Eric Holder Speaks the Truth: Voter ID Laws = Poll Taxes

Today Eric Holder spoke to the annual NAACP convention in Houston, TX, and as he was discussing the Texas voter ID law, which the Justice Department believes is illegal, he “deviated from his prepared remarks,” and said something I have long wanted him to say:

“Under the proposed law, concealed handgun licenses would be acceptable forms of photo ID, but student IDs would not,” Holder said, referring specifically to the voter ID law passed in Texas. “Many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them, and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them. We call those poll taxes.”

That last line was not part of Holder’s prepared remarks released to the press.

Holder has been very critical of voter ID laws in the past, but this appears to be the first time he’s gone as far as to compare them to the Jim Crow-era effort to purposefully disenfranchise African-Americans.

I wasn’t able to find video of Holder’s speech on Youtube, but you can watch it at the above link to Talking Points Memo.

According to Huffington Post, Holder added:

“I don’t know what will happen as this case moves forward, but I can assure you that the Justice Department’s efforts to uphold and enforce voting rights will remain aggressive,” the attorney general said.

Holder said the arc of American history has always moved toward expanding the electorate and that “we will simply not allow this era to be the beginning of the reversal of that historic progress.”

“I will not allow that to happen,” he added.

In 1962, the 24th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution made poll taxes unconstitutional in federal elections. Virginia, Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi still had the poll tax requirement at that time.

However, it was not until the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6–3 in Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections (1966) that poll taxes for state elections were declared unconstitutional because they violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Poll taxes were used in conjunction with literacy tests and other means–including violence–to prevent African Americans from voting beginning with Reconstruction and continuing until the SCOTUS decision in 1966.

I can still recall the days when poll taxes, literacy tests, and other means of disenfranchisement were used in Southern states. Even the secret ballot was originally designed to prevent illiterate voters from getting help to fill out their ballots.

Now the Republican Party, along with enablers like ALEC, are trying to return us to the ugliness of deliberate voter disenfranchisment. Republicans should be ashamed for trying to effectively reinstate poll taxes by forcing people to pay for an ID as a condition of voting. This time, in addition to African Americans, the targets are students, senior citizens, and people with disabilities.

Mitt Romney will be speaking to the NAACP convention tomorrow. Will he address the voter ID issue? I doubt it, but if he had the guts this could be an opportunity for him to pick up some votes. Ben Jealous told the NYT that many African American voters are disappointed in President Obama.

“Romney could do much better than John McCain,” said Benjamin Todd Jealous, the president of the N.A.A.C.P., the 103-year-old group Mr. Romney plans to address Wednesday at its annual convention in Houston….

“If he’s going to pick up more support in the black community,” Mr. Jealous said, “he has to send a message that he’s prepared to lead on issues that we care about.”

Topping the list is a wave of voter identification laws that Democrats say will suppress minority participation in November. “We are living through the greatest wave of legislative assaults on voting rights in more than a century,” Mr. Jealous said Monday in his opening speech at the convention. “In the past year, more states have passed more laws pushing more voters out of the ballot box than at any time since the rise of Jim Crow.”

Nearly a dozen states have passed strict voter ID laws in the last two years largely with the support of Republican lawmakers, who say that they are needed to prevent fraud. Democrats argue that the laws are really meant to suppress turnout by poor and minority voters, who tend to vote Democratic and who disproportionately lack government-issued identification.

It’s highly unlikely that Romney will address the voter ID issue, but stranger things have happened.

In any case, I’m glad that Holder has finally spoken the truth about the motives behind these laws and called them what they are–deliberate attempts to reinstate poll taxes. And this time, it’s not just in the South. We cannot allow the Republicans to get away with this outrage.

60 Comments on “Eric Holder Speaks the Truth: Voter ID Laws = Poll Taxes”

1. Oswald says:

Student ID’s don’t indicate residency or citizenship.

BTW – You need ID to get into the NAACP convention.

So? Once again, you miss the point. Attending the NAACP convention is not in any way equivalent to voting.

