Good Afternoon Sky Dancers!

The first thing I need to say is this is not a headline out of some conspiracy rag or The Onion.  You can find it on the NYT at this link.

■ The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, publicly confirmed an investigation into Russian interference in the presidential election and whether associates of the president were in contact with Moscow.

■ Mr. Comey also said the F.B.I. had “no information” to support President Trump’s allegation that Barack Obama wiretapped him.

■ The hearing’s featured witnesses: Mr. Comey and Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency.

You may find it on Politico here.

FBI Director James Comey confirmed Monday the FBI is investigating Russia’s meddling in the presidential election, including possible links between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

He also shot down President Donald Trump’s explosive claim that President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower in the run-up to the presidential election.

Comey told the House Intelligence Committee at a hearing that the bureau normally does not comment on the existence of counterintelligence investigations, but that he was authorized by the Justice Department to do so in this case because of the extraordinary public interest.

“This will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed,” Comey told the intelligence panel, explaining that the investigation began in late July. He said he could not give a timeline or comment further on the matter, but pledged to “follow the facts wherever they lead.”

Comey also said he had “no information” to support Trump’s claim, made on Twitter, about Trump Tower being wiretapped by his predecessor.

“I have no information that supports those tweets, and we have looked carefully inside the FBI,” Comey said. He added that the Justice Department had also looked for evidence to support the president’s allegation and could not find any.

Or, if you prefer, here’s the link at WAPO.

Under questioning from the top Democrat on the panel, Rep. Adam Schiff (Calif.), Comey said no president could order such surveillance. He added the Justice Department had asked him to also tell the committee that that agency has no such information, either.

You can read a lot of the responses by both Republicans and Democrats at the WAPO link.  Gowdy is as bad as you would expect.  Schiff is the hero of the day.

It’s hard to put all of this into perspective but I’d have to say this is the single most important political scandal I’ve lived through since Watergate, Arms for Hostages, and all the crazy shit we did in South America during the Reagan/Bush years.  It’s up there with something that’s so hard to believe that I have to pinch myself daily.

There will be impeachment proceedings. We may even see a frog marchs.  Let’s just hope no one ever gets pardoned for any of this.

What’s on your reading and blogging list today?

Advertisements

70 Comments on “Monday Reads: The sitting President’s campaign is under FBI Investigation for Colluding with an Enemy”

1. janicen says:

Trump has been President for two months. Two. Months. And we’re watching a congressional hearing where the head of the FBI has confirmed that the agency is investigating his campaign and the influence and relationships with a foreign adversary. This is truly extraordinary.

• Pat Johnson says:

And it commenced 3 months before the election!

Today’s briefing with Sean Spicer should be a hoot!

Trump needs to resign now!

• Joanelle says:

The election needs to be declared Null & Void!
        Any other country would, for sure! the man needs to GO!

• Fannie says:

Sure enough. The sonvabitch got on stage screaming that Hillary Clinton had 650 emails, and being investigated. And then he said he won because no body would vote for a candidate under investigation. Meanwhile the creep was under investigation since July 2016. Yet the media got so hung up on the f&cking emails, and the drip drip drip, that they couldn’t see what the hell was really going on.

• Earlynerd says:

The media wasn’t hung up – they just needed an excuse, any excuse to smear a strong woman candidate. One, moreover, that given a chance, really would have reined in the banks and corporations. That would include the men who own the few media mega-corporations in the U.S.

For all of the media, print as well as broadcast, getting Hillary beat was a two-fer: stroking that sexist nerve the male media owners all have, and not having to worry about the excesses committed by those near-monopolistic corporations and their very wealthy male owners.

• Enheduanna says:

Janicen – that was one of my first thoughts. Here we are less than 60 days in and he’s already mired in muck up to his neck. Bigly.

Congresswoman Sewell: Flynn should be under CRIMINAL Investigation.

And T-Rump is totally losing his shit on twitter again:

• Pat Johnson says:

WTF?? This man is nuts!

• Fannie says:

Wikileaks was being manipulated by Russians, and he damn well knew it! It was verified, but hey, go find Hillary’s emails……….I love me some wiki leaks he said, I love Russian to share them with us.

Are you kidding me, even Bernie got a look!

It’s important to note that Comey knowingly risked being fired in order to say publicly that there is an investigation of the sitting president and his associates.

• Minkoff Minx says:

But wtf was that shit with the letter and his involvement in the Clinton email rehash a week before the election?

He has a helluva lot to answer for:

I can’t believe he hasn’t been asked about it. Maybe that was part of the deal with Congress. He did allude to it in his opening statement, saying that he only comments on completed investigations. But obviously he had to know that he was going to have an effect on the election. He’s not a stupid person.

