Open Thread: Karen Santorum’s Book Has Become Collector’s Item

Recently, I wrote a post about Rick and Karen Santorum’s responses to their miscarriage. After this loss, Karen wrote a book called Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum. At the time, I looked up the book and it was selling cheaply on Amazon.

Some of you may know that I’ve become a bookseller, at least temporarily. Well, I should have bought a bunch of copies of Karen’s book when I had the chance. The book was published in 1998, and until recently used copies were selling for less than a dollar. Today, the cheapest price I could find was close to $100.00 on some foreign websites. New copies of the book begin at $2,5 on Amazon and nearly $900 on E-bay. This copy at Half.com was selling for $.75 plus postage just recently and is now listed at $891.00.

I don’t know who is buying the book–maybe slumming pro-choice readers or pious anti-choicers–maybe both. Since I began selling my book collection, I’ve sold a few old and scarce books for inflated prices, but never this inflated. I’m going to have to get better at foreseeing these kinds of trends!

14 Comments on “Open Thread: Karen Santorum’s Book Has Become Collector’s Item”

Well, *I* thought it was interesting…..

2. ralphb says:

Sorry BB but I wouldn’t pay postage to get the book for free. 🙂

Dylan Ratigan’s new site is interesting to me. He’s got some good information and some positive solutions to offer.

I’ve been researching their religious conversion, and I was thinking about buying it–but not for that price.

3. Minkoff Minx says:

I just started reviewing my reader feeds and it looks like the latest commentary from the right has to do with Obama’s “liverlips”

Popular Conservative Blog Slams President Obama’s ‘Liverish Lips’ On Newsweek Cover | Mediaite

Rather than focus on Andrew Sullivan‘s titular question “Why are Obama’s critics so dumb,” Reynolds picks on the cover photo, and the President’s “liverish lips.”

• quixote says:

😯

I can’t stand the man, but … lips? Seriously?

• northwestrain says:

That is so dumb.

So “white” of the idiots to make comments like that.

But then that’s a comment I’ve heard way too often in the Caribbean — light black is prized over dark black and remarks are made about physical features as well. My friend’s parent’s objected to her marrying someone who was darker than she. So she waited until they died before she married the father of her two children. She told me that the older folks were very prejudiced and she was hoping that would change with the next generations.

• ralphb says:

“Why are Obama’s critics so dumb,” In this case, that is the operative question.

4. northwestrain says:

I wonder if the buyers realize that the jacked up price won’t go to the Santorums???

Yeck.

I can’t believe anyone would pay that price. I’ll check again in a month and see if it has gone down.

Awhile back I found a ratty old paperback among my books and before throwing it in the recycle pile I checked to see if it was worth anything. It turned out it was highly in demand, and some people were charging $80-$90 for it. I ended up selling it for $45! Can you believe that? It was a paperback self-help book from the 1930s, but it was very scarce and for some reason a lot of people were looking for it.

• Pilgrim says:

Boomer, do you sell your books on Amazon?