It’s a Wrap! Live Blog 3: End of Candy’s Townhall

It’s ended.  What do you think?

Romney just talked about how it’s all about his belief in God and his missionary work and his work on the Olympics.  WTF?

Here’s a transcript if you missed it and the first question was:

Mr. President, Governor Romney, as a 20-year-old college student, all I hear from professors, neighbors and others is that when I graduate, I will have little chance to get employment. What can you say to reassure me, but more importantly my parents, that I will be able to sufficiently support myself after I graduate?

Here’s the NYT fact check of the debate:

One question heading into the debate: how would the president handle Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s acceptance of responsibility for the violence in Libya?

His decision was to embrace the responsibility.

“Secretary Clinton has done an extraordinary job,” he said. “But she works for me.”

He also was aggressive in pushing back against Mr. Romney’s accusation that his administration has played politics in the aftermath of the killings of four Americans in Libya.

Looking straight at Mr. Romney, he said: “The suggestion that anybody on my team, the secretary of state, our U.N. ambassador, anybody on my team, would play politics or mislead, when we’ve lost four of our own, is offensive, Governor.”

WHO won?

107 Comments on “It’s a Wrap! Live Blog 3: End of Candy’s Townhall”

Here’s the wrap up!!!

Oh, Obama won. Definitely.

BTW, Mr. President, you may think Romney’s a good man, but I don’t.

Obama won hands down. And Romney looked like a bully. The audience noticed it too.

• ANonOMouse says:

Mitt is a Boardroom Bully. I’ve seen many of them. If he’d had a gavel he would have pounded it and demanded the floor

One of the best Obama zings was when he said Romney is more extreme than Bush was on social issues.

• ANonOMouse says:

Absolutely. He was on his toes, well informed, took the fight to Mitty, and didn’t cede an inch. I thought his performance was remarkable. Now that should energize the base for the stretch run.

4. ANonOMouse says:

Winner….Obama, hands down.

5. It was a relief to see Obama tonight. Big sigh from me…

6. peggysue22 says:

No question. Barack Obama scored big time and saved the 47% knockout punch, a masterful stroke, for his closing comments. Romney was rattled, looked stressed out and came across on several occasions as a rude lout.

The lout was taken to the woodshed and whipped. The Prince of Wonkiness was spanked by Biden last week. The Deadly Duo has been disintegrated. Hopefully, permanently.

7. Riverbird says:

Obama won this round. No doubt about it.

InTrade has Obama winning the debate at 91%

Game, set and match to Obama. He got it; he fought back; he gave us all more than ample reason to carry on the fight. http://thebea.st/V7xk8A

Again, sully off the death watch list.

Amanda Terkel ‏@aterkel
    Reince Priebus just said on Fox that Crowley helped Obama lie about Libya #debates

Andrew Sullivan

10.40 pm. To my mind, Obama dominated Romney tonight in every single way: in substance, manner, style, and personal appeal. He came back like a lethal, but restrained predator. He was able to defend his own record, think swiftly on his feet, and his Benghazi answer was superb. He behaved luke a president. He owned the presidency. And Romney? Well, he has no answers on the math question and was exposed. He was vulnerable on every social issue, especially immigration. And he had no real answer to the question of how he’d be different than George W Bush.

I’m excitable – but sometimes politics is about emotion as well as reason. And my view is that Obama halted Romney’s momentum in its tracks and his performance will bring women voters in particular flooding back. He’s just more persuasive. On watching with the sound off – apart from weird gaps in the CSPAN coverage – Obama did not grin like Biden; he smiled confidently, leaning forward. Within twenty minutes, Romney looked flush and a little schvitzy.

12. ANonOMouse says:

My partner just said “he whipped it, he whipped it good” 🙂

We had an earthquake in New England tonight. A friend of mine on Facebook said earlier she felt one. Turns out she did.

Media Matters ‏@mmfa
    Overcoming post-truth politics, and challenging the “12 million jobs” claim: http://bit.ly/Tu9Cwd #CNNdebate

CBS Snap Poll: Obama wins.

CBS snap poll of undecided voters, MoE 4%
    Obama 37
    Romney 30
    Tie 33

• pdgrey says:

What the hell were they watching? Fuck uncommited voters!

• ANonOMouse says:

CNN has an internet poll that has Obama winning by wide margins. The uncommited need to wake up and pay attention. If they haven’t decided by now, they’re not likely to vote.

