Friday Night Festivities: Celebrating “The Little Blog That Could”

Can you believe it has been almost a year since Dakinikat turned her blog from a file cabinet into “The Little Blog that Could” and invited all of us to join her? We’ve had some ups and downs, but generally speaking we’ve done pretty well for a small startup blog. We’re so grateful for all the people who stop by here to read and comment on our posts. We really put our heart and soul into keeping this place going, because we love to write and talk about politics!

It’s not quite our first anniversary yet–that will come towards the end of next month. But today we do have something to celebrate. Sky Dancing’s Technorati authority has been moving up steadily for the past several weeks, and today we made it into the Top 100 U.S. Politics blogs! I took some screenshots, because we could fall off the list tomorrow. But right now, we are ranked #93.

We are also on the Top Ten Movers list, meaning that we’ve gone up pretty quickly lately.

Please forgive us for a little immodesty, but we’ve worked really hard to keep new content up every day a few times a day. And besides, we owe any success we have had to you! So please celebrate with us. I hope this isn’t too corny…

52 Comments on “Friday Night Festivities: Celebrating “The Little Blog That Could””

This is so exciting!

What I really like is that we have great discussion here on issues that matter and it doesn’t turn into a personal slug fest! It’s such a relief to never have to moderate for nastiness continually!

I’ve been giving a lot of thought recently about the decision to try to relocate to a different site than wordpress to give us more flexibility. We removed the ads because we couldn’t control the very well and they wouldn’t pay the over head for a monthly fee on another site host. We have a bunch of renewals of things coming up shortly and I was meaning to ask for input, so this gives me a great opportunity for that!

Also, it’s been great to be surrounded by so many great front pagers, admins and commenters. I never really thought about any of this a year ago even!

I do track Alexa daily for us and similar blog and technorati authority is something I also follow because both show that we get a chance to be part of the large blog conversations even though we’ll probably never get up there with the really big blogs!

I’m just happy about how far we’ve come and that the atmosphere and the tone of the front page is so wonky, juicy, and controversial! I just love to have intense conversations about policy that don’t turn into continual personal attacks!

Thanks every one!

and I love Sly BB !!!

I love that we’ve been able to keep it civil here for all this time. We’ve had very few troll comments even. It just goes to show that if you focus on serious issues (most of the time) and you try not to attack other people too much, people can stay friendly and agree in a civil manner.

Of course It’s fun to attack nasty politicians, but not other bloggers and commenters.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Yes, thank you everyone…and thank you Dak and BB for giving me a chance to write for this amazing blog. I love being a part of this community, it has been a wonderful ride so far!

2. Riverbird says:

Congratulations and thank you! I come here once or twice every day, knowing there’ll be posts worth reading.

3. madamab says:

Congratulations, Sky Dancers! You deserve all the success in the world. 🙂

Just for fun you may want to track our falling “space junk” … especially any one near austin

Tracking the orbital decay of UARS. Providing information on getting a visual on its atmospheric reentry. | note: This is not a NASA official account | http://sites.google.com/site/uarsreentry/

@UARS_Reentry On Orbit is the twitter account

about four hours to the reentry

• Minkoff Minx says:

Hey, so it is actually heading for land? Brings back memories of Skylab.

yup: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/23/scitech/main20110732.shtml

NASA gives 1-hour window for falling satellite

NASA said late Friday that the satellite is now expected to fall from the sky between 11:45 p.m. EDT and 12:45 a.m. EDT Saturday.

Canada and Africa are in the potential crosshairs, although most of the satellite should burn up during re-entry. The United States isn’t entirely out of the woods; the possible strike zone skirted Washington state.

Earlier, it was reported that the satellite clung to space Friday, apparently flipping position in its ever-lower orbit and stalling its death plunge.

“It just doesn’t want to come down,” said Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

McDowell said the satellite’s delayed demise demonstrates how unreliable predictions can be. That said, “the best guess is that it will still splash in the ocean, just because there’s more ocean out there.”

• Branjor says:

AHHHHH !! I was watching the satellite video and all of a sudden there was a sound like when I touched an electrified screen once !! I thought the thing just fell on me – then a message came saying my adobe flash plug in had just crashed. The satellite was over the pacific last I saw of it.

• Minkoff Minx says:

Hey check this out:
          FAA Issues Satellite Warning to Pilots – National Journal staff – NationalJournal.com

“Aircraft are advised that a potential hazard may occur due to re-entry of satellite UARS into the Earth’s atmosphere,” the FAA said in the statement. “FAA is working with the Department of Defense and NASA to ensure the most current re-entry information is provided to operators as quickly as possible.”

FAA officials told pilots to keep an eye out for any fireballs or other signs of the satellite’s re-entry. “In the interest of flight safety, it is critical that all pilots/flight crew members report any observed falling space debris to the appropriate (air traffic control) facility and include position, altitude, time and direction of debris observed.”

• Branjor says:

My adobe flash plug in is back online and the satellite is over Canada now.