• Opinionatedlady says:

Exactly, Bostonboomer. So Oswald is saying that attending a conference is as important as the right to vote?

• RalphB says:

To get a concealed carry permit in TX, you only need a drivers license and social security number. You don’t need to be a TX resident.

From the TX-DPS webpage:

(2) Driver license number. An applicant shall provide a valid driver license number or identification certificate number issued by the department or by the issuing agency in the state of residence for non-resident applicants. Non-resident applicants and license holders must submit color photocopies of the front and back of their valid driver license or identification card issued by the appropriate state agency in their home state.

So why is this valid identification to vote in TX? Huh?

IDs are for things like check cashing. This obsession with IDs borders on fascism. No one use to need crap like this. No marriage certificates. No need for ids to buy land. It is just a way to extract fees and keep track of people. Other people who know you could basically id you. Pure fascism.

• RalphB says:

The point is that a gun license, which the TX law recognizes as valid, is not valid at all. Yet student IDs are considered invalid. The ID law is TX is a vehicle to disenfranchise poor and minority voters and is pure crap.

Thanks Ralph. I wondered about the hunting license, because Dick Cheney went hunting in Texas and he wasn’t a resident at the time.

The simple fact is that these laws should be unconstitutional under the 24th amendment. They require people either to spend money on an ID or create a terrible barrier to voting for people who are elderly, disabled, can’t drive, or don’t have a birth certificate. I sure hope someone is suing in PA.

There is absolutely no way to defend these laws unless you believe in fascism.

• Locked-N-Loaded says:

The Voter ID law in Georgia has been in effect since 2007.

The photo IDs are free for anyone who does not have one of the six valid photo IDs.

A federal judge ultimately dismissed the ACLU/NAACP lawsuit in part because the plaintiffs were unable to provide any evidence to substantiate the claims that “a large number of Georgia voters lack acceptable Photo ID” or “uncover anyone ‘who can attest to the fact that he/she will be prevented from voting’” by the photo ID requirement.

In the 2008 presidential election, Georgia had the largest turnout of minority voters in its history.

The percentage of increase in minority voter turnout for a presidential election, from 2004 (before the law) and 2008 (after the law) are as follows:

Hispanic/Latino – 140% increase
      Black – 42% increase
      White – 8% increase

The percentage of increase in minority voter turnout for midterm elections, from 2006 (before the law) and 2010 (after the law) are as follows:

Hispanic/Latino – 66.5% increase
      Black – 44.2% increase
      White – 11.7% increase

For those who do not have transportation, many groups and organizations all across the state have volunteers that will provide free transportation.

What are the requirements for getting the ID? In PA, they require a birth certificate. That eliminates quite a few elderly people. They also have a 4-week waiting list. That is going to disenfranchise a lot more people.

Why do you feel a voter id law is necessary? Isn’t it a little more urgent to make sure candidates’ supporters aren’t rigging the voting machines and stuffing ballot boxes? Of course the voting machine companies are owned by Republicans…..

• I live in GA and photo id is not free! Also, to get it you need your birth certificate and your ssn card…they also back check the numbers with the SSA. I had problems with my son when I got his photo id card. It is not as easy as you think!

• Beata says:

Locked-N-Loaded:

I am reposting this from Uppity Woman’s blog because it is too tiring for me to rewrite the whole thing. I hope Uppity won’t mind. I wrote it back in 2011 about the voter ID law in Indiana. When Indiana first implemented their voter ID law, I was denied the right to cast my vote. I had a university-issued photo ID rather than a BMV-issued photo ID because I am disabled and can’t drive. The voter ID law was new then and Indiana voters were not informed before showing up at the polls about what types of photo IDs would be allowed. But I was determined to get a state-issued photo ID so I could vote in the next election. This was my experience:

“Re: ID cards and how easy they are to get

I am disabled. I have an inoperable brain tumor that causes numerous neurological problems. I cannot drive. Because of my disability, it is also very hard for me to take the bus. I needed a new state ID card in order to vote. I was unable to find a ride to the BMV, so I took the bus. The BMV is 1 hour and 20 minutes each way on the bus from my house. When I got to the BMV, there was a long wait. I had to stand because there wasn’t anywhere to sit. After about an hour, the computers went down. Everyone was told to come back the next day. So I took the 1 hour and 20 minute ride home, exhausted. I went back the next day, again on the bus. The computers were working but the wait was very long. Again no where to sit. Finally I got my card, but I had missed the bus, so I had to wait another hour for the next one to come. I don’t know how many hours all of this took. I am not very good with math. But easy to get an ID? It sure didn’t feel like it to me.”