• RalphB says:

Snap polls are so poor! But I’ll take anything now. Even if they called 300 people who didn’t watch the debate, like CNN with Biden 🙂

16. jawbone says:

What stood out for me, just listening, is that Romney is way underrated as an A #1 Asshole.

He’s as least a world class A #1 Asshole Extraordinaire.

He just showed how incredibly entititled he feels himself to be, once again running roughshod over the debate/townhall moderator. It was almost stunning that he then proceeded to do it over and over again. It takes some brass ones to be such an asshole on national TV.

Oh, and nice touch that he was even, perhaps, a bit more rude to Candy Crowley than he was to Jim Lehrer. Ouch. Hope women were paying attention to that bit of misogyny. And, once again, he was trying to run roughshod over his opponent, but this time Obama was ready for it.

But Romney has no respect for anyone who is not of the Point Zero One of the One Percent.

I kept thinking that Romney would rather filibuster than let the people ask their questions of him. And his underlying attitude is that “those people” have no damn right to think they can ask questions of him! He and Ann have answered as many as can be borne.

Oh, and that fake sincerity? If he becomes president I may have to stop watching and listening to any news programs. But, somehow, I think the pandering attempts to at least sound sincere will be gone if he wins. He will simply be outright unbearable.

What a sickening choice the voters of this nation are presented with….

• Beata says:

Very good points. Well said.

I think it was telling that Romney was such a bully toward Crowley, Shouldn’t she have been home cleaning up after dinner and doing some laundry? What kind of unnatural woman is she? /s

He just showed how incredibly entititled he feels himself to be.

His voice of fake sincerity is very like Bush’s.

Andrew Sullivan is elated … my diagnosis is bi polar … but hey, i’m just an economist … what say you Dr Boomer?

18. Pat Johnson says:

Thank god! Obama was alive, alert, and engaged!

Mitt Romney thought he could get away with taking over the floor once again and came off as the arrogant asshole he is. What a tool!

bb: did you feel the earthquake around 7pm tonight? It went on for about 15 seconds here in Western MA.

19. ecocatwoman says:

O’Donnell/Pataki – Keystone XL. Pataki is full of shit! 60,000 jobs? NO! The constant lies about Keystone make me crazy. That goes for what was said during the debate too.

• jawbone says:

Continual lies are a part of the Gish Gallop. If listeners have to continually fact check, they have less time to focus on the underlying issues. If they can’t trust the facts, they also start to throw up their hands and tune out of the debate.

It’s deliberate among Repubs on the whole, maybe some Dems use it, but it’s a conservative technique, finely honed to disrupt opponents and guests on FOX or rightwing talk radio.

I am so damn glad to have a name for this malicious form of argument!!!

20. Fannie says:

Switched over to Fox, and what’s his name, Privous? is saying that Romney cleaned up the stage, and it was a disaster for Obama…………………..Thanks but we saw the debate and Obama was cooler than Santa.

ROFLOL!!

• Pat Johnson says:

lol

So glad to see you! You have no idea how glad I am to be able to read what you write about without it being a “guilty” pleasure if you know what I mean!!

• ANonOMouse says:

LMAO. HO-HO-HO

• I guess I’m the only one here who didn’t find this a satisfying debate–though i only got to watch the latter third maybe. Neither of them stayed on topic, though. It was pretty weird debate to me. One candidates plan to get us more jobs to compete with the ones being outsourced to China was to go after knock off Apple stores in China. And the other guy took responsibility after Hillary Clinton did. Hmm, sounds like every other debate Obama supposedly won…”what Hillary said”. No wonder. That’s what was missing from the first debate. A copy off Hillary Clinton’s paper opportunity.

/random nesting

• Seriously says:

Those are really good observations, as always, girl. It’s hard to go from actual statesmanship to–this, but it is what it is I guess.

• Seriously says:

Well, at least statesmanship still has an effect, a few freinds have called to apologize for their horrible judgment back when. 😉

• jawbone says:

As it stands here in NJ, I still the luxury of voting for Jill Stein. Her platform has mostly planks from the Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party, with homage to FDR and LBJ. She wants to build on what those giants accomplished.

21. Pat Johnson says:

Just read the comments from the top on down.

Personally, I thought Candy Crowley could have done a better job but when she validated Obama’s Rose Garden statement she was on her toes.

And note that Obama took the blame for any deficiency coming out of the State Dept which is a mark of a leader.

