Tuesday Reads: Hillary’s Triumph and Bernie’s Last Stand

Hillary in Philadelphia, April 25, 2016

Hillary in Philadelphia, April 25, 2016

Good Morning!!

It’s another super Tuesday, with five states holding primaries today. As always, we’ll have a live blog tonight so we can discuss the results–and celebrate! Hillary is looking very strong in all five contests.

From Penn.live, a recap of the highlight from Hillary’s MSNBC town hall last night: ‘I’m winning’: Hillary Clinton makes her closing argument to Pennsylvania.

In a town hall meeting sponsored by cable network MSNBC, the former Secretary of State drew bright line distinctions with her rival, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, on issues ranging from banking reform to college tuition assistance.

“I’ve been as specific as it’s possible to be in a campaign and i think voters responded to that,” Clinton told MSNBC host Rachel Maddow. “People want to not just understand what the problem is, but what we’re going to do about it. At the end of the day that’s what it’s all about.”

Under questioning from Maddow, Clinton also stressed something else: “I’m winning.”

Ahead on both the popular vote tally and all-important delegate count, Clinton appeared to brush aside Sanders’ recent suggestions that his support, if he fails to win the nomination at July’s Democratic National Convention here, might come with conditions.

Clinton said she offered her unqualified support to President Barack Obama after it became clear that he’d win the presidential nomination in 2008.

“I nominated him at the convention in Denver,” that year, Clinton said. “I spent an enormous amount of time convincing my supporters to support him … I hope we see the same thing this year.”

Sadly, Sanders doesn’t seem capable of the kind of humility and party loyalty Hillary demonstrated eight years ago.

Hillary in 2008

Bernie last night:

Bernie diehard Greg Sargent actually deigned to write about Hillary’s response to Bernie’s nastiness: Clinton just sharply rebuked Sanders. She made some good points.

With Hillary Clinton almost certainly on track to large wins in Maryland and Pennsylvania today, both sides’ supporters are revved up in a big way over a sharp exchange she and Bernie Sanders had at last night’s MSNBC town hall meeting, in which they battled over how the endgame of this contest should unfold.

In a statement that angered Clinton supporters, Sanders seemed to suggest that it’s all on Clinton to win over his supporters if she becomes the nominee, arguing that it will be “incumbent on her to tell millions of people” who have “serious misgivings” about her that she will be better on goals that matter to them, such as universal health care and getting big money out of politics.

In her reply, Clinton reminded the audience that she worked hard to unite the party behind Barack Obama after a bitter, hard fought primary in 2008 that ended with Obama leading her by less than she currently leads Sanders. Clinton added:

“We got to the end in June, and I did not put down conditions. I didn’t say, ‘you know what, if Senator Obama does X, Y, and Z, maybe I’ll support him.’ I said, ‘I’m supporting Senator Obama, because no matter what our differences might be, they pale in comparison to the differences between us and Republicans.’ That’s what I did.

“At that time, 40 percent of my supporters said they would not support him. So from the time I withdrew, until the time I nominated him — I nominated him at the convention in Denver — I spent an enormous amount of time convincing my supporters to support him. And I’m happy to say the vast majority did. That’s certainly what I did and I hope that we will see the same this year.”

Sargent goes on to make a number of criticisms of Clinton’s behavior in 2008. I’ll let you go read them at the link if you care enough. I don’t. Sargent has been a blatant defender of the Sanders campaign throughout the primaries, and I’m tired of his attitude. From twitter this morning:

Who is “sneering?” Oh yeah, the Bernie bros. And Bernie has been successful with young *white* people, not young people of color. I’m getting so sick of the genuflecting to a group of people who don’t even vote in large numbers!

From the Daily 202 at the WaPo: he Daily 202: Down-ballot women hope to ride the Hillary Clinton train in today’s Acela Primary.

Arlen Specter came off as badly, if not worse, than any other senator during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings.

