The State of Our Union

To put it simply – CRAZY!

I’m beginning to think that there must be something in the drinking water. The Right Wingnuttery has risen to unforeseen heights in the past few weeks. Tracing its beginning isn’t an easy task. I would imagine that, based on our differing ages and our personal experiences that it will be difficult to reach a consensus on exactly what caused the extreme right turn our politics have taken. Let me put forth some of my personal suggestions, not in any particular order:

• The election of the B movie actor, Ronald Reagan
  • Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority
  • Repeal of the Fairness Doctrine
  • The consolidation of the media
  • The rise of the Mega-Churches
  • Rush Limbaugh and his imitators getting their own bully pulpit on the radio
  • Gingrich’s Contract ON America
  • The stealing of the presidency by George & Jeb Bush & the Supreme Court
  • 9/11
  • The plucking of Sarah Palin from the frontier in Alaska
  • The Fox News Channel
  • The birth of the Tea Party

Some of these may qualify only as fuel for the fire as opposed to being actual triggering events.  Feel free to add to the list.  I’m sure that I’ve forgotten something critical to explaining the mass hysteria that surrounds us.

There is hardly a day that goes by that I don’t spend some time trying to understand the mean-spirited, venomous attacks on nearly everything I support.  Those thoughts are often interrupted by being blind-sided by something else coming under attack.  Let me give you just one recent example that left me speechless and more confused than ever.

One of my employees and I were having a discussion about some mail returned by the post office. She began by complaining about the post office, saying that the first thing she would do would be to get rid of the postal union.

Okay, to some that might not be a moment of confusion.  Her position, however, astounded me. I knew already that she is firmly planted in the Right Wingnuttery camp, but her vehement opposition to the postal union surprised me.  Her husband had worked for the phone company which, because of the CWA, provides its employees with good paying jobs, excellent health care coverage and generous retirement benefits.  I knew this because I had once worked for the same phone company as her husband.  He was able to take early retirement with a 6 figure bonus package.  His job permitted them to live more than comfortably for most of their lives.

None of the benefits this family enjoyed would have been possible without the existence of the CWA.  How could my employee not support unions?  Where was the logic and reason?  My conclusion:  she and the rest of the Wingnuttery bunch do not operate on either logic or reason. Apparently, she and the others who vote for Right Wing candidates have swallowed whole the propaganda fed to them by Fox, Rush, the Republican leadership and their preachers.  That’s the only conclusion I’ve been able to come up with.  If you have a clue, please share.

I can only shake my head and live with fear for the future of America and the rest of the world.  While these Right Wingers look forward to The Apocalypse foretold in their sacred book, I fear the inevitable apocalypse their actions and choices are driving us toward.  I’m grateful I’m on the other side of 60 and hope that younger, stronger, reasonable people can hold off this cataclysm for another 10 or 20 years.

I’ll leave you with two things.  The first is a political awareness test given by The Pew Research Center recently.  I urge you to take the quiz and then look at the results, which are shocking.  I don’t know if the majority of the respondents aren’t interested in politics, are terribly misinformed or a combination of both.

Pew Research News IQ Quiz

And then some of the pictures in a recent email from the employee I referenced above.

36 Comments on “The State of Our Union”

1. I think it can be summed up in one word “FEAR”. Fear of muslims. Fear of blacks/arabs/mexicans. Fear of gays. Fear of women who no longer blindly submit.

Is it any wonder that the GOP has becomve overwhelmingly white and male? That the rights “news” sources overwhelmingly preach fear, and it’s bastard brother “hate”? That religious beliefs increasingly trump science, evidence, and common sense?

• ecocatwoman says:

There is no doubt that Fear plays an enormous role. And GW certainly played that up after 9/11, but I think a good part of America was already on board the Fear Train at that point. And xenophobia plays a big role. Divide & conquer is a well worn tactic of the powerful to hold on to their power.

Thanks.