I can come off the ceiling now what with the debate performance and the earthquake which shook it up here a little.

22. pdgrey says:

Right now, all channels are Rep puppy killers.

Maddow says no Repubs in the spin room after the debate. Too bad, so sad, you lost.

• RalphB says:

Less than half way through, the wingnuts began complaining about Crowley and the “planted” questions. You can always tell when they’re losing that way. 🙂

If you haven’t seen this yet, go to:

Note the correction on the R/R logo up top, too.

25. pdgrey says:

Binders full of wimmins! We are so hard to find.

We should shut up, cook dinner, and go ride our horses.

• ANonOMouse says:

And he let the woman go home early to cook dinner for the kids, doncha know? What a condescending bastard, why didn’t he pay her enough so she could hire a maid to cook for the children, like Queen Ann did. Oh no, I forget, that would have taken money from his Cayman fund

• Beata says:

We’re busy cleaning the dust bunnies out from under the bed!

• roofingbird says:

Mark Shields had a good point that Romney’s direction to his staff to find more women was affirmative action.

Not a true story.

What actually happened was that in 2002 — prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration — a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.

I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I’ve checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I’ve just presented it is correct — and that Romney’s claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false.

I will write more about this later, but for tonight let me just make a few quick additional points. First of all, according to MassGAP and MWPC, Romney did appoint 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments, which is a reasonably impressive 42 percent. However, as I have reported before, those were almost all to head departments and agencies that he didn’t care about — and in some cases, that he quite specifically wanted to not really do anything. None of the senior positions Romney cared about — budget, business development, etc. — went to women.

Secondly, a UMass-Boston study found that the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006. (It then began rapidly rising when Deval Patrick took office.)

Third, note that in Romney’s story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn’t know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?

• RalphB says:

Apparently Binders of Women how has it’s own twitter account and facebook page. It’s a new meme.

26. jawbone says:

An aside about “Gish Galloping” —

Rpmney’s torrents of lies, irrelevancies, misstatments, interruptions designed to throw off both his opponent and the moderator actually has a name — Gish Gallop. It’s what conservatives have been practicing on talk shows and television for years now, but I never realized it was a deliberately designed and trained in technique — I just thought they were assholes.

But it is something developed somewhat well, and people can be trained to be such assholes.

Fascinating. And Romney was a bit so obvious about how he used it that it caught the attention of those who pay attention to public discussion techniques.

Search brought up several references to Romney after the initial Wiki entry for “Gish Gallop”.

27. RalphB says:

28. From huffpo:

Picture says a lot!

29. RalphB says:

Paul Begala on Twitter: “I believe we’re all children of God. And some of those children need to be laid off, have their pensions raided & health care canceled.”

30. Beata says:

Obama will have a lot of good sound bites coming out of this debate. That’s important. He was calm, in control, and respectful. Romney was just a nasty bully. Women in particular will remember his boorish behavior. We’ve all had at least one man in our personal or professional lives like that.

NBC’s Brian Williams Asks Obama Spokeswoman If “Your Camp Overcorrected In Terms Of The Flashes Of Anger”

Wow, MSNBC focus group mostly voting for Romney because “he has a good track record as governor.”

WTF?!

• RalphB says:

Guess you can’t cure stupid!

• pdgrey says:

I guess the Obama camp has to correct that, too. Who the hell are these people?

• Beata says:

They’re Romney supporters who were pretending to be undecided.

• RalphB says:

You can easily tell Obama won because there are very few links on memeorandum about the debate outcome. Minutes after Romney’s win, it was full of stories.

• pdgrey says:

Here is a comment knew was coming
        Romney campaign chair and former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu (R-NH) in the spin room: “The president quite often is a liar.”

• pdgrey says:

On CNN just now, conservative pundit Alex Castellanos said that women in America saw Romney and Obama as competing “jocks” in tonight’s debate, and that he doesn’t think women will be “turned on” by the performance they saw:

I think — I thought a lot of women in America saw a debate tonight where two high school jocks didn’t like each other very much and I’m not sure they are going to be turned on by this debate.

I just love it when men tell me how I feel.

• Beata says:

Castellanos comes across like a professional gambler who spends most of his time in Vegas with some “arm candy” young enough to be his grandaughter. Yeah, he knows how babes – I mean women – think. What a sleeze.

Personally, I don’t vote on how “turned on” I am. Is that what men do?