Well he certainly tops most presidents in terms of positive self-regard. I found this story on the right wing blog News Busters (via Memeorandum), and at first I wondered if it was legit. Did Obama really say that?

Yes, yes he did. CBS edited it out of their 60 Minutes interview, but the whole interview is posted on their website “60 Minutes Overtime” along with a transcript.

STEVE KROFT (60 Minutes): Tell me, what do you consider your major accomplishments? If this is your last speech. What have you accomplished?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, we’re not done yet. I’ve got five more years of stuff to do. But not only saving this country from a great depression. Not only saving the auto industry. But putting in place a system in which we’re gonna start lowering health care costs and you’re never gonna go bankrupt because you get sick or somebody in your family gets sick. Making sure that we have reformed the financial system, so we never again have taxpayer-funded bailouts, and the system is more stable and secure. Making sure that we’ve got millions of kids out here who are able to go to college because we’ve expanded student loans and made college more affordable. Ending Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Decimating al Qaeda, including Bin Laden being taken off the field. Restoring America’s respect around the world.

The issue here is not gonna be a list of accomplishments. As you said yourself, Steve, you know, I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president — with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln — just in terms of what we’ve gotten done in modern history. But, you know, but when it comes to the economy, we’ve got a lot more work to do. And we’re gonna keep on at it.

Here’s my list of accomplishments:

Defending CIA torturers
Defending Bush and Cheney
Continuing the Patriot Act
Watering down the financial reform bill
Preventing prosecution of banksters
Extending the Bush tax cuts
Preventing single payer health care and public option
Assassinating American citizens on foreign soil
Ensuring the ability to indefinitely detail American citizens on U.S. soil
Ramping up Afghanistan war

I’m sure there’s lot’s more. Can you think of any more accomplishments?

Advertisements

24 Comments on “Obama believes he accomplished more in his first two years than any president except Lincoln, LBJ, and FDR”

1. Pilgrim says:

overweening pride

2. HT says:

Good grief talk about self deception – true narcissim at it’s most rampant. .

3. Woman Voter says:

I am speechless!

4. quixote says:

Gag. Bleurrgh. Choke. Chokechokechoke. Gag. Bleaaaaaah.

(We need a “Not Safe For Sanity” tag so that those of us with delicate constitutions aren’t too damaged.)

5. ralphb says:

Bwahahahahahahaha 😉

6. Minkoff Minx says:

Oh geez, ya know BB, after reading what he said, I’m starting to feel sick to my stomach…just like you and Dak!

7. Outis says:

I’m getting that bizzaro feeling I had during the primaries, the kind where I would go around almost hitting my head against a wall because I just didn’t get all the fawning. WTF was everyone talking about? Was I missing something??? Isn’t it just plain as day that this man is not the most brilliant human ever to walk the face of the earth? What freaking planet am I on?

But now the 20%ers are out in full strength again. And the phrase, “Best president in my lifetime” is making me physically sick. Yah, shred the Constitution, we’ll cheer! Siding with BP, go get em Barack! The list is freaking endless…

Um…doesn’t he know that the Aristotelian definition of a tragedy is rooted in HUBRIS? Oy!

8. fiscalliberal says:

Procecution of Financial Fraud is the complete default of his administration. Excellent article by Bill Black on Naked Capitalism

Bill Black: Dante’s Divine Comedy – Banksters Edition – 12/16/2011 – Yves Smith

He lists several area’s not prosected

Black maintains it is the donor list of financials that is the reason why they are not prosecuted

9. peggysue22 says:

Well, it appears 60 minutes covered this moment of Obama delusion, probably realizing how utterly stupid the man sounded. How humble of him to exclude ‘possibly’ Lincoln, FDR and LBJ. His Kansa speech, however, reveals that he believes himself the equal to Teddy Roosevelt. Hahaha.

Dream on, while we continue with the nightmare that is this Administration.

10. Delphyne says:

What?! He is delusional – did Croft have a look of astonishment on his face? Is that why it was edited out of the interview?

Your list is far more truthful and accurate, BB.

11. mjames says:

The man is psychotic. Completely separated from reality. Is this what happens when both your parents abandon you? Constantly reassuring yourself that not only did you not deserve abandonment, you are really the greatest human being ever? No wonder he is so easily manipulated. Just play to his tenuous hold on self-worth. To me this confirms he is a CIA pawn, the CIA being in cahoots with Wall Street of course.

12. mjames says:

I also think he’s only a step, maybe half a step, from a massive breakdown, the trigger being when even the littlest bit of criticism makes it through his almost impenetrable defenses. I can see him wandering the streets at that point, raving about how great he is.

13. Of course he’s better than LBJ and FDR. Obama is Lebron, bay-bee.

14. northwestrain says:

His body language is very telling. Too many photos of him with his nose in the air.