• janicen says:

I think that Comey did it because he knew that the NY FBI office was going to leak it anyway and if they did and it didn’t come from him, it would damage Comey’s credibility and the Trumpers would use that to discredit the investigation. Comey’s hand was forced which goes to show you the depth of the infiltration by the Russians. I hate what happened to Hillary but I think it would have happened even if Comey hadn’t sent the letter and at least now we have him continuing to run the investigation he’s been running all along. Time will tell, but I think Comey is going to be thorough in this investigation of what happened.

• Fannie says:

Exactly who would fire him………..he as a ten year term. If Trump could have fired him he would have already…….yes?

Wenstrup is asking about what Flynn did, but the point is that Flynn lied about getting paid for attending the dinner.

8. Pat Johnson says:

Gasp! Comey hates the Patriots!

9. ANonOMouse says:

“There will be impeachment proceedings. We may even see a frog marchs. Let’s just hope no one ever gets pardoned for any of this.”

I agree that at this point there appears to be evidence that may indicate that there was collusion. The problem is going to be connecting trump to that collusion. There are likely to be fall guys who take the wrap while trump simply resigns and flies away to Mar-a-Lago.

My problem with that scenario is that I despise Mike Pence almost as much as trump. I can’t even imagine anything good happening in the next 4 years. The best we can hope for at this point is that trump resign and that we regain seats in both Houses.

Gowdy hates the first amendment.

He personally leaked scads of stuff against Clinton, but now he wasn’t to prosecute the press.

• ANonOMouse says:

Gowdy would put the reporters in jail who’ve reported on Trumpussia Gate. That grease ball is so dirty he sweats like a hog every time he’s on camera. How can one party have so many despicable characters as their leaders.

Dovetails with Cross Check efforts to keep people from voting.

I’m furious and sick at heart at the same time.

13. Enheduanna says:

It is sickening the lengths to which the (mostly) men went to to keep Hillary from winning. From Bernie to Assange to Chaffetz, Gowdy, Comey, tRump & Co. with his “lock her up” – and that was only the half of it (the media and voter suppression).

This is not a legitimate administration, They look weak and they are weak. I think that’s why his supporters are so pissed off even though they won. They know what they are.

• Enheduanna says:

oops I forgot Putin.

• joanelle says:

How is his repeated reving up of his audiences with “lock her up” chanting to rile up large groups any different than shouting fire in a crowded building? We are now seeing significant negative impact on our international relations, more violence in our streets and increased hostile attitude.
        The attitude that if the president can do it (say it) by can’t we?

14. janicen says:

I also noticed that the second time it came up during the hearing about whether or not actually voting was affected by Russian hacking Comey said, “…that we know of…”. I personally think voting was somehow manipulated. Nobody has been able to explain Florida which was mathematically impossible for Clinton to lose after the early voting results and yet, she did. Also, provisional ballots disappeared in NC and who knows what might have happened to the voting machines with no paper backup in PA? I will always believe Hillary actually won the electoral vote except for the fact that they cheated.

• Fannie says:

We knew it, we were fucking shocked

I agree, Janice.

Yep. Florida, and there were a couple of other states which were looking good for Hillary (NC?) and then suddenly the #s starting heading the same way as Florida’s. Very suspicious.

• Enheduanna says:

I wanna know wtf happened with broken voting machines in Detroit. And where is the outrage over that? I will never believe tRump won Michigan fair and square.

Weren’t there some Wisconsin precincts with 90% turnout or something ridiculous? I actually trust the Russians more than I do GOP elections officials.

15. janicen says:

I had to leave at 2:30 for a dentist appointment but what I saw up to that point makes me feel pretty good. I’d be terrified if I were Stone, Manafort, or Flynn. As well, the Republicans looked like partisan hacks who care more about their party than our democracy. Just my opinion but at this point, I don’t think we could have hoped for any more out of today’s hearing.

I missed this earlier — that the FBI was investigating this also. Whoa!

FBI’s Russian-influence probe includes a look at far-right news sites

Federal investigators are examining whether far-right news sites played any role last year in a Russian cyber operation that dramatically widened the reach of news stories — some fictional — that favored Donald Trump’s presidential bid, two people familiar with the inquiry say.

Operatives for Russia appear to have strategically timed the computer commands, known as “bots,” to blitz social media with links to the pro-Trump stories at times when the billionaire businessman was on the defensive in his race against Democrat Hillary Clinton, these sources said.
    Russian President Vladimir Putin is accused by the FBI of ordering a campaign intended to influence the U.S. election. Mikhail Klimentyev AP

The bots’ end products were largely millions of Twitter and Facebook posts carrying links to stories on conservative internet sites such as Breitbart News and InfoWars, as well as on the Kremlin-backed RT News and Sputnik News, the sources said. Some of the stories were false or mixed fact and fiction, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the bot attacks are part of an FBI-led investigation into a multifaceted Russian operation to influence last year’s elections.

Interesting:

…according to an analysis of FBI crime data, counties labeled as “sanctuary” jurisdictions by federal immigration authorities have lower crime rates than comparable non-sanctuary counties.