There was no free transportation to the BMV for people like me. I paid my own bus fare both days. I also paid for the documentation necessary to get the ID. In addition to the financial cost, I will attest that the entire experience was beyond exhausting for someone with disabilities. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

• Locked-N-Loaded says:

Georgia Voter ID Requirements: http://sos.georgia.gov/GAPhotoID/FAQ.html

To receive a free Voter ID Card from your county registrar’s office you must show one of the following documents:
        1. A photo identity document, except that a non-photo identity document is acceptable if it includes both the applicant’s full legal name and date of birth.
        2. Documentation showing the applicant’s date of birth
        3. Evidence that the applicant is registered to vote in the state of Georgia
        4. Documentation showing the applicant’s name and principal residence address

These are acceptable photo identity documents for #1 above:
        1. Student identification card including public or private high school, college, university or vocational schools
        2. Transit card
        3. Pilot’s license
        4. Nursing Home Identification Card
        5. Employee Identification card
        6. Government Housing Authority Identification Card
        7. Any government issued license
        8. Any card accepted by local, state or federal government for the provision of benefits
        9. Any card accepted by local, state or federal government for access to buildings

These are acceptable non-photo documents for #1 above:
        1. An original birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate
        2. Certificate of birth registration
        3. Voter registration application
        4. Copy of records filed in a court by the applicant or on behalf of the applicant by the applicant’s counsel
        5. Naturalization documentation
        6. Copy of Marriage License Application
        7. A copy of the applicant’s State or Federal Tax Return filed for the previous calendar year
        8. Any other document issued by local, state, or federal government so long as the document provides a reasonably reliable confirmation of the identity of the applicant
        9. Paycheck or paycheck stub bearing the imprinted name of the applicant’s employer
        10. An original of the annual social security statement received by the applicant for the current or preceding year
        11. An original of a Medicare or Medicaid statement received by the applicant
        12. Certified school record or transcript for the current or preceding year
        13. Hospital birth certificate
        14. An authenticated copy of a doctor’s record of post-natal care
        15. A federal affidavit of birth, form DS-10

I think this voter ID law in GA is very accomodating to everyone. There is no waiting list, but it takes about ten days to get the photo ID in the mail.

I am very concerned and agree with you that the electronic voting machines are a serious problem, especially here in GA where there is no paper trail. I had a little experience as a computer programmer and I know how easy it is to change the numbers.

• Locked-N-Loaded says:

Beata that situation is just awful. Here, once you are a registered voter, you can vote by absentee ballot and therefore not show any kind of ID to vote.

I just renewed my driver’s license last Saturday and while I was there a bus from a senior center brought some people and as I was leaving another small bus brought some people in wheel chairs.

At the driver services location that I went to, there were at least a hundred chairs inside and more than half were empty while I was there. I was there for about 40 minutes, but only beause the computers were down for about 30 minutes.

They do give you a temporary photo license or ID right then that is good for 30 days while you wait for the one in the mail. The photo ID is only free to registered voters.

I know in my county, if you call the Democratic party, they will get a volunteer to take you to register or to get a photo ID.

• Beata says:

In case Oswald wants to know about computers going down when Gov. Daniels first computerized Indiana’s BMVs, ask Lola. It was a on-going state-wide disaster that lasted longer than any Hoosier cares to remember.

And Lola, I don’t doubt the horrific story about your daughter. I am very sorry about the pain you both suffered. Please ask your blog pals to extend the same courtesy to me and not question my story. It’s an unpleasant one for me to remember. Thanks.

