Brink of the Abyss Open Thread

160322__slatest_trumpocalypse-promo-01-jpg-crop-cq5dam_web_1280_1280_jpeg

Sorry about this. I’m not a in a very good mood right now. I’m trying to figure out what to do next. I’m in a pretty precarious situation and I can’t afford to lose my Social Security and Medicare. My living situation is up in the air too. I may have to leave most of my belongings behind and move in with my mother in Indiana.

I just can’t believe this is happening. My dream of a woman president looked as if it was about to be realized, and instead we may end up with a psychopathic sexual predator doing his personal business out of the White House. A psychopath who is a willing puppet of Vladimir Putin. Thanks to Jim Comey. Thanks to the FBI, Thanks to the fucking assholes in the media who spent 600 days obsessing about emails and let Trump get away with not releasing his taxes. Thanks to CNN for hiring all those idiotic Trump surrogates to trash Hillary.

Hillary technically could still pull this out, but it’s not looking good. NATO is massing troops in Eastern Europe, the stock market is crashing, and all those people who voted for Trump are going to check ou these numbers on the opioid problem or whatever retirement funds they had along with their health care. But they don’t care, because they wanted hate to win.

This is an open thread.

Advertisements

99 Comments on “Brink of the Abyss Open Thread”

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• Fannie says:

Thank you again, sharing.

• Earlynerd says:

But yours was the exclusively male ruled religion that wanted this, wasn’t it? That 2000 year old exercise in bigotry?

You wanted the unqualified man, Sanders, over the supremely qualified woman, didn’t you:?

Fuckit, I’m tired of playing nice with sellouts and fifth columnists. You bought this, you own it.

2. Jslat says:

BB this is horrible. So many to blame as we know. Are any of the states close enough for a recount?

Al Giordano is projecting Trump the winner because that one electoral vote in Maine will go to Trump. He did the math. I’m too tired to look at the map.

Steve Kornacki is saying that Hillary will likely win the popular vote but lose the electoral college, like Gore did.

• William says:

I had turned the TV off hours ago. This is even more awful than imagined. We win the popular vote again and lose the Electoral? We lose because the Republicans duped Maine into splitting its precious electoral votes, the way that they had been trying to dupe PA and mI into it for years?

The Electoral College was outmoded, and should have been gotten rid of decades ago. But we have one party which only plays to win. They have gerrymandered and filibustered and cheated their way to power. If more people voted for Hillary but she still lost, that is the most awful insult to our country of all.

3. Jslat says:

Katy Tur, who faced so much abuse from Trumpsters and T-rump, was still questioning his taxes, his ties to Russian business, etc. Bless her!

I knew there were really awful people in this country. I had no idea there were so many of them. I always believed what Churchill said about us doing the right thing at the very last minute. It seems we’re deservedly losing our place in the civilized world.

5. roofingbird says:

33% of hispanic men voted for drumf

So much for women having jobs, for women having contraception, for blacks and whites and Latinos in the same schools, for all the advances of the last six decades … everything except the low cost of living in the 1950s is coming back:

a recent poll by the nonpartisan research organization P.R.R.I. showing that seven in 10 Trump supporters prefer the more culturally homogeneous America of 1950s and that the same proportion of Clinton voters believe that American society has changed for better since then.

Fuck their “nostalgia.” This is a nightmare.

Not only that, this could lead to a Great Depression, far worse than 2008. The market has already fallen further than it did then.

Krugman’s not predicting good times ahead.

• Fannie says:

I believe, that we must all rock steady, because a lot of friends, and family will need us. We have seen things, that a lot of young haven’t.

I can’t listen to the news anymore. I am going to unplug it, very soon.

• Earlynerd says:

Without their women collaborators, this could not have happened.

Women are over 50% of the population in this country. Women could have stopped this yesterday. Instead, they have voted to be children all their lives.

This is what must be addressed.

No more making your primary living off the man you sleep with (it doesn’t matter that it’s a long term contract, the terms are still the same as the hourly ones).

No more trusting the lives of your children to his continuing sexual attraction to you.

Women have been comfortable enough skating along making concessions to sexism. They must as a majority say: no more.

7. Jslat says:

For all of the drain the swamp, get rid of establishment rhetoric, notice that they have re-elected ALL of the establishment candidates.

She only got 3/4 in Maine.

Podesta is speaking at the event.

10. Jslat says:

Not concerning tonight! Good on you
    Podesta!

11. Jslat says:

Told everyone to go home. No speech tonight.

12. Jslat says:

Now I think I will go to bed and try to sleep. I am so tired! See you in the am!

Gop just retained Senate majority with reelection of Murkowski.

Trump gets Alaska.

Paul Krugman:

I don’t know how we go forward from here. Is America a failed state and society? It looks truly possible. I guess we have to pick ourselves up and try to find a way forward, but this has been a night of terrible revelations, and I don’t think it’s self-indulgent to feel quite a lot of despair.

16. It ain’t over til the fat lady sings. And she hasn’t sung yet. I am in shock too. But I won’t go down until the last vote is counted. Get some rest. One way or another, we’re going to to have our work cut out for us in the morning.

18. Minkoff Minx says:

CNN said Hillary called Trump to concede. I can’t see what I am typing because of my tears.

19. Tiffany says:

I am seeing on twitter that apparently 61% of white women voted for trump. Well there goes my faith in feminism. Maybe there is truth in what the progressive/liberals males and womanists have been saying about how feminism is racism.

Feminism is racism? That makes no sense whatsoever.

• Tiffany says:

It did not make sense to me either but that is all I ever hear that feminism is white feminism. Considering the number of white women who voted for trump it just gives credence to the theory of white feminism.

