Thursday Reads: Democratic Whores of the World, Unite!

Bernie and Jane: Fighting all those "Corporate Democratic Whores"

Bernie and Jane: Fighting all those “Corporate Democratic Whores”

Good Morning!!

So . . . tonight’s debate should be interesting. In the past few weeks, Bernie Sanders has been attacking Hillary Clinton in the most insulting, sexist, and damaging ways most decent people could possibly imagine.

He has implied again and again that she is corrupt, while providing no evidence. He has denigrated her as “the establishment” candidate and attacked anyone who endorses her as “the establishment”–even groups that provide support and services to women, like Planned Parenthood, NARAL, and Emily’s List. Last week, Sanders even baldly stated that Clinton is “unqualified” to be president.

Here’s the latest from a Sanders rally in NYC last night.

Here is the transcript, courtesy of Peter Daou:

Dr. Paul Song: Now Secretary Clinton has said that Medicare for all will never happen. [boos] Well, I agree with Secretary Clinton that Medicare for all will never happen if we have a president who never aspires for something greater than the status quo. [cheers] Medicare for all will never happen if we continue to elect corporate Democratic whores[cheers] who are beholden to big pharma and the private insurance industry instead of us.”

The next speaker, Rosario Dawson, said that Clinton is responsible for the hundreds of thousands of deaths in the Middle East and elsewhere. Finally, Sanders arrived at the podium and thanked the previous speakers for their “great introductions.”

Twitter exploded. Dr. Song eventually provided a non-apology.

This morning, Bernie Sanders campaign sent another non-apology.

Not good enough. Too little, too late. Sen. Sanders and Dr. Song should apologize to Hillary Clinton and to Democrats generally. And let’s not forget that President Obama is among the “Democratic whores” too, since he failed to get single payer health care.

This kind of behavior from a presidential campaign is simply unacceptable. Sanders is no better than Trump, IMO.

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 13: Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks during the Bernie Sanders rally at Washington Square Park on April 13, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Mireya Acierto/FilmMagic)

NEW YORK, NY – APRIL 13: Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks during the Bernie Sanders rally at Washington Square Park on April 13, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Mireya Acierto/FilmMagic)

According to CNN, Sanders said the following about Hillary Clinton the day after he first said she was “unqualified” and after it was explained to him that Hillary had never called him “unqualified.”

“When you voted for the war in Iraq, the most disastrous foreign policy blunder in the history of America, you might want to question your qualifications. When you voted for trade agreements that cost millions of Americans decent paying jobs, and the American people might want to wonder about your qualifications. When you’re spending an enormous amount of time raising money for your super PAC from some of the wealthiest people in this country, and from some of the most outrageous special interests … Are you qualified to be president of the United States when you’re raising millions of dollars from Wall Street whose greed and recklessness helped destroy our economy?”

This has been the theme of Sanders’ attacks on Clinton from the beginning. He has implied again and again that she is corrupt and that any campaign contributions she receives or speeches she makes involve some kind of quid pro quo. He never provides any evidence for these accusations.

Can any intelligent observer really doubt that terms like “corporate Democratic whores” come from the Sanders campaign itself? If they will say the kinds of things they have been saying in public, what must they be saying behind closed doors when the media isn’t listening? Sometimes those sneering private epithets slip out when the rest of us can hear them. That is likely what happened last night. And it was ugly.

For months, Sanders has allowed his supporters to boo and hiss Hillary’s name at his rallies and he has done nothing to stop them from trolling people on social media and even harassing superdelegates in their homes. Where will it end? Will Sanders be proud of himself when excerpts from his speeches and his surrogates’ speeches turn up in Republican campaign ads in the Fall?

Dr. Paul Y. Song

Dr. Paul Y. Song

#DemocraticWhores is currently trending on Twitter, and my guess is this will continue to be a story in the build-up to tonight’s debate. After the debate, Jane and Bernie Sanders will travel to Rome where Bernie will give a 10-minute presentation at an academic conference.

Interestingly, Dr. Paul Song is married to journalist Lisa Ling, who supports Clinton. Ling’s sister Laura Ling was released from captivity in North Korea with help from former President Bill Clinton.

A couple of media links to this story:

NBC News: Sanders Under Fire for Supporter’s ‘Whores’ Remarks.

Slate: Bernie’s Latest Bro Headache Involves a Supporter’s Remarks About “Corporate Democratic Whores.”

I expect there will be more as the day goes on.

The Daily Mail reports that Jane Sanders declined to address the situation in an appearance on CNN this morning.

Jane Sanders, wife of Sen. Bernie Sanders, didn’t apologize when asked about comments a surrogate made from the stage of the presidential hopeful’s New York City rally last night.