Oh Beata, that’s horrible! Thank you for telling your story.

My bottom line: Voter ID = “show me your papers” = fascism

• ANonOMouse says:

Beata….Just the notion that you had to go through all that for a photo ID is infuriating. Why is it so difficult for folks to understand what a ridiculous burden these requirements put on most of the disabled, minorities and seniors? Have folks lost their ability to empathize with those who can’t drive, aren’t near mass transit or can’t afford the cost of a photo ID or can’t afford or can’t acquire documentation necessary for a state issued ID. Only the IGNORANT and/or aplogists could believe that these voter purges, or in your case, disqualification, are for anything but Voter suppression. Everytime I hear that they’re being done to keep illegal aliens from voting I can’t control my laughter. Nothing screams bullshit louder than the thought that illegals are risking deportation by showing up at the voting booth. And the notion that the outcomes of elections are being influenced by the VOTING DEAD is an even more absurd notion than the FRETTING over illegals voting, It’s all a work of fiction. The GOP-Teabots know exactly who is affected by these onerous “PROVE WHO YOU ARE” laws. and they know why they’ve used the plan concocted by ALEC to implement these laws.

I’ve been voting for 45 years, at the same polling place for nearly 12 years, yet a few months ago I had to show my photo ID when I voted. Ironically the person who asked for it, didn’t even really look at it, had he, he would have noticed that the photo was of a considerably YOUNGER me. I’m a senior and there is no requirement in our state law for Seniors age 60+ to have a DL with a photo ID, but when I renew my DL I aways opt to pay the extra renewal fee to keep the photo ID which is a photo of me from 12 years ago. I am already anticipating the day when I’m turned away at the polls for not looking like the ME from 2000. On that day, I will bring a bit of hell to earth.

Most people vote in their own neighborhoods. When I go to vote, the poll workers know who I am. Before I get a ballot, I have to state my address, not my name. I don’t believe for one minute that anyone is going into these polling places and voting in other people’s names.

If someone wants to fix the election, they can fix the voting machines or stuff the ballot box. That’s the kind of fraud we should be worried about.

• Locked-N-Loaded says:

I have been voting at the same polling place (a Baptist church) for ten years and I have never recognized anyone at the polling place and no one has recognized me.

My daughter moved from Georgia seven years ago (2005), yet she is still on the voter rolls here. When I checked into it, they said that they had records that she had voted in 2006, 2008, and 2010. So somebody else has been voting in her name. In order to get her name off the voter rolls here, they said she would have to hire a lawyer.

Voter suppression in Georgia–not ID related, but purging voter rolls, as FL has done.

In 2008, more than 98,000 registered Georgia voters were removed from the roll of eligible voters because of a computer mismatch in their personal identification information, leading registrars to conclude that they were no longer eligible Georgia voters at their registered addresses. At least 4,500 of those people must prove their citizenship to regain their right to vote, but opponents say that could be an impossible burden to meet. For example, the state of Georgia gave college senior Kyla Berry one week to prove her citizenship in a letter dated October 2, 2008. Unfortunately, the letter was postmarked October 9, 2008. However, Berry is a U.S. citizen, born in Boston, Massachusetts with a passport and a birth certificate to prove it. Commenting on Berry’s case and those like it, Wendy Weiser, an elections expert with New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice, said, “What most people don’t know is that every year, elections officials strike millions of names from the voter rolls using processes that are secret, prone to error and vulnerable to manipulation.”

• RalphB says:

I think both of the comments left by this dude are pure bullshit.

• ANonOMouse says:

What Ralph said!!!

Maybe Big Bird needs an ID too …

OT Romney says once again they should be accepting advertising on Sesame Street …

There are programs that I like, like PBS—I mean, my grandkids watch PBS, they like to watch Sesame Street. You know, I just don’t think we can afford to borrow money from China to pay for things we absolutely don’t have to do. So in the case of PBS, I’d tell them to get advertisers or more contributors, but the government is not going to pick up the bill by borrowing money..
    “We’re not going to kill Big Bird,” Romney said. “But Big Bird is going to have advertisements. Alright?”