Congratulations on a great year of blogging !! I’ve enjoyed this blog very much (most of the time) and found it very informative.

5. HT says:

Congratulations everyone. I followed here from TC – I was a lurker there too back then. Anyway, I come here practically every day, rarely comment but enjoy all the articles and the links – could take me days to follow all of them so I have no idea how you folks do it – and for no pay? Labour of love has never seemed so daunting. All that to say you done good – all of you and while you may decide to move the platform please never change the content or the intent.
    Because, that’s the way I like it

6. janicen says:

Congratulations!! I can’t believe it’s been almost a year. This blog should be on everyone’s reading list. The posts are intelligent and informative. I’m in awe of your writing and your dedication.

7. northwestrain says:

WOW!!!!

Congratulations.

Everyday this blog has thought provoking items, comments etc.I learn something new everyday.

Mostly a whole lot of commons sense at Sky Dancing.

8. Fannie says:

Super Skydancers, it’s a go go.

9. Pat Johnson says:

Just popped in before hitting the sack. Congratulations to all the Front Pagers who make this site a “must read” every day.

I go back a ways with some of you and know full well the depth of your commitment to the truth, your fabulous writing skills, and you great sense of humor.

Keep up the good work as it has paid off so well for a “little blog that could”.

You did and it is well deserved!!

XX00

10. From number 190, let me offer my sincerest congrats.

So, um, what is this Technorati thing? What does it do?

11. Beata says:

Congrats, Sky Dancers!

I appreciate the hard work you all do to put up several well-written posts each day with links and updates on important, interesting topics. I stop by more than once daily to read the blog even if I don’t always comment.

Keep up the good work!

12. djmm says:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djmm

13. The Rock says:

Congrats Sky Dancers!! I am a follower from The Confluence and I’ve been able to discuss topics here with some of the most intelligent politicos in the country. From Dak’s economic discussiona to Minx’s evening roundups, from BB midweek am roundups to Wonk’s Saturday Hillary posts, this is the first place I come to for my news EVERYDAY. It is so nice to talk with people that aren’t batsh_t crazy (see definition of Obot). From the bottom of my heart to everyone here – thank you!!

Hillary 2012

14. Branjor says:

Holy smokes! (pardon the pun) Man dies of spontaneous combustion.

15. native1 says:

Congratulations. Well deserved.

16. Cwaltz says:

Congrats!

17. Boo Radly says:

I concur with what Rock says above – I never had any doubt knowing all of you as well as I did. Thanks for your dedication, intelligence and passion.

18. seagirl says:

I can’t remember anymore how I came upon Dakinikat’s original blog but at that time I was already reading BB’s posts at TC regularly. I come here at least once a day and though I hardly comment, I deeply appreciate your thought provoking articles on various issues. I look forward to Minkoff’s evening roundups too as they always include at least one topic of human interest. And of course Wonk’s writeups on Hillary have kept us abreast of her achievements. Thank you very much and warmest congratulations to all of you!

19. Delphyne says:

Congratulations!! It’s a great place to find out what’s going on – I rarely comment, but I’m a daily reader, often checking in 4 or 5 times to catch up on comments and new articles. Thanks so much for the time, effort and love you all put into the blog!

20. mjames says:

Congrats – and keep it up! I don’t always comment, but I’m here daily. I appreciate all your hard work and I also appreciate that you have created a healthy environment. Thanks.

21. thewizardofroz says:

Congratulations! Though I comment only rarely, I stop by several times every day. Mega-kudos to daikinikat, bb, and Minx for the superb front page material. And thanks to all the commenters who always have thought-provoking things to say while keeping it very civil.

Roz in NJ/NYC

22. Sweet Sue says:

Congratulations to the skydancers.
    This blog is essential reading everyday.
    Take a bow.

23. paper doll says:

Congratulations! 🙂 It’s gratifying to see …., but not surprising given the caliber of Dak, the STELLAR front pagers and commenters Congratulations again!

24. joanelle says:

I too know Kat and BB from ’08, in fact when I no longer saw you at the old site I just about had a panic attack – at first I thought I just was missing your posts and comments – but then I found you 🙂

Congratulations! Although I don’t always comment I’m here every morning I have access to the internet – often even before coffee – and I stop by thoughout the day – this little blog is a wonderful source of information that sometimes can’t be found elsewhere – thanks to the brilliance of our front pagers.

I deeply appreciate the civility, humor and sharing of your personal professional experiences.

Thanks!

25. Sophie says:

Congratulations and many more!

26. foxyladi14 says:

Congratulations on a great year the little blog that could!!! 🙂

27. purplefinn says:

Totally impressive. Talent, hard work, inquiring minds, and a small “d” democratic spirit pay off! Always stimulating. Thanks!

28. Theron G says:

So, where did this satellite finally end up, and who won the betting pool over in ireland ?
    Does he have all of it hid under his trailer, until the price of Aluminum goes up, or what ?