Wednesday Afternoon Open Thread

Cartoon by Bruce Plante

Good Afternoon!!

Here we are on the first day of Spring 2019, and a madman is still “president.” He’s getting crazier and crazier with each passing day.  Here’s proof, in case you need it:

What a fucking moron!

Cartoon by Andy Marlette

Then there are the moronic “B-boys.” There are four of them: Biden, Beto, Bernie, and now Buttigieg, the latest Democrat to dump on Hillary.

Hey Pete, Hillary’s slogan was “Stronger Together.” Are you sure you want to attack her millions of supporters who collectively said, “I’m with her?” Too late, you already did.

Margaret Sullivan at The Washington Post: Beto, Biden and Bernie: The B-Boys and the media’s dangerous, self-fulfilling prophecy.

As amorous embraces go, few could be more ardent than the one Beto O’Rourke got this month from Vanity Fair magazine.

The perfectly timed cover treatment was the full monty: Rugged-glam photo by the legendary Annie Leibovitz, the former Texas congressman’s earnest Kennedy-esque gaze, and the ripe-for-parody headline including this immortal quote: “I’m just born to be in it.”

Most Americans wouldn’t see the magazine itself, of course, but the rest of the news media — including network evening news — helped spread the image around as they gave over-the-top coverage to O’Rourke’s kickoff….

Somehow, despite a remarkably diverse Democratic field — which includes a record number of women, a gay man and several people of color — the B-Boys (that is, Beto, Biden and Bernie) — were off and running.

The news media undoubtedly was part of the equation. With more than 18 months to go before the 2020 election, the love and attention was not being dished out in equal measure.

As author Rebecca Traister described it, she woke up one morning this week thinking about the flawed notion that being a white man is actually a disadvantage, given this diverse field.

The reality is quite the opposite, she wrote on Twitter: “Early metrics would show it to be an extremely powerful polling & fundraising boon, as it has always, always been.”

And now we can add another B-boy to the list of white men getting all the attention.

I’m already sick and tired of the 2020 election campaign and it’s still early 2019.

More suggested reads and then some cartoons.

Barbara McQuade at USA Today:The bread crumb papers: Why Cohen document dump should worry Donald Trump and others.

Robin Marty at Politico: I Am an Abortion Rights Activist. I Hope the Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade.

Politico: Kellyanne Conway defends Trump after he attacks her husband.

Kevin Drum at Mother Jones: Centrists Have Great Bullshit Radar (in Sweden, Anyway).

Mother Jones: “Detached From Reality”: Following Twitter Lawsuit Over Mockery, Devin Nunes Again Gets Mocked.

Vox: Robert Mueller’s team says it will be very busy in the coming days.

Natasha Bertrand at The Atlantic: The Enigmatic Russian Paying Maria Butina’s Legal Bills.

Gabriel Sherman at Vanity Fair: “Everyone thinks they’re going to sell”:  Hellfire at Fox as Hannity mulls leaving and Lachlan goes full Donna Brazile on Trump.

Cartoon by Andy Marlette

by Steve Sack

By Bob Gorrell

By Clay Jones

By Dave Whamond

By Dave Whamond

By Ed Wexler

By John Cole

By Mike Luckovich

By Mike Luckovich

By Pat Bagley

By Clay Jones

By Pat Bagley

By Mike Thompson

Even the cartoons aren’t funny anymore. Sad.

37 Comments on “Wednesday Afternoon Open Thread”

I hope everyone has a nice day. At least we can look forward to warmer weather soon.

Happy Spring, SkyDancers!

4. Enheduanna says:

Luna – is this true??? Sounds too good to be:

Apparently Inslee is going to sign it! To be on the ballot in 2020 they have to submit tax returns…
    hahahahaha Thank you Washington state!!!!!1111!!

Oh yes, it’s true, and Inslee is definitely for it! Luv my Guv! Other states are moving to do this also, though the vote will probably be “along party lines.”

6. Pat Johnson says:

So far none of these candidates have pulled away from the pack with the exception of the coverage giving over to Biden-Beto-Bernie, none of whom I can stand. Beto comes across as an idiot to be honest. Bernie = NO. And the only interest I have in Biden is the possibility of Stacy Abrams.

The Red Sox open the season in a few weeks which is the only thing that keeps me going. But I am reading “The Kushner’s” which is as juicy a gossip book as it can get!

• quixote says:

These are not, in ordinary times, gangs with a lot of redeeming features either. Nasty, violent, drag kids down, etc etc etc.

And even they’re reacting like real human beings to all this.

Good on ’em!

8. Sweet Sue says:

I don’t want to be a killjoy, but I’ve recently read that birds have plenty of material with which to build their nests and we shouldn’t help them. Apparently many birds come into avian shelters with yarn wrapped around their legs and feet. Not only can they not fly, some of them need amputations. Cat and dog fur may have flea and tick treatments that will cause harm to the birds and their young.

• quixote says:

Good to know! I’m one of those leaving various kinds of fluffy things out. (Always fleecey, never yarn or the like.) I guess I’ll stop!

Thanks for the info! I don’t put out yarn, only the loose fleece in small tufts. Also I don’t use anything on my cats other than combs & brushes.

9. Minkoff Minx says:

Thank you Kat and Ann for covering for me… tomorrow will be a week that my mother has passed away:

I watched Ryan’s Daughter today. That was one of her favorite films I find myself talking to her. I half expect to get an answer…I cannot believe she is gone. I miss her so much.

• quixote says:

Oh, JJ, I’m so sad and sorry to hear she passed away. Losing your mother is so, so hard. Sometimes all you can do is get up in the morning and try to keep your hair combed.

We miss you but we’re happy to do it! Take all the time you need !!! Love you!
      XOXOXOXOXOX

Oh JJ. My heart is with you. Such pain. Of course you can’t really feel she is no longer living, even though your intellect has registered her passing. Talking to her in your mind is because she is still part of you (and always will be). I still sometimes “talk” with my lost loved ones. Gentle hugs for you. I only wish I could be with you and honor your grief in person.

• Enheduanna says:

My deepest condolences JJ. I hope the good memories you have will sustain you.

• RonStill4Hills says:

So sorry for your loss.

10. Sweet Sue says:

God bless you, JJ. Bless you all.

12. RonStill4Hills says:

You can add Booker to the B-Boys.

He is boo’ed with Rosario Dawson and that is a full stop disqualifier for me.

Rosario was a lying Bernie Bot on par with Susan Sarandon.

I’m out.

It all recommends for Kamala or Stacy if she gets in. I can even overlook what I don’t like about Elizabeth, Kirsten and Amy, But Bernie – no, Booker – no, Biden – no. Beto, I’m no impressed yet, but the door is not closed either.

13. Interesting trail of messages…
    The NZ Prime Minister is going to shame them all.
    And it’s about time too.