Romney apparently doesn’t know that PBS already has what are essentially ads. They only get a small percentage of their funding from the government.

5. Woman Voter says:

The veterans not only threw themselves into organizations like the Forum and the older League Of United Latin American Citizens, but they also turned to politics and began to challenge the historic exclusion of Mexicans from the voting booth. The infamous Texas poll tax and other measures to restrict ballot access (such as the all-white primary and annual voter registration months before an election) had been rammed through the Texas legislature at the beginning of the century by the Democratic Party’s white elite to counter the growth of the Populist movement among blacks, Mexicans, and poor whites. At the height of the People’s Party in 1896, for instance, its candidate for governor of Texas carried 44 percent of the vote, with an amazing 88 percent of voting-age adults going to the polls. But after the poll tax became law, turnout in Texas elections plummeted by as much as two-thirds and it failed to reach higher than 40 percent for the first half of the twentieth century. Poor whites, blacks, and Mexicans simply could not afford to pay a tax that in some cases equaled almost 30 percent of the average weekly factory wage in the South. The tax remained in effect until 1966, when a federal judge declared it unconstitutional. Its elimination made it possible for blacks and Mexican Americans to finally return tot he voting rolls in large numbers. (HARVEST OF EMPIRE, REVISED EDITION, A History of Latinos in America, Gonzalez, 2011 pages 170-171)

(bold mine)

The impact on these groups is why the State of Texas must get prior authorization from the Federal Government under the Voting Rights Act prior to any changes for review by the government, to protect the voting rights in the federal case.

• Woman Voter says:

Attorney General Eric Holder has a duty to challenge any changes in Texas per the Federal case, and should challenge other states too, if they too had draconian laws targeting specific populations due to race or poverty.

We need to wake up and see history is repeating itself and many in power are eager to erase history so that they can disenfranchise voters again.

Josh Marshall has SEC filings from 2000 and 2001 that list Mitt Romney as CEO and say that was his principal occupation at the time.

Hmmmm…maybe that’s why he doesn’t want to release his tax returns?

Dailykos diary with even more proof. This is from SEC filings after 1999, when Romney claims he no longer ran Bain.

Mr. W. Mitt Romney, in his capacity as sole shareholder, sole director, Chief Executive Officer and President of Bain Investors VI, Bain Capital, Brookside Investors Inc. and Sankaty Investors II and in his capacity as sole shareholder, a director and President of Sankaty Ltd may be deemed to share voting and dispositive power with respect to the shares held by CLEC members.

What Mitt Romney is REALLY Hiding From in 2001

For 11 1/2 years, we have been trying to get Goldman Sachs & Bain Capital indicted for the massive federal frauds in the eToys 2001 federal case. We not only have overwhelming & irrefutable proof – we also have confessions by Bain Capital’s (secret) attorneys that they “intentionally” lied under oath. Then allowed those lies to stay in the docket record and take their chance on – whether or not – they would get caught.

However, we have run into massive power centers so strong, that they actually corrupted the Department of Justice in Delaware. Colm Connolly was a partner in the Bain Capital law firm until August 2, 2001 – when GWB nominated him for the position of United States Attorney in Delaware. You can go to the direct links of our color chart painting a clear picture (here) & (here). But the biggie issue is the fact that

Mitt Romney resigned as CEO of Bain Capital August 2, 2001

He is hiding something or a bunch of somethings.

7. RalphB says:

ABC is turning into Drudge or Hollywood sidewalk speedbump Breitbart.

ABC NEWS GIVES THE MORONS WHAT THEY WANT

Desperate for right-wing links, and clearly hoping to curry favor with the Romney campaign by aiding and abetting the campaign’s “I’m rubber, you’re glue” strategy, ABC News posts this nothingburger story:

On Obama Adviser’s Disclosure Form: ‘Bermuda’
    […]
    In other words, routine credit card statements can include references to Bermuda simply because insurance companies have subsidiaries there.