• RalphB says:

Agreed but I think you have to look no further than the rise of the so-called Counter Culture in the 1960s for the beginning of the big fear. What I suspect they fear most is change from the norm as the right wing thinks they’ve always known it. That’s why issues like hormonal contraception are never really settled, no matter what the conventional wisdom.

• ecocatwoman says:

I agree. The 60s, when the younger generation and Women found their voices & talked back to Daddy. Daddy has been pissed ever since. However, I was thinking of those who visit here who may have been born in the late 60s and afterwards. Their perspective might differ from the opinion(s) us old geezers.

That’s a very good point, Ralph.

• Beata says:

Excellent post, ecocatwoman.

I agree that FEAR plays a major role. I think it goes back at least to the Cold War ( probably much earlier – the “other” is always lurking in some form, ready to destroy the status quo ). I am reminded of my grandmother who became obsessively afraid of Communists during the 1950’s and early 60’s. She was upper-middle class and thought it was only a matter of time before the Commies came to take away her big house, Gorham silver, and Royal Doulton china. She was prepared for them though. She always slept with a loaded shotgun under her bed.

• ecocatwoman says:

Thx, Beata.

Good old Joe McCarthy. Kind of ironic, don’t you think, that the closest we have to Edward R. Murrow now is Jon Stewart. Quite a contrast between those two.

A shotgun? Hope she never had to use it. I don’t think I would have wanted to be the one who ever had to wake her up.

2. ANonOMouse says:

Also, there’s an air of “superiority” that goes with rightwingnuttery, I think this is why Obama (uh-oh, I’m gonna play the race card here) drives them totally mad! Hillary would have made them crazy too (uh-oh, I’m gonna play the sexism card here) because she is, by Rush Limbaugh’s decades long description of her , “a feminazi” an uppity woman, with “thick ankles” who wears pantsuits, which is code for “lesbian”. If you listen very closely to their rhethoric it’s still all about “guns, god and gays and now, THE OTHER” this year they’ve doubled down on the “god” thing and “the other” thing. The god thing is predictable right wing religious dogma associated with reproduction and choice, and “the other” thing is about painting Obama as a secret muslim, godless black Marxist/Socialist/Facist terrorist sympathizer. There are some different messengers this year, but it’s not a new message.

• ecocatwoman says:

As Fitzgerald told us, “the rich are different.” Besides the obvious difference ($$$$$$$$), the rich also firmly believe they are better than the rest of us. And, the bible-thumpers have their god on their side. After all, they are convinced that “he” speaks to them.

• ANonOMouse says:

I think that another element that isn’t appreciated by folks who don’t live in the Southern U.S. is the influence of the Southern Baptist Convention on the body politic. Jerry Falwell, founder of the Moral Majority was a SBC minister. Pat Robertson is Southern Baptist and was a former SBC minister. Rick Warren is an Evangelical SBC minister. The membership of the TP is overwhelmingly evangelical Southern Baptist. Current members of the SBC whose names are familiar Tom Coburn, Sharron Angle, Lindsey Graham, Mike Huckabee, Tim LaHaye author of the “Left Behind” series.

The SBC has an ugly history, it opposed integregation, Supported Slavery, many of it’s members were affilitated with the KKK. It still preaches that women should be submissive to men. It is openly Anti-gay and behind many anti-gay groups including NOM (it’s still acceptable to be openly anti-gay, not so much anti-minority), It works behind the scenes to push it’s religious theology through various organizations and institutions. It’s past president, Richard Land, just apologized last week for plagariziing and making questionable comments concerning the Trayvon Martin case. The SBC has apologized publicly for it’s history of supporting slavery and Jim Crowe, but yet it continues scapegoating and marginalizing because that’s how it rolls

They are a huge piece of this puzzle.

3. northwestrain says:

Interesting placement of that gun in last photo. Gun to make up for tiny penis?

