Breaking: Keith Olbermann Signs off “Countdown” for the Last Time.

Here is the video of Olberman’s goodbye statement.

The NYT has a banner up saying “Breaking News: MSNBC Says It Has Ended Keith Olbermann’s Contract.”

That’s all I can find so far. My only guess on the reason for the termination is that it has something to do with the NBC/Comcast merger. I will update as I learn more–or anyone else can feel free to update this post.

Terse statement released by MSNBC:

21 Jan 2011 8:02 PM
STATEMENT REGARDING KEITH OLBERMANN

STATEMENT REGARDING KEITH OLBERMANN:

MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract. The last broadcast of “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” will be this evening. MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC’s success and we wish him well in his future endeavors.

For more information contact:

Jeremy Gaines
e: jeremy.gaines@nbcuni.com

From the NYT Media Decoder blog:

Keith Olbermann, the highest-rated host on MSNBC, announced abruptly on the air Friday night that he is leaving the show immediately.

The host, who has had a stormy relationship with the management of the network for some time, especially since he was suspended for two days last November, came to an agreement with NBC’s corporate management late this week to settle his contract and step down.

In a closing statement on his show, Mr. Olbermann said simply that it would be the last edition of the program. He offered no explanation other than on occasion, the show had become too much for him.

According to the post, Lawrence O’Donnell’s show “The Last Word,” will replace “Countdown” at 8PM. MSNBC’s “settlement with Olbermann will keep him from moving to another network for an extended period of time.” It sounds like this was Olbermann’s idea, but if so, why announce it so suddenly?

36 Comments on “Breaking: Keith Olbermann Signs off “Countdown” for the Last Time.”

Looks like I’m all alone here. lol

nope… i was just laughing at Peter Daou’s last tweet and singing the Sesame street song … one of these things is not like the other …

peterdaou Peter Daou
      #Olbermann down, now if only @janehamsher, @ggreenwald, @markos et al. would stop blogging, Dems could painlessly ease over to the right

Which of the above seems more like a Republican plant to start out with?

Jane Hamsher before Olberman, lol.

• Valhalla says:

dak — I thought Markos WAS a Republican (that is, literally) before he moved to the Democrats when the religio-conservatives started to dominate the Rs. Along with Arianna (sp? I don’t really care enough to check). At least, while I don’t have any links I’m rather sure that’s how the story went — maybe I picked that up when I still hung around on TL?

• Haven’t read the rest of this thread yet but just saw Valhalla pop up on the sidebar of new comments– YEP Markos WAS a Republican! I have a link too. Hang on…

• Here y’all go, right out of the horse’s mouth himself… Markos on his days as an open Republican:

I was also a Republican. As a 17-year-old precinct captain in 1988, not even old enough to vote, I helped deliver one of the district’s best precinct performances for Henry Hyde. I had a framed picture of me with George H. W. Bush.

Of course, that was a different time, a different Republican Party. And I was a different kind of Republican — always socially liberal, committed to fiscal sanity, and willing to pay more than lip service to the concept of national service. Talk was cheap. I was going to wear combat boots.

• I’ve said it a gazillion times before and I’ll say it again:

The young/urbanite fiscal conservatives and the Kos/Arianna-style opportunists-in-progressive-clothing have come over to the Democratic party to destroy it.

• Valhalla says:

Wonk — thanks! I felt like I learned that from some not-crazy source, just couldn’t remember where. ITA on the destruction thing. That’s why it was so important to destroy Clinton and support Obama for them.

I’ll keep updating anyway….

Now that Olbermann is off the Obama bandwagon, comcast has no use for him

4. Native1 says:

I’m dropping by as often as I can. WOW this seemed to come out of nowhere. I hadn’t even heard a rumor about this.

5. Riverbird says:

Thanks for the link to the good-bye video. I quit watching Olbermann in 2008 because my blood pressure couldn’t take it.

This is from Raw Story:

Nothing new there so far…says “developing….”

7. cwaltz says:

Well can’t say that I’ll miss him. Then again I turned off the TV regarding news awhile ago. When it became readily apparent that no one in the mainstream media cared about the actual Democratic process I said buh-bye.

8. Fredster says:

Uh-oh…what will Jane do for network facetime now? I saw her once on O’Donnell but most of the time (when I saw it) she was on Olbermann’s show.

9. Dario says:

Those who blindly supported Obama threw away the baby with the bathwater.

All we have now is Obamacrats and Republicans. In the next election the choice is Obama and a Republican.

Ugh! I’m voting for Nader. LOL.

10. WomanVoter says:

Doesn’t Olbermann have a medical condition that doesn’t allow him to drive? Could that have factored into his abrupt decision to end his show?

11. Fannie says:

Wow, that was a left hook! Flushed him out for good, and I can only hope that he goes bankrupt.

12. TheRock says:

Are we supposed to care whether he is on TV or not? He is part of the eason the country has Obumbles. He is an Asshat. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. One by one, karma is catching up with the wicked. Now if only Tingles would just follow suit….

Asshat.

Hillary 2012

13. WomanVoter says:

So, what did Keith Olbermann do before CountDown?

• Seriously says:

Sports. He was on Fox Sports, and before that ESPN where he was such an ass to his female colleague she used to hide from him and cry in the ladies’ room. Good riddance to him, but he’ll undoubtedly land somewhere else.

14. Teresa says:

Olbermann was supposed to be around for 2 more years…..Maybe something about the NBC/Comcast merger gave the network an out to “renegotiate” his contract…

15. zaladonis says:

I don’t think it’s Comcast. I think Olbermann’s a diva without an Opera. Spittle is not an aria.

Bet Tweety is beside himself with joy.

Chris Matthews is one of the most repulsive, disgusting creatures on earth–every bit as much a misogynist as Olbermann. I’d love to have both of them disappear.

• zaladonis says:

Couldn’t agree more. If anything he’s worse.

And he has that perverted way of talking that seems like he’s always about to spit on you.

16. zaladonis says:

O’Donnell swooping into Olbermann’s 8pm timeslot reminds me of Glinda saying of the Wicked Witch of the West, “She’s worse than the other one.”

17. HT says:

Karma is right. Isn’t it funny that one by one the people who knifed Hillary in the back are getting their comeuppance? When will Brazille feel the weight of her perfidy?

18. paper doll says:

Somewhere Ed Murrow is smiling… now that this ass is justly canned, he will no longer be able to steal Ed’s sigh off every night. 🙂 Good night and good luck yourself KO!

• juststoppingby says:

lol.

I once wanted to have his babies. (kidding…sorta).

Too bad. Once the voice of “the left truth to power”, he totally fucked up. Big time.

19. I keep seeing the Comcast factor come up on the blogs. Definitely think Comcast has something to do with Keith being gone, but I think another aspect to this is that even before Comcast came into the picture, NBC & friends (people like Tom Brokaw??) and MSNBC.com (not the same entity as MSNBC news channel), etc. just did not want to be associated with the name Keith Olbermann. I’ve noticed several noises they’ve made here and there in the press over the last several months esp.

If I can work it in, I’ll try to do a post, but y’all can google MSNBC.com wanting to change their url or something because they don’t want to be associated with MSNBC’s partisanship. I distinctly remember reading that story and thinking, hmm… sounds like they’re starting a duel with Keith.