Healthcare activist Paul Song labeled those who chose to keep the current private healthcare system intact, like Hillary Clinton, instead of advocating for a Medicare-for-all plan, like Sanders, ‘Democratic whores.’

When Jane Sanders was asked about it by CNN’s Chris Cuomo she seemed miffed.

‘I’m sorry, I didn’t hear it at all,’ Sanders said. ‘It’s a strange choice of words and I can’t imagine anybody was speaking about Secretary Clinton that way.’

Really? It’s difficult to believe that Jane is not aware of the behavior of her husband’s supporters on social media. She certainly has to have heard the catcalls when Clinton is mentioned at her husband’s rallies. How could she not?

Asked about whether the campaign should own the comments and react, Sanders said yes, but also went on the attack.

‘Well, I think all campaigns really need to take some responsibility for what surrogates said,’ Jane Sanders replied. ‘A mischoice of words is not as important as trying to carry out a strategy of trying to disqualify people or try to make them feel less-than.’

Here Jane Sanders seemed to be bringing back up a tiff between the two Democratic camps that began when Clinton refused to say whether Sanders was qualified to be president during an interview on Morning Joe….

Jane Sanders indicated she would not soon forgive those digs from Clinton in her comments this morning.

‘I think there’s a lot of that to go around,’ she said.

It might be time to stop using Jane as a surrogate. She had a very bad day yesterday too. Yesterday the New York Daily News endorsed Hillary Clinton. Jane whined to CNN yesterday that the Daily News interview that Bernie flubbed so badly was “odd” and “more of an inquisition.” The newspaper then wrote up her remarks in a prominent article.

Jane Sanders1

Jane Sanders told CNN that she and her husband discussed his performance after the April 1 meeting. She attributed the Vermont senator’s curt responses, which were considered vague by a number of critics, to the meeting’s quick pace and said a reading of the transcript alone wouldn’t lend itself to a fair assessment.

“I was in that interview, listening, and it was a conversation,” Jane Sanders told CNN’s Brooke Baldwin. “When you see only words down, it doesn’t quite give the flavor of it.

How embarrassing. Maybe her time would be better spent going back to Vermont to find Bernie’s tax returns so he can release them–as Hillary did with hers long ago. But first the Sanders’ will have their Roman Holiday, which reportedly will not include any meeting with the Pope, according to Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi (NYT).

Jane also appeared on Morning Joe this today, where she complained about the rules for the New York primary. TPM: Jane Sanders Expresses Concern Over Closed New York Primary: It’s ‘Silly.’

Sanders said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that she wouldn’t go as far as calling the Democratic nominating process a rigged system, but argued that there should be same-day registration as well as open primaries and caucuses.

“We have a lot of those—probably a lot of those people out there in the crowd—hopefully a small number, comparatively, are not even able to vote in this election because they didn’t change their registration to Democrat last October when they hadn’t even heard of Bernie Sanders,” Jane Sanders said. “Those kinds of things seem silly. We’re bringing more a lot more people into the party and the party is shutting the door on them. That seems counterproductive to the long-term goals.”

If these Bernie supporters live in New York and wanted to vote, they could have checked the rules and made sure to be registered in time. The Sanders campaign could even have provided the information to supporters. What a concept!

I think every primary and caucus should be closed. Why should non-Democrats choose the party’s nominee?

Jane also said that Hillary Clinton will not have enough delegates to win the nomination outright.

“Going into the convention I think she’ll be just short and we’ll hopefully be just short and I think then we’ll have a discussion about what the best way to go,” Sanders said.

We’ll see. I’m not sure how many superdelegates (AKA “Democratic whores”) are going to support Bernie’s efforts to overthrow the popular vote.

Again, tonight’s debate should be very interesting. It will be on CNN from 9-11, and we’ll have a live blog for discussion, as usual.

I guess you can tell I’m really angry about this. I’ll leave it to you to let me know what else is happening in the world. What stories have you been following?

74 Comments on “Thursday Reads: Democratic Whores of the World, Unite!”

Rosario Dawson says that Hillary only cares about women’s rights in the U.S.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

From NY Daily News:

“The word ‘whore’ is about women & perceptions of immorality & greed. ‘Corporate whore’ is an insult because ‘whore’ means something,” writer and lawyer Jill Filipovic tweeted.

“Pro-tip: Just refrain from calling ANY public official a whore. Will save you from having to explain & apologize,” Mo Elleithee, the director Georgetown’s Institute of Politics and Public Service, added.

3. Sweet Sue says:

If I were Linda Ling, I’d never speak to my “bro” in law again.
    She and her colleague would still be sitting in a North Korean jail if those two Democratic whores, Bill and Hillary Clinton, hadn’t arranged their release.
    My contempt for the Sanders’ campaign is boundless.