So there’s nothing here. But ABC still posted the story, knowing that the M.O. of the right is to distort stories like this in order to bamboozle the rubes. ABC knew the Jarrett/Bermuda link would be widely discussed, and knew there was no actual news value in the story — and still ABC put it out there.

Publishing a story like this in modern-day America is like handing out free drinks at an AA meeting — an AA meeting attended by people with a history of drunken violence. It’s utterly irresponsible. It’s bad for society. There’s no excuse for it.

8. northwestrain says:

Except for the archaic caucus system — Washington is far ahead of most states when it comes to voting. We can vote by mail and for some counties that’s the only way you can vote.

Like BB’s experience — when we did go to a polling place it was run by neighbors. We register to vote and our name was in a book — we sign the book and are given a ballot. No ID required.

I’m glad Holder spoke the truth because what is happening is many places is a poll tax. It is primitive and backward.

9. Oswald says:

ID cards are a necessity these days. If 25 percent of black people lack ID cards, why isn’t the NAACP screaming bloody murder about it? Why aren’t the people opposed to voter ID laws concerned about helping everyone get one?

Um… the NAACP *is* screaming bloody murder. You didn’t read my post at all, did you? Aren’t you the person who thinks Mitt Romney has his money in “bank accounts” and pays taxes on the “interest?”

You need to either get some education or stop pontificating, because all you are doing now is demonstrating your ignorance over and over again.

Once again: Voter ID = “show me your papers” = FASCISM

• Oswald says:

The NAACP is screaming bloody murder about the voter ID law, not that fact that 25% of black people don’t have IDs. Why is that?

From what I’ve read, most of Mitt Romney’s money is invested in stocks and he pays taxes on dividends and capital gains. He doesn’t get a paycheck so his income is classified as “unearned.”

bla, bla bla….

If you want to know something about the NAACP, try contacting them or reading their website. I’m not here to educate you. That’s something you’ll have to do for yourself.

And BTW, *NO ONE* knows what is in Romney’s black box in Bermuda. No one but Mitt and maybe Ann Romney. No one knows how he ended up with $101 million in an IRA. No one knows what’s in any of the other black boxes either. But I’m damn sure they’re not simple “bank accounts.” That’s why Romney is going to have to release his tax returns. He’s got some ‘splainin’ to do. If you don’t like your precious Mitt having to explain himself, that’s too bad, so sad for you.

Romney recently got a payment from Bain of about $1.5 million. That is called earnings. Romney uses a sleazy tax dodge to pay taxes on his Bain earnings as if they were capital gains. No one knows what that was for either. But we do know now that Romney lied when he said he retired from Bain in 2001. Either that or he lied to the SEC.

Because most folks don’t support fascist “show me your papers” regimes. These are tactics straight out of totalitarian countries like NAZI Germany. How different is it from proving you are not a Jew or a homosexual or a nonparty member? Do you think these tactics came from humanitarian democracies? They started in fascist countries and are used to harass and identify “nondesirables”. There is nothing more than a way to harass and disenfranchise people.

• Beata says:

Oswald, regarding my ID story upthread, I did have an ID, as you could see if you read my comment. It was a university-issued photo ID which ( suprise, surprise! ) I got when I was at a university ( wow, imagine that! ) before I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. The ID had no expiration date. Because I can’t drive ( as a result of the tumor ) I used it as my regular ID instead of a driver’s license. It was accepted everywhere until Indiana’s voter ID law which did not allow university photo IDs without expiration dates. Indiana’s law about photo IDs that can be can be used to vote is narrowly limited to certain state- or government-issued photo IDs.

Thank you for your heartfelt interest in my story. It is touching. May I call you or one of your friends the next time I need a ride to the BMV?

Beata,

I really do want to retire in Indiana, but for the past few days I’ve been so happy to live in a blue state that I’ve had some second thoughts.

Some people are just into one upmanship and simply couldn’t care less about paying attention to what other people may be able to teach them.

• Oswald says:

The only ID you ever had was a university ID?

How do you cash your disability checks?

