in Puerto Rico.

Thousands of cargo containers bearing millions of emergency meals and other relief supplies have been piling up on San Juan’s docks since Saturday. The mountains of materiel may not reach storm survivors for days.

Distributors for big-box companies and smaller retailers are unloading 4,000 20-foot containers full of necessities like food, water and soap this week at a dock in Puerto Rico’s capital operated by Crowley Maritime Corp. In the past few days, Tote Maritime’s terminal has taken the equivalent of almost 3,000. Even with moves to ease shipping to the island, like the Trump administration’s waiver of the Jones Act on Thursday, the facilities have become choke points in the effort to aid survivors of Hurricane Maria.

“There are plenty of ships and plenty of cargo to come into the island,” said Mark Miller, a spokesman for Crowley, based in Jacksonville, Florida. “From there, that’s where the supply chain breaks down — getting the goods from the port to the people on the island who need them.”

About 30 minutes before Wednesday’s 7 p.m. curfew, there were few signs of life at the Crowley port besides circling bats. The ground was muddy and the chain-link fence protecting the containers listed to the side. Without street or traffic lights, the area was dark, except for one illuminated crane holding a yellow container waiting to be set down in a row of its blue and red fellows.

Read the rest at the link.

That’s all I have for you today. What stories are you following?

Advertisements

53 Comments on “Thursday Reads: Bad Mood Blogging”

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Yup. Hugh was in the women as objects category and men have the right to shop around and take what they want. I’d say the pussy grabber was probably a big Hugh reader and fan. He’s got the entire Hugh Hefner attitude. It’s funny. All the women on my face book, are like Hefner died, meh. You’d think gawd died if you read the men’s walls.

Well, that shows what kind of men they are.

There’s 1 article by a woman in the WaPo Opinion section. She all-too-politely points out:

If it’s important to you to be able to have sex with large numbers of women without necessarily entering a long-term monogamous relationship, then of course it’s in your interest that women be economically independent enough not to rely on a spouse. If you want to be able to have a lot of sex without having a family, then it’s critical that you and your partners have access to contraception and the ability to legally and safely terminate any unwanted pregnancy. If you want to do all of these things while maintaining your health and without people thinking that there’s something wrong with you, then prompt medical responses to sexually transmitted disease outbreaks and research into human sexuality that normalizes previously stigmatized behavior are obviously to your advantage.

And then hesitantly raises a few questions about which she has an “uneasy doubt,” [sic] including these two:

Hefner’s life raised the question of whether sexual liberation benefited men more than women.

I’m not sure appearing as a Playboy centerfold ever did as much for a woman as the Playboy brand itself did for Hefner:

Of course the comments from most of the men, and a few women, cannot see the exploitation. “He even had black centerfolds!” Yes, some of his friends were black, and he was happy to exploit women of whatever color.

• teele says:

I thought the same about the orange pustule when I heard that Hefner was dead. Men of my father’s generation had their tastes molded by Hefner and the Playboy “lifestyle”: the vacant-eyed, always-available women, the gaudy gold-covered decor, overpriced meat-and-potatoes presented on golden plates, ever-flowing booze, and expensive cars were presented as the Ultimate American Dream, and most men of that generation (and some in subsequent generations) lapped it up. Trump is Hefner’s spiritual child.

• quixote says:

Sady’s showing her age. I love her dearly and she’s brilliant, but not right there. Trans activists were not on the radar even microscopically in the 60s. Queer people, as queers, barely more so. Sexual liberation was led by feminists. Feminists. FEMINISTS.

(I am so tired of even feminists putting the biggest, the most perseverant, and the most goddamn effective group always last. If at all.)

Some of the feminists were certainly queer. Some may have been trans. But the big deal at the time was that they were feminists. Or as we once called it, women’s liberation.

I wasn’t yet a teenager in the 60s, but a few years later in my young teens realized I was a feminist (Oh, is this what people who think like me are called, lol), and then eagerly read up on our history. Yeah, I sure missed hearing about all of them.

To be fair, Sady did mention feminists. I grew up in the 60s, and came to Boston in ’67. There definitely was a visible queer culture at that time, some trans people, probably less visible. The women’s movement was coming into its own when I was in high school, and gay rights in the late ’60s.

2. roofingbird says:

I think they ought to be airlifting mules.

3. Pat Johnson says:

Impossible, I know, but Trump is turning out to be worse then we even credited him in the first place.

His lies are incredible. But he just keeps going on. His insults are a daily feature, The failure to act on behalf of PR is criminal. People are near to dying. Send in troops to help distribute the aid. Instead he blabbers about “praise” given that makes no sense since those on the ground are reporting differently.

When does this nonsense come to a full stop? What more does it take for congress to act? Next week President Stupid flies down to PR for photo ops. This about sums up his commitment to assist the needy.

Unbelievable that we are stuck with this idiot. Absolutely unbelievable.

• joanelle says:

You’re right again Pat. It appears to be the “we’ve had more than enough time.” We blitzed them in the past and were able to make things happen.
      Apparently Congress critters and the Senate haven’t figured out that in addition to our disgust with tRump, they are totally trashing their ‘brand’ by keeping him on, so we need to identify how bad will Pence be compared to tRump who is overtly obnoxious and Pence who clearly operates overtly, the sneaky little slime.
      Phone calls, hand written letters, emails, texts, etc. to our representatives telling them to impeach our non-president are in order if we determine we’d be better off; of course McConnell and Ryan aren’t much better.
      Oh, Lordy what do we do?