The way he pilloried Anita Hill from his perch of authority on the Senate Judiciary Committee helped lead to “the Year of the Woman” in 1992. California, Washington and Illinois elected female senators. In Pennsylvania, Lynn Yeakel – the daughter of a former congressman – was able to capture the Democratic nod in a primary. But she narrowly lost to Specter.

That was the last time either major party in Pennsylvania nominated a woman for Senate or governor. Today all 20 members of the commonwealth’s congressional delegation are men

“All women candidates have different expectations placed upon them,” said Dana Brown, executive director of the nonpartisan Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics. “One of the greatest challenges that women have running in Pennsylvania is the incumbency advantage. We have a long history of incumbents winning time and again.”

Read about the women who could ride Hillary’s coattails at the link.

Sanders could have made a difference for some downballot Democrats too, if he cared about anyone but himself. From another Bernie diehard who sounds a bit disillusioned here: The man that Bernie Sanders forgot. Will Bunch wonders why Sanders didn’t endorse and raise money for a guy named John Fetterman.

Ask John Fetterman, the Harvard-trained mayor of a once-comatose western Pennsylvania steel town who looks like a biker-bar bouncer, whether this is the year of the outsider. Because if that were the case, he’d be well on his way to becoming a U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania.

But he’s not.

Good politics is good storytelling, and Fetterman has a hell of a story to tell about himself. It starts with a great character, a guy who stands 6-8 and weighs over 300 pounds, campaigning in a black workshirt and boots — not a blow-dried politician because there are no hairs to dry. He didn’t plan on becoming a politician, but when he showed up in Braddock, an iconic mill town near Pittsburgh that was shrinking into oblivion, to teach underprivileged children, he knew he wanted to save it. His experiences as mayor of Braddock gave him unorthodox ideas on how to solve crime and end the so-called “war on drugs,” while his wife — Gisele, who was born in Brazil and came to the U.S. undocumented — inspired him to push for common-sense immigration policies.

The only people I know who aren’t interested in Fetterman’s story are Democratic Party elites — the labor unions and various interest groups that make endorsements, and the money people who do their money thing that pays for political ads that reach the 90 percent of “normals” — i.e., people who don’t obsess over the politics the way that we do. The unusually telegenic Fetterman has gotten a lot of free media, which has helped him raise some small donations, which has paid for some creative ads — just enough, basically, to get him to about 8 percent in the polls. Only a miracle could bring him victory on Tuesday against two humdrum Democratic establishment candidates (Google them, if you must.)

This is where Bernie Sanders, the Vermont senator who jolted the 2016 race with his brewed-in-Burlington blend of democratic socialism, comes in. Because that’s one more thing that’s unique about John Fetterman — unlike almost all of Pennsylvania’s Democratic go-along-get-along insider cronies, the Braddock mayor has endorsed Sanders for president. Why wouldn’t he? Fetterman’s promises to shake up Washington and to end big-money politics and the useless “war on drugs” are EXACTLY what Sanders is talking about when he calls for a “political revolution.” ….

Think about it. Although Sanders is probably also going to lose Pennsylvania on Tuesday, he’s also on track — if you believe the polls — to get anywhere from 40-45 percent of the statewide Democratic vote. Imagine if Sanders and Fetterman had toured the Keystone State as “a ticket,” if it had been Fetterman popping up on stage after Susan Sarandon or Rosario Dawson to introduce the Vermont senator. If Fetterman could just tap into most of that 40-45 percent of the Democratic primary vote…he wins.

Why wouldn’t Sanders support this guy? Because Bernie doesn’t give a shit about anyone but Bernie. Read the rest of the sad story at the Philly.com link.

Hillary and Bill will be in Indiana this afternoon, and the last I heard she’ll hold her victory rally in Philadelphia tonight.

The polls in each of today’s five primary states–Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island, and Delaware–close at 8PM. We’ll get a post up sometime before that. Maryland could be a blowout; the others may take a little longer to call.