They probably get direct deposited. If the federal government is giving people social security funds and recognizes them without some friggin’ ID card, then you shouldn’t need a frigging ID card access a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT. Unbelievable. This is the state’s interfering with people’s constitutional rights. Just like the damned clinic harassment law in Mississippi meant to close down the state’s last abortion clinic. You do know we have a Constitution and basic rights, yes?

Oswald, you are an asshole. Get lost.

• Delphyne says:

BB @ 8:14 – thank you!

• ANonOMouse says:

Apparently harrassing and intimidating the most vulnerable in our society has become the calling card of the teabot bloggers. What a bunch of asshats.

• ANonOMouse says:

Poor Oswald would rather spend his energy repeating rightwing talking points and attempting to demean Beata than to find out IF it’s possible to function in the USA LEGALLY without a photo ID. He doesn’t know that the government no longer issues checks to Social Security or SS Disability recipients. Funds are either direct deposited or put on an EBT card. But even if those options weren’t being used, the fact remains that those on SS & SS disability cashed checks for decades without photo ID’s. I personally use an ATM card to pay for groceries, gas and other services and I’m never asked for a photo ID. Even when I use a Credit Card I’m not asked for a photo ID. I can’t imagine why some folks want to insist that people cannot function without one. I suppose they want to continue arguing this point because without it their “you have to have a photo ID to do everything else, so why not to vote” completely implodes.

BB put him into moderation. Demeaning cancer survivors is just nasty. Nasty is not the new black no matter what kinds of demeanor is encouraged elseblog.

How does “Oswald” even know that Beata receives disability checks? He needs to mind his own business and stop berating and bullying people. If he wants to do that, he can do it at his usual hangout.

• ANonOMouse says:

I’m glad y’all nipped that in bud BB. You know I have the reputation for going all Postal on folks like Oswald, then you’d have to put me moderation, just to shut me up. 🙂

Well, he’s been filtered by us now. None of us like to see any one be personally attacked. That’s the one hard fast rule we have around here.

Rep. John Lewis on the fight to win voting rights–and now the fight to keep them.

NOTE TO TROLLS: This blog rejects fascism!!

11. Fannie says:

Let’s face it the republicans are creating poll taxes on the disabled, elderely, and blacks, once again, we need to resisit this action. Thank you Beata for sharing your story, it’s very clear that you have been treated unfairly.

Time for us to right this wrong.

• Voter ID laws cost millions of dollars to implement. Missouri estimated that a new voter ID law would cost the state
      close to $6 million in the first year, and around $4 million in the second and third years of implementation
      .1 Legislators
      should confront the serious problems the state and its people face, instead of allocating funds to address a problem that does
      not even exist.
      • Voter ID requirements will add substantial new burdens on election administrators and poll workers. Introducing
      a voter ID requirement will require an extensive public education campaign, including mailings, advertising and public
      service announcements, and added poll worker training.
      • Numerous studies have found that the rare examples of voter fraud are almost never the kind that could be
      prevented by a photo identification law.2 Voter ID laws address one exceedingly rare form of voter fraud: impersonation of
      another registered voter at the polls.
      • Eleven percent of the population does not have the type of identification required by these laws.
      • Students are particularly harmed by photo ID requirements. Any student not attending a public university will be
      unable to use their student ID to vote. And many students are unlikely to have a driver’s license that reflects their campus
      address.4
      • The elderly and persons with disabilities will be disenfranchised. Many older people no longer drive or maintain up-to-date driver’s licenses.5 Seniors will be unfairly blocked from voting because they lack this most common and acceptable
      form of voter ID.
      • African Americans, Latinos and new American citizens are far less likely to have identification. Such groups have
      been the historic targets of disfranchisement efforts in this country. Strict voter identification laws target them once again.6
      • Just after a presidential election in which we saw historic turnout among young people, African Americans and
      Latinos, some legislators want to take those advances away.
      • Voter ID laws exacerbate low voter turnout, a major problem confronting our democracy. This is no time to enact
      measures that risk depressing the vote of seniors, students, people of color and other citizens.