Broken Windows And The Stealing Of Hearts

Yesterday I read an interesting essay by William Black over at New Economic Perspectives.  In the essay, Black, who headed the forensic audit team during the S&L crisis, pulls forward the Broken Window Theory, a criminological model based on a simple and some have said simplistic idea.  The theory was introduced by James Q. Wilson and received a fair amount of popularity during the 1990s, particularly in conservative circles.

Readers might remember Rudy Giuliani’s ‘war against graffiti,’ his zero-tolerance campaign in NYC.  That effort, the elimination of the squeegee men and the crack down on street prostitution among other things were based on the broken window philosophy, which uses an abandoned building metaphor.

Imagine a building in any neighborhood [although Wilson focused exclusively on what he termed ‘blue-collar crime.’]  The first broken window of our abandoned building if left unrepaired sends a clear message to antisocial types:  no one cares about this building.  So, it’s open season on all the other windows, on anything of value that’s been left behind.  If the owner doesn’t care about the integrity of the building then the street tough is encouraged to vandalize and take whatever’s not nailed down.

The attitude feeds on itself or so the theory goes. Honest citizens are less likely to confront the petty thief, which only encourages others to act out in destructive, antisocial ways.  Honest citizens begin to feel overwhelmed and outnumbered and stop safeguarding their own neighborhoods.   What’s the point? they say.    No one cares.  Communities begin to self-destruct.

Now whether you buy into this crime theory or not, I think the metaphor holds when you consider what we’ve been witnessing in the degradation of our financial markets, our legal system, even the refusal to admit that ‘there’s trouble in River City.’

As Professor Black points out, if we were to take Wilson’s theory and apply it to the explosion of ‘white collar crime’ within our financial system, it would be a major step in restoring the integrity of our system and bolstering peer pressure against misconduct.   As it stands now, Wall Street movers and shakers and their DC handmaidens have implemented business-as-usual policies that reward the thief and punish the whistleblower.  As Black points out in the essay:

We have adopted executive and professional compensation systems that are exceptionally criminogenic. We have excused and ignored the endemic “earnings management” that is the inherent result of these compensation policies and the inherent degradation of professionalism that results from allowing CEOs to create a Gresham’s dynamic among appraisers, auditors, credit rating agencies, and stock analysts. The intellectual father of modern executive compensation, Michael Jensen, now warns about his Frankenstein creation. He argues that one of our problems is dishonesty about the results. Surveys indicate that the great bulk of CFOs claim that it is essential to manipulate earnings. Jensen explains that the manipulation inherently reduces shareholder value and insists that it be called “lying.” I have seen Mary Jo White, the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, who now defends senior managers, lecture that there is “good” “earnings management.”

My husband had some unsettling experience in this area.  Early in his career, he worked as a CPA [the two companies will remain nameless].  But in each case, he was ‘asked’ to clean up the numbers, make them look better than they were.  He refused and found himself on the street, looking for employment elsewhere.  I remember him saying at the time, ‘Look, I’m a numbers guy.  I’ve never been good at fiction writing.’  This was back in the late 70s early 80s, so this attitude has been a long time in the making.  Now, we’re seeing accounting fraud that is literally off the charts.  Is it any wonder the country’s financial system is on life support?

We can see the destructive results of this careless, corrupt posturing all around us.  Professor Black continued:

Fiduciary duties are critical means of preventing broken windows from occurring and making it likely that any broken windows in corporate governance will soon be remedied, yet we have steadily weakened fiduciary duties. For example, Delaware now allows the elimination of the fiduciary duty of care as long as the shareholders approve. Court decisions have increasingly weakened the fiduciary duties of loyalty and care. The Chamber of Commerce’s most recent priorities have been to weaken Sarbanes-Oxley and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. We have made it exceptionally difficult for shareholders who are victims of securities fraud to bring civil suits against the officers and entities that led or aided and abetted the securities fraud. The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (PSLRA) has achieved its true intended purpose – making it exceptionally difficult for shareholders who are the victims of securities fraud to bring even the most meritorious securities fraud action.

Reading this, I immediately sensed we could apply the metaphor just as easily to our legal predicament.  Dak wrote to this yesterday—about the disheartening disrepair of our justice system, which was badly wounded during the Bush/Cheney years with the help of eager lawyers like John Yoo, stretching, reinterpreting, rewriting the parameters on the subjects of torture, indefinite detention, rendition, etc.

Not to be outdone, Eric Holder stood before Northwestern University’s Law School the other day and with the same twisted logic, explained away due process, otherwise known as ‘how to justify assassination.’  In this case, American citizens, those the President deems are a threat to the Nation, can be killed on native ground or foreign soil. Jonathon Turley, law professor at George Washington University and frequent legal commentator in the media, headed a recent blog post as follows:  Holder Promises to Kill Citizens with Care.

