Live Blog/Open Thread: More Democratic Town Halls? Please Stop.

Town Hall Meeting, by Helen Shideler

Town Hall Meeting, by Helen Shideler

Yes, another one! Here’s a fresh thread to document the atrocities. Naturally, Bernie goes first. Here’s the lowdown:

MSNBC Hosts Democratic Town Hall Doubleheader on Eve of Tuesday’s Primaries.

MSNBC will host back-to-back town halls with both Democratic presidential candidates in two key states tonight, March 14, just hours before voters go to the polls for Tuesday’s make-or-break primaries.

First, Senator Bernie Sanders will join moderator Chuck Todd in Columbus, Ohio for an hour-long event airing at 6 p.m. ET. Then, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton takes questions at a town hall moderated by Chris Matthews in Springfield, Illinois, airing at 7 p.m. ET.

Chuck Todd is the NBC News political director, moderator of “Meet the Press,” and anchor of MSNBC’s “MTP Daily.” Chris Matthews is the host of MSNBC’s “Hardball.”

I was wrong about Rachel Maddow being the one to talk to Hillary, and I’m happy about that. At 8:00, MSNBC will have another town hall with John Kasich. I plan to give that one a miss.

Some headlines to check out either before or during the town halls

The Guardian: Vladimir Putin orders start of Russian forces’ withdrawal from Syria.

NBC News: Palin Cancels Trump Event After Husband in ‘Serious’ Snow Machine Crash.

NYT: Mitt Romney Campaigns with John Kasich, Telling Ohioans “America’s Counting on You.”

WaPo: While Hillary Clinton’s delegate lead over Bernie Sanders is bigger than it looks.

USA Today: Poll shows that Millennials would flock to Clinton against Trump.

WaPo: The planet had its biggest temperature spike in modern history in February.

I’m just exhausted with these debates and town halls, but I’ll hang out in the comments. Echoing Dakinikat from last night: Please don’t leave me all alone!

42 Comments on “Live Blog/Open Thread: More Democratic Town Halls? Please Stop.”

I can’t wait until tomorrow. Let’s hope we get a break from having to watch/listen to Bernie scream and wave his arms around.

2. ANonOMouse says:

“I was wrong about Rachel Maddow being the one to talk to Hillary, and I’m happy about that.”

Finally, some good news

• Pat Johnson says:

She sure has been a major disappointment with all her “Bernie” love. She is unable to hide it.

3. purplefinn says:

Thanks BB for doing this hard work. We need you and appreciate you! Sky Dancing is my first blog go-to.

4. Pat Johnson says:

I have come to disrespect Bernie and I will tell you why:

He is little known outside the state of Vermont but in recent years he was heard on MSNBC making a case about the shrinking middle class and the millionaire/billionaire boon brought on strictly by the GOP. No problem with the message. However, that new found publicity went to his head. His one issue campaign, replete with promises of “freebies” for education found its mark with a generation of younger voters who have never known adversity but like the sound of a free ride.

Hillary Clinton may not be a “perfect” candidate but who is? Certainly not sainted Bernie who up until a few months ago no one ever heard of. No known bills with his name attached. Nothing to suggest in all his years of government servicSe that he ever led any fight on his own that would have garnered this “huge support” that the MSM is promoting. Until a few months ago he was to a Democrat but a Socialist. What gives?

Bernie’s message is not much different than Hillary’s. For him to remain in the race, judging the odds against her already from years of slander by the GOP, it is time for Bernie to reassess.

At 75 he believes that if nominated a “surge” of voters will overthrow the current members of congress thus establishing that “revolution” he has predicted but has no bearing in reality. That surge may not happen until after the next congressional survey that may, or may not, call for redrawing of districts.unfavorable to the GOP. Delusional thinking at its best.

As long as he remains a “contender” he opens her up to more garbage created by the GOP. If his loyal subjects have their way they have promised to cross over and vote for Trump. The nation cannot withstand that possibility.

She needs his help. He is withholding it because of his ego which refuses to ever accept that he might be dead wrong about his chances. In the meantime he will be aiding and abetting the GOP because Bernie views himself as “pure”. Someone who praises Castro is never pure but kidding himself that that form of government is somehow better than our democracy, crazy as it can be at times and those times are with us now.

I do not respect Bernie or his minions who have it in their power to hand this election over to a Donald Trump or a Ted Cruz. Years of progress stand to be eliminated under their watch. And should that happen I will hold Bernie Sanders and his idiot “revolution” to blame.

I fear, even if he should lose this nomination, he will find a way to punish Hillary Clinton one way or another.

Now is the time to consider just what it is that he wishes to achieve and come to reason. If not then the next few months will be brutal for both candidates while the GOP will be only to happy to sit back and gloat.

Get out of the way, Bernie. She has all the experience, brains, and expertise to serve this nation so much better than you, a hostile congress, and your teen aged fans who do not have a clue.

