Tuesday News BreakPosted: November 9, 2010
WTF?! A missle launch off the coast of California and no one admits knowing where it came from? Who is running this country? Oh yeah, an inexperienced, clueless guy who split the scene right after his party’s disastrous showing in the midterm elections. Hey, we need some answers here.
The video was captured by KCBS in San Diego last night.
A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught on video Monday evening by a KCBS news helicopter.
The spectacular contrail could easily be seen up in Los Angeles, but who launched this missile and why, remain a mystery for now….
A Navy spokesperson tells News 8, this wasn’t its missile. He said there was no Navy activity reported in that part of the region.
On Friday, November 5, Vandenberg Air Force Base launched a Delta II rocket, carrying the Thales Alenia Space-Italia COSMO SkyMed satellite, but a sergeant at the base tells News 8, there have been no launches since then.
Someone semingly launched a mysterious missile 35 miles off of the California coast last night — just west of Los Angeles and north of Catalina Island. But anyone in the military knows who did it, or what the hell the thing was, they haven’t told me yet.
“We’ve checked and confirmed — this is not associated with any Navy operations,” says sea service spokesman Lt. Myers Vasquez. Who knows, the thing might only look like a missile – but turn out to be something else.
“Several different offices are looking into it,” says Anthony Roake, a spokesman for Air Force Space Command. “I’m reaching blanks with the folks I’ve talked to.” U.S. Strategic Command, Air Force Global Strike Command, the and Missile Defense Agency sources are similarly stumped.
In an odd statement, U.S. Northern Command says it’s “unable to provide specific details… [but] can confirm that there is no threat to our nation, and from all indications this was not a launch by a foreign military.”
What the heck is going on here? Via an update to the Danger Room post, naval analyst Raymond Pritchett says the lack of information provided by the government is a security risk in itself.
When someone makes an unannounced launch what looks to be a ballistic missile 35 miles from the nations second largest city (at sea in international waters), and 18 hours later NORAD still doesn’t have any answers at all – that complete lack of information represents a credible threat to national security. If NORAD can’t answer the first and last question, then I believe it is time to question every single penny of ballistic missile defense funding in the defense budget. NORTHCOM needs to start talking about what they do know, rather than leaving the focus on what they don’t know.
If this missile was launched at sea, was it launched from a ship or sub? If it wasn’t our ship or sub, then whose ship or sub was it? Did anyone cross-reference the launch with public AIS logs from the port of Los Angeles yet? How many dozens of times have we had someone give Congressional testimony regarding the scenario where a non-state actor launches a short ranged ballistic missile from a ship off the coast?
I raise that last point to note, if the mystery missile didn’t come from our military, you have to start looking for alternatives… and most of those alternatives are a threat to national security.
Here is a less surprising story from the Obama Times: No Charges in Destruction of C.I.A. Interrogation Tapes
A federal prosecutor will not bring criminal charges against any of the Central Intelligence Agency officers involved in destroying videotapes depicting the brutal interrogation of Al Qaeda detainees, the Justice Department said on Tuesday.
After an investigation spanning nearly three years, John H. Durham, the special prosecutor assigned to the case by former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, has decided not to charge the C.I.A. undercover officers and top lawyers at the agency for their roles in the destruction of the tapes.
Wonderful. Just more evidence (as if we needed it) that Obama is Bush III.
Jeff Kaye had a frightening post on Obama’s executive assassination program at FDL yesterday:
Today in federal court, government attorney Douglas Letter argued against a lawsuit brought by both the ACLU and the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) that the U.S. executive power had the right to kill an American citizen abroad, without review by the judiciary. In his argument to drop the suit, brought on behalf of the father of “radical” Muslim cleric Anwar Al-Aulaqi [Awlaki], Letter claimed, ““If we use lethal force we do so consistent with the law.”
Why didn’t we just make Dick Cheney dictator and get it over with? Please read the whole thing. I can’t begin to choose excerpts.
The Oil Spill Commission is finding a “culture of complacency” behind one of the the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history.
A stream of evidence shows that “a culture of complacency” rather than a “culture of safety” prevailed at BP, Transocean and Halliburton as they worked on the ill-fated Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, according to one of the chairmen of the presidential commission investigating the April 20 gulf oil spill.
William K. Reilly, who was EPA administrator under President George H.W. Bush, said that the panel’s investigators had uncovered “a suite of bad decisions,” many still inexplicable, involving tests that were poorly run, alarming test results that were ignored, proper equipment sidelined, and safety barriers that were removed at the high-pressure well prematurely.
What news stories or blog posts are catching your attention this afternoon?