Live Blog/Open Thread: CNN “Final Five” Interviews

2016-primaries-have-media-worked-up-but-election-betters-are-yawning-opinion-images

Good Evening Sky Dancers!!

The good news is that it’s the first day of Spring. The bad news is this endless primary campaign is only about half over.

There’s some kind of town-hall-type thing on CNN tonight from 8-11PM ET. So here’s a thread to discuss the goings on if you are so inclined. You can also feel free to treat this as an open thread and talk about whatever else is on your mind.

Raw Story has the basics:

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), as well as their GOP counterparts Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, will take part in a three-hour event on CNN starting at 8 p.m. EST on Monday.

The “Final Five” broadcast, as the network has dubbed it, will feature interviews with all of the candidates. It was put together in the wake of the cancellation of a Fox News Republican candidate debate. That event was scrubbed after both Trump — the Republican front-runner — and Kasich bowed out.

The even will be live streamed at CNN. Raw story is also offering a live stream at the link above.

Read this one at the link. Eric Bradner at CNN: What to watch for on ‘The Final Five’ Monday night. The article basically summarizes each candidate’s argument for why he or she should be the nominee of his party (according to Bradner).

Stories to check out before or during the broadcast:

Slate: Here’s What We Know About Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy Advisers.

NYT: Most Republicans Feel Embarrassed by Campaign, Poll Says.

Reuters: Obama spars with Castro on human rights during historic Cuba visit.

NBC News: U.S. Supreme Court Declines to Referee State Disputes Over Marijuana.

WaPo: Today’s winning Google Doodle invoking Black Lives Matter was designed by high school sophomore.

Vice: He Skipped AIPAC, but Here’s Bernie Sanders’ Plan for Peace Between Israel and Palestine

LA Times: Hillary Clinton challenges Donald Trump over ‘dangerously wrong’ views on Israel

36 Comments on “Live Blog/Open Thread: CNN “Final Five” Interviews”

I’m not sure I can watch this. I’ll try; but my chest cold turned into a sinus infection and I don’t feel so great.

I’m signed up to attend a Hillary event tomorrow! In Everett (about half to a whole hour North of Seattle, depending on traffic). There are also events in the state at which Chelsea or Bill are speaking.

The media mentioned Sanders’ events a while in advance, but the only mention of Hillary’s appearances here was about a private and pricey ($2,500) fundraiser until a few days ago. The contrast didn’t look good. Hmmm. Did her campaign not plan well, or did the MSM decide that Sanders’ events were more newsworthy than Hillary’s?

• Fannie says:

Starting tomorrow at 7 pm. the dems here in Idaho will be in caucus in all 44 counties here in Idaho. Susan Sarandon opened up Sanders rally in Boise today. Everybody, told he she was the best evah. I was looking forward to telling her a thing or two, but she will not be in Boise tomorrow night. I am going to hope for one damn thing to happen at the caucus, and if happens, you’ll be the first to know. I have a few I hope will move over to Hillary. That would be the greatest thing evah. All 17 year olds can caucus here for those who will be 18 by election day.

One of the good things is a shuttle to and from. But it needs to go all over, not just around Boise. But on the outskirts of Boise.

By the way, I hope Hillary does come to Boise, I’d be there a split second.

🙂

The Hillary info lists caucus time and says to show up 1/2 hr earlier. Got mailed a Bernie flyer that wanted people to arrive 1 hr earlier. Maybe I should pretend to be one so I can hear whatever it is they’re planning for a whole hour. Other than waste everyone’s time when the caucus actually does get started.

3. Fannie says:

Hope you feel better BB. I am checking in for tonight. First of all, I couldn’t believe, yet another free interview with Trumphy by Wolf on CNN. I swear every other sentence was about MONEY. You know how Wolf loves to play into Trumphy by saying to him, just tell Americans you don’t believe in violence, in riots. Five minutes later, he says to us all, you can believe what I say. Then on AIPAC, where he was reading his speech. You would be thinking that the only other country in the world is Israel. Not to worry, because there will be plenty of times when he doesn’t have the telertrumper. I kept watching for the green lights, yellow lights, and red lights to off and on during his speech. Especially after he said he was moving the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Green light go, yellow slow down, red stop and let everybody clap for Trumpy. Isn’t he smart. Not.

• Fannie says:

I know it’s not Bunny………..but Bonnie, and I couldn’t help but think of this song…….

4. Fannie says:

https://youtu.be/VR3LhX6oE3s Ray Charles, My Bunny lies over the Ocean.

5. purplefinn says:

Listening to Kasich. He sounds kind of whiny.

6. Dee says:

Here is something to do during the commercial breaks – The Bitter Mind of Bernard

I am just a few years younger than BS and this article brings back all the awful memories of my 20s when I was a raging feminists and guys… and guys… and guys expected you to iron their shirts by the third date and clean their apartment by the 5th date. I made the choice to stop dating men,

• Riverbird says:

Thanks for the link. It brings back memories of the women’s liberation movement for me, too. I remember seeing Help Wanted-Men and Help Wanted-Women ads in the San Francisco Chronicle. I remember being kicked out of court reporter school on the first day because I wouldn’t go home and change out of my pant suit to a skirt.

So now Bernie calls himself a feminist. Perhaps he’s changed indeed. But to write that — and what’s worse, think it worthy of publication (and unfortunately someone else thought so) — even in 1972 is still appalling to me.

• janicen says:

That was really good. Thanks, Dee.

7. purplefinn says:

Trump doesn’t know exactly what he will do, but everything he does will be better than what Obama did. “Anything you can do I can do better. I can do anything…..

Hillary showing she knows her stuff again!

9. Dee says:

She is so comfortable. There is no policy question she can not answer. Such confidence.

Well, until he just accused her of stealing issues from him and being close to corrupt powers that be. Sheesh.

Whiner. He’s got to make shit up. She’s always been concerned with improving the lot of women & children, with health, helping the middle class and the underserved, education, fair pay… and on and on. Back when she was working for the Children’s Defense Fund he was writing puerile chain-of-thought crap on abusing women.