Misogyny is Everywhere

No. That picture isn’t a joke.  Some Brit jean company thinks putting “Give it to your woman, it’s her job” on the washing instructions is snarky.

We are not amused.

Jeans sold at the UK store Madhouse made headlines this week after British journalist Emma Barnett picked up her boyfriend’s jeans while tidying the house.

On the washing-instructions tag, she read “machine wash warm.” Under that was the washing advice that would quickly set off a Twitter firestorm:

“OR — GIVE IT TO YOUR WOMAN, IT’S HER JOB.”

It’s so rampant these days that even Kristen Powers “hijacked” Hannity about misogynistic sermons.

On Tuesday night, Kirsten Powers joined Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson on Sean Hannity‘s Great American Panel. Veering from scheduled discussion topics, Powers directly addressed Peterson about his sermons, citing what she called “misogynist” statements.

“I didn’t know I was going to be sitting here” with Peterson, Powers said. She then confronted him, saying, “You said women are creating a shameless society, and that they are destroying the family, and they shouldn’t be put in powerful businesses. Address that.”

“Most Americans know that liberal women are destroying the family, they hate men, they hate society,” Peterson responded. Powers replied, “That is absolutely false,” turning to Hannity, asking, “Sean, do I hate men, do I hate you?”

“I hope not,” he answered.

Powers went on: “You are a pastor distorting God’s word for misogyny. What do you mean — when you say women —when you say you leave a woman alone in charge a family and she destroys the family?”

“We allowed the national organization of women who hate men to come in years ago,” Peterson said, to which Powers protested. Peterson continued, “We left them alone, look what condition we are in today; out of wedlock birth, abortion.”

“I have to step in,” Hannity interjected, noting this was not a topic he was anticipating on the show. “You are hijacking the show.” Powers said, “I didn’t know I was going to be on with him.”

Questioning Powers’ outrage, Peterson said, “If you believe what you believe, why are you upset at me? I’m not upset at you.”

“Because you’re a pastor using God’s word to teach misogyny to people,” Powers replied.

We’ve been learning a lot the last few years about rampant misogyny, racism, and homophobia. The level of discourse in this country is not improved by the many people that have no problem slamming people simply for biological traits over which they have no control.  They are all closely linked and appalling.

This is the latest JC Penney ad under attack. It shows a married lesbian couple with their daughter.

The One Million Moms are back with a new crusade — slamming JCPenney for including a lesbian couple in their Mother’s Day campaign.

Perhaps those one million moms need to get a life?

The conservative group issued a statement to get their members to take action against JCPenney, saying that the retailer is “taking sides” in the “cultural war” on gay rights:

“On pages ten and eleven, under the title “Freedom of Expression,” you’ll find ‘Wendi and her partner Maggie and daughters.’ In the picture both women are wearing wedding bands.”

It continues to be time to put our money, mouths, and beliefs into action.

24 Comments on “Misogyny is Everywhere”

1. I would put my scissors into action with those jeans!

2. ecocatwoman says:

Kind of on topic – interview with William Donohue of the Catholic League: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/05/08/catholic-bishops-protest This old white guy is a real piece of work. Now, I think I have some jeans to wash – NOT.

Thanks, Kat for bringing all this together.

Slave owners used to say that outlawing slavery was an infringement on their religious beliefs too!

• ecocatwoman says:

After all there certainly are slaves in the bible – Egypt, Abraham. Then there’s polygamy. Maybe that’s the next religious disenfranchisement issue we’ll be hearing about. In fact, maybe that’s the real reason Mittens is so desperate to become prez.

3. RalphB says:

More from Rev Jessie Lee Peterson on Hannity. This guy needs to be in a padded cell!

Fox News Guest: Allowing Women To Vote ‘One Of The Greatest Mistakes That America Made’

It’s way past time for pushback against these detestable morons. Democrats should be firing away every day!

This Rev obviously has a problem with women. Why is he being aloud to spread this hate on TV? If he were making comments about any other group other than the GLBT community my guess is they would hand him his hat and say get out!

4. RalphB says:

This was apparently close to Orlando but the American Front group has been growing lately especially in Oregon.

White Supremacist Leader, Crew Nabbed In Fla. Terror Probe

They’re a really motley looking bunch as you might imagine.

5. RalphB says:

Well what do you know. The would-be bomber in the al-Qaeda underwear bombing case was actually a double agent working for the CIA.

6. Woman Voter says:

I read today that Hillary R. Clinton is not going to run in 2016 and that she hopes she sees a woman elected as President in her life time. 😥 Sounds like many a lament of mine and others after the Democrats rigged the primary in 2008. 😦

“women who hate men …. We left them alone, look what condition we are in today; out of wedlock birth, abortion.”

Yeah, getting pregnant all alone. Riiiiiight.

And what is it with these idiots always worrying about men being hated? They must interpret any relationship that’s not female-subordinant as hatred.

• northwestrain says:

These loud mouth misogynists apparently can only deal with submissive women. My non Mormon female ancestors were not submissives any women who was — died.

Many of my ancestors were military wives — and they had to be tough — others were wives of seamen — also tough survivors.

Men like the misogynist minister in the video — have an idealized notion of what the past was like. Men coming home and treated like kings. Hummm I’m forgetting about the Caribbean men — and how many of the men have several partners (one wife and whatever the second child bearing female is called???)

Perhaps Jesse Lee Petersen was born in the Caribbean?

Racism and misogyny two sides of the same coin. Jessee Lee Peterson by call all women whores — he’s including all women of color. He has a battam rooster complex.

Thanks for covering this subject — doesn’t it seem like the misogyny is worse than it was 30 or 40 years ago? Oh sure the text book all used HE and HIM — never recognizing that women even existed.

• Allie says:

Exactly – just whose fault is it these women don’t have reliable, supportive and loving partners? Couldn’t be the men, noooooo…..no such thing as deadbeat dads.

This is the god(esses) truth – but one of the reasons I never married is I couldn’t see me washing someone else’s clothes and cleaning up after them. I’ve actuallly never regretted it and I love my single life to do what I want, when I want.