Sorry, this does not make me feel better.  What it does make me think is lawlessness simply breeds more lawlessness.  The Broken Window theory writ large.  As Turley explained:

The choice of a law school was a curious place for discussion of authoritarian powers. Obama has replaced the constitutional protections afforded to citizens with a “trust me” pledge that Holder repeated yesterday at Northwestern. The good news is that Holder promised not to hunt citizens for sport.

Holder proclaimed that “The president may use force abroad against a senior operational leader of a foreign terrorist organization with which the United States is at war — even if that individual happens to be a U.S. citizen.” The use of the word “abroad” is interesting since senior Administration officials have asserted that the President may kill an American anywhere and anytime, including the United States. Holder’s speech does not materially limit that claimed authority. He merely assures citizens that Obama will only kill those of us he finds abroad and a significant threat. Notably, Holder added “Our legal authority is not limited to the battlefields in Afghanistan.”

Turley went on to comment that Holder was vague, to say the least, when it came to the use of these ‘new’ governmental/executive powers, claiming that the powers-that-be will only kill citizens when:

“the consent of the nation involved or after a determination that the nation is unable or unwilling to deal effectively with a threat to the United States.”

And as far as ‘due process?”  Holder declared that:

“a careful and thorough executive branch review of the facts in a case amounts to ‘due process.’”

Chilling!  As Turley grimly noted in an earlier post, this is no longer the land of the free.

Seemingly unrelated was this report from the New York Times: the heart of Dublin’s 12th-century patron saint was stolen earlier this week from Christ’s Church Cathedral.  The heart of Laurence O’Toole had been housed in a heart-shaped box, safely secured [or so church authorities believed] within an iron cage.  The relic’s disappearance was preceded by a rash of reliquary robberies from churches, monasteries and convents around Ireland.  According to the article:

The small cage hosting the heart-shaped box containing the relic was tucked away in an innocuous alcove at the side of a small altar. Visitors to the cathedral on Monday stared at the twisted bars and the empty space behind. The bars themselves were sundered evenly.

According to Dermot Dunne, dean of Christ Church, the box had lain undisturbed for centuries.  He had no idea why someone would take it.

Whether it’s the heart of a saint or the heart of a Nation, the theft is a grievous insult. The crime betrays the public trust and our basic sense of decency.  But the thieves of O’Tooles’s heart performed a curious act before exiting.

The Irish culprits lit candles at two of the Cathedral’s altars.  Which means the perpetrators possessed, at the very least, an ironic sense of tradition.

The same cannot be said of our homegrown hooligans. Crass greed and the lust for unlimited power have their own dark tradition.  As Americans, we do not expect vice to be confused with virtue.  In the past, we could not imagine a blatant disrespect for the Rule of Law–crimes ignored, excused, then openly declared necessary for whatever raison du moment.

Not here, we told ourselves repeatedly.  Not in the United States.

Perhaps, we should light candles of our own.  A small devotion for the lost and dying.

21 Comments on “Broken Windows And The Stealing Of Hearts”

1. northwestrain says:

If a person goes to a bank and pulls a gun and demands all the cash. We expect that the bank robber would be tracked down and put in jail. But as wrong as this crime is — and we all would be shocked if the police caught the guy and then handed him a suitcase full of money and let him back out on the street.

Yet the biggest bank heists in history happened — the criminals are known and no one has spent any time in jail. In fact many of the crooks got huge bonuses from their banks and financial institutions.

One crook is behind bars — The knight of Antigua — Stanford. What about the other crooks on Wall street? Goldman Sucks comes to mind as den of crooks — on an International scale never seen before.

Another insightful essay!!

I like the Character — Bones — on the TV show by the same name. Bones is a very honest character and the writers often explore the honesty theme. I tend to be a lot like Bone — bluntly honest. Yet the leaders and winner in public and private offices seem to be flat out liars. Liars are rewarded in our culture it seems.

• peggysue22 says:

Right on the money, northwestrain. We’re not only ignoring the wrong things, we’re rewarding the bandits. The corruption and collusion has seeped into everything. And yet, the band plays on and we kid ourselves with tales of how exceptional we are. It’s enough to drive you crazy when you read some of these reports.

Or you just feel like weeping.

On the justice side, it’s actually scary. In the second link I provided for Turley’s blog, he cites 10 basic reasons why we can no longer say we’re the land of the free. It’s pretty shocking to see those rights listed, the ones we’ve lost.

Feels like a runaway train.

Btw, my hubby lo-o-oves Bones. I catch it occasionally but he’s a diehard fan.

Excellent post, Peggy Sue. I’d go more with the “give them and inch, and they’ll take a mile” theory. I’m not convinced that the broken window theory would hold true in basically nice neighborhoods. Here’s a book that challenges the theory. It looks interesting.

Interesting comment on the book at Amazon.

This book touched a very personal chord for me. I’ve lived in New York for almost 20 years, and the mayor keeps telling us that he has given us a safer city. I also keep hearing people say that Giuliani has made the city so much safer. However, I’ve started to feel more frightened of the cops than I ever did of random muggers, even though I’m a 40-something middle class white woman. It didn’t make sense until I read Harcourt’s dissection of the mayor’s claims and the ramifications of NYC’s policing policies.

