Open Thread: New Police Video of George Zimmerman

This video of George Zimmerman climbing a staircase at the Sanford Police Department is dated February 29, 2012–three days after Zimmerman shot unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin. Can anyone see two black eyes and a swollen bandaged nose?

From the Miami Herald: George Zimmerman had a broken nose, two cuts and two black eyes: ABC News report

The day after he killed Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman showed up at a doctor’s office with a broken nose, two black eyes and two small cuts on the back of his head, ABC News reported Tuesday.

According to medical records obtained by the network, he also had a minor back injury. Zimmerman takes Temazepam, an insomnia medication, and Adderall — which is prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or narcolepsy — “medications that can cause side effects such as agitation and mood swings, but in fewer than 10 percent of patients,” ABC reported.

The three-page medical report prepared by a physician near Sanford showed that Zimmerman declined to go to the hospital and did not get follow up care, ABC said. He also complained of stress and nausea.

The above video was recorded two days after Zimmerman saw his doctor. I’ve never had a black eye or a broken nose, but two days seems like a very short time for black eyes to have healed.

So far the news reports I’ve seen about this video have called attention to the fact that Zimmerman is walking around the police station unattended and that he has a bandage on the back of his head, but none have noted the lack of injuries on his face. Are my eyes deceiving me?

About these ads

18 Comments on “Open Thread: New Police Video of George Zimmerman”

I’m obsessed with this case, but talk about anything you want. I can’t find much real news out there.

Nine-year-old Scottish girl starts blog to protest skimpy, unhealthy school lunches.

Charles Pierce comments on Mitt Romney, accidental Keynesian.

James Fallows has a very interesting piece looking back at Barack Obama’s reasons for opposing the nomination of John Roberts to the Supreme Court.

5. ANonOMouse says:

I’m with you BB, I don’t see the injuries claimed, except for bandage over abrasions on back of head. I have had black eyes and a broken nose on a couple of occasions (played sports) and it takes weeks, sometimes months for black eyes, especially severe bruising around and under eyes, to disappear.

I stopped the video to examine the face, but still saw nothing that looked like facial bruising. I’m sure we’ll see an “enhanced video” at some point, maybe then we’ll get a better look at his face.

That’s an awfully jaunty walk up the stairs for someone who’s supposed to have head injuries, and nausea (which can happen about head injuries). Video quality wasn’t high enough for me to be certain, but his face has no indication of trauma. Black eyes take weeks to resolve.

Odd that he didn’t go to a hospital but went to a physician who sounds like his regular PCP. Not many small offices have all the equipment you’d want to scan and document extent of injuries in a thorough or forensic standard.

Something’s not right, like the time my neighbor tried to compost fish on the TOP of her compost pile in summer.

• RalphB says:

You’re right. And composting fish on top is a bad idea ;-)

• Seriously says:

They should make a seventh Rocky movie about this guy. His jaunty recovery from having his head bashed into the pavement is nothing short of inspirational.

6. northwestrain says:

What Really Lies Behind the ‘War on Women’
    By Naomi Wolf, Guardian UK

Wolf steps back and takes looks at the history and other reasons for this massive invasion of privacy. Wolf writes:

” But the groups and representatives that are wallpapering state legislatures with identikit legislation to penalize women’s sexual and reproductive rights are the same bloc that gleefully kill food stamp programs used by the same desperate women if they choose to bear the child. This is the same constituency that happily supports sending moms of small children who are in the military into harm’s way in corporate wars of choice. So what is this push deriving from?

I had an “Aha” moment recently in Oxford. I was speaking about the British Contagious Diseases Acts – legislation passed in the 1860s that caused thousands of women be arrested and locked up for up to eight months at a time for looking as if they might have had sex. A graduate student asked me, perceptively, if I had looked at this issue in relation to issues of empire at that time, and another student noted in response that imperial British forces had, at around the same time, set up a complex and expansive equivalent of “lock hospitals” to incarcerate and manage prostitutes in colonised regions.

It was a moment of realisation for me because, indeed, that is what empire does; and that is what empire is doing now: systems of control are practiced and, in a sense, perfected “elsewhere” on “the other”; and then, they are too temptingly effective to gatekeepers not to bring them home to use, at length, on their own populations. ”

This part has been argued by many of my sociology Professors — about the US Gov. brings back techniques and equipment used in war zones to be used against citizens. WE are all suspects now — TSA for example — everyone even babes in arms are a “suspect”. Torture used on prisoners in Iraq — not very different to the torture used on prisoners in the US. (Rape in jails, sexual assault in US jails etc.)

Drones and cameras everywhere — not yet in the bedroom and women are not yet wearing electronic implants to monitor their/our sexual activity. How very 1984 — the characters in that book were monitored 24/7. And there was great interest by the rulers in especially the sexual activity of the citizens.

7. northwestrain says:

There is a app for Kindle Fire — or android phones. News 360 — there’s a lot of interesting International news as well as National News. It’s easy to flick through headlines — ignoring the famous people/gossip garbage and finding the meat of the news.

But as we all know — hunting down the news and then reading the various reports takes a lot of time. The working poor don’t have the time or skills to dig for the news.

8. northwestrain says:

The leaked Pope papers — (about corruption) — seems like the cops think the butler did it.

I wonder of Popesie tortured everyone in the castle to find out who did it? Pope Rat — indeed!

News 360 says MSNBC has the details.

9. northwestrain says:

From the Cannes 2012 extravaganza — the only news of interest —

There is an acting award for the best canine performance in any film at Cannes — call the Palm Dog prize.

The prize this year was awarded to “an up and coming British talent: Smurf, a terrier who co-starts in the dark comedy Sightseers.” Source: Telegraph.

10. Spent the day cooking…this time ten pounds of meatballs, I am so tired!

• northwestrain says:

More reasons to distrust TSA — who call ALL travelers — suspects including toddlers.

Any time I see a child being molested by the TSA I remember that criminals are working at the TSA. So parents are being forced to watch their children being molested by people who could have really old records involving . . . . . whatever.

Which is why I no longer fly — it hurts worse to see the TSA abuse children. I can’t stand that.