4. RalphB says:

Fking lunatic Bill Donohue is losing it. They’re gonna boycott Jon Stewart because he said “vagina manger”. 🙂

• ecocatwoman says:

Their loss. The Daily Show is the BEST show on TV. I wonder what Colbert’s team will come up with over this. After all, Colbert, is a “good” Catholic. BTW, I didn’t know that the manger was trademarked or copyrighted property of the Catholic Church. Shouldn’t all of the other Christian denominations be upset as well?

5. Beata says:

OT: Shelli Yoder is a Democratic candidate for Congress in Indiana’s 9th District. The Democrats who run for the 9th District are usually Blue Dogs, but Yoder proudly calls herself a liberal. She works at Indiana University’s School of Business and holds advanced degrees from IU and Vanderbilt. The Indiana 9th District seat is currently held by Todd Young ( IN-Tea Party ).

Yoder recently issued a statement supporting federal funding for women who are victims of violence:

6. HT says:

Tried the quiz and got all the questions right – only 8% did that, which is mystifying. Worse, 34% got 6 or less questions correct.

That was really strange.

• ecocatwoman says:

Yep. I figured everyone on here would get all of the questions correct. I was flabbergasted by the overall results of those polled by Pew. I think it explains a lot about who gets elected & the power of Fox & Right Wing talk radio. Of course, based on the results, I’m assuming many of the participants get their so-called news from the Fox/Rush gang.

7. The Rock says:

Festival of riches here at skydancing. ANOTHER great post by a ANOTHER frontpager.

ecocatwoman, to answer your question, money. The uber rich have no concern for anyone but themselves, and the way a kabal of them want to run the world is through politics. While the country is mired with images of J Lo and Trayvon Martin 24/7, laws are being passed that drive money into a few people’s pockets, rights are being taken away minority groups, and there is an insane upwards transfer of wealth that is braking this country in half. The policy direction that a government must follow for his to happen can be more easily comandeered from the conservative ideology. For all of the items on your list, just follow the money. But that was always going to be the case. The most hideous and insidious thing that has been happening right under our noses is that te DNC was being corrupted at the same time. Sadly, we must assume some of the blame (well not us HERE). To accomplish something like this requires at least tacit cooperation from those being affected. When thousands cheer for someone who has demonstrated that they are untrustworthy (insert Willard, Bush, Obama, Ryan, Walker, McConnell, Boehner, Pelosi, McCaskill, etc. here), and elevate them to the decision making level, then we get what we asked for. Its gonna get real bad for a whole lot of people real soon.

Hillary 2012

• ecocatwoman says:

Thanks. I am simply honored to have been asked to join this totally awesome group of front pagers.

You couldn’t be more correct. It’s always about their money. Even the money they lend us for doing the work for them, still goes back to them. It’s been that way for a very long time. The political system is more pervasively corrupt than ever before in the history of our country, primarily due to recent SCOTUS rulings saying money = speech & corporations are people. I’ve always been a fan of time travel movies, books & TV shows. I prefer it as fiction, however. It feels like we are actually moving backward in time and the speed of that travel is increasing. The question is, can We The People find the damn brake? I’m afraid too many people are asleep at the wheel.

8. propertius says:

Personally, I think legislators should be tested before they’re allowed to vote on legislation. After all, they’re collecting a check from the public as well.

I think they should be given classes before they are allowed to sit on committees. I’ve watched some of them sit on economics-related committees in hearings and they know nothing. They read from staff prepared index cards and ask stupid questions. That’s the thing that really drives me nuts. Stuff must come out of those committees that I don’t know about that’s appalling given the stuff that comes out of the committees related to stuff I really know about. Some of them ask worse questions than my undergrads do … it horrifies me.

• ecocatwoman says:

I’m right there with you. I yelled the same thing at the radio when Rick Scott proudly announced his signing of the bill here in Florida.

9. Fear tactics work easily, and the people are more willing to give up freedom in exchange for “security.” And if people are too busy being terrified of Muslims, they won’t spend any time worrying about how their medical benefits will be axed by Paul Ryan and the rest of the “I wish we were Rockefeller” crowd.