Breaking . . Boston Bombing Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Arraigned – WCVB BostonPosted: April 22, 2013
Moments ago, WCVB Boston reported that, according to “a federal official,” Boston Marathon Bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been arraigned in his hospital bed.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving accused Boston Marathon bomber, has been arraigned in his hospital bed, a federal official tells NewsCenter 5’s Kelley Tuthill.
The complaint against him has been sealed, according to Gary Wente, the circuit executive for the U.S. Courts in Boston.
Law enforcement sources tell ABC News Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the second suspect in the Boston Marathon Bombing, is awake and responding sporadically in writing to questions.
The source told ABC’s Pierre Thomas investigators were questioning the 19-year-old Tsarnaev about other cell members and other unexploded bombs, but said no details were given yet on answers.
More information from Twitter — no links yet.
WCVB reporter Tuthill “a little frustrated” that no pool reporter was allowed to be present at the arraignment–they had been told it would be “public.”
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney has no announced that Tsarnaev will not be treated as an “enemy combatant.”
Suck it, Lindsey!!
WCVB has also posted a newly released photo of Tsarnaev leaving an ATM after using the card stolen from the highjack victim.
I’ll post more details in the comment thread as I get them.
Boston bombing suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev “will not be treated as an enemy combatant,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said Monday.
Carney’s statement comes after a group of Republican lawmakers led by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) have called for Tsarnaev to be treated as an enemy combatant, at least for the purposes of interrogation. “The suspect, based upon his actions, clearly is a good candidate for enemy combatant status. We do not want this suspect to remain silent,” Graham said in a statement along with Sens. John McCain and Kelly Ayotte, and Rep. Peter King.
Tsarnaev, Carney said, is a U.S. citizen and should be treated as such and tried in civilian court. “This is absolutely the right way to go and the appropriate way to go,” he said.
The Justice Department and Attorney General Eric Holder made the determination of how to try Tsarnaev and “the whole national security team supports this decision,” Carney said, adding that because the suspect is a citizen, there is no other option for how to try him.