What are you hearing and reading?

Advertisements

86 Comments on “Tuesday Reads: Hillary’s Triumph and Bernie’s Last Stand”

This post is kind of half-assed and late, because I had computer problems this morning. But that’s OK, because today is going to be a fun day!

• Pat Johnson says:

I’ll be here! And many thanks to you bb who has walked me off the ledge so often when I found myself in my “Debbie Downer” mood because I am one who always needs assurance when the glass appears half empty,

We have been “cyber friends” for 8 years with our mutual respect for this amazing woman who has taken the blows and is still standing, She has earned this nomination and I expect she will be a wonderful president who will live up to our expectations because of who she is and what she represents.

Thanks for always being that “cyber friend” who did your homework for making this blog a safe place to express our opinions. This goes for Dak and JJ who put so much time and heart into the posts that draw so many of us to this site.

You are all so appreciated.

• Jslat says:

I so agree. This is the only blog that I’ve commented on in 8 years. The Front-page team and all the commented are so respectful and welcoming and Great Hillary Supporters! It’s a pleasure for me.

I’m so glad you’ll be here tonight, Pat! We’ve been at this together for so long.

• ANonOMouse says:

Ditto everything Pat said, but especially this part.

“Thanks for always being that “cyber friend” who did your homework for making this blog a safe place to express our opinions.”

I was getting my ass kicked around pretty badly before I found you! I think it was Pat and Beata who led me here. 🙂 It’s a great place to blog.

• Pat Johnson says:

Mouse and I got a lot of flack on another blog whenever we so graciously pointed out that Sarah Palin was an idiot but it was great fun to read Mouse’s hilarious comments!

She was and is laugh out loud funny! Always a good day when Mouse chimes in!

• Riverbird says:

Well said, Pat. I agree.

I’m just happy about our community here and I’m especially glad you’re part of it!!!

2. Jslat says:

Your post was just fine BB. We are all excited today. Here’s an article I love about Hillary’s character and leadership.

3. Jslat says:

The post just disappeared.

4. ANonOMouse says:

Watched the link of Hillary putting Barack’s name into Nomination and it was moving. Bernie doesn’t have the courage, the grace or the humility to do the same. Hillary understood the Historic precedence and impact of the moment, Bernie hasn’t a clue about the importance of the FIRST Woman nominee from a Major Party. So, he will sit on his hands, pout, grumble and become just another irrelevant historical footnote. Fuck Bernie Sanders.

Revenge of the Nerd: Bernie Sanders’ Political Ponzi Scheme.

• ANonOMouse says:

Good article!!! This line particularly appealed to me “round you up and ship you off to live on a vegan commune with leather-clad lesbians and gays in charge.” I wish he had been more specific about exactly where that is, 🙂 I might like to vacation there.

lol! I didn’t finish reading it yet. That sounds kind of bigoted.

• babama says:

Fun as that sounds, Bernie would never let the LGBT run the re education camps. Too much fun. You know darn well they will be run by the purity police, and the vegan food will be monochromatic shades of grey and brown and taste bad. Eat your gruel, you corporate whore!

• janicen says:

That is really interesting. I especially like some of the comments from people who were convention delegates.

• babama says:

Thanks for this link. Here in the Bay Area, it’s been Berniemania. I can barely listen to KPFA anymore, they’ve gone all Bernie all the time and full on anti Hillary right wing talking points. I hadn’t looked at CalBuzz for awhile so thanks for reminding me to check it out more often. Our house was canvassed last Sunday by a Bernie supporter, it was like getting a visit from the local Jehovah’s Witness. The pamphlet they left on our screen door had a similar tone and format. Time to put out a yard sign.