Sue, you said everything I’m thinking, and without the profanity!

(BTW the former detainee’s first name is Laura rather than Linda.)

• Sweet Sue says:

Thanks Luna and for the correction; I’m so livid I can barely see to type.

• ANonOMouse says:

“Sue, you said everything I’m thinking, and without the profanity!”

Here, let me handle the profanity part.

Mr. Sanders: You are disgraceful. I’m sick to hell of the goddam bullshit that emanates from every campaign event you stage. Your campaign staff behaves like a bunch of school yard bullies. Your surrogates are disrespect, sexist, assholes. And your bernbros are ignorant, sexist arrogant slugs. I thought you were a “clean” campaigner, but obviously you’re not. If your surrogates think Hillary is a “whore”, then all of us who support her are also whores AND FUCKING PROUD OF IT!!

Love,

WhoreMouse

• Delphyne49 says:

Hahahaha! I ❤ you, WhoreMouse!

• Delphyne49 says:

• babama says:

QueenBey comes to mind:

Hail!

Back when we were younger and my wife (who shares JJ’s birthday and was 52 yesterday, we’ve been together half her life) first went to work for a very big, Big Pharma, in R & D, I used to make her a special after work cocktail I called “The Corporate Whore”:

2 oz good vodka
          2 oz pomegranate juice
          juice from half a lime
          thumbnail sized slice of ginger, crushed

mix together, shake with ice, strain, garnish with ginger and lime peel & skoal!

Its been awhile. I’ve put the vodka in the freezer and I’m gonna have ’em all ready for the debate tonite. So many good drinking phrases; “bought and paid for”, “corrupt”, “wall street”, “millionaires and billionaires” oh my! What to choose?

Seriously, I am so f’in done with B & J Sanders. Just go away, already. I had been hoping he’d bow out gracefully over “health” reasons, nothing too bad. Now I would not be sorry to see a scandal that would end their careers completely. Go back to Lily White Vermont and retire. Rant and point your fingers from your porch.

• Fannie says:

Thank God for the decent whores in our society, those who demand your freedom, work it and show up at the door to get you the minute you are released from prison. I’d like to see an interview with Laura Ling, and want to hear about her freedom, and how it feels. I’d like to hear about the others who are rotting in the very prison she was set free from. The American whores care about them too. They were there to hug her, and take her back home.
      When someone does something like that you don’t ever forget.

Precisely Sweet Sue, I’d never speak to my bro in law again, and never vote for a creep like Bernie. I’ve had as much as I am going to take.

Mrs. De Blasio on CNN:

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Calling the other candidate a “whore,” and insulters their supporters as stupid voters, and insinuating southern A-A voters are “Confederates” is not a way to win anyone to your side.

Oh, and comparing an interview with the NYDN to an “inquisition” because it went too fast and was the 5th interview of the morning shows that you are not qualified to be President. When you get that 3 a.m. call as Commander in Chief you can’t say “Call me back after 10.”

Well said.

• Enheduanna says:

I don’t even get the logic in the “southern voters don’t count” argument. If southern voters are decisive in nominating the candidate who succeeds in the general – then it seems to me they had a pretty yuuuuge say-so in the outcome.

• babama says:

“southern voters don’t count” = black votes don’t matter. It’s a dog whistle. Bernie is a white (and male) supremacist progressive, his coalition is the white disaffected. It is a repudiation of the modern Democratic Party.

• Carolyn Kay says:

I think the argument is that the states Hillary has won in the South won’t cast a majority of their votes for any Democrat, ever. But they’re wrong about some of them, especially if Trump manages to win the Republican nomination. – http://bit.ly/1TVVnUL

6. Delphyne49 says:

Here’s a link to the letter that Bernie DID provide to his supporters about the final date to change voter affiliation in NY.

7. purplefinn says:

From your Jane Sanders quote; “We’re bringing more a lot more people into the party and the party is shutting the door on them.”

They are energizing a lot of voters, but I doubt that they’re bringing them into the party. The Sanders camp can’t have it both ways – denigrate the Democratic Party and garner loyalty for/from the Democratic Party.

Changing one’s affiliation in order to vote in a primary is not necessarily committing any loyalty or support to that party.

If they were energizing that many voters, the turnout would have been higher.

• ANonOMouse says:

I read some news reports this morning that put the estimated attendance at about 15k. The 27k is coming from Bernie’s camp. And holding this event in the city that never sleeps that has a population of about 9 million people the turnout is unremarkable. Between the tourists and the people that live in and near that neighborhood and given the fact that a free concert preceded the event, I would have figured Bernie would have drawn a lot more people. Hell, if there was a free concert in my neighborhood with famous people in attendance, I’d go!!

• Fannie says:

If that were true, how come Hillary has 2.5 million more voters?