No, because if those white women were feminists they would have voted for Hillary. I’m not buying this BS.

Hillary has conceded in a phone call to Donald Trump. The AP says he’s the next president.

Walked outside to look at the stars. Rare for it to be clear enough in November here to see stars at night. Imagined reaching down into the earth for strength. We will endure. Love to all of you and we will hold together.

We have the strength to endure, one breath at a time.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

For a distant focus:

Sunflower Galaxy apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

26. Minkoff Minx says:

They could not trust him with the fucking tweets and now he has everything. They are playing you can’t always get what you want after his speech.

• contrask says:

He never got permission from the Stones to use their music. He has destroyed almost every tenet of ethical behavior. How can I teach students the value of any of this when the president tramples it?

27. contrask says:

I can’t stand to read or watch. You guys don’t disappear – we need each other!

Paul Krugman says we’re probably looking at a global recession with no end in sight.

It was white women markets stabilized this morning.

Hillary’s concession speech is about now. I don’t have what it takes to watch it. I really can’t imagine living in Trump’s America. It’s like everyone I really hated in high school just took over the school.

• Minkoff Minx says:

This is what I’ve been so worried about since the very beginning. That Trump would win. And now that it has happened, I’m so scared. I can’t put my thoughts together in any way other than that phrase.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

30. contrask says:

I am ill. Could not sleep. And honestly, during a time or dozing off I swear I had a vision of the plague of locusts being dumped on the earth. I opened up and saw this thread and the header, then read the CNN headline. I just can’t believe it. Really, I am not a person of vengeance. I just don’t think I will even bother with “I told you so” when my republicans realize they’ve sent us to hell in a hand basket.

Here in Oklahoma we re-elected all the republicans, went for Trump in wider margin than predicted, and voted against a penny sales tax that was ear-marked for teacher raises. However, we can now buy 6 point beer and hard liquor in supermarkets, so it will be easier to drown our sorrows.

• Fannie says:

Yeah, get drunk and get stoned, that is all we need for those young people already addicted to drugs.

31. Sweet Sue says:

Our entire nest egg is in the stock market.
    What should we do to save ourselves?
    I’m sorry to be so selfish, but I don’t give a fuck about the country, anymore.
    I’m sixty six years old and can’t imagine ever having another happy or peaceful moment.

32. Ron says:

A magalmaniac with the backing of white supremacists. Really.

• Ron4Hills says:

Megalomaniac. The button got away from me.

I did not sleep.

Hills did not let us down. We let her down. The voters I mean.

She ran a flawless convention. Won every debate by a mile. Detailed her plans and navigated hostile gotcha press. She can’t vote for herself too.

I have one question. What can I do to ruin the lives of every motherfucker who voted for Jill Stein or Gary “The Dumbass” Johnson.

• Ron4Hills says:

The only issue that mattered was turnout.

33. Jslat says:

How? How?

34. janicen says:

I wonder how long Social Security will last. And the ACA. And Medicare. OMG I am sick about this.

• Beata says:

Not long. It’s going to be every person for themselves. Do what you have to do to survive.

• janicen says:

We will survive. All of us will, but we will be diminished and there are not enough years left in the lifetimes of most of us to make up what we will lose. Not just in money and net worth, but in what we think of ourselves as Americans.

• Fannie says:

Really and truly it has always been that way in our society. You know, this morning, my 12 year old grand daughter called, early, woke me up. Granny, Granny, I heard that Trump won, what are you going to do. I told her I would keep on loving her and my family, and try to be as steady as I could, and never let anyone like Trump hurt her or our Country. And that her mom, who is single, who just brought her first home ever, will struggle, but we will make sure we help her, and those around us that we can in order to survive. The schools are going to need good teachers, and helpers, because the bullying is going to be wilder than ever. The communities are going need courage!

• ANonOMouse says:

Trump vowed to repeal the ACA in the first 100 days. He said he would call a special session to do so. The trickle down from that will impact families who will no longer be able to keep their college age children on their insurance. It will remove the “pre-existing condition” ban. It will revoke the “no lifetime limit” which is what is saving families from bankruptcy. It will effect Medicare by reinstating the old system which required Seniors to pay for deductible plus 20% copay for services like Wellness checks, mammography, colonoscopy, heart health screening services, etc. It will devastate Medicaid by removing people from Medicaid rolls in States that use the AFA and by reducing services to Medicaid patients. And it will take healthcare from 20 million people overnight.

Elections have consequences.

35. TheRealKim says:

WTF have they done? I cannot believe that this buffoon was actually elected. I have taken down all social media and I guess this will be my refuge. I am actually frightened

I have no words. I can’t see any good coming from this at all. We’re fucked.

37. Jslat says:

You know what I really didn’t get before now is how much hate there is for Hillary. So many voted for him because of that. It’s breathtaking. I don’t know how she stands it!

38. Jslat says:

Good bye. I probably won’t be commenting for awhile. I need to decompress and block things out for awhile. Love you all. Be strong. We will be tested.
    And, BTW, I am so glad to live in Delaware. We got it right.

39. TheRealKim says:

Well I will be commenting for days. I feel I have nowhere else to go.

40. TheRealKim says:

And I keep thinking about her, how she must be feeling. My heart breaks for her.

My heart is broken

• TheRealKim says:

And I am sitting here trying to have lunch with some dude behind me talking about the “wall”. THERE’S NOT GOING TO BE A GOD DAMN WALL!!! Really where is he going to get the 25 or so billion dollars to build their freaking fracking wall.