6. William says:

It still bothers me that Hillary was essentially forced out of the race in ’08, at a time when she probably was very close to Obama in delegates. The whole thing was really fixed from the start, with the algorithm put in where Black dominated districts got more delegates; and then the invalidating of FL and MI primaries which would have put her way ahead. They might as well have announced at the outset that Obama was going to be the nominee, and saved everyone the effort and money. But Hillary, who cares more about the country’s welfare than her ego, not only supported Obama, but nominated him and worked hard for him in the general election. The media, which didn’t want her then, either, was so happy that Obama was going to win, that they didn’t note how remarkable and graceful she was then.

Sanders’ “millions of people have grave reservations,” is simply appalling. I have followed politics a long time, and I do not recall any losing candidate making demands of the winner, that they accept this or that of his positions. Sometimes there is some quiet negotiation about those things. Sanders, who has never conceded a point in his life, apparently, is now setting out conditions for endorsing someone whom he has long said would be better on her worst day than the Republicans on their best. And it was somewhat amusing to see Maddow, who adores Sanders, trying to get Hillary to agree that she would change her positions for his benefit. I cannot conceive of Sanders enthusiastically going around the country to support Hillary. He doesn’t do that for anyone. The best we’ll get is some grudging comments. My concern is that he and his advisors will want his name put in nomination, and then to have floor fights about every platform plank, to the glee of the Republicans.

• Pat Johnson says:

Rachel’s unending support of Sanders is the biggest disappointment for me since I have always been a huge fan of hers.

• ANonOMouse says:

Just when I think Rachel is beginning to understand that Bernie is finished and she needs to stop being a covert surrogate, she tries to revive the dead horse. Bernie, for all practical purposes, is out of the race, stop beating the dead horse Rachel.

• Ron4Hills says:

As dense as Rachel can be when it comes to Hills, she is still many orders of magnitude better that Mika.

• ANonOMouse says:

True that! I can’t even watch Mika she makes me so angry. I gave up Mourning Slow long ago, but just reading and seeing clips of what she and Joe are saying is infuriating.

Many, many of us still burn thinking of the WWTSBQ pressure, and the betrayal of state after state who voted for Hillary in high numbers but turned and unanimously threw their delegates to Obama.

I’m hoping that this year, in a corresponding move which celebrates the historic and revolutionary nature of Hillary’s nomination, the states throw all their delegates to Hillary.

• quixote says:

I am and always will be angry about the way 2008 was stolen from Hillary Clinton. The media were prime collaborators in that garbage.

However, luckily Clinton has way better political instincts than I do! Her, to me, incomprehensible attitude has had good karma.

Of course, not so good that any male candidate would feel it appropriate to return the favor.

(I did say I was still angry, didn’t I?)

7. BREAKING: On @CNN w/ @wolfblitzer Jane Sanders wife of @SenSanders is NOT releasing those pesky TAX RETURNS! Transparency NOT! #Election2016 #Dems

• ANonOMouse says:

I figured this would happen. He knows he can’t win and he’s not going to open himself or Jane up to what these returns will reveal. Jane is getting income from the nuclear waste dumping company in VT which was part of a very controversial piece of legislation that Bernie supported. And then there’s the fact that Bernie isn’t so poor. He’s actually in the top 5% of income earners but paid an effective tax rate more in the 40-50k range. He actually paid a lower effective rate than my spouse and I paid and had an adjusted gross income of about 5 times more than we had. Mr Redistribution of Wealth really isn’t into it when it comes to himself.

We already know from the one tax return they released that they paid a lower percentage than Mitt Romney. I wonder how that happened?

• Jslat says:

Please tell me that she didn’t say they weren’t releasing them because Hillary hasn’t released the WS speeches.

8. Delphyne49 says:

Bernie Math.

“…add 10 momentum points for every state he’s won in a row, then multiply THAT by how much birds like him…”

9. janicen says:

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I’m getting closer and closer to the idea that Bernie’s entire candidacy started out as a spite move because the Clintons have never kissed his ass and concluded as a Republican ratfucking effort with the intent of beginning the process to wear down Hillary’s candidacy. They have even started the “Clinton fatigue” meme. I’ll be happy when the primary is over and we can move on to the general election.

