Next time we hear them talk about compromise, go buy some KY

I really don’t know exactly what the definition of a super committee is in the eyes of the El-Supremos, but I’d stock up on some lubricant if I were you.  Oh, and put some cat food on that list if you get a chance. Supposedly, there’s a deal and it ain’t pretty at all.  What would you expect with a Republican in the White House.

In many respects, the deal will, if approved by all parties, resemble the contours of a short-lived pact negotiated last weekend by House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. Obama rejected that deal, forcing Congress to wrestle with other inferior legislative options throughout the week.

Among the newest wrinkles, according to informed sources, is an agreement to extend the current $14.3 trillion debt ceiling very briefly to give the legislative process time to work without resorting to emergency, hurry-up measures.

President Obama has said he would only sign a short-term extension (days, not weeks) if it were linked to an extension of borrowing authority that lasts beyond the 2012 election.

According to sources, the Senate would use the military construction appropriations bill, one currently available for action, as the vehicle for the short-term extension. This element of the arrangement, like everything else, is subject to modification. But those close to the negotiations expect Congress to slow things down without jeopardizing the nation’s full faith and credit. A debt extension of days would achieve that goal.

Other component parts of the tentative deal include:

• $2.8 trillion in deficit reduction with $1 trillion locked in through discretionary spending caps over 10 years and the remainder determined by a so-called super committee.
  • The Super Committee must report precise deficit-reduction proposals by Thanksgiving.
  • The Super Committee would have to propose $1.8 trillion spending cuts to achieve that amount of deficit reduction over 10 years.
  • If the Super Committee fails, Congress must send a balanced-budget amendment to the states for ratification. If that doesn’t happen, across-the-board spending cuts would go into effect and could touch Medicare and defense spending.
  • No net new tax revenue would be part of the special committee’s deliberations.

With Democrats like these, who needs Republicans?  OH, right…supreme evil needs them.

Here’s some more compromise nastiness via ABC.  Looks like Wall Street is saved again and the rest of us just can go off to our appointed ice floes and die.

• Debt ceiling increase of up to $2.8 trillion
  • Spending cuts of roughly $1 trillion
  • Vote on the Balanced Budget Amendment
  • Special committee to recommend cuts of $1.8 trillion (or whatever it takes to add up to the total of the debt ceiling increase)
  • Committee must make recommendations before Thanksgiving recess
  • If Congress does not approve those cuts by late December, automatic across-the-board cuts go into effect, including cuts to Defense and Medicare.

You think we could get some credit for seeing through the Obama subterfuge before any one else did now?

20 Comments on “Next time we hear them talk about compromise, go buy some KY”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Oh wow, I don’t think KY is going to cut it. Need some serious Astro-Glide for this kind of crap both Republican parties are considering. You are right, there is no Democratic Party…they are all big fat elephants, and so the trampling of the little people begins. I am sick just thinking about what the future holds for us. Thanks for posting this Dak…

2. fiscalliberal says:

Could I suggest that compromise is a valid concept among leaders. Obama basically reacts and does not grab on new idea’s relevant to the times. It is interesting on how this was evident in the campaign with Hillary. When was off script he started stumbling.

I think it is fair to say that Reid and Pelosi also react, but are skilled in herding cats and get something done.

Democracy is supposed to let the new idea’s flourish. I have come to the view that can happen easier if you are on the upside of a economy. However real leadership is needed on the down side. It could be that we will have to keep changing executives until a good one for the times surfaces.

I do not expect that to happen in the near future. As a country, we are on the slide down. That can be managed with relevant leaders

3. cwaltz says:

Argh. So our best hope is the progressive caucus who just voted yes on Reid. Swell.

4. northwestrain says:

Excuse me I need to go vomit.

5. jawbone says:

Our only hope is the intransigence of the Tea Partiers and most conservative of ConservaDems in the House will not allow passage of the the Obama/McConnell/Reid abomination. If figure the “progressive” Dems and liberals will be Kuciniched (as Dennis was prior to Obama’s health insurance reform and profit protection plan was voted on).

But, it just may be rightwing, batshit crazy enough to appeal to them.

Super Congress of Twelve Caesars? Just might be hot stuff to these antidemocratic (both small “d’ and capital “D”) bastards.

Could anyone imagine that Obama would manage to destroy the Democratic Party in just 30 months in office??

Who could have engineered such an accomplishment? Is Obama actually just another Koched-up corporatist pol, acting out their fondest dreams? I mean, would someone who’s the darling of the FIRE sector really put that part of the economy through this kind of hell? Obama’s actions are more anarchist and purely destructive than i ever dreamed he would do.

I think he’s CIA, to be honest. For generations the CIA has been bankrupting third world countries and turning the populations into serfs. Now they are doing the same thing to us. The U.S. government has declared war on the American people.

6. jawbone says:

BTW, what time zone are the time stamps? I just posted at 8:44 AM EDT and it came out as 7:44 AM.

Also, would it be possible to have a time stamp for when main posts are put up?

And should be:

I figure the “progressive” Dems will Kuciniched….

But, it just may be rightwing, batshit crazy enough to appeal to the batshit crazy crowd.

I read the book long before the primaries started. It was obvious from chapter on the economy that Obama was going to attack Social Security and the rest of the safety net. It was also obvious from another chapter that he did not support women’s right to choose.

I tried telling people on Daily Kos these simple, obvious facts. I’m sure most of these people bought the book too, but either they didn’t understand Obama’s words or they didn’t read the book at all. Every time I would tell someone Obama was going to gut Social Security, they would heap abuse on me–“where did you get that idea?” I’d tell them, “I read his book.” But no one listened….

It’s interesting that Obama apparently didn’t ever believe the government was “cavalier” about spending money on wars–and he clearly thinks running up the deficit to protect banksters is just wonderful policy.

• jawbone says:

I tried to read his book, but I couldn’t get past the opening (there were excerpts on the web, iirc — I did not buy it).

At some blog (forgot which one) someone was going to try to explicate, highlight each chapter, but that person couldn’t keep going through it. (At least I think if was Audacity of Hope..).

The book was incredibly boring, but I struggled through it. When I got the chapter on the economy, I just about threw it across the room.