Reading this book made me feel vindicated. It also gave me fresh evidence of how politicians and public officials abuse their leadership. Finally, the historical background provides insight into the subtleties and intellectual underpinnings of public policy.

As for Giuliani’s actions, I find them despicable. He trucked homeless people to NJ. If he really wanted to improve conditions, he would have provided low cost housing, perhaps by fixing up abandoned buildings and turning them into rooming houses.

• peggysue22 says:

Oh, there’s a lot of criticism of the theory. A good portion of it was Wilson’s focus on what he politely called ‘blue collar crime.’ Which basically meant focusing on minorities. In fact, Black makes the point that Wilson completely contradicts himself when he says he would tolerate some hinky business with a mayor, as long as he could govern well [wink,wink]. In other words, poor people’s crimes are bad, rich folks’ crime is tolerable.

No wonder critics howled.

Where the theory makes sense to me, particularly in white collar crime, is that when you set up an atmosphere of cutting corners, fudging numbers, and then punish whistleblowers but reward wrongdoers, you end up with a corrupt-friendly system. Same thing with the abuses of the Bush/Cheney regime, They should have been investigated, prosecuted and the abuses rolled back. No President should have the power to unilaterally condemn a citizen to death–judge, jury and executioner rolled into one. That’s not to say I think President Obama is going to turn into Attila the Hun. But once that executive power is on the books, it’s obviously very tempting to retain it.

I just thought the Black essay was an interesting analysis and comparison..

It is interesting. I didn’t mean to be critical–just putting some ideas out there.

• peggysue22 says:

I know you weren’t, BB. In fact, it adds to the discussion. William Black seems to me like a pretty straight arrow. That’s why I’m drawn to his essays.

We have more than our fair share of crooked arrows in the quiver :0).

• Minkoff Minx says:

You know, what was it with all these “theories” that came out in the 90’s which were veiled in racism. The bell curve, this out the window one…I know there were others, but can’t remember right now. Oh yeah, the whole ebonics thing, didn’t that come out around the same time?

4. OT – someone posted a link to Invisible Children earlier this week. Have you seen this on Alternet: http://www.alternet.org/visions/154477/invisible_children_%22kony_2012%22_leader_suggests_it%27s_about_jesus%2C_and_evangelizing_/?page=1 ? And NPR also did a story on it this afternoon: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/08/148239201/joseph-kony-is-now-a-star-but-will-he-be-caught

And apparently, according to the NPR story I heard, Kony has been out of the Congo for about 6 years.

The Christian Right is everywhere. Are there witch burnings in the near future?

• peggysue22 says:

That’s an absolutely amazing video, Connie. I caught it over at Taylor Marsh last night. And I remember when the right-wing was all over Obama’s order to send military advisors–he was again showing his anti-Christian bias, they claimed.

What a joke! Kony is a war criminal, number 1 on the list.

5. Here’s the link to the story I heard earlier today: http://www.theworld.org/2012/03/kony-2012-youtube-uganda/

And, oops – it’s Uganda, not the Congo.

6. ralphb says:

FAST MONEY AND FRAUD

The story of Empire Savings and Loan, the first one which went down. I knew one of the principals in this story and he’s an interesting critter, to say the least. I’m glad I turned down the invitation to take part in their land flips 🙂

7. joanelle says:

My golly, gosh – I just saw this brief video of Hillary

And was reminded of a conversation I had with my hair stylist not too long ago – when I mentioned that I’ve always worn my hair short and perhaps I should grow it a bit longer. Her response was “I’ll never know what motivates older women to grow their hair – it only makes them look a lot older than they are.”

• peggysue22 says:

Oh, well that’s good news, joanelle. I had long hair [beneath the shoulders] when I moved south. A year later after months of heat and humidity, I had it shorn. Couldn’t stand the damp tresses on my neck, limp tendrils against my cheek.

Never looked back.

Peg, the bald [but youthful looking] one :0)

I think that depends on the individual’s face and hair. Sometimes I think that short hair is a fashion straightjacket for older women. There are certainly some gorgeous long-haired, silver-haired, older women.

8. More OT, but for you peggysue: http://www.treehugger.com/energy-policy/senate-rejects-keystone-xl-56-42.html

Disappointed in Webb & McCaskill. The other Dems who voted with the Repugnants, not surprising.

• peggysue22 says:

Thanks for that update, Connie. The Lakotas have been blocking the TransCanada trucks–with their bodies. The truckers claim they have a right [from a foreign country no less] to run their trucks across Indian lands.

A number of tribesmen have been arrested. This whole project stinks and really have people from all different directions and motivations up in arms. We have Native Americans, environmentalists, Tea Party and Occupy people on the same side–stop the damn pipeline. This time I’m ‘not’ with Bill Clinton. He can embrace it. No one else is!