10. janicen says:

By the way, for politics/election wonks, the CNN series “Race for the White House” has been excellent and the ’92 Clinton v. Bush race episode is currently available on demand. It’s worth a watch. It brings back so many memories but I learned a few things from it, including Hillary’s input and efforts to get Bill elected.

Remember when Bill was accused of infidelity with Jennifer Flowers and both Clintons appeared on 60 Minutes to talk about that? Well there was a moment, which was never shown by CBS, when one of the huge lights came crashing down and almost hit Hillary. Bill scooped her out of the way and then embraced her and soothed her in a really loving, caring way. It was never shown at the time because the media wanted us to think there was no love in that marriage and that it was only a marriage of convenience. You would never think that if you saw the CBS footage.

Here’s an interesting article on Bernie Sanders’ Wall Street investments.

I’m seeing on Twitter that turnout is very high in Baltimore and Philadelphia–especially in African American areas.

Entrance/exit polls coming in now.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Heh, heh, One of the comments was this plaintive cry:

sanders can at least win the asian ?

Don’t hold your breath, ‘bro!

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• Jslat says:

Not only is it 60% black, that constituency has a very active very politically astute core. They will deliver for her big-time.
      BTW, I’m a blue hen☺

From Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government:

CLINTON IN COMMANDING LEAD OVER TRUMP AMONG YOUNG VOTERS, HARVARD YOUTH POLL FINDS

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

I don’t know if this is legit, but early exits in PA show Hillary ahead by 22%,

18. List of X says:

Clinton was indeed very gracious in her loss to Obama AFTER she lost. I don’t remember her throwing her full unconditional support behind Obama before the primaries were over.
    So I’ll wait until Bernie is actually out – not firmly on the way there as he is now, but actually losing once Hillary reaches the majority of the delegates – to judge how his loser behavior matches up to Hillary’s in 2008.

She stopped attacking him in May when it was pretty clear he would win. The primary in 2008 was also very close. This one isn’t. She never attacked Obama in the personal and vicious way Bernie has attacked her. There’s just no comparison.

Bernie has no pathway to the nomination–none. After today his situation will be ridiculous. And he is finished in the Democratic Party unless he cleans up his act very quickly.

He should continue on until the end of the primaries, but he should stop the damaging and false attacks on Hillary’s character.

• List of X says:

I agree he should clean up his act and start focusing on November, but until he has officially lost, he is allowed to campaign as if the voters haven’t made their decision yet.

No one has suggested he should stop campaigning, but he should get back to the issues, IMHO.

It’s not a question of “allowed,” anyway. Hillary is a loyal Democrat and she behaved as such in 2008. She has also avoided personal attacks on Bernie because she is a loyal Democrat. Bernie not so much.

He has destroyed his own reputation and he’ll have to live with that from now on. If he is perceived to have caused a Republican to win the White House, that will never be forgotten for forgiven. Apparently, he’s OK with that.

• Ron4Hills says:

BernieBros and surrogates like Sarandon, Robbins and Dawson have crashed through the glass floor of classlessness. Just saying.

19. MsMass says:

Wishing Hillary the best of luck tonight- Break that glass ceiling!

20. Jslat says:

Polls close in one hour

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

• babama says:

I have tried to avoid personal criticism of Ms. Sanders, but she comes across as pretty bitter and authoritarian here. I don’t want any part of her “political revolution!

Agree.

What connection does releasing your own tax returns, something candidates are expected to do, with transcripts of private speeches?

22. Jslat says:

Looking at the demographics in the exit polls, I think Hillary is in for some VERY big wins. Fingers crossed! 30 minutes til polls close.

23. Jslat says:

Live blog up

24. Sweet Sue says:

Today, Trump and his minions have been suggesting to Bernie that he run as an independent.