• ANonOMouse says:

Bernie’s a phony!!! The problem with Bernie as I see it is that he’s determined to destroy her for his own gain. Of course she has contrasted her position with his, but her rhetoric isn’t ugly, Bernie’s is!!!

Sorry you guys. I tried to watch Bernie, but I just couldn’t stomach it.

• janicen says:

Your coverage of these things has been outstanding, bb. You don’t need to apologize for anything. I’m convinced that this barrage of debates and town halls is designed to generate Clinton fatigue to hurt her in the general. There is nothing more to be debated between Sanders and Clinton.

Thanks, Janicen. I really hope that’s not true. Honestly, I think Clinton has does done so well though. When people see her and listen to her, they find out she’s not the person the media portrays.

• purplefinn says:

Good point. She wins me over again and again.

• Sweet Sue says:

That’s so true; Hillary really shines in the Town Hall setting.
          An unfiltered Hillary must be quite the revelation to many voters.

• Fannie says:

Agree that your coverage has been outstanding. Don’t know where we would be without you. One thing is for sure, tonight she was SHARP at the town hall with Chris Matthews.

She was so great! Thank you BB.

6. Valhalla says:

Fortunately for me, I didn’t see this abou the THs until right now, just in time to miss Sanders’ and see Clintons’.

I’m a little anxious though, because Tweetie hates Clinton.

He doesn’t hate her. He’s the only one on MSNBC who has been positive toward her.

• Valhalla says:

Fair enough, I’m just having flashbacks to 2008. But watching him now he’s being challenging but not stupid to her.

He is being pretty nasty, but Hillary is giving clear answers. No way could Bernie do that.

Did I hear Bernie say that high levels of black incarceration and unemployment are class issues? Was I right on that?

8. ANonOMouse says:

This isn’t a Town Hall, this is an ambush.

Hillary is showing viewers what she is made of. She is brilliant. If people can’t that, they’re blind.

• ANonOMouse says:

I agree she is brilliant, still I think the questions were one’s that have been asked of her repeatedly since 2008 and answered. Finally a question from a person in the Town Hall.

• Valhalla says:

I am seeing as you do, bb. His intention may be to throw her off for all I know, but she’s right back at him. She’s showcasing everything that makes such a great choice for President.

He did get pretty stuck on the Iraq war vote, though.

• Sweet Sue says:

I agree 100%.

• Fannie says:

She wasn’t trying to be a pedlar, like Bernie Sanders. She was delivering a message of who she was, and what she did, and she put things in place, so we understood what she meant. I hope people were really paying attention. I liked the camera was focused on her eyes.

9. Ron4Hills says:

Chris fucking Matthews! He is badgering her and going after Hills like a bulldog. WTF. She doesn’t give an inch but the tone is so harsh it is like the so-called moderator saying, ” Admit it you don’t deserve to be president.” Fuck him. Is Zell Miller alive or dead. I want him to kick Chris’s ass for old time sake!

• ANonOMouse says:

I agree Ron. I thought his approach to her was hostile and intimidating, but she held her own and answered his questions with poise and grace. Matthews thinks he’s some sort of political history guru, but Hillary is much more knowledgeable than Matthews. Regardless, I think she did very well.

• Ron4Hills says:

Every name, every fact, every event, on the tip of her tongue. She is brilliant. .

• Delphyne49 says:

Hillary did beautifully with Matthews. She held her own, wasn’t intimidated by him, kept his interruptions down and seemed to get stronger as the hour went on.

I don’t know how she was able not to laugh at him or at least roll her eyes – he reminds me of Buck Laughlin in the movie Best in Show. Seriously – how can he be taken seriously?

10. roofingbird says:

First time I ever liked Mathews. She needed that.

• Valhalla says:

I thought they both looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

• janicen says:

Tweety’s wife, Kathleen, is running for the Democratic nomination for the congressional seat in Maryland’s 8th district, a solid Democratic district. If she wins the primary in April, she will get elected. I’m sure Tweety had to walk a fine line between appearing to be tough on Hillz and yet not alienating her by taking cheap shots. His wife can use all the help she can get, she’s running slightly behind in the polls. Hillary and Kathleen could be helpful to each other.

11. Dee says:

I was thinking about Ohio and Hillary’s One True Friend. So, I watched this video and saw something interesting at 2:50 min.

Tribute to Stephanie Tubbs Jones who was the first black Congresswoman representing Ohio and the first black woman to serve on the House Ways and Means committee. She was one of Hillary Clinton’s true friends and a real Democrat.

• Fannie says:

Another classy lady! I loved her burst of energy, her approach to life, and her politics. When she passed, I couldn’t think of nothing but the song “the sun ain’t going to shine anymore.”

Jane Sanders is in Arizona and ended up doing a photo op with Sheriff Joe Arpaio! He ambushed her, but why didn’t campaign staff intervene?