4. Sweet Sue says:

Today is my birthday. Trump in the White House-worst birthday ever.

I was commenting away on last thread without noticing the new…. Re-posting a comment:

File under: “I Can’t Believe I’m Seeing the Same Old Sexist Bull Shit”

Front page of WaPo features obit for Hugh Hefner for his “visionary” work seeking to overturn “the puritanical moral code of Middle America.” Visionary? It was the same old exploitive sexism of insecure boys who want lots of sex for themselves and hate independent women.

General Who Turned Around Katrina Response Criticizes Puerto Rico Efforts

“It’s kind of like Katrina: We got it. We got it. Oh, s–t, send in the cavalry,” Honore, now retired from the military, said in an interview Wednesday. “This is a hit on White House decision making.”

He said more people and equipment should have been sent to the island in advance of the storm, and the Department of Defense should be given far greater authority over the response.

Only the military has the ability to move supplies quickly onto the island as many ports remain closed, he said — what he called “expeditionary logistics,” a mix of specialized ships, aircraft and other equipment that the National Guard can’t match. Before the storm hit, the federal government should have positioned more personnel in Puerto Rico, he said.

Go gettem General Honore!!!!

Now there’s a man who knows logistics! Trump and his cronies don’t. When something goes bottom up they sue, file bankruptcy, or have their underlings try to clean it up. Government is different than megalomanic-run businesses.

• Catscatscats says:

You should have heard the head of FEMA this AM on MSNBC. He was so defensive about his poor performance in PR, he was downright snippy. I was waiting for him to stick out his tongue and stomp his feet. When asked if they should have sent the Comfort sooner he made it sound like it was a stupid idea because you can’t move critical care patients, uh, don’t hospitals drill for that in case of a disaster????? I also heard about all these FEMA people, clean, dressed in tucked in polo shirts, milling around the PR convention center (air conditioned) chatting and exchanging biz cards. Then I heard FEMA wants all the mayors of these outlying destroyed towns to get themselves to the center to talk about their needs. WTF? And trumputin is sure “we” will get an A plus for PR as “we” did with TX and FL. People in Guam and Hawaii should take heed (hey islands in a big ocean you will be on your own in an emergency).

7. Sweet Sue says:

Watching “Inherit The Wind” with my spirit lover, Gene Kelly, and, in the light of Roy Moore winning the Senatorial nomination in Alabama, it feels relevant and timely.
    We’re still fighting the same battles.
    “Give Me That Old Time Religion.”

8. RonStill4Hills says:

The phony-flag backlash over the NFL reminds me so much of the Sinead O’Connor debacle.

She tore a photo of the Pope into little pieces on SNL.

Her career never recovered. She was blackballed for disrespecting God, the church and Jesus.

Why did she do it? Because the church sex abuse scandal blew up in Ireland ten or fifteen years before it blew up here, and they knew that JP2 was moving molesters from parish to parish where they continued to molest.

Very few young men were joining the priesthood and they couldn’t afford to lose priests. Plus it was a PR nightmare. Children, boys and girls, were sacrificed.

In that case it was an uppitty young woman having opinions without permission.

Let me ask you, who was really disrespecting God, the church and Jesus? Here is a hint, it wasn’t the bald-headed girl with the pretty voice.

The ability to manipulate media and others in order to drown out and/or condemn those who protest and alert us to problems of racism, sex abuse, etc, is in large part what keeps those sleazy pedophile priests and grifters like Trump in power.

• RonStill4Hills says:

Absolutely. And the useless idiot mass media obligingly labels the truth teller a heretic (unpatriotic, unlikeable). Everything Hills said in the Election was essentially the truth, and they called Her a liar. Every thing the Tangarine Turd said was false and they call him an outsider.

For the patriarchs and oligarchs truth tellers and more dangerous than liars. And profits, after all, are more important than prophets.
        Benghazi and email servers were a bigger story than a goddamned self confessed tax cheat and sexual predator. And the media knew and chose to play along. Why?

Why does the media insist on presenting every story as the left says this and the right says that. That is not valuable. Especially if in the name balance you knowingly present falsehoods as if they have equal weight with the truth. How about, “This is what we know to be true,” then STFU!

For all intents and purposes the media is a co-conspirator.

Lol! Cop wanted to sue the hashtag too!

Black Lives Matter cannot be sued by Louisiana police officer, federal judge rules

A federal judge ruled Thursday that Black Lives Matter was not an organization but a social movement akin to the tea party or the civil rights movement, and cannot be sued by a Louisiana police officer who was injured at a protest against police brutality last year.

The officer argued Black Lives Matter was a “national unincorporated association” and called Mckesson its leader and co-founder. He claimed the activists had gathered in Baton Rouge to incite violence against police and that Mckesson was responsible for the actions of the unidentified demonstrator who hurled the rock.

The judge disagreed. “Plaintiff has pleaded facts that merely demonstrate that Mckesson exercised his constitutional right to association and that he solely engaged in protected speech at the demonstration that took place in Baton Rouge on July 9, 2016,” Jackson wrote.

The judge also denied the officer’s attempt to add the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter to the suit, writing that “a hashtag is patently incapable of being sued.”

Forgot to say, BB, I’m with you on the bad mood response to current events excepting anything which can take Trump down.