• purplefinn says:

My point was that they’re not bringing them into the party. If Sanders isn’t energizing a lot of people, why am I volunteering weekly at our local Hillary campaign office? Is it really in the bag? Of course, I hope so, and I believe that Hillary will win NY and PA and more as expected. But I definitely want to help GOTV. I wish he weren’t energizing people. Especially the people I know and respect. I’m wracking my brain as to why they can’t see that Hillary would make the better president. I’ve thrown away my vote before on long shots that probably weren’t the most qualified. But many of these people are as old as I am.

8. ANonOMouse says:

More BS from the BS campaign. No one kept anyone from registering to vote in the Democratic Primary. With each passing day they sound more and more like the Trump Campaign.

9. William says:

Sanders & Wife have complained about absolutely everything. All the primaries should be open so he can stack them with Republicans. The Southern states don’t count because they are mostly Red, but the Western Red states like Idaho, Utah, and Alaska, are all great wins for him. The newspaper editorial board interviews are unfair. It isn’t fair to ask for the tax returns because they are in a drawer somewhere. The radio show interview in Arizona was unfair, so he walked off the set. There should not be superdelegates. He should get all the superdelegates in states he wins, but still get some in states he loses. The Southern states should go later in the primary calendar. The Establishment is against him. Everything is rigged.

This is completely reflective of a candidate and campaign which will never accept any kind of defeat, or that anyone might differ from them without it being due to the former being bought or corrupt or not even qualified. This is frankly the approach used by classic revolutionary Marxists and by Fascists. Sanders does not “discuss issues,” he simply lectures everyone else about how right he is. It is doctrinaire, cultish, even totalitarian. Whatever his campaign started as, it has now completely turned into an angry, hostile, personal, take no prisoners war. I try to imagine how it will end, how Sanders might exit with some dignity and class; and it is hard for me to see. And he has inculcated many of his followers with the same scorched earth approach to politics, and presumably everything else.

• Enheduanna says:

The photo BB used at the top of the post is just awful – look how angry Bernie is! At least jane is looking somewhat amused. If that’s an “official” campaign photo – wow. When you can’t smile for a (what looks like) professional, posed photo shoot, that would indicate a lot of anger.

You also make an excellent point about his influence on the young people supporting him. He started out great but it’s devolved into petty tit-for-tat. I’m sure his supporters still think he’s squeaky clean (they probably blame Devine for the worst of it).

I’m still pissed he told everyone “the Pope” invited him. NOT

• You are making the same observations I’ve made William. Thank you for putting it into words.

10. Fannie says:

Thank you BB, and sky dancers. I have now lost all respect for Bernie Sanders, he is not a decent man, and I am no so sure now that I will vote for him. As I continue to observe his sexism and racism, I don’t know if I can lend him my support, or my vote. To me he represents a closed door.

While he is on tv, talking about voting rights (Hillary’s main concern from the beginning), she is showing us that actions speak louder than words!

Hillary Clinton’s campaign is suing Arizona, Ohio, Virginia, Wisc. and North Carolina over voting rights restrictions. Maricopa Co. Az. has cut polling places by 85% since 2005. This is Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s County, and you might recall a visit by Ms. Jane Sanders, who took her under his wings.

11. Pat Johnson says:

I am sick to death of Bernie Sanders. An insulting, demeaning POS no different than Trump. Both arrogant and entitled idiots who believe they are above the fray. Wrong!

Bernie will not win the nomination. So far he has insulted the Democratic Party and many of the voters while disparaging a woman far better qualified to lead this nation then he ever will. And he knows it.

I hope she blows him put of the water tonight and next Tuesday by sending him back to the Senate and wraps this thing up for good!

12. Jslat says:

I wonder if the slow pace in releasing the Bern’s tax returns is because they’re being privately audited. If Mrs Bern did them, there may be some issues, probably not illegality but ineptness on her part. They might want to double-check them and refile. (Will be interesting…..)

• Enheduanna says:

Other speculation is that he doesn’t want to admit he’s a millionaire – hahahahaha! Apparently they have two homes and just sold a third one.

13. vger says:

She needs to put him away with the next few primaries. End of story. Enough BS.

14. ANonOMouse says:

Nip it Bernie, before we release the whores.

Love,

WhoresForHillary

15. Jslat says:

Just read in Newsweek that Connecticut judge denied motion by gun companies to dismiss the lawsuit brought by the Sandy Hook families.

Timing of this is great for Hillary. Bernie will have some splaining to do …

17. MsMass says:

Not your Sweetie has an interesting entry about Mr ” corporate Democratic whores”-
    “Ron Paulistas think Dems are whores – BS thanks them for it”
    (You might remember her from 2008).
    It made me go- hmmmmm……….