Late Night: Our Patronizing President

I'm too cool for school

After being mercilessly hounded by the media and his Democratic colleagues for what feels like a month, Anthony Weiner finally resigned from the House of Representatives today. After the recent remarks President Obama made suggesting Weiner should resign, you’d think he would have had the decency to just stay silent after the resignation. But no, Obama felt the need to deliver a patronizing and humiliating lecture to the already shamed former Congressman:

“I wish Rep. Weiner and his lovely wife well,” Obama said in a brief clip from an interview with ABC News that aired Thursday night on “World News.”

“Obviously, it’s been a tough incident for him. But I’m confident that they’ll refocus, he’ll refocus, and and he’ll end up being able to bounce back,” Obama said

What a nasty, condescending a-hole our President is! Nothing like rubbing salt in someone’s wounds. It seems President Obama never cared much for Weiner anyway:

Weiner and Obama did not always have a cordial relationship. As Obama’s health care bill was working its way through Congress, Weiner was critical of the president’s role in negotiations. “We started out from the place that the White House said, ‘We’ll accept anything. If you get 60 votes, we’ll take anything,’” Weiner said early last year. “There was a basic decision made to let the Senate write this bill in any way they thought they could to get 60 votes without any true, muscular leadership on the part of the White House.”

Kick ’em when they’re down: it must be the Chicago Way.

9 Comments on “Late Night: Our Patronizing President”

I can’t stand bullies.

• Sima says:

Me neither. I’m voting green. I’ve already decided. I can’t vote for Obama and I will never vote for a Repuke. So.. Green it is.

God. We are so going to h#ll in a handbasket!

2. Dario says:

Kick ‘em when they’re down: it must be the Chicago Way.

Hillary and Bill Clinton were deeply hurt by very vicious people, and many of those people have had very sour times, political disgrace, and a few very sad deaths. My view is that he was extremely clumsy and childish in the way he handled the affair, but I don’t agree that he needed to quit. I believe Weiner will put the whole thing behind him and he will be elected again.

3. propertius says:

I’ve been wondering all week if the White House wasn’t Breitbart’s real source.

• Dario says:

“In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.” I think there’s truth in that quote. The quote is attributed to FDR, but I can’t confirm he said it.

4. paper doll says:

Nothing like rubbing salt in someone’s wounds.

Just by Obama opening his mouth days ago , one knew it was a done deal…because that’s the only time he pipes up.

5. paper doll says:

Biden, Republicans will agree on cuts “beyond $1 trillion”

…There is a definite political significance to the close-mouthed character of the White House talks. What is taking place in Washington is a bipartisan conspiracy to rob the working class, slashing trillions from Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and other social programs, under economic conditions where these social benefits are more needed than ever. No leading Democrat or Republican wants to alert working people about the immensity of the changes in social policy that are being prepared.

Obama played his part in downplaying the impact of the cuts, telling NBC News Monday, “There is a way of solving this problem that doesn’t require any big radical changes. What it does require is everybody makes some sacrifices. An we make these changes in a balanced way….

help us Goddess

6. Minkoff Minx says:

Anthony Weiner Resignation Puts Scrutiny on Delinquent Lawmakers Who Kept Jobs – ABC News

And few political historians could recall when a sitting U.S. president so directly suggested that a member of Congress — much less one who had not been charged with a crime or violations of House ethics rules — step down, as President Obama did regarding Weiner earlier this week.

“Usually, presidents stay out of this stuff because it’s just tradition for Congress to decide its own matters,” said Princeton University political historian Julian Zelizer. “I can’t remember a comparable scandal when a president did that. It’s a very easy thing not to say anything.

“The irony of the Weiner situation is that there have been scandals when the leadership has been much more quiet in both parties,” he added.

This is the first main stream media article that actually addresses what we have been saying for weeks. Read the whole thing if you haven’t yet.