Gun Culture

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

That’s the amendment that’s seems to define the United States right now.   The others appear to be to be negotiable or endangered.

Here’s a few tidbits in the news today dealing with Guns.

One strange headline from Politico:

Evidently, Republican Pete King thinks it’s okay to carry guns around, just not around him.  Well, at least not within about 1,000 feet of him and his colleagues.  I guess preschoolers don’t deserve the same kind of protection.

“It would give law enforcement the weapon they need to protect federal officials, and just as importantly, it would provide a large measure of security for those who want to meet with their federal elected officials,” said King, who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

According to The Hill, Weeper of the House John Boehner just says NO to gun control.   Guess he really wants an NRA fundraiser for his next election.

King’s legislation got the cold shoulder from Boehner and other Republicans after it was announced.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said the Speaker would not support King’s legislation.

The office of Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said the majority leader is reserving judgment until the King bill is finalized.

“Mr. Cantor believes it’s appropriate to adequately review and actually read legislation before forming an opinion about it,” Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring stated in an e-mail.

Michael Riley of Bloomberg writes that “Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings”. Guess I’ll be ordering the latest fashion for those chickens among us:  a bullet proof space suit.

After a Glock-wielding gunman killed six people at a Tucson shopping center on Jan. 8, Greg Wolff, the owner of two Arizona gun shops, told his manager to get ready for a stampede of new customers.

Wolff was right. Instead of hurting sales, the massacre had the $499 semi-automatic pistols — popular with police, sport shooters and gangsters — flying out the doors of his Glockmeister stores in Mesa and Phoenix.

“We’re at double our volume over what we usually do,” Wolff said two days after the shooting spree that also left 14 wounded, including Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who remains in critical condition.

A national debate over weaknesses in state and federal gun laws stirred by the shooting has stoked fears among gun buyers that stiffer restrictions may be coming from Congress, gun dealers say. The result is that a deadly demonstration of the weapon’s effectiveness has also fired up sales of handguns in Arizona and other states, according to federal law enforcement data.

“When something like this happens people get worried that the government is going to ban stuff,” Wolff said.

Yes, it’s the good old U S of A where you too can be a militia of one.

Yup, it’s an open thread, but please don’t lock and load!   I’m your Huckleberry.

25 Comments on “Gun Culture”

1. Minkoff Minx says:

Hey Dak, great timing for this post.

Tomorrow, I have a link to an article written by a famous western author about the shootings in AZ, that discusses this topic.

Alright, The Daily Show just did my sides in. They just suggested a new edition of Huck Finn with all the N-words back in but then credit it to “Lil Twain.”

3. Pat Johnson says:

I can only imagine an alien looking down at us from outer space while trying to figure out the culture of Earth.

Guns strapped to people going to church. Reality tv. Snooki as author. Creationist museums. Glenn Beck. Jimmy Choo shoes.

Go home, alien. Not worth the effort.

If I were an alien, I’d stick to looking at the scenery that’s if we don’t destroy it all first.

Here’s one for you Pat!

Leading evangelical halts effort to increase political civility

At a moment when many Americans are decrying the overheated tone of American politics, an influential evangelical voice said Tuesday he is folding a project he helped found to increase political civility.

Mark DeMoss said he is halting the initiative, called the Civility Project, due to lack of interest.

“After only three members of Congress agreed to sign this Civility Pledge last year I’ve decided to shut it down,” DeMoss told CNN by e-mail on Tuesday. He runs a public relations firm that represents Franklin Graham, Campus Crusade for Christ International and other major Christian figures and groups.

DeMoss announced that he is closing his project in a recent letter to the handful of politicians who signed the project’s pledge.

“I’m worried about where we’re headed as a country on the civility scale,” DeMoss said in the letter, dated January 3. “I’d be more worried if I were an elected representative at any level.”

Sort’ve the opposite of what if they gave a war and nobody came? Isn’t it?

David Nelson, older son in Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, dies at age 74 http://bit.ly/ets0Jm

I have no idea what caused me to go to our twitter account and check out the @’s but now I have a multiple choice question. Which tweet is the most bizarre? Then, a short answer question. Was there something in the national water supply in late December that no one warned me about?

huhn?

Extra Credit: Do this weekends event’s impact your visceral reaction?

• Sima says:

Can’t understand what the first one is referring to, but then, when did I ever?

The second one reminds me of my Mom’s relatives or my last college roommate who told me to my face that although I was a good person, she firmly believed I was going to hell, and that that was a good thing, because I didn’t believe in her brand of Jesus worship.

Still don’t. Arguments like that just make me stubborn.

• Teresa says:

Honestly, truly, I think #1 is actually losing her ability to be rational. I’m not kidding, not trying to be snarky. I’ve seen signs numerous times, especially on some of her comments yesterday in blog threads that all is not right in her head. Yesterday in comments, she thought people were trying to suppress her when they weren’t. People blamed jet lag because she was traveling, but I’ve seen it when she wasn’t traveling. It looks like paranoia to me.

Of course, I’ve also observed that she’s a mean-spirited, spiteful beotch, so maybe that’s it.

• purplefinn says:

The latter comment made me laugh. Re god, be very worried!

We got a this in reply to that. A snarky tweeter that BB follows and added when she set the account up. She’s the tweet diva. My thing is the facebook. Wonk is the multitasking diva of both. Minx has rad web skills. Gotta love TechnoWomen!! Kinda funny.

6. Minkoff Minx says:

Fruit Growers Express: 1910 | Shorpy Historic Photo Archive

Here is a picture of the docks in New Orleans, 1910….y’all have a good night…

7. Sima says:

Just went out with the partner and knocked the snow from the hoop house. We’ve had about 6 inches of wet snow, so far. Might be stopping for a bit. It’s supposed to change to rain. It sure is pretty, and the dog loves it. We got all our shopping done, and the power is still on, so let it snow!